Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

yeah i saw that video a while back

which makes no sense at the time since andre ward fights light heavyweight and ggg fights at middleweight

neither fighters are gonna move up or down to fight each other

ggg has stated that hes staying at 160 to unify all the belt and would only move down to 154 to fight mayweather for that big money fight

hopefully if ggg unifies all the middleweight belts and ward wins against kovalev.... then we finally see a ggg vs ward

i was just wondering on krazyrodzilla's stance on the matter

which makes no sense at the time since andre ward fights light heavyweight and ggg fights at middleweight

ggg has stated that hes staying at 160 to unify all the belt and would only move down to 154 to fight mayweather for that big money fight

hopefully if ggg unifies all the middleweight belts and ward wins against kovalev.... then we finally see a ggg vs ward

They're never gonna fight. Those days are over. GGG is chasing Canelo now.

I truly believe he didn't/don't want any parts of Ward. Saying you'll fight anyone from 168-154 yet turn down Ward fight in 5 mins?
Sure you seen this, at the 55 second mark.

Ward had his first fight at LHW less than 6 months ago.

Otherwise it's been Super MW.
Dude said it like he's been a LHW for years 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I feel like he made the move because there was no other fight for him at SMW.

If GGG had accepted the fight, I believe he would have stayed.

Since GGG didn't want to move up, he did, for a super fight.

Someone posted a vid a while back with a lot of the contradictions from Golvkin and his camp. Guy is a great fighter, but let's call it what it is.

Last edited:
I feel like he made the move because there was no other fight for him at SMW.

If GGG had accepted the fight, I believe he would have stayed.

Since GGG didn't want to move up, he did, for a super fight.

Someone posted a vid a while back with a lot of the contradictions from Golvkin and his camp. Guy is a great fighter, but let's call it what it is.
THIS! He has a super fight now. We shall see how it plays out. Regardless, have to respect him for moving up and facing the number 1 guy in that weight class.

Last edited:
To be fair, Ward vs Smith was at a catch weight of 172 almost 15 months ago. GGG vs Ward is a fight all the boxing fans want to see but it's definitely not a big money fight compared to Canelo or Mayweather. Money talks. Did anyone actually see an official contract turned down by Golovkin and his team to fight Ward? Or is it he said/she said stuff? A lot of fighters say they had contracts drawn up and were ready to be signed. We don't know the language of the contacts, if they were fair, or even if they ever existed in the first place.

He never said there was a contract. Listen to the interview. Offer and contract are two totally different things.

But I see where we're going with this.

One guy is fighting a champ two weight classes below. The other is fighting a champ weight class above. It is what it is.

Even though there's apparently only two guys worth fighting in boxing and one is retired :lol:.

Looking forward to Ward/Kovalev. And will be watching what will hopefully be a fun fight on Saturday.

Hoping Jacobs looks real good as well. I'd still like to see him vs. GGG in BK.

On that note.....where the **** is Quillin?

Last edited:
Never said there were only two worth fighting, only two that would bring in BIG money. A fight with Ward isn't bringing in big money. Only reason the causals would even watch the fight honestly is because it's Golovkin, the "guy that knocks everyone out." Of course the die hard boxing fans want to see it. My point about the contract talk is, a lot of folks hear "offer" or "contract" and they run with it. Automatically assuming the other fighter and his team are to blame for not making it happen. As far as Quillin goes, that dude disappeared after the Jacobs fight. Don't know if he'll ever be the same. If Mora were to score an upset tomorrow night, doubt we'll see Jacobs and Golovkin unless they get desperate being in that position now coming off of a loss.

Why even mention there's only two that will bring big money though? If one is retired.

They gotta fight SOMEBODY for the most $$$ they can if it ain't gonna be one of them.

Because if the idea is that GGG is biding his time waiting for his BIG money fight with Canelo, that kind of supports my point.

GGG is fighting someone other than Canelo. So is Ward. Life goes on. There was a great fight to be made between the two of them that didn't.

Ward seems like a straight shooter. Maybe he's lying. Who knows.

GGG never denied it that I can recall. And he's fighting a lighter guy. After clowning Canelo for doing the same.

It's not about running with anything. If you look at the whole situation, it's questionable. It is what it is.

We'll never see Jacobs fight Gennady if he loses though. He best not :lol:

Just saw Quillin is having another baby. Congrats to him. Shame that L shut him down like that. There are some fun fights out there for him too.

Last edited:
Shame Ward lost all the momentum coming off the Super Six + Dawson fight.

I'm guessing GGG will make good coin on the Brook fight though since it's a UK PPV?

I can't imagine he was banking much on Geale, Monroe, Wade etc. Lemieux fight was probably the most marketable of all of them.

3G vs Jacobs won't happen even if Jacobs wins anyways. Boxing politics al Haymon + HBO = no fight
Al Haymon would want the fight on showtime HBO will want it on their network and not a big money fight as you guys have mentioned so DOA

Still don't see the point of someone moving up in weight without cleaning out the division. It's not like Ward was willing to meet him halfway at 164.

Why even mention there's only two that will bring big money though? If one is retired.

They gotta fight SOMEBODY for the most $$$ they can if it ain't gonna be one of them.

Because if the idea is that GGG is biding his time waiting for his BIG money fight with Canelo, that kind of supports my point.

GGG is fighting someone other than Canelo. So is Ward. Life goes on. There was a great fight to be made between the two of them that didn't.

Ward seems like a straight shooter. Maybe he's lying. Who knows.

GGG never denied it that I can recall. And he's fighting a lighter guy. After clowning Canelo for doing the same.

It's not about running with anything. If you look at the whole situation, it's questionable. It is what it is.

We'll never see Jacobs fight Gennady if he loses though. He best not :lol:

Just saw Quillin is having another baby. Congrats to him. Shame that L shut him down like that. There are some fun fights out there for him too.

Eddie Hearn made this fight happen, Golovkin and his people didn't seek out Brook. They were after Chris Eubank Jr. After Jacobs and Saunders both tucked tail and ran after taking big. Eddie Hearn promotes both of them and Probably didn't want to lose out on a payday off of Golovkin.

At the final pressed Hearn straight up said negotiations with K2 and Golovkin are easy. He went on to say if you're in talks with Golovkin for a fight and it doesn't happen, you're that problem not Golovkin and his team.

Ward or his people tried to offer a fight after Golovkin signed to fight Lemieux and then made it out like Golovkin ducked him. Then he moved up.

I honestly don't care to see Ward try to hug Golovkin for 12 rounds, so it isn't a loss that the fight won't ever happen.

The Brook fight sucks, but it is what we get to keep Golovkin active with a willing opponent. Hopefully one of the other middleweight champs accepts a fight next because Oscar doesn't want a Canelo fight at all.

I'm not saying he sought out the fight. He took it. After clowning Canelo for fighting a lighter opponent.

So it's obviously not just about "cleaning out the division".

For all we know Tureano Johnson could have been healthy again for a fight. Or a SMW could have come down. Or he could have gone up.

The Ward negotiations were pre Lemieux deal.

As someone mentioned, Ward was already eyeing the move up dating back to the Smith fight. But would have stayed at SMW for the GGG fight.

Or gone up for Kovalev. Could have gone either way for the best fight.

I'm not mad at the Brook fight. But I for one would have rather seen the Ward fight. I think we can all agree it should have been a more competitive fight.

Unless Brook surprises us all!

Last edited:
I truly believe he didn't/don't want any parts of Ward. Saying you'll fight anyone from 168-154 yet turn down Ward fight in 5 mins?
Sure you seen this, at the 55 second mark.

saw this last year and it was very interesting

was waiting for him to show the email he offered ggg's team

ward hasnt fought at 168 since Nov 2013

he then fought catchweight of 172 on June 2015

it was after the paul smith fight was when ward moved up to light heavyweight.

ggg would have been his first light heavyweight. ggg turned it down. he didnt wanna go to 175.

i cant bash ward or ggg for not fighting each other

would have been an epic between the two though.

in the meantime... ward vs kovalev has the potential to be fight of the year!

He didn't fight at ANY weight class for that time period :lol:

Where are you seeing that the fight would have been at 175?

Loeffler himself said they offered to fight Ward at 168......at the beginning of 2017 when they got the offer.

They said this in 2015 :lol:

The fight was never negotiated at 175 to my knowledge. It was always at 168. If you read the interviews thats consistent with both Ward and Loefller.

It was the "timing" that was the issue.

And the split of course. I'm just curious as to what the money looks like in a Ward fight as opposed to Geale, Monroe etc.

The other factor was that they might have been hoping they'd get Cotto after Monroe.

GGG beat Monroe in May, Ward beat Smith in June.

Cotto/Canelo was announced in Aug.

Last edited:
yes, loeffler did say that they offered to fight ward at 168

ward has said last year that he was already moving up to 175 after fighting at 172

ward hasnt fought at 168 since 3 yrs ago

i can see where both parties didnt agree on the terms and agreement

thats why i would have loved it if ward show us this email he was referring to

speaking of loeffler...

I'm just saying that I don't think the weight was the issue.

This dude really saying the fight would make sense if Ward beats Kovalev? If they don't want to do the fight now, I can't see them wanting to do it then.

Everybody playing this "it will be bigger down the line" card. Same thing Jacobs did to GGG even though he'd still get a premium payday out of it today.

As someone else suggested though, a lot of this is he said/she said.

I work in music, so I know a few guys at Roc Nation Sports, who come from the music side. So even I know I'm getting one side.

Here's an article....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...golovkin-hbo-tom-loeffler-20150915-story.html

Loeffler said his emailed reply to Ward’s camp was that if Ward was still at 168 pounds in early 2017, Golovkin would be pleased to consider the bout at that point.

When Golovkin first began to fight on HBO, Loeffler said, a list of 20 potential opponents included Ward (28-0, 15 knockouts), with Golovkin trainer Abel Sanchez touting his fighter as willing to fight anyone between 154 and 168 pounds in a reference directed at Ward.

But as that interest went unrequited, Loeffler said he was approached by Ward following the Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight in May and was asked to stop referencing Ward. Loeffler said he and Sanchez agreed to discuss Ward only if asked about him by reporters.

"If you don’t want to fight a fighter, think it’s not your style, just say that," Ward said on the video. "The truth is, they never wanted the fight. The reality is we offered him a fight six, seven months ago, before we knew he had a pay-per-view coming up ... 50%. He turned it down in five minutes. The short and long of it is they never wanted the fight."

Last edited:
maybe the weight was the issue, maybe not

aside from team ward and team ggg, none of us dont really know all the details (show us the email ward LOL)

it is exactly a he said she said scenario

The weight seems to be the one thing where everyone was on the same page.

It was either GGG at SMW or Kovalev at LHW for Ward.

If dude didn't want to move up one to him in the next year/500 days, he was going to do it himself for Kovalev.

He seemed to want a fight with a P4P great one way or another. That's why I kind of lean towards one side.

One moved up to fight a champ. The other had a champ move up two classes to him. How you gonna claim you'll fight 154-168 then fight the 147 champ?

What sucks is that GGG is looking to a Canelo fight but I'm not sure the other side (GoldenBoy) is checking for that at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom