Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Non NLCS news......

Eddy Julio Martinez is being listed as signed by multiple sources.

Also, MLB did their top rookies for 2015 and beyond, and the Cubs had 4 of the top 15.

Bryant #2
Russell #6
Schwarber #10
Soler #15

All 4 should be better next season as well as Baez.
think Castro stays for another year?

I personally do think so, but I have read a lot of folks that think he gets dealt.

My thing, it "deepens" us to have all 3 up, at the same time. Joe LOVES moving pieces, and he can move Bryant in or out to the corner outfield spots for either rest, or injury, or even lefty/righty matchups. To do that, you need Baez around at 3B, and Castro at 2B. If you deal Castro, it kind of locks them all in. Baez has to stay at 2B, Bryant has to stay at 3B etc.

The logical side of me thinks of something else tho.

Say Theo does pull Price like we have talked about all summer. What if he wants MORE? What if he could pry Ross from San Diego for Castro? And have Arrieta, Lester, Price, and Ross, and still have plenty of bats to choose from. (not to mention, one Gleyber Torres could still be that insurance type of backup plan AND a lot cheaper than Castro) :nerd:

I'm not saying one way is definitive at all, I just know Theo has options, and will adjust accordingly. I'd love for them to keep Castro and hope that he can build on this season by staying at 2B every day, and getting back to the line drive machine he was at 20-21, but I won't be upset if he pulls a frontline type of starter to slot in at #4 behind 3 aces. (assuming #3 comes)

yeah i feel you man. having that infield depth and being able to shuffle bryant is clutch. if happ crushes it in the minors next year maybe that makes moving castro at the deadline easier.

That's the thing, I don't know who/when the next wave gets brought up.

Happ, Almora, Eddy Julio, McKinney, Torres, Eloy, Contreras.......

Getting a couple of them either up to at least Triple A, or even on the bench ready to learn, would make the other moves that much easier.

I'd have no prob accepting a 3rd Ace + trade Starlin for a solid #4 IF they could bring up 1/2 of these other kids early enough to have an impact.

Cuz trade Starlin, and one injury to a Soler/Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber, and the lineup gets thin, quick. Gotta keep it with 6-7 capable bats every day to improve on this year the right way.

Time to make a stand @Cubs. :pimp:

Hopefully we can have a breakout game, and at least make the Mets work for this.

Kyle Hendricks, need the game of your life buddy.

Flat out bein outplayed, all the way around.

Pitching, fielding, hitting, baserunning.

Mets have aggressively done everything right. We've made too many mistakes.

2 RBI doubles
3 solo homers

Whole series. That's not gonna get it done. 0-20 leading off an inning as well. All bad.

Gotta keep fighting, but we're in a bad spot right now.

Mets pitching has been superb.
Cubs just failing to work the count, get on base....relying too much on the long ball.

I still refuse to throw in the towel!! If anyone can win out..we can!!!

It feels like we've completely forgotten to play baseball. I understand we're not even supposed to be here, but at least put up a fight. We look like a minor league team. No plate discipline, fielding errors, awful pitching...you name it.

It's all a learning experience.

Look at the Royals. They are on a mission this year after the magic last year.

These kids will all improve next year, and Theo will add to the core. We won 97, and will be better next season.

^
repped

I wholeheartedly agree with you CP, but it still hurts.

Not only that but we set the bar pretty high for these young fellas.
I'm still hoping Theo can get us some arms this off season.
I wanted Mad Max this year but that didn't happen......I WANT PRICE this year!!!

Last edited:
Just win tomorrow. Get it to Lester.

Then get it back to NY, to Arrieta.

Then game 7.

#04TheoBoSox

I understand why Lester is the best option but I'm having a hard time with his production vs his ~$155 million dollar contact; all year at that. They are early so I'm not all worked up like others but if they want to win, they need more pitching because it's pretty much scrub central after the the top two.

when your team has struggled for a decade, you have to overpay for that first premiere free agent. lester's solid enough, but i could see your concerns. add price to the mix in the offseason, y'all scare me next year :smh:

Last edited:
:lol: come on, you know we need a miracle, and all the odds are against us right now. Just tryin to keep this team workin, fightin for this. Want them to hunger next year. Cuz next year, they won't sneak up on anyone, they will be expected to be good.

I know :lol: I really want this to get done this year because next year you scare me a lot. Everyone a year older, probably adding another pitcher or two. Gonna be dangerous.

Last edited:
Wind is blowin out, Cubs need to get some damn runners on base, and get a couple up in the air.

Most important tho, get some damn guys on base. :frown:

Anyone who's been in this thread, knows I post everything I can. So please, everyone, don't look at this as giving up. It's just information I've been scouring for for a while. I finally put it all down in one place. (and not even all that in depth yet, just what I know off the top of my head)

I fully realize we still have a series or two to try and win right here in 2015.

Just info.

ETA's
RHP CJ Edwards
CF Albert Almora
RHP Pierce Johnson
OF Billy McKinney
RHP Corey Black

2B/CF Ian Happ (SS)
SS Gleyber Torres
C Wilson Contreras
CF Eddy Julio Martinez
RHP Duane Underwood
RHP Jake Stinnett
OF Eloy Jiminez

These are just guesses on my part. CJ has been close for a while now, and actually had a small taste this year. I expect with another run thru camp next year, Bosio should be able to work some more magic and get him ready to start helpin out in 2016. Probably in the pen.
Almora is insurance if Fowler leaves. (Fowler leaving would also net us another draft pick) When you think about it, if we sign Price, but let Fowler go, our salary doesn’t even really jump all that much. Maybe 10-12 mil. Almora doesn’t have the bat, or switch hitting that Fowler does, but he plays excellent defense and that alone would give him value for this roster. Montero, Russell, Almora up the middle is STRONG.
Pierce Johnson is another one that has been workin in the minors for a few years, I don’t know if he’ll be ready opening day, but he should be able to come up soon and help, again, either as a starter, or a reliever.
McKinney would be outfield depth in the corners, I suspect he starts year in Triple A, and could come up as needed. (injury protection)
Black is yet another arm that’s close. Hitting that age 24-25 where kids get things figured out, and Bosio will be there to help as well.

All five at worst should start the year in Triple A, and could be this year’s Schwarber, Russell, Bryant contributors come May-June, etc. I suppose 1-2 others could make a big jump if they prove themselves, ala Schwarber who really was supposed to just get thru Double and Triple A this year, and flourished. It’s possible we have another guy or two make a leap like that, but hard to predict.

2017 could be a really fun class. Look at those names. If Happ doesn’t make the Schwarber, he should easily be ready for 2017, and his position versatility could make him a September 2016 call up at worse. A switch hitting second baseman, that can play in the outfield too? Maddon will love this kid.
Torres I have talked about in here for months. He is jumping leaps and bounds already, he could be in Triple A early in 2016, and will just need space if/when a Baez or Castro get moved. The kid will be 19 next year.
Contreras is 2017 Montero protection, imo. As Ross leaves within a year or so, Montero will be left behind, but getting a little older, Contreras could be ready by opening day 2017 to handle the staff, and the bat.
Eddy, another Cuban prospect, he “could” make a huge leap for 2016, but safer bet he comes up in 2017. If Almora doesn’t shine, Eddy will be hot on his heels.
Underwood could/should be a solid #3-4 starter pretty soon. 3rd rounder from 2012
Stinnett, same thing. He’s a second round pick we took after getting Schwarber, with another year in the minors, he could be a #4-5 type starter in a couple years.
Eloy is the Wild Card. HE was the #1 prospect in 2013, not Torres, he’s just been surpassed is all. Kid is 6-4 and built like a tank. Lesser Soler???? Still only 18-19, If he starts to put it together………

Of course, some of these guys could also become trade bait for what we want, when Theo sees that we need it. Be it this offseason, or the trade deadline, some of these guys are likely to be moved at some point. (same as a Baez, or Castro could be moved from the big league club at any moment as well)

Only guys we know are staying, for sure, for a long time, are Lester, Arrieta, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, and I think Soler. Montero, Castro, Baez, and Hammel could be around for another year (or two) but no guarantees. Fowler and Coghlan will depend on market, and if they want to stay here, or leave for more money elsewhere. Hendricks, Ramirez, Grimm, Strop, Rondon, and Travis Wood are arms that we likely hold onto a while longer, but same thing, no guarantees.

And as we have discussed, likely that Theo chases David Price and/or an equivalent free agent #3 Starter, and then possibility he makes a move for a 4th, like Tyson Ross from San Diego. (potential Castro or Baez landing spot)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom