Official 2012 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: The Dwightmare is Over.

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Originally Posted by thachosen123

Laker Fans comparing they're franchise to the New York Yankees are blind. Stop.

In the NBA their is something called a Salary Cap nimrods, in Baseball; a Salary Cap doesn't exist.

The Yankees are and will always be a playoff team because they can spend as much money as they want with no restrictions.

Some of you Laker fans thinking Dwight Howard is going to want to be traded or sign with the Los Angeles Lakers due to the "Mystique" and Championships of the organization are utterly out of your minds.After the 80's that same level of "Mystique" didn't help the Boston Celtics what so ever. They were a below average team for another 20 years. Basketball cannot be compared to Baseball in this instance, sorry.

BTW, Howard is not going to make your team any better if you get rid of Gasol & Bynum. It makes no sense, D12 struggles on Offense alone will not replace what Gasol & Bynum currently bring to the table. 

Get Over it Laker fans, D12 is not going to LA. 

30t6p3b.gif
so amare and melo get there to give y'all a little bit of relevancy, and now you think you can speak boldly about other franchises?..........I can't tell you what to do, but try not to worry about what us Laker fans are thinking
laugh.gif

First off, whether the Knicks are relevant is besides the issue, it makes no difference in this case. I'd "speak boldly" regardless. 
Second, if you can't understand why I wrote what I did let me put it in layman's terms; the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA cannot be compared to the Yankees in the MLB, tell your brotherhood to stop those type of comparisons when it comes to acquiring caliber athletes. Obviously you seem like your standing up for the fool who tried to make the comparison so reread what I wrote the first time so things become clear. 

Third, I made valid points and assumptions, most importantly they were unbiased. I don't care about the Lakers but I don't hate them either. 

why can't the Lakers in the NBA be compared to the Yankees in the MLB?   please provide a rational reason aside from salary cap.

the Lakers have the most titles in any sport in the modern era  1970-present,   their down years are minimal compared to other teams in the league. while the Knicks, Bulls, and Celtics have all been bad for long stretches of time, the Lakers have had 2-3 "bad" seasons straight at most during this stretch and most of those "bad" seasons were first round playoff losses which would be considered decent seasons for other teams.

CP beat me to saying everything else i wanted to say tho
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

CoupeIt88 wrote:

In the NBA their is something called a Salary Cap nimrods, in Baseball; a Salary Cap doesn't exist.

The Yankees are and will always be a playoff team because they can spend as much money as they want with no restrictions.

Some of you Laker fans thinking Dwight Howard is going to want to be traded or sign with the Los Angeles Lakers due to the "Mystique" and Championships of the organization are utterly out of your minds.After the 80's that same level of "Mystique" didn't help the Boston Celtics what so ever. They were a below average team for another 20 years. Basketball cannot be compared to Baseball in this instance, sorry.

BTW, Howard is not going to make your team any better if you get rid of Gasol & Bynum. It makes no sense, D12 struggles on Offense alone will not replace what Gasol & Bynum currently bring to the table. 

The @#$% are you rattling off about? 
grin.gif

We aren't the Yankees because we have a salary cap?  You ain't learn from Whitney?  Crack kills man, let that @#$% go. 

Here, I'll help you out, Lakers been around 62-63 years or so, missed the playoffs FIVE times.  That's, 5.  Even the Yankees missed the playoffs more then that in a single decade (diff sports, don't get sidetracked, just an example)

Been to the Finals, something like 31-32 times.  Do that math real quick, that's......1 out of every 2 years or so.  Yes you got it. 

I say that again, in say 63 years, been in the finals 32 times or something like that.  (I'm too damn lazy to look up the actuals) 

That's 6 DECADES of being in the mix, and their "down" times are like 3-4 years max, and then they right back in it, goin on a 7th decade now. 

But yeah, we got a salary cap, so we aren't good somehow. 
laugh.gif

In 2-3 years, Kobe/Pau and the rest will be gone.  You and the rest of the Laker hater nation co founded by Shuges (what up bruh) think that it's over.  When really, what do we have?  Oh, that would be an entire salary cap to spend, ie, 60 some odd million dollars worth of money to get more players. 

So you go on ahead thinkin we are going to fade off into oblivion, that ain't what the Lakers do.  We aren't like other teams.  We do not die, we reload.  Point blank, period. 

They thought the Lakers would be dead after West/Baylor, Kareem came, then Magic, Worthy, the Cap left and they said it would kill us, won another title, then Magic left sadly, they said we was dead, 4 years later, Shaq and Kobe was there, Shaq left, they said we was dead, Pau came, more history.  Six decades. 

So go on, count us out.  Read to us our obituary.  I love that @#$%  %%#+@*%%#+$$.  Love it. 

Cuz in a couple more seasons, you gon be PISSED at us once again.  We'll be here, makin room in that trophy case B. 

Originally Posted by MJGREATXII

CoupeIt88 wrote:

grin.gif

We aren't the Yankees because we have a salary cap?  You ain't learn from Whitney?  Crack kills man, let that @#$% go. 

Here, I'll help you out, Lakers been around 62-63 years or so, missed the playoffs FIVE times.  That's, 5.  Even the Yankees missed the playoffs more then that in a single decade (diff sports, don't get sidetracked, just an example)

Been to the Finals, something like 31-32 times.  Do that math real quick, that's......1 out of every 2 years or so.  Yes you got it. 

I say that again, in say 63 years, been in the finals 32 times or something like that.  (I'm too damn lazy to look up the actuals) 

That's 6 DECADES of being in the mix, and their "down" times are like 3-4 years max, and then they right back in it, goin on a 7th decade now. 

laugh.gif

In 2-3 years, Kobe/Pau and the rest will be gone.  You and the rest of the Laker hater nation co founded by Shuges (what up bruh) think that it's over.  When really, what do we have?  Oh, that would be an entire salary cap to spend, ie, 60 some odd million dollars worth of money to get more players. 

So you go on ahead thinkin we are going to fade off into oblivion, that ain't what the Lakers do.  We aren't like other teams.  We do not die, we reload.  Point blank, period. 

They thought the Lakers would be dead after West/Baylor, Kareem came, then Magic, Worthy, the Cap left and they said it would kill us, won another title, then Magic left sadly, they said we was dead, 4 years later, Shaq and Kobe was there, Shaq left, they said we was dead, Pau came, more history.  Six decades. 

So go on, count us out.  Read to us our obituary.  I love that @#$%  %%#+@*%%#+$$.  Love it. 

Cuz in a couple more seasons, you gon be PISSED at us once again.  We'll be here, makin room in that trophy case B. 

pimp.gif

the problem with talking/comparing NBA vs MLB and making the playoffs is every damn team makes the playoffs in the nba..

seriously 16 of the 30 teams make the playoffs in the NBA

before MLB introduced the wild card in '94 only 4 teams made the playoffs TOTAL.. now 8 of the 30 teams make the playoffs

CoupeIt88 wrote:

grin.gif

laugh.gif

fd25f883a01ac653549198c332fcfee5759121be_m.gif

itsaboutthattime wrote:
the problem with talking/comparing NBA vs MLB and making the playoffs is every damn team makes the playoffs in the nba..

before MLB introduced the wild card in '94 only 4 teams made the playoffs TOTAL.. now 8 of the 30 teams make the playoffs

Question, pick a sport.  How many sports have a team with damn near HALF the championship appearances? 

We ain't exactly the Jazz with 20 consecutive playoff appearances, and out in the first round in half of them bruh.  

31 Finals appearances in 63 years, this being 64 (if I am not off a year) 

We look like a bunch of 8th seeds to you guys? 
laugh.gif

Anyway, stall all that @#$% this ain't the Laker hater thread and Laker fans come thru to defend ourselves, it's the trade thread.  LA could be in the mix, maybe they ain't, either way, let's get movin.  We can fight about the Lakers dominance elsewhere. 
wink.gif

Please go make a thread about it.

Lets stick to the trades before the deadline in here.

EDIT

laugh.gif
Post that stat after about 50 more years.

itsaboutthattime wrote:

Question, pick a sport.  How many sports have a team with damn near HALF the championship appearances? 

We ain't exactly the Jazz with 20 consecutive playoff appearances, and out in the first round in half of them bruh.  

31 Finals appearances in 63 years, this being 64 (if I am not off a year) 

We look like a bunch of 8th seeds to you guys? 
laugh.gif

Anyway, stall all that @#$% this ain't the Laker hater thread and Laker fans come thru to defend ourselves, it's the trade thread.  LA could be in the mix, maybe they ain't, either way, let's get movin.  We can fight about the Lakers dominance elsewhere. 
wink.gif

when did i ever question the lakers?

SIMPLY pointing out that if you want to talk about 'making the playoffs' in comparison to the yankees it is not a good idea.. considering how few playoff spots are available in MLB

and 8th seeds make the playoffs just like the 1st seeds do (or have the lakers NEVER made it to the playoffs as an 8th seed?).. my point was to point out the how great the yankees accomplishments were/are ( and i hate the yankees)

did you not say this:

also the salary cap wasn't introduced in the nba until 1984 (since it has been referenced a number of times in this thread)

Report: Knicks willing to trade anyone except Jeremy Lin for Dwight Howard
February 27, 2012 By S. Evans 6 Comments
Tweet
Now that the All Star break is over, it’s time for trade rumors, both sane and insane, to start bubbling up to the surface. This particular rumor can definitely be entered into the “insane

Excluding Jeremy Lin, of course....
roll.gif

Man, stick with Tyson, he's 10 million dollars cheaper. He's not as good offensively but that's why you have Carmelo, Amar'e, and Lin. He's not as good, but you don't need Dwight to win. You need a better coach, some experience, and maybe one good wing player.

Laker fans just went HAM on me hahahahaha. So cute.Man, idc what y'all say, don't compare your franchise to my Yankees. If the Yankees were to not make the playoffs this year we'd sign the best Free Agents in the next off-season, we'd be able to turn around and rebound within in a year. Why? Because they have no salary cap! The fact that you guys don't consider this is the biggest discrepancy between the Yankees and Lakers is ridiculous.When Kobe retires what do you guys have planned? It'd be rebuilding time and in the NBA that can, and will take years. You guys act like you automatically deserve a finals appearance each year, it's ridiculous. You are not entitled to anything. In Basketball their are a very minimal amount of stars, and an even smaller amount of superstars. With the Heat and the Thunder looking to dominate for the next 6-8 years you guys think the Laker organization is going to be able to turn it around in a jiffy? This is the NBA fellas, not the NFL or the MLB. Sticking to the "trade topic" like we should, the Los Angeles Lakers are not getting Dwight Howard, try starting to accept that now.

Laker fans just went HAM on me 
Everybody goes ham on you
laugh.gif

You are that guy that ruffles feathers for the sake of it.... and I love it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The may not land Dwight, but looks like the Lakers are sure trying hard to do something:

Sam Amico

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Laker fans just went HAM on me 
Everybody goes ham on you
laugh.gif

You are that guy that ruffles feathers for the sake of it.... and I love it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I love it to haha, it's just many people out here not looking at things from a neutral point of view, too much fanhood bias. It should be fulfilling to hear the other side of the argument, I consider myself a realist, that's all. Really don't want Dwight going to BK tho, Nets fans will start appearing from the shadows if this happens.

Originally Posted by j1mmych0o

Report: Knicks willing to trade anyone except Jeremy Lin for Dwight Howard
February 27, 2012 By S. Evans 6 Comments
Tweet
Now that the All Star break is over, it’s time for trade rumors, both sane and insane, to start bubbling up to the surface. This particular rumor can definitely be entered into the “insane

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Please go make a thread about it.

Lets stick to the trades before the deadline in here.

EDIT

laugh.gif
Post that stat after about 50 more years.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Numbers Game: How Dallas could get Dwight Howard AND Deron Williams

It has been repeated throughout the league for months now: If the Mavericks can find a way to trade Shawn Marion, use the amnesty provision on Brendan Haywood and move all or most of their other players before free agency begins, they will have enough cap space to offer max-level contracts to both Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.

Reality is more complex for everyone involved once you dig into the numbers, which I’ve done with help from several cap gurus and lawyers.

Dirk Nowitzki will earn $20,907,128 next season, per ShamSports and other sources. The salary cap for 2012-13 is expected to stay almost precisely flat at around $58,044,000.

Even assuming the Mavs move Marion and amnesty Haywood between now and July 1, they are still on the hook for guaranteed money to the following players, per ShamSports:

• Lamar Odom ($2.4 million)

• Vince Carter ($2 million)

• Dominique Jones ($1,276,560)

• Roddy Beaubois ($2,227,333)

That’s another $7.9 million, bringing the Mavs’ 2012-13 salary bill — without Marion and Haywood, mind you — to a shade under $29 million.

But let’s assume the Mavs, through the brilliant creativity of their front office, manage to offload every single one of these players without them counting for even $1 combined on the Mavs’ 2012-13 cap sheet. That’s unlikely and perhaps impossible, but let’s just assume it happens.

That leaves only Nowitzki’s $20,907,128 salary, but the Mavs would actually have much more on the books than that. When a team has fewer than 12 players on its roster — and the Mavs in this scenario would have only one — the league forces them to add a cap charge for each roster spot up to 12. The charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary, set to be $473,604 next season, according to a summary of the new collective bargaining agreement. Multiply that by 11 empty roster spots, and you get a total of $5,209,644.

