Official 2023 San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread - Jung Hoo Lee signs with SF 6-years $113 Million

Farms are usually built with either crappy teams with high picks, trades of surplus show talent to replenish the farm

My issue with the peavy deal is that pitching isn't the issue. It's the bats...and I'm still at a loss of wtf to do with panda

Thats completely false. You can have low draft picks and still find players that will contribute. Check to see how many rounds there are in a MLB draft. Not to mention teams get international players like Puig and Abreu while we get Angel Villalona.

Thats completely false. You can have low draft picks and still find players that will contribute. Check to see how many rounds there are in a MLB draft. Not to mention teams get international players like Puig and Abreu while we get Angel Villalona.

Agreed. Look how many teams that seemingly have top 10 or even top 5 draft picks in the first round every year but more often than not; end up drafting a bunch of duds and still finish in last place.

The Cardinals for example, are always a playoff contending team and routinely have farm talent they can call up and easily let their impending free agents leave without even breaking a sweat.

The giants can hopefully grab one of the defectors. There are a few good ones left

Agree with stl and I'm fully aware of the seemingly thousands of rounds the mlb has in the draft...

I guess the reply was more how to replenish it real fast...and that's just not gonna happen...

heres the top 5 plus some extras since 2010 per sickels

1) Buster Posey, C, Grade A: No-brainer. All he needs is playing time.
2) Madison Bumgarner, LHP, Grade A-: Almost went with B+, but strikeout rates aren't everything. More concerned about dropping velocity. May still go with B+ eventually.
3) Thomas Neal, OF, Grade B: Solid all-around hitter, saw him in Arizona Fall League and he convinced me bat is for real.
4) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade B: I'm hesitant to give a grade this high to any high school pitcher without a pro track record, but I really like Wheeler.
5) Roger Kieschnick, OF, Grade B-: Love the power and he's not just a one-dimensional slugger, but the high strikeout rate and low walk rate is concerning. How will he transition to Double-A?

*19 was crawford

1) Brandon Belt, 1B, Grade A-: Totally legitimate in my opinion, and second-only to Eric Hosmer among first base prospects.
2) Gary Brown, OF, Grade B: I admit some trepidation here. I love the speed, athleticism, and defense, but I admit I'm enough of a stathead to be concerned about the extremely low walk rate in college. I'll project him as a regular with this rating, but the shape that regular status takes is still uncertain in my mind, if his offense will really be as good as people expect. We'll see.
3) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade B: Not a great season, but the strikeouts and grounders are promising and I'll cut him some grade slack for another year.
4) Francisco Peguero, OF, Grade B-: Hit .329 in the Cal League with 40 steals and good gap power. But he doesn't draw walks, and needs to be more efficient about stealing bases. If he doesn't hit .300+ at higher levels he'll have a problem, although his tools will get him to the majors and keep him there for some time.
5) Thomas Neal, OF, Grade B-: I know his season in the Eastern League may look a bit disappointing, but I think he could put up some huge numbers in the PCL in '11, and I still think he has a chance to be a non-star regular player.
kickham at 15

1) Gary Brown, OF, Grade B+: Future center fielder. Outstanding speed, doubles power with occasional home runs, not a big walk guy but makes contact and should continue to hit for a high average. Combined with strong defense, you have an impressive package of tools and skills.
2) Joe Panik, SS-2B, Grade B: I was very impressed with him in the Arizona Fall League. Line drive bat with gap power, good plate discipline, uses speed well on the bases, plays with fire. I think he can be an average defensive shortstop or above-average at second base. Nice tablesetter when combined with Brown at the top of the future Giants order.
3) Tommy Joseph, C, Grade B-: Borderline B: I like the way he improved his defense, also has standout power, hit 22 homers in High-A at age 19/20. Strike zone judgment remains poor and precludes higher grade, but he projects as a regular catcher if he can improve his approach.
4) Andrew Susac, C, Grade B-: Hasn't played yet, but based on what we saw in college, should be a steady defensive catcher with an above-average arm, producing power. We'll have to see if his pure hitting skills hold up.
5) Heath Hembree, RHP, Grade B-: Love the fastball, but slider, changeup ,and command are all works in progress. Potential to be a closer.
adri was moving up, sanchez at 10, crick 8

1) Kyle Crick, RHP, Grade B+: There are a few control issues to address, but I'm a big fan of his stuff, size, fresh arm, and San Francisco's track record of developing similar prospects.
2) Chris Stratton, RHP, Grade B+: He was one of my favorite college pitchers from the 2012 draft. I felt he was a real steal at 20th overall.
3) Clayton Blackburn, RHP, Grade B+: I don't understand the reluctance among prospect watchers to give this guy his due. Sure, he's physically mature and not projectable. But he already has good stuff, his command is outstanding, and he dominated Low-A one year out of high school.
4) Gary Brown, OF, Grade B: Borderline B-. For a guy who runs as well as he does, he sure gets caught stealing a lot. I think he's a better hitter than he showed last year, but not as good as his Cal League-inflated stats in '11. Glove and legs will get him to the majors even if his bat disappoints, perhaps long enough for him to make the necessary adjustments to stay in the lineup.
5) Joe Panik, SS, Grade B-: He wasn't terrific at San Jose and the grade drops one notch from last year's B, but I still like his instincts, makeup, contact skills, and chances to adapt at higher levels.
6) Heath Hembree, RHP, Grade B-: Command and injury issues hampered him in Triple-A, but he looked back to normal in the Arizona Fall League. Expect he can help in the bullpen in '13.
7) Mike Kickham, LHP, Grade B-: I've liked him since he was in college, nice power lefty arm. Command still needs some work, but I trust the Giants to develop him more than most teams.
8) Martin Agosta, RHP, Grade B-: Another power arm that I like a lot, this one from the 2012 draft. We need to see what he does in pro ball, so this grade could rise (or fall) once he gets settled in.
9) Andrew Susac, C, Grade B-: Borderline C+. Disappointing season in the Cal League and this grade may seem a notch high, but I think the tools are still in there and he hit quite well in August/September. Double-A will test his bat.
10) Francisco Peguero, OF, Grade C+: Tools are obvious, as are his very serious flaws. Even a marginal improvement in his plate discipline would take him a long way. Giants have to hope that he's a late bloomer with his skills. High risk property.

it hasnt been as bad as ppl think, save for gary

if you want to ssee do overs, calis redid 2008 here
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ask-ba-a-2008-draft-do-over/

So when does Sabean get the pink slip? This entire mess is his fault.
I dont know that he gets fired, but I wholeheartedly agree that this mess is his fault.  Did he make a great move in signing Tim Hudson?  Sure.  But (and I know I stated this in the thread earlier this season), the Giants had two glaring weaknesses last season......depth and offensive firepower.

It just blows my mind how you go through an entire season, and see that if one of your starters goes down that you are replacing him with a player that has no business in the Major Leagues, and basically decide not to address depth in the offseason.  Blows my mind. 

I dont think these were posted yet, but the Giants just opened up the Gotham Clubhouse behind the out of town scoreboard.  Gotta get in there somehow.

Looks pretty awesome.

Shocking no one

@957thegame: #SFGiants analyst Shawn Estes told us that Matt Cain is getting a second opinion on his elbow from Dr. James Andrews

I dont think these were posted yet, but the Giants just opened up the Gotham Clubhouse behind the out of town scoreboard.  Gotta get in there somehow.

Looks pretty awesome.
Bowling Alley as well
pimp.gif
Right.....but the bowling alley is located in the "Game Room" on the third base side of the stadium.  That has been open for months.  This is the Clubhouse....which just opened a few days ago.

Oh... Still looks amazing. Giants can basically print money with all the stuff they have at the ballpark.

Is AT&T Park paid off? I heard a few years ago that they were ahead of schedule to pay off the ballpark

Wow ishikawa really? Juan Perez who's worst than Gregor Blank0

This is officially my last straw with Brian sabean . I always backed him up because he got me two World Series rings in my lifetime.now I'm starting to believe he just got lucky winning those two that he got to prolong his tenure as Gm ... Bring up Gary brown even if it sounds like beating a dead horse he cannot possibly do any worst than blank0 & Perez ..

i knew cainer didnt just "lose it". tommy john soon. 
mean.gif

romo is likely dealing with something as well.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh Pirates Lineup
Harrison, 3B
Polanco, RF
McCutchen, CF
Walker, 2B
Martin, C
Davis, 1B
Snider, LF
Mercer, SS
Liriano, LHP

San Francisco Giants Lineup
Pence, RF
Blanco, CF
Posey, 1B
Sandoval, 3B
Morse, LF
Susac, C
Uggla, 2B
Crawford, SS
Hudson, RHP

Not that I amexpecting a lot, but am somewhat excited to see Susac get a full game.

1-3 with an RBI.

I haven't turned off a 2-0 game in the 2nd in a long time.

Tonight is that night as I have work I'd rather be doing.

I think this team severely overachieved up until last week, and we are seeing against top teams, we are no match for any of em. Obviously Pagan's injury has hindered this whole lineup which is unfortunate, Scutaro a non-factor has been disappointing, but this current roster has so many flaws it's amazing. And the rotation consists of a #1 and 4 #4 starters at best. Just won't hold up over the course of the season, and it is showing against the better teams. There's a long way to go, but I think we are in for an August that will be tough to watch.

Back
Top Bottom