Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Indeed. Pac fan here. Its a huge disservice to JMM to mention it was a lucky punch.
Study all you want but Marquez had a broken nose and a concussion. There was no way he was throwing that punch with clear and precise vision. I'd say it was a lucky punch.

I don't get the Mauro hate, I like him. He's like a fan with a mic, which is pretty much what I do from home. I'm not bothered. Jim Lampley, though, sounds like he talks AT the audience and not TO the audience.

What's the money line on Cuadras right now? Is it worth betting?

Carlos Cuadras
+625

Roman Gonzalez

GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-disgust-Lavell-Crawford-GIF.gif

Nevermind.

Has anyone heard anything about Nicholas Walters? Dude has been non existent that I know of since his draw with Sosa last year..

Study all you want but Marquez had a broken nose and a concussion. There was no way he was throwing that punch with clear and precise vision. I'd say it was a lucky punch.

Ridiculous. Marquez is one of the greatest counter punchers ever. One of the reasons is he throws his counters under fire and after getting hurt. He gets rocked or knocked down in basically all of his fights. Doesn't stop him from staying focused. That perfect punch is what he does. All pressure fighters he's gone up against have gotten badly hurt.

My favorite thing about that match is Pacquiao fans crying about PEDs after Pacquaio ducked real testing for years. The irony.

All fighters have a punchers chance, it's part of the game.

I remember Gamboa getting dropped from an unknown fighter that he was completely winning.

Same with Rigo, imagine if the ref decided to call the fight after being knockdown twice?

Lucky Punches do exist, same with Sucker Punches.

Last edited:
I always found the "lucky punch" discussion absurd in combat sports.

How do you decipher which of the hundreds of punches that can be thrown in a fight are "lucky" or "unlucky"?

Not only that. There is video of Marquez working on that punch during camp, and it caught knocked Pac down earlier in that same fight.

Lucky punch, so asinine.

:lol:

Last edited:
I always found the "lucky punch" discussion absurd in combat sports.

How do you decipher which of the hundreds of punches that can be thrown in a fight are "lucky" or "unlucky"?

Not only that. There is video of Marquez working on that punch during camp, and it caught knocked Pac down earlier in that same fight.

Lucky punch, so asinine.

:lol:

Lucky punch has always been a lackluster excuse for why another boxer got caught slipping. Similar to the George Foreman/Michael Moorer fight where he was getting set up the whole fight & even got warned by his corner that he was getting set up & STILL got knocked out & calls it a lucky punch till the day.

All fighters have a punchers chance, it's part of the game.

I remember Gamboa getting dropped from an unknown fighter that he was completely winning.

Same with Rigo, imagine if the ref decided to call the fight after being knockdown twice?

Lucky Punches do exist, same with Sucker Punches.

You're not really describing "lucky" punches though. Talking 'bout refs etc.

Which is my point. There is no real definition for it in a fight where hundreds of punches are being thrown.

And what do "lucky" punches have to do with "sucker punches"? "Sucker punches" are intentional.

You guys make it seem like "lucky punches" are not. Because if they are, they're not really "lucky".

I'm guessing none of y'all have ever had a broken nose before. You can't breathe correctly. As a result it saps your strength because you're not getting the proper oxygen cycled into your body, you get weaker at a much more rapid pace than you would at perfect physical health.

Hazy vision
Poor breathing conditions
Strength draining

Given the circumstances Marquez was in I fail to see how the term "lucky punch" is considered asinine.

I'll never understand how a known counter puncher knocks someone out who ran into a counter punch & it still being called a lucky punch.

I'll never understand how a known counter puncher knocks someone out who ran into a counter punch & it still being called a lucky punch.

Yeah that's how I see it. Manny was fighting extra aggressive trying to get the KO and got caught by one of the best counter punchers in the game, and a dude that knows his game very well, and by a punch that there's video evidence that the guy was drilling in practice. That's all training and muscle memory imo

I don' know why Marquez won't give Manny another shot. Pac gave him 3 rematches, and he won't let him get one. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom