Official Air Max 97 Thread

It's mainly under the balls of my feet. Just feels like theres a hard section of the sole with no give whatsoever.

I think people are getting so used to the new tech out there like boost, ultra, free that everything else feels uncomfortable or not on par to them.

I think people are getting so used to the new tech out there like boost, ultra, free that everything else feels uncomfortable or not on par to them.
Im not a comfort snob in the slightest, I wear Foams most of the time... But I can definitely feel a hard section that's uncomfortable. My huaraches and my AM90s feel great compared to these.

But the Huarache is a 27-year-old sneaker!

Yep, had them in grade school when they came out. They are one of the rare shoes comfort wise where recent technology is more similar to it than other sneakers from that era.

Technology always evolves and sneakers made decades ago can't really match the performance of the newer technologies out. This isn't just limited to Boost which is now what air was decades back. Granted I'd say boost is more lifestyle/casual, I know runners who won't touch them due to their lack of stability, but 90% or more of sneakers aren't worn for the performance they were designed for, ex. Jordans worn casually vs. on the court.

To not compare every available option comfort, performance or whatever measure doesn't make much sense. The question was asked how comfortable? Easiest thing to do is compare it to sneakers out that anyone can buy.

Last edited:

i personally dont think there is a connection between the 97s and the cleats

and btw why do you wanna know that ?? im just curious tho
Thanks. I was just wondering. The first thing that came to my head was that specific pair of Mercurials when I saw those 97s. I thought there might have been some connection considering there was only like 1 year of difference between releases. 

Thanks. I was just wondering. The first thing that came to my head was that specific pair of Mercurials when I saw those 97s. I thought there might have been some connection considering there was only like 1 year of difference between releases. 
the cleats were based by the colors from the national brazilian football jersey and the shorts

the cleats were based by the colors from the national brazilian football jersey and the shorts
You're right. As far as the cleats go, I know they're inspired by the national team colors. I just didn't know the specific release date for that 97. Either way, if it's coming out 
smokin.gif

You're right. As far as the cleats go, I know they're inspired by the national team colors. I just didn't know the specific release date for that 97. Either way, if it's coming out 
smokin.gif
at the moment the release date for the retro atlantic blues is still unknown, hopefully we will hear more about the exact release date soon and the most important thing is that they wont get hyped up by the blogs, social media etc etc, because i hope to see them in real life before i gonna cop them

Im not a comfort snob in the slightest, I wear Foams most of the time... But I can definitely feel a hard section that's uncomfortable. My huaraches and my AM90s feel great compared to these.
Time fades memory but these AM97s feel exactly as I remember every pair I ever had did. Max air has never felt bouncy to me, either originally back in the day or now. (Haven't tried the modern max 360 etc.) I prefer zoom in just about everything given a choice, but I've run through multiple pairs of 97s over all these years and wore this latest pair the past two days. I would never call them uncomfortable.  

Time fades memory but these AM97s feel exactly as I remember every pair I ever had did. Max air has never felt bouncy to me, either originally back in the day or now. (Haven't tried the modern max 360 etc.) I prefer zoom in just about everything given a choice, but I've run through multiple pairs of 97s over all these years and wore this latest pair the past two days. I would never call them uncomfortable.  
Last pair I wore was the FNL anniversarys over 10 years ago so maybe I just dont remember, but these will not be worn for extended periods of time.

I'll be honest, the reason that most of these sneakers are no longer comfortable doesn't have anything to do with us being

I'd have to disagree with that. The reason that these shoes feel uncomfortable is a mixed bag. I noticed around 2004/05 was the downhill spiral for quality and it began with these new updated environmentally friendly air units. As time has passed the craftsmanship on these shoes has gone down the tube as well.

It is rare these days for me to get a retro that is out of the box comfortable with no defects. Just about every single release requires at minimum going through 4 pairs to find a shoe thats tolerable and some shoes are all together just completely bad. This just wasn't the case in the early 2000's and before, so my theory is that it must have to do with a significant increase in production coupled with poor quality control at the factory and changes in technology.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, the reason that most of these sneakers are no longer comfortable doesn't have anything to do with us being
I'd have to disagree with that. The reason that these shoes feel uncomfortable is a mixed bag. I noticed around 2004/05 was the downhill spiral for quality and it began with these new updated environmentally friendly air units. As time has passed the craftsmanship on these shoes has gone down the tube as well.

It is rare these days for me to get a retro that is out of the box comfortable with no defects. Just about every single release requires at minimum going through 4 pairs to find a shoe thats tolerable and some shoes are all together just completely bad. This just wasn't the case in the early 2000's and before, so my theory is that it must have to do with a significant increase in production coupled with poor quality control at the factory and changes in technology.

Totally agree. You're not going to get quality and comfort from before the mid 2000's anymore.
The comparison spectrum is so broad these days that let's say as an example pre 2005 air maxes were like top 5 in of all sneakers in comfort level now they're not even top 10 or even 20. The bar has been raised hence why nike wants to throw ultra soles or Lunar everything.
In comparison to recent releases my pair feels pretty good. You are right with any release these days you have to go thru a couple pairs to get the best one

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom