Official 2015 New York Giants Thread VOL: Odell Beckham > *

Eli just hasn't looked in rhythm, not sure how this west coast styled offense will work since I don't necessarily think it fits him, but he should make it work eventually.

We won't know what this team can do until the first few weeks of the regular season.

Nicks on the Colts pisses me off. Should have locked him up two years ago :smh:

O line is awful. Eli looks uncomfortable.

Hope Prince isn't out too long. Need him.

Giants had to spend their money elsewhere, our defensive improvements will pay off.

Plus the Giants haven't played a snap of preseason with Beckham yet, hope he is good to go for next week. Corey Washington has looked good in each of the preseason games, he is opening some eyes as well as an undrafted receiver, plus he is 6'4.

No, we had enough money for Nicks. We definitely could have locked him up. I don't like Randle, kid is not good. Very inconsistent. I do like the kid Corey Washington though. Haven't seen Odell though.

Doesn't matter, this O line is awful and Coughlin knows it. We're ******.

Nicks did not deserve any contract the way he played last year plus he is constantly hurt, it's not a good investment and makes zero sense when the Giants needed to upgrade in more important areas.

O line has played a total of two pre-season games together thus far (not counting the HOF game), still a ways to go but it's much younger, The issue is LT, hopefully Beatty bounces back and plays the way he did in 2012

and Randle isn't good? Considering how bad Eli and the offensive line were, don't see how much more he could've done, and he is only entering his 3rd year and is only 23 years old.

Not sure what you are expecting out of him, but if Beckham becomes a play maker the way he was in college, Randle as a 3rd WR is a very solidcore to work with. I feel this competition between Beckham/Randle and the opportunity to fight to be the #2 will help both players.

It's about pass protection and run blocking with this team, and we won't know how good or bad it will be until a few weeks into the regular season, not pre-season. Hopefully the blocking improves and Eli can become comfortable again, esp with this new system after ten years

Last edited:
O line looked bad last night.

I like Jennings and Williams. Seem like a good duo RB.

We need to see what Odell can do.

Defense was okay. A lot of penalties and they were on the field a lot.

Defense looked fine to me, besides some missed tackles vs their run game but you have to give them credit, plus they are on the field too much because of the offense

The offense put up yards at least, they were putting plays together but nothing sustained until the drive to end the half.

I loved that entire drive minus the rollouts, that is NOT Eli's game. He is a down field pocket passer. I know this system is supposed to help the offensive line, but Eli has to constantly avoid pressure every down.

On a positive note, I love stores like this:

It's a moment that Corey Washington will never forget.

It was an afternoon in late May, and the 6-4 receiver had just wrapped up another day in the Arizona Cardinals’ rookie minicamp. He’d made several plays, as he remembers it, when he was summoned to the office. The Cards had decided to cut him.

“I was surprised,” Washington recalled Sunday. “They called me in the office right after practice, and I had a good practice that day and that whole week. I was shocked. It was like, ‘Wow, OK.’”

It was the “wow” moment that spawned an August’s worth of highlights for Washington, propelling a little-known receiver from an unknown school (Newberry College in South Carolina) to the cusp of a Big Blue roster spot.

For the last three months, the young receiver has been motivated by revenge, chasing an opportunity to get back at the team that never knew the talent it had. The Giants play the Cardinals in Week 2 (Sept. 14), and all Washington wants to do is stick it to the squad that cut him.

“Oh yeah. I’m ready for that game,” Washington said. “There’s a big chip on my shoulder. I’m ready for that game. I got that game dotted, circled. Cell phone. iPad. Calendar. Everything.”

The Cards cut Washington on May 28. The Giants grabbed him off waivers on May 29. He’s gradually emerged as an option on a team searching for playmakers. The Giants have Victor Cruz and a collection of unproven quantities at receiver, and the entire group has been inconsistent throughout this preseason.
With each game, Washington has commanded more attention. He opened the preseason by catching a 73-yard game-winning TD against Buffalo, and caught game-winning scores in each of the next two weeks, too.
It was almost a letdown when he didn’t get the game-winner against the Jets on Friday, but he did haul in a perfect deep heave from Ryan Nassib for a 31-yard score.
NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Washington says he’s been motivated since getting dumped by Cardinals.

The preseason stats (nine catches, four TDs) only tell part of the story. Beyond Rueben Randle, this receiving corps lacks a tall target. Washington has spent August proving that he can go high to beat cornerbacks for jump-balls.

