Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as number 1,2,3 options go. Yes, that team was a bunch of scrubs who could shoot and do nothing else.
Scrubs? Weren't Hedo and Rashard cookin that year? IF they're scrubs I would hate to see what the rockets are outside of harden and Dwight.

So true at the that's why he left comment.

Usually when a superstar player leaves as a free agent its opposite extremes on both sides. Key example being lebron in 2010. Miami went from being a 2nd round team at best to a finals favorite the past 3 seasons, Cleveland went from having the best record in the leage 09 and 10 to being a grave yard.

Houston is going to see that positive extreme and be a top team in the west but I don't see the lakers having that extreme decline, maybe 1 bad season but them and Dwight weren't a good match from the get go so while Houston is gaining alot and improved heavily, I don't see this really being as damaging to the lakers is it will be good to the rockets if that makes any sense.

As far as number 1,2,3 options go. Yes, that team was a bunch of scrubs who could shoot and do nothing else.
Scrubs? Weren't Hedo and Rashard cookin that year? IF they're scrubs I would hate to see what the rockets are outside of harden and Dwight.
If by cookin you mean hitting open 3s, then ya, they were cooking allright, when dwight left, hedo nor rashard were ever relevant again.

So true at the that's why he left comment.

Usually when a superstar player leaves as a free agent its opposite extremes on both sides. Key example being lebron in 2010. Miami went from being a 2nd round team at best to a finals favorite the past 3 seasons, Cleveland went from having the best record in the leage 09 and 10 to being a grave yard.

Houston is going to see that positive extreme and be a top team in the west but I don't see the lakers having that extreme decline, maybe 1 bad season but them and Dwight weren't a good match from the get go so while Houston is gaining alot and improved heavily, I don't see this really being as damaging to the lakers is it will be good to the rockets if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense, LA got the money and is the most appealing team to play for.

Best part of the article isn't the fact that other Lakers players would tell Kobe about Dwight's shenanigans.. Which shows you who had more fans in the locker room.

But the fact he wanted Phil, but wanted to avoid criticism... Mike D'Antoni is the most sarcastic human being ever, but he treated Dwight with kid gloves... Phil would have openly crushed his spirit.

Dwight wanted everyone to love him, and I get that desire. But the second he left Orlando to play in the big lights (whether NY his first choice or LA), and then left LA because they wouldn't hold back on criticism.. It only 100% confirms the person everyone knows him to be.

Ya, thats why he left :lol:

Go back and read Woj's article... There are many reasons, but the biggest came through expectations, demand.

Just like Magic fans and casual observers warned LA last year.... You'll get those same warnings.

So I read the article, and ya I highly doubt he left because "they wouldnt hold back on criticsim" Houston offers him a better chance at a ship then LA by a long shot.

If by cookin you mean hitting open 3s, then ya, they were cooking allright, when dwight left, hedo nor rashard were ever relevant again.
Makes perfect sense, LA got the money and is the most appealing team to play for.
Regardless of how they got their points they averaged 17 & 18. And hedo became irrelevant because he cared more about money and signed with Toronto but your last point is probably accurate about rashard.

Last edited:
Best part of the article isn't the fact that other Lakers players would tell Kobe about Dwight's shenanigans.. Which shows you who had more fans in the locker room.

But the fact he wanted Phil, but wanted to avoid criticism... Mike D'Antoni is the most sarcastic human being ever, but he treated Dwight with kid gloves... Phil would have openly crushed his spirit.

Dwight wanted everyone to love him, and I get that desire. But the second he left Orlando to play in the big lights (whether NY his first choice or LA), and then left LA because they wouldn't hold back on criticism.. It only 100% confirms the person everyone knows him to be.

Go back and read Woj's article... There are many reasons, but the biggest came through expectations, demand.

Just like Magic fans and casual observers warned LA last year.... You'll get those same warnings.

So I read the article, and ya I highly doubt he left because "they wouldnt hold back on criticsim" Houston offers him a better chance at a ship then LA by a long shot.

yes and no. in the long run, LA can simply kill free agency next year and be right back at it. i think it was more his lack of a relationship with kobe and d'antoni. he basically took 30 million less to leave them behind. can't say i blame him on the kobe front. this is the same kobe that was openly calling him out in the media throughout the year when dwight was hurt

That 09 Orlando team was nice. Hell if a certain guy made just 1 free throw when he was fouled in the final seconds, fisher likely never sends the game to overtime and its a
2-2 series with game 5 in Orlando. Hell if Courtney lee made that lob in game 2 who knows how the series plays out.

That said it seemed like Orlando checked out mentally after fisher tied that game. From overtime on they weren't the same team the rest of that series. I remember thinking Orlando would likely win game 5 at home and the lakers would finish it in 6 back then.

yes and no. in the long run, LA can simply kill free agency next year and be right back at it. i think it was more his lack of a relationship with kobe and d'antoni. he basically took 30 million less to leave them behind. can't say i blame him on the kobe front. this is the same kobe that was openly calling him out in the media throughout the year when dwight was hurt

LA can sign Kevin Love for all I care, Kobe with dwight and kevin love on his team is going another 4 years minimum for a shot at #6. Kobe will always demand to be the number 1 option, it's who he is, as I said before, at this point, Kobe is a cancer, he cant be the #1 guy on a championship team anymore. He's had a nice run laker fans, its time you both let go :D

Also, dwight left 6-8 mil at most on the table

Last edited:
Lakers are gonna be in hole in till kobe retires. No superstar is going wanna play with him. They know Kobe isn't gonna take a step back and hand the team over and they know he will. Always think that's his team till He's gone. His ego is to strong so as long as kobes around Lakers are doomed for trouble

I mean, like someone had said earlier, Lakers can absolutely suck this year, (which i dont think they will, but if it happens so be it), get a top 15 pick, use the stretch provision on nash, which means his salary is off the books for 2014, and what do ya know.. any superstars can come and make there own team in Los Angeles.

Superstars, a top 15 pick in this loaded draft, and kobe pau taking drastically smaller contracts..

and i dont have to put up with hearing about Dwight crying about touches, or how noone likes him.

yeah i'll take it.

In the short run lakers will look bad, and it'll seem like Dwight made the right decision, but when you look 4-5 years from now, when Kobe is retired, polishing his 6th ring, and dwight is still crying about touches on whatever team he's on..

LA will have won.

happy.gif

Dwight Howard is just a hyped up 6'10 center. Put that 09 magic team on the west and they wouldn't even get out the second round that year.

When you're undersized you suppose to develop some go to moves and footwork. Dude only scores off mini hook and lobs. It's actually very easy to defend Howard and frustrate him. He never was a go to guy and will never be one. Houston should have go for josh smith and Andre igoudala. Andre at the 3 and smith at the 4 is way better.

I mean, like someone had said earlier, Lakers can absolutely suck this year, (which i dont think they will, but if it happens so be it), get a top 15 pick, use the stretch provision on nash, which means his salary is off the books for 2014, and what do ya know.. any superstars can come and make there own team in Los Angeles.

Superstars, a top 15 pick in this loaded draft, and kobe pau taking drastically smaller contracts..

and i dont have to put up with hearing about Dwight crying about touches, or how noone likes him.

yeah i'll take it.

In the short run lakers will look bad, and it'll seem like Dwight made the right decision, but when you look 4-5 years from now, when Kobe is retired, polishing his 6th ring, and dwight is still crying about touches on whatever team he's on..

LA will have won.

:D

Kobe isnt getting number 6 unless he does it in juwan howard fashion

LA can sign Kevin Love for all I care, Kobe with dwight and kevin love on his team is going another 4 years minimum for a shot at #6. Kobe will always demand to be the number 1 option, it's who he is, as I said before, at this point, Kobe is a cancer, he cant be the #1 guy on a championship team anymore. He's had a nice run laker fans, its time you both let go :D

You sure Dwight might not be a cancer as well....

Since I misread.. I'll re- reply.. Kobe shot better, had more assists, and scored more than Harden.. Unless you think Harden is now going to be 30 & 10... Saying Kobe can't be the #1, doesn't bode well for Harden at all.

Last edited:
The thing is I don't necessarily think the lakers need another superstar. Look at the 2011 mavs, aside from dirk who else was a superstar, the pacers pushed the heat to the brink this year and their downfall was no main go to guy, the celtics pushed the heat to the brink last year with a past his prime superstar in kg, a good pg in rondo, and past their prime but former almost superstar calliber players in pierce and ray Allen. This years spurs team was a last minute choke job away from winning the title with no current superstar calliber level player.

I'm not saying the lakers are title contenders next season because they aren't but I really don't think you need 2 superstars to win a title.

Dwight Howard is just a hyped up 6'10 center. Put that 09 magic team on the west and they wouldn't even get out the second round that year.

When you're undersized you suppose to develop some go to moves and footwork. Dude only scores off mini hook and lobs. It's actually very easy to defend Howard and frustrate him. He never was a go to guy and will never be one. Houston should have go for josh smith and Andre igoudala. Andre at the 3 and smith at the 4 is way better.

:lol: holy ****, we need a television show hosted by bill cosby titled lakers fans say the darndest things

Kobe isnt getting number 6 unless he does it in juwan howard fashion
I guess time will tell, but my lakers are gonna be bad/alright this year.

you're rockets got dwight, and NO ONE is afraid of them..

I think that says something. 

I could have agreed s with you, till you got to the josh smith part. I think its a good thing Houston didn't trade for him, he would've just took shots from harden. Everytime he took any shot that wasnt a layup or a dunk the fans in ATL would boo.

Heat is going to be in a hole when lebron decision part 2 happen in 2014. Another 20 something years of irrelevancy is right around the corner for them.

I guess time will tell, but my lakers are gonna be bad/alright this year.
you're rockets got dwight, and NO ONE is afraid of them..

I think that says something. 

They got the potential to put something nice together when they build around those guys strengths but I have to see how they play together.

Moves look good on paper but paper doesn't factor in chemistry and all that.

Aside from the 08 celtics, none of these teams clicked right away. 2011 heat had a ton of growing pains throughout that first season and they were better then this rockets team will most likely be.

Rockets are a decently ran organization though, they'll make some moves to put a team around those guys.

You sure Dwight might not be a cancer as well....

And I'll just let you go look at the stats from this past year.. Kobe scored more, shot better, and had more assists than Harden.

If Kobe - Love - Dwight would be a #6 seed.... What would that make the Rockets???

By #6 I meant kobes 6th ring. That team would easily be a top 2 seed. Dwight led a team to a championship 4 years ago as a 23 year old, hes 27 now entering his prime. As I said he led a team of shooters to the finals. Harden is another young player only going to get better, Kobe is not. He averaged 1 more point on 3% better shooting and .2 more assist on a much better surrounding squad, than an upcoming james harden. I dont think we have to go over who is a more selfish player either.

Lol like Howard bum *** isn't going to take shots away from Harden. Smith can give you just as many rebounds.

Houston is going to find out Howard is nothing but a rich man deandre jordan. Andre at the 3 and smith at the 4 is actually a better deal.

Lin, harden, Andre, smith, Asik. Easily wcf candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom