OFFICIAL 2013 MTV Video Music Awards Thread 8/25

Fight over Cassie? 
mean.gif

Idk if this was touched upon yet but how is it that it was the 12th anniversary of Aaliyah's passing- and forget MTV but Drake, who has the woman tattooed on his back, doesn't even pay tribute to her. Even a shout out that she isn't forgotten would have been enough for me.

Idk if this was touched upon yet but how is it that it was the 12th anniversary of Aaliyah's passing- and forget MTV but Drake, who has the woman tattooed on his back, doesn't even pay tribute to her. Even a shout out that she isn't forgotten would have been enough for me.
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but nobody seemed to care.. including MTV. I thought for sure Drake or even JT would've said something, but nope.

It almost seems like the industry wants to bury that story or something..
eyes.gif

Last edited:
Huh? Who does anything for 12th anniversaries :lol:

Regardless of what number anniversary it is, both events fell on the same day so it just makes sense to do some type of tribute (especially a death anniversary), but nobody even mentioned her name.

Do you only celebrate the life of your deceased family members every 5 years? Probably not.

It's all about respecting those who have passed away and remembering the legacy they left behind. If you don't do it, then who will?

Has MTV ever done a tribute for someone when their event fell on the same day as someone's passing?

Cant see how it would make sense to do it if there really is no history of them ever doing it in the first place.

Hell, does MTV do those types of tributes in general? Never really noticed. but of course I've watched maybe 3 VMAs in the past 10 years, so idk

I DVR'd the show and ended up watching it last night. It only took me 45 mins. to watch the show because I fast forwarded through a lot of lame winners and performances.

Remember when I was younger the VMA's were dope, now I can't stand watching the show.

Last edited:
If Drake went out of his way to do a tribute yall woulda called him a weirdo (and it kinda is lol . . . dude got a tattoo of her and everything but whatever let him cook)

I do think that a 5 minute mashup of her hits and a RIP would have been a nice gesture . . . I am noticing less of an "urban" presence at the Grammys and VMA's in general . . . Rap/Hip Hop Album Of The Year doesn't even get screen time on the Grammys . . . 

Missy dedicated her performance to Aaliyah in 2001 and this was shortly after her death.. like 1-2 weeks. I remember the network being pretty sad about the whole event at this time.. and then the 9/11 attacks happened which was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back. TRL just got exponentially depressing in a matter of weeks.

Apparently they also held a memorial for Joey Ramone that also died that same year at the same VMAs, but I'm not sure if they've ever had any sort of dedication for anyone 1+ year after their death.

It's not like I was expecting the whole show to revolve around Aaliyah's passing, but a nice little splash screen to commemorate her like the vid above would've been nice.

Last edited:
hol up im not up on macklemore or whatever his name is

so he is the gay rapper?
No. His uncles gay, hes a supporter of the LGBT community.

Never heard that Blurred Lines song, dont really care to
Finally heard this song on Saturday, it sucks to me. Will never listen again if I can help it. Its the song from that Target commercial though.

Back
Top Bottom