Official 2017 Boxing Thread: 12/16 - Billy Joe Saunders vs. David Lemieux HBO

Who will be the winner of Terence Crawford vs. Julius Indongo fight?

• Crawford

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Indongo

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Y'all assuming Danny beats Pac at the time that fight was being discussed tho? I think the Manny that beat Vargas woulda been a tough fight for DSG.

I'm still trying to figure out what made the difference in the Horn fight tho. Did he just get old overnight or was it the fouls, did he look past him, I dunno.

But regardless Garcia isn't awkward like Horn and wouldn't treat the fight like a rugby match. Not sure how that fight would've ended up if it got made last year

Pacquiao was perceived to be past his prime, but still at a pretty high point in his career. Pacquiao would definitely have been the favorite going into the fight. Win or lose, Garcia would've gotten the chance to main event a PPV and get paid three times or more than what he made in the Thurman fight. Pacquiao wouldn't have totally outclassed him. With all due respect to Jessie Vargas and Dewey Cooper, Danny Garcia is a few notches better and has more experience on the big stage. I think he would have been able to take Pacquiao's best punch and then figure out a way to time him. But that's neither here nor there, the stars didn't align and we didn't get to see it. If he won, he could've milked it for another Multi-Million Dollar PPV. So the risk-reward was definitely in Garcia's favor. Instead he fought Thurman and now he is reduced to a fringe contender because he can't beat the top guys at 147.

Last edited:
 Douglass Fischer‏ @dougiefischer  25m25 minutes ago
It's unconscionable that Luis Cruz, who didn't belong in the ring w/ Easter & was dropped 3 times, did better on 2 scorecards than Shafikov.
laugh.gif

mean.gif

Pacquiao was perceived to be past his prime, but still at a pretty high point in his career. Pacquiao would definitely have been the favorite going into the fight. Win or lose, Garcia would've gotten the chance to main event a PPV and get paid three times or more than what he made in the Thurman fight. Pacquiao wouldn't have totally outclassed him. With all due respect to Jessie Vargas and Dewey Cooper, Danny Garcia is a few notches better and has more experience on the big stage. I think he would have been able to take Pacquiao's best punch and then figure out a way to time him. But that's neither here nor there, the stars didn't align and we didn't get to see it. If he won, he could've milked it for another Multi-Million Dollar PPV. So the risk-reward was definitely in Garcia's favor. Instead he fought Thurman and now he is reduced to a fringe contender because he can't beat the top guys at 147.

True, Pac was a bigger financial reward. I guess they viewed him as a bigger risk though, they turned down a 3 to 4 mil offer so I'm guessing they just weren't as confident with that as they were with Thurman. But yeah who knows how things might have turned out if they could've made that happen.

Danny is def milking this for everything he can get, he's put himself in an amazing position financially I'll say that. I think I saw something like his sisters are going to be on MTV My super sweet 16 or some ****. The only boxer I've seen execute that model of box, gram, sell clothes, host some clubs and pool parties effectively is Floyd.  Danny is def trying to follow in that foot steps.

Thing is if Danny is actually trying to follow Floyd in that business model he has to actually fight to maintain it. People won't care about hosting him and buying his stuff if he's not having big fights or actually semi good. Danny's personality might hold him up though. Dude seems chill

If DSG fought Pacquiao, that fight would've been PPV and then his fight vs Thurman would also be PPV. So he missed out on two PPV's. Now he probably won't ever headline a PPV.

How is his fight with Thurman a PPV if he loses to Pac?

Why do I care if his fight with either is a PPV if he doesn't? I saved money.

He doesn't even fight Thurman if he loses to Pac. At least he went in against the guy who was perceived the #1 WW.

Isn't that what everyone was asking of him?

If you guys want these guys to be what YOU want.......then you need to figure out what YOU want :lol:

But it looks like suddenly fans who complain about matchmaking are playing promoter and talking about risk/reward fights.

Went from "Danny is avoiding the top guys" to "Danny should have fought a different guy that he could have beaten" :lol:

Last edited:
If DSG fought Pacquiao, that fight would've been PPV and then his fight vs Thurman would also be PPV. So he missed out on two PPV's. Now he probably won't ever headline a PPV.

He doesn't even fight Thurman if he loses to Pac. At least he went in against the guy who was perceived the #1 WW.

If you guys want these guys to be what YOU want.......then you need to figure out what YOU want :lol:

If Garcia went on to fight Thurman after Pacquiao then whether or not it is on PPV is obviously contingent on if he beat Pacquiao. Fighting Pacquiao first would not have been perceived as a cherry pick. I think he would've beaten Pacquiao but that's just speculation, we will never know. Garcia-Thurman was going to happen at some point. Their rankings, records, and belts would vary but nonetheless they were on a collision course. I'm sure DSG is kicking himself for not accepting the fight, and now he is calling out Jeff Horn instead. He missed out on the financial end and also the potential upside of beating Pacquiao.

If we look at at the bigger picture, boxing is pretty dead and Pacquiao-Garcia was a fight that the sport needed last year. The biggest PPV of 2016 was Canelo-Khan, which sold 600k. It took the biggest draw in the sport and the biggest name in the UK to crack 500k. When fighters see that the two best guys at 140, Crawford and Postol could only generate 60k buys then there isn't much incentive to fight the best. It was not long ago when we had several PPV's each year that did 1M+, the days of Mayweather-Mosley and Pacquiao-Cotto. That was when the economy was ****. But whenever Pacquiao or Mayweather had a fight, it was an actual event and people stopped whatever they were doing to watch. Pacquiao-Garcia was a fight that the casuals would've gotten behind, and they are the ones that make the world go round.

In retrospect, the biggest loser this year is Danny Garcia. He had the chance to fight this faded Pacquiao and raise his profile. Instead he fought Thurman, lost his 0 and his belt.
Even tho Danny called Pacquiao out he never was offered a fight vs Pacquaio

Pacquaio attempted to fight Khan who not only was coming off a KO loss but was already KO'd by Danny

Both loss this year but Danny lost in a unification vs Thurman

And Pac lost to a school teacher he cherry picked

Is that just an Island thing then?

Besides a few Chi transplants we really don't get many Ricans up here, but online at least he has never seemed to be as popular as Cotto at a similar point of his career, or even Verdejo. 

And it's not like either of those dudes don't come with their own flaws as well.  Cotto has always been described as a bit of an *******, and Verdejo is looking like a bust. 
He's very popular with Rican's and is probably a bigger draw than Cotto today

Also Verdejo's far from a bust, he just has a horrible promotion team

On the Island?  Say what you want about Bob but he knows how to build stars.  

I don't think Verdejo gets passed Flanagan, which would make him a bust considering he was at one time TR's best prospect. 

If Garcia went on to fight Thurman after Pacquiao then whether or not it is on PPV is obviously contingent on if he beat Pacquiao. Fighting Pacquiao first would not have been perceived as a cherry pick. I think he would've beaten Pacquiao but that's just speculation, we will never know. Garcia-Thurman was going to happen at some point. Their rankings, records, and belts would vary but nonetheless they were on a collision course. I'm sure DSG is kicking himself for not accepting the fight, and now he is calling out Jeff Horn instead. He missed out on the financial end and also the potential upside of beating Pacquiao.

If we look at at the bigger picture, boxing is pretty dead and Pacquiao-Garcia was a fight that the sport needed last year. The biggest PPV of 2016 was Canelo-Khan, which sold 600k. It took the biggest draw in the sport and the biggest name in the UK to crack 500k. When fighters see that the two best guys at 140, Crawford and Postol could only generate 60k buys then there isn't much incentive to fight the best. It was not long ago when we had several PPV's each year that did 1M+, the days of Mayweather-Mosley and Pacquiao-Cotto. That was when the economy was ****. But whenever Pacquiao or Mayweather had a fight, it was an actual event and people stopped whatever they were doing to watch. Pacquiao-Garcia was a fight that the casuals would've gotten behind, and they are the ones that make the world go round.

We'll agree to disagree. Your first paragraph sounds like what Angel would say. Let's fight this other guy and "eventually" we'll get to the top guy even though we're supposed to be one of them and we're holing a belt. Dude fought the best guy out there any now people want to say he shouldn't have? Bizarre IMO.

"Boxing is pretty dead"? The sport "needed" Paquiao-Garcia? OK :lol:

I don't care about what fights are on PPV and what are not. The PPV model means nothing to me as a fan and has probably done more to hurt boxing than help it.

Somehow amidst all of that tragedy you're typing about, we're still getting an incredible run of fights this year. So somehow Boxing has survived not getting.....Paquiao-Garcia.

[thread="658285"] [/thread]
[thread="658285"]Also Verdejo's far from a bust, he just has a horrible promotion team[/thread]

On the Island?  Say what you want about Bob but he knows how to build stars.  

I don't think Verdejo gets passed Flanagan, which would make him a bust considering he was at one time TR's best prospect. 

I think the injuries have really slowed him down. Is the Flanagan fight even official?

Last edited:
Yea. A bit discouraged by the use of the word "if" in there several times but Loma was starting to get trolled on IG about it so hopefully his promoters see there is some demand.

Back
Top Bottom