Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were "combo guards" in college but they were drafted to play PG in the league.

Waiters doesn't have PG skills. He's a 6'4 ball dominant volume scorer (and they already had a ball-dominant volume scorer on the team). He's smallish and doesn't really defend. It just wasn't a good pick at #4.

In the long run I think Waiters is going to end up being a sixth man-type guy. Like a spark scorer off the bench who will score some points and probably give up some points on the other end. But again, you don't take that kind of player with the 4th pick in a solid draft.
And who would that be because Irving is no volume scorer. Ellis is a volume scorer, Brandon Jennings is a volume scorer, Nick Young is a volume scorer.....

Irving is not.

And I hate this undersize comment. The 3 dominate SG in the league are Kobe(6'6), Harden(6'5), and Wade(6'4)

Only 1 of them is 6'6. In terms of scoring as a 6'4, its not as big of a deal as some of you make it seem. The top defensive SG are 6'1 and 6'4 respectfully. Stop making so much out of the size and just measure based on the actual basketball skills

Last edited:
Anti... you guys gotta be kiddin.
No one's forgotten how dope Roy was in Portland.

But you guys want them to RETIRE HIS NUMBER?!
FOR WHAT?
Two 20+ PPG seasons!? and a couple great 4th quarters/game winning moments?

Cmon guys... :smh:
what ever happened to standards? Roy was one of my favorites in the league, but theres no way in hell he did enough to earn his number being retired... at least not now...

If his number should be retired then theres 50-100 other people who should be retired too.
**** we might as well retired Jason Richardson's 23 from all the teams hes played on...he had 3 20+ ppg seasons, plus Dunk Contest wins and a 3 point contest win...

Cmon :smh:
Very true, I live in the city so Roy is HUGE to us. Turned around the demeanor of our franchise. Still nothing record breaking but his impact was big for the city. It honestly wouldnt effect me at all if they dont retire his jersey but he deserves it

And on Waiters I wasnt a fan of him when he got picked at #4 either but the potential is still there. If he can score 17-19 and grab an extra rebound or two its a safe pick. I mean like someone said earlier the draft is always a crapshoot especially top 5. Its easy to say who they should of got but we are still talking about rookies going into their sophomore years doe.

Even if he pans out and becomes more efficient, I'll never "like" the pick because Drummond seemed like such a no-brainer. Pair your future all-elite PG with the next great big man prospect? I make that choice every day of the week. Of course, the Cavs weren't the only team to miss on Drummond, but he would have been perfect there.

Plus I thought the Cavs should have nabbed Jonas the year prior. He's poised to breakout this year, while Thompson is learning how to shoot with his other hand.
When was Drummond ever considered a no brainer? Most mocks had him in the 5-8 range from what I remember with concerns with work ethic

:lol: forgot about him, he's in the grandpa club as well. Dude had the nerve to get a Mohawk too, he's definitely aware.

Last edited:
Personally i would never draft a combo guard or an undersized 2 in the lottery. I dont care if he's projected to be a #1 pick.

So you wouldn't draft dwade, westbrook, curry, holiday, lillard, etc lmao. All those guys were combo guards coming out.
They were "combo guards" in college but they were drafted to play PG in the league.

Waiters doesn't have PG skills. He's a 6'4 ball dominant volume scorer (and they already had a ball-dominant volume scorer on the team). He's smallish and doesn't really defend. It just wasn't a good pick at #4.

In the long run I think Waiters is going to end up being a sixth man-type guy. Like a spark scorer off the bench who will score some points and probably give up some points on the other end. But again, you don't take that kind of player with the 4th pick in a solid draft.

Exactly. When they were drafted, they were drafted to play PG. I'm talking about guys who cant run a team and play PG fulltime. Better suited as a combo guard off the bench.

Ex: Randy Foye, Jimmer, Flynn, Tyreke Evans, OJ, Austin Rivers, Dion Waiters

Grant Hill's 33 isn't retired, neither is Penny's 1... None of these guys will be forgotten by those who watched them play, that's all that matters.

We all respect retired jerseys but unless we watched them play it doesn't really resonate with our or future generations...

Last edited:
Speaking of the Mavs, where the hell are Deshawn Stevenson and Tyson Chandler. I bet some 13 year old Dominican in Miami was getting punished that night

It's just a ******g number.. nobody had an issue with the rookie wearing Dwight Howard's number and he achieved way more than Brand Roy

Exactly. When they were drafted, they were drafted to play PG. I'm talking about guys who cant run a team and play PG fulltime. Better suited as a combo guard off the bench.

:lol: it's easy to name all the busts but like he said before there have been successful guards like that. Curry didn't play pg til his senior year, Westbrook didn't play PG and is still barely a true point. Wade could definitely fit in that combo category. Olafipo. Bradley. Tony Allen. Eric Gordon. Monta Ellis. These guys don't fit into the mold of typical SG either.

Even if he pans out and becomes more efficient, I'll never "like" the pick because Drummond seemed like such a no-brainer. Pair your future all-elite PG with the next great big man prospect? I make that choice every day of the week. Of course, the Cavs weren't the only team to miss on Drummond, but he would have been perfect there.

Plus I thought the Cavs should have nabbed Jonas the year prior. He's poised to breakout this year, while Thompson is learning how to shoot with his other hand.

When was Drummond ever considered a no brainer? Most mocks had him in the 5-8 range from what I remember with concerns with work ethic

Concerns over work ethic were overblown. I didn't say he was a no brainer to go top 5 (although he should have been), but in the Cavs case, it seemed like a no-brainer. I'd pair my point guard with a center with a freak of nature body and loads of potential over a SG. That's just me.

Last edited:

:lol: it's easy to name all the busts but like he said before there have been successful guards like that. Curry didn't play pg til his senior year, Westbrook didn't play PG and is still barely a true point. Wade could definitely fit in that combo category. Olafipo. Bradley. Tony Allen. Eric Gordon. Monta Ellis. These guys don't fit into the mold of typical SG either.

It feels like the most of the shooting guards in the league are really combo guards, there's not that many pure shooting guards in the league that I can think of

While they shouldn't retire Roy's number, they shouldn't let anyone wear it, especially becuase IMO they had a hand in Roy's injury.

Put it this way, If Kevin Durant or some player of that Caliber goes to the Blazers and wants to wear 7, fine. But Mo Williams? Not even three years after his last stint in Portland? NO NO NO NO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom