Official Air Jordan 13 Retro Thread

It looks good to me, but wanted to get a second look to see if these are legit

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

Good timing to post this one since it's now officially the NBA All-Star Weekend beginning today. I already had the hat for a few years. Nice to finally get this jersey to match with these shoes that I got a year ago.
IMG_7658.JPG
IMG_7668.JPG

I admit I got the idea for the shoes and jersey from seeing him wear them in the 1998 NBA All-Star Game.
1708124857452.png

Back in June 98....twin and I were 12 going on 13 and had to beg our parents for these. By the time we finally convinced them, there was only one 10.5 or 11 left in the city...my brother got them and I got some Pro Strongs (which we both still have). I have the 2017 retro (came out my bday weekend no less), but it wasn't the same as the OG. Took me all this time to find an original pair for a reasonable price ($285 for those wondering)...which I don't even intend to wear. It's just the nostalgia of finally owning it that makes me happy.

A reglue would be necessary obviously if I do, but the hologram on the left shoe is already cracking too. I don't mind the money spent to just stare at em. That OG red has never been matched just right

IMG_8072.jpeg

Back in June 98....twin and I were 12 going on 13 and had to beg our parents for these. By the time we finally convinced them, there was only one 10.5 or 11 left in the city...my brother got them and I got some Pro Strongs (which we both still have). I have the 2017 retro (came out my bday weekend no less), but it wasn't the same as the OG. Took me all this time to find an original pair for a reasonable price ($285 for those wondering)...which I don't even intend to wear. It's just the nostalgia of finally owning it that makes me happy.

A reglue would be necessary obviously if I do, but the hologram on the left shoe is already cracking too. I don't mind the money spent to just stare at em. That OG red has never been matched just right

IMG_8072.jpeg
Awesome read. Congrats.

They need to put the 13s in the vault until they can fix this. 🤮
IMG_8545.jpeg

Jordan Brand takes pride in butchering their own classic models.. they know you’ll buy these regardless.

I still believe this is a years-long holdover result of the days when everyone and their mother moaned nonstop about creasing.

Did the OGs and early retro 13s crease that bad in the toebox?

Yes, relatively speaking. They were actual soft leather. Back in the aughts, there was an era on here and elsewhere where people b'tched incessantly about shoes creasing. And then we started getting retros with these super stiff toe boxes. Reminds me of all the talk about crumbled midsoles (remember, this was in the early and mid 2000s, where a lot of OG pairs weren't yet THAT super old) and people moaning they couldn't wear their OGs anymore. And then Nike started using closed-cell midsoles to make them last a lot longer but at the expense of comfort. These types of things are, now that I look back on it, probably when we can say retro Jordans became lifestyle shoes and not shoes you really wanted to play in. Not all of them, obviously, but a lot of them.

Yes, relatively speaking. They were actual soft leather. Back in the aughts, there was an era on here and elsewhere where people b'tched incessantly about shoes creasing. And then we started getting retros with these super stiff toe boxes. Reminds me of all the talk about crumbled midsoles (remember, this was in the early and mid 2000s, where a lot of OG pairs weren't yet THAT super old) and people moaning they couldn't wear their OGs anymore. And then Nike started using closed-cell midsoles to make them last a lot longer but at the expense of comfort. These types of things are, now that I look back on it, probably when we can say retro Jordans became lifestyle shoes and not shoes you really wanted to play in. Not all of them, obviously, but a lot of them.
Didn't they start shrinking cushioning though? I guess they figured out lifestyle shoes could stand to be less comfortable.

Pretty stupid that they remade the AJ 1s as Zoom CMFTs instead of just improving the OG and 85s models internally to simply make them more comfortable to begin with. They added full length air to AJ2 retros so it's not like they've never done this before either.

Didn't they start shrinking cushioning though? I guess they figured out lifestyle shoes could stand to be less comfortable.

Pretty stupid that they remade the AJ 1s as Zoom CMFTs instead of just improving the OG and 85s models internally to simply make them more comfortable to begin with. They added full length air to AJ2 retros so it's not like they've never done this before either.

Seems like they definitely screwed with the Air bags and even removed some of them from certain shoes, but if we're talking about, say, IIIs and IVs, so many of those retros have rock-hard midsoles compared to the OG spec. Lately they seem to have begun using a softer version, though. The midsoles on my Desert Elephant IIIs are surprisingly soft, and the same goes for my reimagined black/red IVs.

Back
Top Bottom