Add that to Nowitzki’s salary, and you’re looking at an absolute minimum of $26,116,772 on the Mavs’ 2012-13 cap sheet. If you can do basic subtraction, you find the Mavs in this scenario are left with $31,927,228 of cap space.

In short: The Mavs would be able to offer Williams and Howard starting salaries of about $15.95 million each before filling out the rest of the roster using the $2.5 million room exception and the veteran’s minimum salary. The problem: Both Williams and Howard are eligible to earn significantly more than $15.95 million next season.

How much are they actually eligible to earn? That depends on what happens between now and July 1. To give every advantage to the Mavs, let’s assume the Magic keep Howard through the trade deadline, and that Howard opts out of his contract after the season. Howard is earning $18,091,770 this season. Under league rules, if he opts out and becomes a free agent, any team other than Orlando with enough cap space could sign Howard to a four-year deal with a first-year salary of $18,996,358 — or 105 percent of his salary for this season.

Recall the Mavs, in our favorable scenario, have $31.9 million in cap space to split among Howard and Williams. If they decide to pay each equally, Howard is already in line for a $3 million pay cut in Year 1 of his deal with Dallas. If the Mavs toss an extra $1 million or $2 million at the big fella, that only means an even larger pay cut for Williams.

The Nets’ star point guard will earn $16,359,805 this season. Like Howard, if Williams opts out and becomes a free agent, he could earn a maximum first-year salary equal to 105 percent of his prior salary — or about $17,177,795. You’ll notice that number is well above the $15.95 million figure mentioned earlier.

There is no way I or anyone else I chatted with can see Dallas being able to offer both of these guys max-level contracts. Both would have to take a pay cut if they decide to sign with Dallas together, and that pay cut multiplies over the years. Over a four-year contract that starts at $15.95 million and carries the maximum 4.5 percent annual raises that Dallas can offer, Williams and Howard would earn about $68.2 million each over four years.

Howard could earn about $81.27 million on a max-level four-year deal from a non-Orlando team with cap room to offer one — or from Dallas, if the Mavs decide to only offer one huge deal instead of two. Williams could earn about $73.49 million on such a deal over four years. The four-year haircut isn’t so severe for Williams — about $5 million total — but it’s quite severe for Howard.

The tax situation in Texas can offset some of that, and the Mavs can also offer the appeal of Nowitzki, a well-liked and very successful coach in Rick Carlisle, first-class facilities, a popular owner, a creative front office and a long track record of winning. But they cannot offer the max to both guys.

This of course raises a related question: How much can Howard and Williams earn by changing teams via free agency versus by re-signing with Orlando and New Jersey, respectively? Has the new CBA done enough to give incumbent teams an advantage?

Let’s dig in. Both Howard and Williams could maximize their earnings by opting in for next season (something both their contracts allow), becoming a free agent after next season and then re-signing with their team for the maximum five years at the maximum rate.

Howard’s option for next year — the one he’ll surely decline if he isn’t traded to a team he likes by March 15 — is worth $19,536,360. If he stays with Orlando next season for that amount, the Magic can re-sign him to a five-year deal with a starting salary of $20,513,178 and 7.5 percent raises each year. In that scenario, Howard would earn $138,684,958 over the next six seasons. Yowza.

If he opts out and changes teams before next season as a free agent, his first-year max salary is lower — the previously mentioned $18,996,358. If he signs a max-level four-year deal with his new team and then re-signs at the maximum level with that same team four years later, under the current rules, Howard would earn $128,500,998 over the next six seasons. That’s about $10 million less over six seasons than he’d get by sticking with the Magic — about $1.7 million per year, before taxes and such. The gap is also about $10 million for Williams in this scenario.

Put simply: Howard and Williams stand to lose at least about $10 million in raw salary over the next six seasons by leaving this summer as free agents and signing a maximum deal with another team. (They could actually lose a bit more by switching teams via free agency again four years later instead of re-signing, but let’s leave that aside.)

The caveat is that both players could get the absolute maximum by getting traded before the deadline to a team with which they’d like to stay long-term, opting in under their current deals and then re-signing a max-level five-year deal with that team. This is why Howard’s advisors want him traded soon to, say, New Jersey, instead of having to get there via free agency. But again: The free agency route only “costs

Only a $10M difference? Thought it'd be a lot more. That's a great situation for Dwight and Deron even if they take the pay cuts, would be very interesting if it went down like that.

I'm sorry, but if I'm a GM I'm not putting my job on the line to trade for THIS guy. But if I was as desperate as the Lakers are then I'd think about it. I just don't see any damn way that this dude doesn't find a way of getting in trouble within the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom