Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Mike Wallace. 
eek.gif
 Wow. 

Dland, while I agree that good QBs make receivers better, what also matters is what type of offense a team is running. Look what Flynn did in GB with Rodgers out. Look what Cassel did in NE. Now you can't tell me they're even close to Rodgers/Brady in terms of talent. People are asking to sign Flynn after one game? You can't be serious.. Those are QB friendly, pass-happy offenses. We don't have that type of explosive offense. We run a WCO, and rely on a strong run game...

Dland, while I agree that good QBs make receivers better, what also matters is what type of offense a team is running. Look what Flynn did in GB with Rodgers out. Look what Cassel did in NE. Now you can't tell me they're even close to Rodgers/Brady in terms of talent. People are asking to sign Flynn after one game? You can't be serious.. Those are QB friendly, pass-happy offenses. We don't have that type of explosive offense. We run a WCO, and rely on a strong run game...

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

I understand everything you said.  Our offensive system isnt designed for our QB to put up monster stats.  But even in a WCO, a good quarterback needs to go through his progressions faster and identify wide receivers who are open.  Those are my biggest knocks on Alex this season.  He either fails to identify open receivers, or he doesnt think the WRs are open enough to attempt the passes. 

I mean, how many times did you see Alex go from his primary read, to a secondary one, to a third one and make a good pass in a tight window?  It happens about as often as a lunar eclipse.  And for the most part, our wide receivers need to be running wide open for Alex to even attempt a pass.  Im sorry, I know our WRs arent great....but our WRs having 1 catch for 3 yards in the NFCCG is just as much the QBs fault as it is the WRs. 

Alex was efficient in 2011, but what we gained in efficiency was lost in production.  I want a more productive offense next season.  Even if it comes with a few more interceptions.  We need more touchdowns.  Our offensive system has nothing to do with that desire.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

I understand everything you said.  Our offensive system isnt designed for our QB to put up monster stats.  But even in a WCO, a good quarterback needs to go through his progressions faster and identify wide receivers who are open.  Those are my biggest knocks on Alex this season.  He either fails to identify open receivers, or he doesnt think the WRs are open enough to attempt the passes. 

I mean, how many times did you see Alex go from his primary read, to a secondary one, to a third one and make a good pass in a tight window?  It happens about as often as a lunar eclipse.  And for the most part, our wide receivers need to be running wide open for Alex to even attempt a pass.  Im sorry, I know our WRs arent great....but our WRs having 1 catch for 3 yards in the NFCCG is just as much the QBs fault as it is the WRs. 

Alex was efficient in 2011, but what we gained in efficiency was lost in production.  I want a more productive offense next season.  Even if it comes with a few more interceptions.  We need more touchdowns.  Our offensive system has nothing to do with that desire.

I said this before and I'll say it again.........we owe it to our defense to go out and get a solid/good quarterback because Alex Smith can't cut it.  We owe it to our defense.

I said this before and I'll say it again.........we owe it to our defense to go out and get a solid/good quarterback because Alex Smith can't cut it.  We owe it to our defense.

Back
Top Bottom