Official 2013 NFL Washington Diplomats SEASON Thread - Last Game 12/29 @ 1:00 PM vs. Giants

So why not just retitle the thread and have "Skins" in it? I honestly think that's a fair compromise that doesn't need to go through the contest. It's a long-standing nickname of the team.
As a site, that's not enough of a step forward.  That's a move someone would make to do the bare minimum necessary to avoid the profanity filter.  It's little different than the slur substitutes we've already prohibited.  The reason the City Paper went with "Pigskins" is because it enables the same nickname but with a different root - so it's not just an abbreviated slur.  If that's the alternative you want, vote for it when the poll opens next week.  If people really want that option, we can be sure to include it in the list of finalists. 

There are some people who will be upset with anything less than the existing name and no matter what replacement we chose, someone would be unhappy.  It seems, then, that the best way to satisfy the largest number of people is to let the community decide - and that's what we're doing.  

I have no problem with removing any photos that include the word, honestly, so I don't think throwing that out there is a good way to say, "you can't do this to us!"  

We delete pictures that include any other racial slur.  Sadly, they're commonplace on other websites, we it seems like we get reports about them every other week.  It's a slur and we're treating it like a slur.  As frequently as it's used in the context of sports conversations, other slurs are used with even greater frequency in other parts of the web.  That a slur is "popular" doesn't mean it isn't offensive, and I think everyone here should at least be willing to acknowledge that.  

Will I ban someone on September 6th for posting a picture of RGIII in uniform?  No, of course not.  We will, however, make sure people understand what the rule is and we'll see that it's followed moving forward.  

But that's where the problem is, Meth. We have many people who contribute to the season thread and post pictures of themselves at games, camp, etc. All while wearing team gear that has ******** emblazoned on the front. If you are treating the word "*******" as a slur, ANY member who posts photo which has the word visible would be subjected to a warning/banishment.

Having a Washington Wolves thread where members can't post photos of themselves in ******** team gear (which is allowed in EVERY other team thread on here) is part of that slippery slope I was mentioning before.

As a site, that's not enough of a step forward.  That's a move someone would make to do the bare minimum necessary to avoid the profanity filter.  It's little different than the slur substitutes we've already prohibited.  The reason the City Paper went with "Pigskins" is because it enables the same nickname but with a different root - so it's not just an abbreviated slur.  If that's the alternative you want, vote for it when the poll opens next week.  If people really want that option, we can be sure to include it in the list of finalists. 

There are some people who will be upset with anything less than the existing name and no matter what replacement we chose, someone would be unhappy.  It seems, then, that the best way to satisfy the largest number of people is to let the community decide - and that's what we're doing.  

So, if "pigskins" was voted as the winner and people refer to the team as "The Skins," you're honestly cool with that?

Rename ******** thread to "The Skins" = abbreviated slur and lazy minimum to avoid profanity filter.

Rename ******** thread to Pigskins, where people refer to the team as The Skins = OK.

This discussion is pretty much pointless b/c you made the decision as to how you want things to go on the site. I can't argue that or change your mind.

Bingo! Js

His decision is made just relax before you get banned or something. He doesn't care about anything your saying. Just leave it alone.

It's just sports but the Washington ******** organization is something I love dearly. And nothing will change that. I'm not using a BS Nickname. I guess it will just be blocked out.

Guys,

Do you really care about the team name THAT much that it would be unacceptable to post here anymore? Its not like Meth is taking away something that we all couldnt be without. Its a slur for god sakes. End of story.

Hes not taking away anything but a name.

I mean srsly yall need to get over it. If the team wins, RGIII is back and better, why would the title of a thread bother you.

Guys,

Do you really care about the team name THAT much that it would be unacceptable to post here anymore? Its not like Meth is taking away something that we all couldnt be without. Its a slur for god sakes. End of story.

Hes not taking away anything but a name.

I mean srsly yall need to get over it. If the team wins, RGIII is back and better, why would the title of a thread bother you.
Thank you!  That's all I'm saying here.

So, if "pigskins" was voted as the winner and people refer to the team as "The Skins," you're honestly cool with that?

Rename ******** thread to "The Skins" = abbreviated slur and lazy minimum to avoid profanity filter.

Rename ******** thread to Pigskins, where people refer to the team as The Skins = OK.

This discussion is pretty much pointless b/c you made the decision as to how you want things to go on the site. I can't argue that or change your mind.
Listen to what you're saying.

We both know that the existing name is a slur.  It is.  Simply lopping off the first three letters does not change that.  It would be abbreviating the slur.

IF the team were actually named "Pigskins," then that would be a different story.  

If we acknowledge that this is a slur, then all I'm saying is that I'm going to TREAT it like a slur in accordance with NikeTalk's existing rules of conduct. 

Is it inconvenient for fans?  Slightly, but would you honestly sit here and say that you're okay with using a racial slur out of convenience?  That's really what we're talking about.  Preferring a racial slur over something else because it's convenient to continue using the slur. 

That's not okay with me.

Are some other names offensive?  Sure.  Not everything I find personally offensive is against NikeTalk's rules.  If that were the case, nobody would be allowed to hold a different opinion, and that's not the goal here.  We do have some baseline standards of RESPECT that we expect all users to abide by - and one of them is the prohibition of racial slurs.

That the existing name is a racial slur is inescapable.  I'm going to treat it like any other racial slur.  

I honestly thought the actual team name would be changed by now, just like all those college teams (St. John's, Syracuse, Stanford), just like the Washington Wizards, just like the Warriors changed their logo, etc.  I'm done waiting.  A trademarked slur is still a slur.  A popular injustice is still an injustice. 

If it costs us a little business, fine.  I'd be a hypocrite if I asked Snyder to take a little haircut over this if I can't do the same.  

You're more than welcome to continue talking football here, but not at the cost of other people's dignity.  The slur has to go. 

I got a hypothetical question.

What if a member on here has a username along the lines of *******sfan28 or something like that and has been a member for years on the board, long before the banning and censoring of the word on this board was planned. (Not out the question for a member to have ******** in their username.

In this case what would happen to their username, would it get banned, censored, grandfather claused, or would they get to make a new username and retain all their previous posts. Just something that randomly came to mind.

Regarding the actual name censoring. I see both sides views on it.

Please excuse the typos as im posting from my phone.

I personally dont find the name to be a slur. For as many articles that you can find that back up ur argument I can find just as many that back up mine. We can all argue till we are blue in the face, but thats the reality of this issue.

Max - meth's form of protest is censoring the word, which im fine with, and also running a renaming contest. As long as the team is called the ********, they'll have my support. My form of protest is STRICTLY due to my dismay with the contest Meth has going. As a result I will no longer he posting in this thread. As I mentioned before, anything ******** related that I feel the need to post will be in the nfl season thread. I absolutely will not acknowledge this existing thread as long as a fake name is attached to it. As I respect Meth's and your POV, you shoud do the same and respect mine or anyone else who feels the same way.

As a result I will no longer he posting in this thread. As I mentioned before, anything ******** related that I feel the need to post will be in the nfl season thread. I absolutely will not acknowledge this existing thread as long as a fake name is attached to it.
My man DoubleJ's took his ball and decided to go home...........SMH.  Even I can respect your wishes champ, but sometimes you have to realize that it's not about you.  Now that can be taken two ways regarding the direction this thread is now heading, but with that being said I think you should still post in here.  Reason being is because I'm quite sure some of your colleagues/******* brethren would still like to see you post in HERE.  Take some time and think about it champ. 

JJ's - Your opinions and point of views will always be respected by me. And that's why Im kinda confused about your feelings on this.

Why are we letting something so trivial get in the way of discussing football with your fellow Skins fans? If we cant use the word ******** in the thread title, then what should we use? Should that be left only for Skins fans to decide? Should it be left solely to you? I mean I just don't understand the line you're drawing. You're ok with the censorship of the word because you find it offensive or because you respect Meth's wishes as the head of NT?

Like I said, this a forum. We have fans from every NFL team, including OURS. And this is what this thread is. It's OURS no matter what the thread title says.

My form of protest is STRICTLY due to my dismay with the contest Meth has going. As a result I will no longer he posting in this thread. As I mentioned before, anything ******** related that I feel the need to post will be in the nfl season thread. I absolutely will not acknowledge this existing thread as long as a fake name is attached to it.

"Well if I can't play, then I'm taking my ball back...."

LOL.

You're complaining and taking a "protest" about a nickname on a sneaker forum.

You grow up and give it a rest.

JJ's - Your opinions and point of views will always be respected by me. And that's why Im kinda confused about your feelings on this.

Why are we letting something so trivial get in the way of discussing football with your fellow Skins fans? If we cant use the word ******** in the thread title, then what should we use? Should that be left only for Skins fans to decide? Should it be left solely to you? I mean I just don't understand the line you're drawing. You're ok with the censorship of the word because you find it offensive or because you respect Meth's wishes as the head of NT?

Like I said, this a forum. We have fans from every NFL team, including OURS. And this is what this thread is. It's OURS no matter what the thread title says.

I don't agree with the name change here on NT. That's my gripe. I'm OK with the censorship of the word because I respect Meth's wishes as the head cheese on here. If he had left it at that, I'd honestly be fine with everything. However, I'm not going to acknowledge this thread as long as it's renamed. Trivial? Maybe. However, that's my stance and I don't think I'm alone on how I feel.

You're complaining and taking a "protest" about a nickname on a sneaker forum.

You grow up and give it a rest.

Am I not allowed to do so? Your peanut gallery comments are pathetic. Your sole purpose of being in here is to rustle jimmies. EVERYONE knows your M.O. It's really sad that you haven't had not one decent post in your time on this board.

My man DoubleJ's took his ball and decided to go home...........SMH. Even I can respect your wishes champ, but sometimes you have to realize that it's not about you. Now that can be taken two ways regarding the direction this thread is now heading, but with that being said I think you should still post in here. Reason being is because I'm quite sure some of your colleagues/******* brethren would still like to see you post in HERE. Take some time and think about it champ.

:lol: Take some time and think about it? You make it seem like I'm clinically depressed or something :lol:

I'm still going to post about the Skins, just not in here. When I make a decision for myself, it is about me. This thread will go on. Not once did I say that people shouldn't post in here or should co-sign what I've been saying. I'm not trying to start a mutiny or anything :lol:

Last edited:
My man DoubleJ's took his ball and decided to go home...........SMH. Even I can respect your wishes champ, but sometimes you have to realize that it's not about you. Now that can be taken two ways regarding the direction this thread is now heading, but with that being said I think you should still post in here. Reason being is because I'm quite sure some of your colleagues/******* brethren would still like to see you post in HERE. Take some time and think about it champ.
laugh.gif
Take some time and think about it? You make it seem like I'm clinically depressed or something
laugh.gif

I'm still going to post about the Skins, just not in here. When I make a decision for myself, it is about me. This thread will go on. Not once did I say that people shouldn't post in here or should co-sign what I've been saying. I'm not trying to start a mutiny or anything
laugh.gif
You still don't get it do you champ??  You pretty much just turned your back on the Skins fans in HERE, meaning this very thread..........do as you so desire however. 

You still don't get it do you champ??  You pretty much just turned your back on the Skins fans in HERE, meaning this very thread..........do as you so desire however. 

What's there to get? Is my absence going to make/break this thread? No. This is not the only place where people discuss the ********, DK. You know this. You make it seem like I have to post in here. :lol:

I caught up wih what's happened in NT/this thread since Monday Night. I'm highly disapointed.

The ONLY reason I still visit NT is because Football season discussion is terrific here. Telling me I can't call my team by it's Nickname? Fine Meth, but you'll see less of me here. I refuse to be told I can't call them the ********.

J's...don't get sucked in by Shoes/Deuce man. It's like BMitch pissing Portis off.

You're censoring a word, but ******** is emblazoned on the front of the jersey. I mean, is it a ban-worthy offense to post ******** apparrel even though the word is deemed offensive? This is what I'm getting at, Meth. Same deal with the Cleveland Indians or Fighting Irish. I personally think it's a slippery slope. I have no issue with censoring the word, but for members who post pics of themselves in gear or with players who have "********." This is your site
As of 9/5, someone else can run this thread....I'll be done posting anything relating to the Skins in here if you're serious about the alternate name going in the thread title (which I think you are). I'll keep whatever football discussion I have involving the ******** to the NFL Season Thread.

Good call. Matter fact, I'll just post elsewhere. Millions of other places to talk football/********. Meth you enjoy YOUR forum. Community? Right.

Back
Top Bottom