Official 2017 Boxing Thread: 12/16 - Billy Joe Saunders vs. David Lemieux HBO

Who will be the winner of Terence Crawford vs. Julius Indongo fight?

• Crawford

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Indongo

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had Jacobs winning, but I wouldn't call it a robbery.
I score rounds by who LANDED the most punches. By that definition there were many even rounds. When that's even I give it to the fighter who displayed ring generalship. GGG fought Jacobs' fight, not the other way around, so I scored most of the even rounds for Jacobs.

Judges seem to always give the big draw close rounds. Boxing needs a culture change. (and I don't just mean the judges)
I completely forgot Jacobs blew off the weigh-in, so screw him regardless. Dude couldn't have won any belts anyway, and he still lost on the scorecards

I had Jacobs winning, but I wouldn't call it a robbery.
I score rounds by who LANDED the most punches. By that definition there were many even rounds. When that's even I give it to the fighter who displayed ring generalship. GGG fought Jacobs' fight, not the other way around, so I scored most of the even rounds for Jacobs.

Judges seem to always give the big draw close rounds. Boxing needs a culture change. (and I don't just mean the judges)

Something that seems to go over a lot of folks' heads.

Case in point, Thurman "beating" Porter when the entirety of the fight Thurman was fighting Porter's fight. Porter was pressuring, bullying, fighting his physical brand of fights and Thurman rarely looked comfortable and while it certainly was a close fight, how anyone scored it for Thurman over Porter is beyond me.

That and people's inability to identify and score 10-10 rounds gets on my last nerve.

Folks getting lazy.

GGG didn't fight his fight :lol:

Jacobs threw everything he had at GGG and it all got blocked or was quickly answered with a jab/power punch.

Jacobs had a decent fight, but in no way did he ever look like he had the fight going his way.

At least, not what I saw.

Might re-watch it, might not.

Chocolatito fight was really good tbh.

Fantastic night for boxing imo.

GGG didn't fight his fight :lol:

Jacobs threw everything he had at GGG and it all got blocked or was quickly answered with a jab/power punch.

Jacobs had a decent fight, but in no way did he ever look like he had the fight going his way.

At least, not what I saw.

Might re-watch it, might not.

Chocolatito fight was really good tbh.

Fantastic night for boxing imo.

Mainly rewatching for the Chocalito Srisaket bout. Great fight.

Perhaps you're right however, which is why I need to rewatch the GGG Jacobs bout.

At first glance however, this was not GGG's usual brand of boxing. I thought he looked a bit frustrated at times and I thought Jacobs constant switching from orthodox to southpaw gave GGG quite a bit of pause throughout the bout.

I just saw those scorecards. Look to the first three rounds to highlight what I said about judges automatically giving close rounds to the big draw and current champ.

Yeah, I don't see GGG getting 2 out of the first 3. Jacobs 2 out of 3 at the very least, but I had him sweeping all three.

Case in point, Thurman "beating" Porter when the entirety of the fight Thurman was fighting Porter's fight. Porter was pressuring, bullying, fighting his physical brand of fights and Thurman rarely looked comfortable and while it certainly was a close fight, how anyone scored it for Thurman over Porter is beyond me.

That and people's inability to identify and score 10-10 rounds gets on my last nerve.

Folks getting lazy.

I definitely give credit to making the other guy fight your fight, but you still have to do work. Thurman was doing cleaner work and landing some BOMBS on Porter man. Definitely a close fight but there's limits to the making the other guy fight your fight theory.

Last edited:
But at the end of the day I think this fight just came down to who's the headliner and who's not. Just like Ward-Kovalev.

So many parallels, but in both cases, right or wrong, the A side got the swing rounds and that was the deciding factor

We'll I'm on my 4th beeer... so cheers gents. 
nthat.gif

I definitely give credit to making the other guy fight your fight, but you still have to do work. Thurman was doing cleaner work and landing some BOMBS on Porter man. Definitely a close fight but there's limits to the making the other guy fight your fight theory.

Porter was landing some heavy shots on Thurman too.

Another example, the Kovalev Ward bout. I mean c'mon, nobody in good conscience should've came away feeling like Ward won that bout. Yes he came on but it wasn't enough.

I'll have to rewatch this one again to see how much of Jacobs shots landed cleanly. GGG has some very underrated defense but I saw far more than 31 jabs land on GGG tonight.

But at the end of the day I think this fight just came down to who's the headliner and who's not. Just like Ward-Kovalev.

So many parallels, but in both cases, right or wrong, the A side got the swing rounds and that was the deciding factor

Ward is a questionable A side fighter at this point. :lol:

The "beat the champ convincingly" mantra is one I sort of agree with, but when Krusher was ahead of Ward on many P4P lists coming into that bout (no doubt due to Ward's inactivity and quality or lack thereof of opponents) I don't think it should be a factor.

In this one? Sure, GGG was hands down the A side. I can get with that.

Chris Mannix‏Verified account @ChrisMannixYS  15m15 minutes ago
 Abel Sanchez says that if Golovkin beats Saunders, he will vacate the middleweight belts.
Looks like he's moving to 168. 

Porter was landing some heavy shots on Thurman too.

Another example, the Kovalev Ward bout. I mean c'mon, nobody in good conscience should've came away feeling like Ward won that bout. Yes he came on but it wasn't enough.

I'll have to rewatch this one again to see how much of Jacobs shots landed cleanly. GGG has some very underrated defense but I saw far more than 31 jabs land on GGG tonight.

But doesn't Kovalev beating Ward go against the theory tho? Because after the knockdown Ward made Kovalev fight his fight right?

But I mean it's all subjective I guess. Ward Kovalev had a bunch of swing rounds, more than this fight even. I think I had it even 6-6 + the Kovalev knockdown, so 1 point decision win for Kovalev. I could understand the other way though

Folks getting lazy.

10-10 rounds are lazy and cop outs. You start scoring swing rounds like that and it's a slippery slope. One judge in the first Duran-Leonard fight had TEN draw rounds out of 15 :lol:

I don't get this mentality though. So one fighter is landing the cleaner, more effective punches and being more active but because your fighting at the pace the other fighter dictates, they should win the round? Makes no sense.

Jacobs was boxing on the move nicely but getting caught consistently with stiff jabs, not landing cleanly and got rocked multiple times. Doesn't matter what style they're fighting. Some world class fighters just FORCE you to fight their fights. Doesnt mean you can't beat them at it. Just like Porter-Thurman, Maidana-Floyd, etc.

I had it 6-6 at worst for GGG with the KD being the difference.

GGG and Prime Hagler would've been a hell of a fight. Would've also loved to see Gennady try to deal with Hearns' length and power.

But doesn't Kovalev beating Ward go against the theory tho? Because after the knockdown Ward made Kovalev fight his fight right?

But I mean it's all subjective I guess. Ward Kovalev had a bunch of swing rounds, more than this fight even. I think I had it even 6-6 + the Kovalev knockdown, so 1 point decision win for Kovalev. I could understand the other way though

Well, it was a tale of two halves IMO.

Ward came out in the latter half of the fight but as a whole I thought Krusher did enough early on to win.

Hearns and Hagler probably walked around at 220 between fights

Them cats cut a lot of weight to make 160/168 or whatever

Last edited:
10-10 rounds are lazy and cop outs. You start scoring swing rounds like that and it's a slippery slope. One judge in the first Duran-Leonard fight had TEN draw rounds out of 15 :lol:

I don't get this mentality though. So one fighter is landing the cleaner, more effective punches and being more active but because your fighting at the pace the other fighter dictates, they should win the round? Makes no sense.

Jacobs was boxing on the move nicely but getting caught consistently with stiff jabs, not landing cleanly and got rocked multiple times. Doesn't matter what style they're fighting. Some world class fighters just FORCE you to fight their fights. Doesnt mean you can't beat them at it. Just like Porter-Thurman, Maidana-Floyd, etc.

I had it 6-6 at worst for GGG with the KD being the difference.

I had two 10-10 rounds in this bout. I already deleted my scorecard so I don't recall which rounds it was, believe it was the 9th and 10th but I could be wrong.

I don't go crazy with 10-10 rounds but at the same time some people just NEVER score a round 10-10. Sometimes rounds are dead even.

Don't get the mentality? I mean it's not a mentality, it's ring generalship. It's how proper scoring should be assessed. Granted it's one facet of scoring, but it should be assessed. Some people just do away with it altogether, that's my issue.

Wait, Jacobs was closer to Light Heavyweight than Cruiser weight??

And still ran from GGG

Geale fought Cotto at 157 and he came in at 182 on fight night. Probably around the same weight Jacobs came in at. When Victor Ortiz fought Floyd, he was at 162 on fight night. Probably had a good 10 pounds on him. Jacobs didn't do anything different than normal big middle weights do. Wouldn't expect him to do anything different than any normal middleweight - including "running" from the best power puncher in the world.

Back
Top Bottom