The Giants’ top four receiving spots are all but certain to go to Cruz, Randle, Jerrel Jernigan and rookie Odell Beckham Jr. Washington is battling Marcus Harris, Preston Parker and Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham for one or two more spots. But Washington has made his mark.

“He will go up and get the ball,” said Tom Coughlin. “That is very noticeable.”

The only thing Washington hasn’t done is make plays against starting corners. He’s seen time with Eli Manning and the first team in practice, and looked like he belonged in those situations, but in four preseason games, he’s still seen action only with the second and third units. Harris drew first-team action on Saturday, although a shoulder injury will keep him out for several weeks.

Washington hopes he gets his chance with the first team this Thursday, in the preseason finale against the Patriots, the final audition of his improbable August. But even if he doesn’t, the young receiver says he will “do what I can do” to make the team.

And he’ll keep enjoying the ride that started that day in Arizona.
“I still can’t believe it right now,” he said. “Fourth touchdown right here in preseason. It’s been fun.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-catch-summer-article-1.1915590#ixzz3BP5LrCBx

Last edited:
Washington has stuck out since game 1. I like what I see. Hope he can keep it up and play well for us this season.

Beason is back practicing which makes me very happy. Hopefully he's good to go for week 1.

Everyone is really concerned with our offense, but I just think we are not showing our cards. I try not to care about much in preseason, but things like the run game really give you a positive feeling.

Really looking forward to the season. See you guys October 12th in Philly.

Again, this is make-or-break for Randle IMO. And I enjoy seeing if Reese will be proven right with the Moore and Hankins selections, as they develop and progress deeper into their careers.

The most important thing is that the Giants look like a team hat can run the ball again, Jennings/Williams looks like an excellent combo, with Hillis being 3rd back. Giants didn't win a game , Eli threw the ball too much last season and forced the issue with a bad line and it was just too many turnovers.

This run game if effective will help Eli a lot, hopefully he can get his timing back. He doesn't seem to trust this line yet in pass protection, and is throwing the ball too early in the routes or scrambling all over the place.

WR's haven't done much either, but the team really needs Beckham out there on the field.

Defense and rushing attack, what the franchise was built on.

I haven't watched one preseason game yet but how do you boys feel about Victor Cruz so far? I haven't been hearing any good talk so I'm wondering if its just pundits exaggerating or what.

Cruz is the least of the team's problems, He was one of the few that got separation from corners, the ball just has to get to him which it hasn't.

Team needs to revert back to run first to get into manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. All last season was 3rd and long situations with poor pass protection and no run game.

On a side note, Corey Washington just made the team. :pimp:

Last edited:
New York Giants unofficial depth chart
Posted 1 hour ago

Dan Salomone
The Giants have released their first unofficial depth chart for the 2014 regular season.

1. Rookie Weston Richburg is a starter.

Schwartz, who was originally the starter but is currently out with a dislocated toe. Richburg, who spent time at all three interior positions in camp and is also listed as the backup center, played in all five preseason games, starting the finale against New England at left guard in place of Schwartz.

Richburg is the only rookie starter on offense, as is Devon Kennard on defense (more on the linebacker position below). Overall, of the 28 positions on the depth chart -- 11 offense, 11 defense, and six special teams -- eight players who were not on the Giants’ roster last season are listed as first-teamers.

2. Larry Donnell is the first tight end.

Coming off Saturday’s announcement of the 53-man roster, the Giants are moving ahead with their three tight ends, and Larry Donnell is at the top spot, followed by Daniel Fells and Adrien Robinson. Donnell played in all five preseason games with three starts, totaling seven catches for 86 yards, the bulk of which came in the final game against New England. However, this could be a fluid position.

Coach Tom Coughlin has said it might be a group effort with certain players being used in different situations.

3. Johnathan Hankins earned his way onto the first team.

Last year’s second-round draft choice is officially listed with the starters at right defensive tackle. He spent the summer listed on the second team with Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson on the first team.

However, Hankins started all five preseason games alongside Jenkins while Patterson missed the first three games as he recovered from a shoulder injury. Hankins had eight tackles in the preseason after playing in 11 games with no starts as a rookie in 2013.

4. Jameel McClain is still the starting middle linebacker -- for now.

The first-team linebackers are McClain in the middle and rookie Devon Kennard and Jacquian Williams on the outside. However, that could change at any moment as Jon Beason returns to the field today.

The Giants starting middle linebacker, who finished second on the team in tackles last season while playing just 11 games for the Giants, injured his foot during spring football and missed all of training camp.

But the team announced this weekend that Beason, like he had planned since the injury, passed his physical and is eligible to practice and play with the season opener a week away.

5. Preston Parker is the primary punt returner.

The Giants have options at the position, but the former Tampa Bay Buccaneer, who was out of football all last season, is first on the depth chart at punt returner.

He is followed by Rueben Randle, who was the main punt returner for the Giants last year, and Jerrel Jernigan.

Parker handled the majority of punts in the preseason, running back a long of 17 yards against the Patriots. Meanwhile, offseason acquisition Quintin Demps is the the first kick returner, as expected

Labor Day Practice Notes

- Odell Beckham working by himself in a corner in portion of practice open to media

- CB Prince Amukamara (groin) looked to be back at practice, as expected.

- OLs Charles Brown (shoulder) and James Brewer (back) appeared to be back.

- LB Jon Beason was out there, as Coughlin had said he would be.

- McAdoo opened the practice working very closely with QBs. Took them through hip mobility external rotation work and some warmup throw drills

NY Giants' Eli Manning, Ben McAdoo under microscope for opener vs. Detroit Lions

Eli Manning struggles all preseason but under new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo (l.) there has been a learning curve, which the Giants hope ended in the final tuneup game.

It is the relationship that will define the Giants’ 2014 season and it goes to a new level this week.

Sometime on Monday, Eli Manning will enter the Giants’ practice facility, and he’ll sit down with offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo. For the first time in a relationship that began just a few months ago, the quarterback and his guru will begin preparing to face the Detroit Lions next week in a game that will actually count.
Even Manning can’t wait to see how things will go.

“I’m curious about the whole process with talking to him,” Manning said recently. “Getting his thoughts on the week, on what we want to try to do. What plays we like and what we’re thinking, what we’re going to try to do and just seeing how the week goes from third downs to green zone.”

Manning isn’t the only one who wants to see how the Manning-McAdoo dynamic plays out in 2014. For nearly a month now, the Giants have been claiming that their offense is better than it looked during their well-chronicled preseason nightmare, and one of the key reasons players repeatedly noted was game-planning.
Sure, Manning completed zero passes in one preseason game and threw for zero yards in another. But all of that will change, said the Giants’ preseason rhetoric, the moment the team’s offensive minds begin tailoring their game plans to individual opponents.

Now is that time. Throughout the spring and summer, it’s been a feeling-out process for a two-time Super Bowl MVP quarterback and an offensive coordinator who’d never called an NFL play. Manning was focused on learning another offense, and McAdoo had to concentrate on teaching an entire team.

Manning said he believes he’ll spend portions of the next three days working closely with McAdoo, although he stressed the Giants attack is the coordinator’s, not his own.

Manning and McAdoo's real relationship begins this week.

“It is (McAdoo’s) offense in a sense,” Manning said. “I think Coach McAdoo does a good job of asking me and asking all the quarterbacks what they like, the plays that we feel the most comfortable with or think is good.”

Manning added that, while it didn’t show on the stat sheet, he liked his in-game interactions with McAdoo in the preseason.

“He’s been good getting the plays in quickly, getting it to the quarterback we can get in the huddle, get on the line of scrimmage and see everything,” Manning said. “I think he’s been decisive, has had a plan and stuck to it, and it’s been good.”

But everyone knows that it must get better, and Manning — and everyone in the organization — believes things will begin to improve, and the game plan could be key. They haven’t worked together on it yet, but Manning can’t wait.

“I think I have a decent idea about it with training camp and everything going by,” he said. “But it will be interesting to see how things will flow this week.”

Everyone will await the results next Monday night.

NY Giants rebuilt defense ready to tackle challenge of Calvin Johnson and Lions talented offense

Lions star receiver Calvin Johnson won't be in the end zone on Opening Night if the Giants new secondary gets its way.

For all the justifiable concern about the miserable summer for the Giants’ offense, it’s been easy to forget what the franchise did during the offseason: Spent a ton of money with a majority of it going to the defense.

That defense, led by what could be one of the best secondaries the Giants have had in decades, has the look of one of the top five defenses in the league.

Granted it’s all just on paper at the moment, because the defense hasn’t exactly had a stellar summer itself, but the potential is easy to see if you can ignore all those ridiculous yellow flags the refs have been throwing all summer at helpless defensive backs. Taking a cue from the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks, the Giants built their defense from back to front — unusual for them, but necessary in an increasingly quick-pass-happy league — adding cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walt Thurmond and Zack Bowman and safety Quintin Demps to an already solid secondary.

On Opening Night, Sept. 8, in Detroit, they’re going to be put to a difficult immediate test.

“Exactly,” cornerback Prince Amukamara said. “The Lions offense likes to sling it. It’s definitely going to be a great challenge for us.”

Zack Bowman (c.) signed this offseason, returns an interception against the Patriots this preseason.
There isn’t a much more lethal combination in the NFC than Matthew Stafford-to-Calvin Johnson. Plus, the Lions have the underrated Golden Tate and the troublesome Kevin Ogletree at wide receiver , rookie tight end Eric Ebron and running back Reggie Bush as key components of the passing game. A year ago Stafford threw for 4,650 yards and 29 touchdowns, and Johnson caught 84 passes for 1,492 yards and 12 scores.

The Lions had the NFL’s sixth-ranked offense, and it was still considered a pretty down year in Detroit.

So yes, it will be a great challenge for the Giants’ interesting experiment to build a defense around their pass coverage instead of their pass rush. Their last two Super Bowl defenses were powered by the front four, while their championships in ’86 and ’90 were led by the linebackers. You might have to go back to Steve Owen’s “Umbrella Defense” of the ’50s to find a Giants defense where the defensive backs were expected to lead the way.

Yet that’s what the plan seemed to be when they signed Rodgers-Cromartie to a five-year, $35 million deal and imported Thurmond from Seattle (one year, $3 million). They also re-signed a healthy Trumaine McBride to add depth at corner and a healthy Stevie Brown to start next to Pro Bowl safety Antrel Rolle, and added Bowman and Demps for some much-needed veteran depth.

It’s an impressive roll call of names. And while the results in preseason games — where there’s been no real game-planning yet — have been average, it’s been easy to see in practice just how good this unit can be.

“Absolutely. There’s no doubt about it,” said defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. “If you saw some of the plays that were made the past couple of weeks you know that there’s obviously flashes of it. We come out here every day and all the way up and down, they’re doing great things.”

Just how “great” can they really be? That might depend on what kind of help they get from the pass rush — and that may be completely contingent on whether this is a bounce-back season for Jason Pierre-Paul. If he can regain his 2011 form and quarterbacks have to rush their throws into that secondary, the sky is the limit. Even without a powerful rush, they feel they can be pretty good.

At least they’ll find out quickly, because again, there are few better tests available on their schedule than what the Giants are facing on Opening Night — a strong, diverse passing attack on a Lions team that promises to be throwing the ball all game. And if the Giants’ offense continues to struggle, Stafford and Johnson should have plenty of opportunities to try and stretch the Giants’ secondary to its limit.

But the Giants secondary is convinced it’s ready. And the truth is, they haven’t had a secondary this ready for a challenge like that in quite a while.

Giants were relying on Beckham this season, with that hamstring issue I think this season might go to waste.

I have zero concerns about this defense, this secondary has the potential to be tops in the league and they demand excellence, plus the depth is beautiful. Just have to stay healthy

But besides the secondary and LB core, the only positions I really trust are the QB, RB's, and right guard. This entire offensive and defensive line is a major question mark, plus with no TE in this quick throw/YAC offense, this season could be rough. Giants won championships always based on strong lines and run games, not even sure this line can pass protect or run block with any efficiency

What record are you guys expecting? At this rate, 2nd place behind the Eagles at .500.

In need of offensive line help, the Giants have reportedly reached out to veteran guard Adam Snyder.

In need of offensive line help, the Giants have reportedly reached out to veteran guard Adam Snyder.
A battered Giants offensive line could add a veteran piece soon.
According to a source, the Giants are working hard to sign guard Adam Snyder. Snyder, a 10-year veteran, was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Saturday. The news was first reported by Fox Sports 1.
Snyder, 32, would add guard depth for a Giants team that's without prized offseason acquisition Geoff Schwartz (toe). Schwartz suffered the injury in the preseason win over the Jets, and there is currently no timetable for his return. The Giants have not ruled out moving Schwartz to short-term injured reserve, although they did not make the move on Tuesday at 4 p.m., when that designation became available.
The rest of the Giants guard options are young and inexperienced. Brandon Mosley, who struggled at times this preseason and is dealing with a back injury, has one career start. Weston Richburg, who is filling in for Schwartz at left guard, is a rookie whose natural position is center. Those two are backed up by John Jerry, who is coming off offseason knee surgery.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...snyder-report-article-1.1925611#ixzz3CFyKlYpf

Last edited:
I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I'm expecting 9-10 wins. I think we will find a way to have the Offense clicking. If we can score 20-24 a game I think we will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom