Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

I can't even get on him for quitting, his jaw looked like it went into another direction with that shot. 
eek.gif
And to think, he was ahead on all cards.

How do you even come back from this? Before the Maidana fight, Ortiz was suppose to be the "next" Oscar. Redeemed himself with the Berto fight, now...

I guess Lopez is a lot better than we give him credit for. Still think he got robbed against that bum Vargas. He has no business at 147 though...

EDIT: Thought the corner stopped it...it was Ortiz who wanted out.
eyes.gif

How dope was it when Joselito laned that Right and he put his hand on his hip like he was putting it in his holster and told Ortiz to "come on" Ortiz backed wayyy the %%+% up

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Josesito took Ortiz's heart in the 7th round. Lopez proved he can take Vic's shots and he scared Vic into moonwalking the entire round.

Thats how You take your opponents heart

pimp.gif
his left hook to the body

when asked about fighting at 140 and 147, Lopez: "I'll fight anyone, I'm the Mexican Paul Williams"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Canelo looked so mad when Ortiz threw in the towel. I wonder who he is going to fight next.

That's 3 fights that have been canceled now Kirkland, Williams, and now Ortiz.

Didn't Arthur Abraham beat Miranda in his prime w/ a broken jaw? This certainly won't help Oritz's quitter label. You can even argue he quit in the Mayweather fight out of frustration. Maybe that's a reach, but it's that lack of mental toughness and willingness to tap out that is really unreal to me for a fighter at this level. Who's there for Canelo to fight now?

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Didn't Arthur Abraham beat Miranda in his prime w/ a broken jaw? This certainly won't help Oritz's quitter label. You can even argue he quit in the Mayweather fight out of frustration. Maybe that's a reach, but it's that lack of mental toughness and willingness to tap out that is really unreal to me for a fighter at this level. Who's there for Canelo to fight now?
Is Abhraham the standard for heart?  the warrior Morales quit after 3 round with Pacman while healthy. No one will call him a quitter though.
Hilarious to me that Mayeweather (when explainable why he wont fight Pac) and Cotto (when saying why he won't leave it all in the ring) have said health is their #1 priority  but Ortiz follows up with  it and he gets labeled quitter. He';ll bounce back like Vitali did after after the Byrd loss. Worst thing is this means more inactivity for a young fighter.

Molina deserves Canelo. Arguably beat Lara too

laugh.gif
I'm gonna leave it alone. I loved when he said the Mexican Paul Williams
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Oh and make Matthyse-Maidana for an undercard for the Alvarez fight.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Is Abhraham the standard for heart?  the warrior Morales quit after 3 round with Pacman while healthy. No one will call him a quitter though.
Hilarious to me that Mayeweather (when explainable why he wont fight Pac) and Cotto (when saying why he won't leave it all in the ring) have said health is their #1 priority  but Ortiz follows up with  it and he gets labeled quitter. He';ll bounce back like Vitali did after after the Byrd loss. Worst thing is this means more inactivity for a young fighter.

Molina deserves Canelo. Arguably beat Lara too

ortiz has quit 3 times already...3 @$#%$#@ times..

Originally Posted by Proshares

laugh.gif
I'm gonna leave it alone. I loved when he said the Mexican Paul Williams
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Oh and make Matthyse-Maidana for an undercard for the Alvarez fight.

We have to see that fight eventually, Probably will be a main event though.

Great %+#!##! fight.

I can't really call it because I don't know what kind of pain Ortiz was in. I thought it was lame that he kind of went right to the ref and didn't seem to be talking to his corner.

Maybe he could have turtled up and moved for the last few rounds. But he was taking some solid shots.

But even if he had won, would he have been ready to fight Canelo in Sept. if his jaw was broken in this fight?

Dude just lost out MAJOR. For the 2nd time in a row now.

Yeah, even if Ortiz continued he wouldn't have been ready for the Canelo fight.
It's tough for me to kill Ortiz...I know we all expect more from our fighters, but a broken jaw is no joke. 

I know a lot of people are throwing names around like Ali and Sweet Pea and Abraham, but everyone's threshold is different. 

A good example is Israel Vazquez. Dude is a warrior. No one can deny that. However, Rafael Marquez broke Vazquez' nose in the first fight, and he quit on the stool. Pacquiao broke Juan Manuel Marquez' nose in the first round and he went on to give that boy hell. So does that mean Vazquez is weak and Marquez is strong? Like dude before me said, Pacquiao made Morales quit in three rounds. Is Morales weak and Marquez is strong? All three of those dudes are tough SOBs IMO. 

I can't kill Ortiz for folding this time. 

On another note, Lucas Matthysse might be my new favorite fighter. That guy right there is lethal. What 140 pounder wants it with that dude? I like Amir Khan, but Matthysse is the last thing he wants to see in the ring... 

Originally Posted by Milkman Dead

Yeah, even if Ortiz continued he wouldn't have been ready for the Canelo fight.
It's tough for me to kill Ortiz...I know we all expect more from our fighters, but a broken jaw is no joke. 

I know a lot of people are throwing names around like Ali and Sweet Pea and Abraham, but everyone's threshold is different. 

A good example is Israel Vazquez. Dude is a warrior. No one can deny that. However, Rafael Marquez broke Vazquez' nose in the first fight, and he quit on the stool. Pacquiao broke Juan Manuel Marquez' nose in the first round and he went on to give that boy hell. So does that mean Vazquez is weak and Marquez is strong? Like dude before me said, Pacquiao made Morales quit in three rounds. Is Morales weak and Marquez is strong? All three of those dudes are tough SOBs IMO. 

I can't kill Ortiz for folding this time. 

On another note, Lucas Matthysse might be my new favorite fighter. That guy right there is lethal. What 140 pounder wants it with that dude? I like Amir Khan, but Matthysse is the last thing he wants to see in the ring... 

Well said.

Hard to question the heart of someone who fights professionally for a living, and who regularly puts themselves through things most human beings couldn't withstand.

Great fight last night. Im not going to call Ortiz a quitter because a broken jaw is a broken jaw and I damn sure wouldn't keep fighting if I had one, but I think he is destined for gatekeeper status in the welterweight division. His fights are fun to watch though

Originally Posted by illphillip

Great %+#!##! fight.

I can't really call it because I don't know what kind of pain Ortiz was in. I thought it was lame that he kind of went right to the ref and didn't seem to be talking to his corner.

Maybe he could have turtled up and moved for the last few rounds. But he was taking some solid shots.

But even if he had won, would he have been ready to fight Canelo in Sept. if his jaw was broken in this fight?

Dude just lost out MAJOR. For the 2nd time in a row now.

thats what Im saying

go in to defensive shell and try to just pot shot to get points here and there. 3 rounds left til you headline a big payday PPV

his history of getting himself out of Tough fights once the going gets tough makes it easy for me to say that he is a fair weather boxer.

yooooo
If Khan beats Garcia, I hope he moves up to 147 and fights Josesito Lopez.
Lamont Peterson aint even close to pressure fighter like Matthysse and he put down the blueprint, Body shots and get in his chest.
Not to mention Khan's Chin is still suspect.
Khan dont want NOOOOOOO PARTS of Matthysse. NONE

Gunna,

Maybe it's not such much his heart, but Ortiz just doesn't seem like a SMART guy.

Just makes poor decisions. Does/says the wrong thing at the wrong time.

That's why I was surprised when it seemed like he went right to the ref about his jaw. Off memory, he didn't seem to discuss it with his corner much.

Maybe Danny could have talked some sense into him and turtle up and move.

It looked like Garcia was kinda upset with him when Jim Gray was trying to interview him. He quickly rushed Ortiz out of in the middle of the interview when Vic said he asked for it to end.

for me, Vic just finds a way out of too many tough fights.

On another note, Lucas Matthysse might be my new favorite fighter.

milkman, Im with you on that. love his style

he got robbed vs devon Alexander and damn near pulled out the Judah fight (some think he actually won)

Great %+#!##! fight.

Dude just lost out MAJOR. For the 2nd 3rd time in a row now.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

It looked like Garcia was kinda upset with him when Jim Gray was trying to interview him. He quickly rushed Ortiz out of in the middle of the interview when Vic said he asked for it to end.

for me, Vic just finds a way out of too many tough fights.

On another note, Lucas Matthysse might be my new favorite fighter.

milkman, Im with you on that. love his style

he got robbed vs devon Alexander and damn near pulled out the Judah fight (some think he actually won)
I like him too, but his skills are limited. You can damn near see his punches coming from a mile away. Glad he's getting some buzz though.

I was in straight fight mode all weekend. Worked out at the gym Saturday afternoon.

My trainer had a 3 Rd. fight at Gleeson's Saturday night.

Came home and watched the UFC prelims then the showtime card.

I don't know if this thread is more about talking boxing current events, but I am back to Boxing fairly actively now so I may be in here more to talk some shop.

Finally got the gloves I asked about a while back and a spare pair of wraps that should arrive next week. Will post pics when they do.

"Play the fight riff!"

Maybe it's not such much his heart, but Ortiz just doesn't seem like a SMART guy.

Just makes poor decisions. Does/says the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Well said

Back
Top Bottom