Official AUTHENTIC NBA JERSEY Post - Bringin Back the JERSEY ERA... (Info/Guide = Page 1)

Ebay is full of fakes guys. And /or customs. Be careful out there. I've been buying jerseys since 98. My first was a Jason Williams "authentic" white kings 55 starter around 1999. The KINGS font was a nice double/triple stiching. The numbers were not double or triple stitched. As years went by, it was obvious that it was a well done custom. Wrinkling and or slight color issues were there.

Looking back on ebay this past month, I'm seeing the same sort of White Kings Authentic Jwill #55 "selling" for upwards of $600. I didn't pay close to that for what I thought was an authentic. Some of what I see currently in 2016 is SICKENING. Even some black 'authentics' look off.

From my knowledge of going to many kings away games from 99 to 03, the black authentic was truly the only retail version that was sold (puma or starter). Not to gloat, but I was the only dude wearing a white "authentic" for kings@spurs games for years. I didnt flaunt it or brag. I was essentially wearing a near fake/custom. But years later, I did realize, it was merely a single stictched "custom". An authentic blank if you will. For the ones on ebay, you can tell the number and quality difference right away. Everything else for a white base, including what I had, was a custom. I have seen some pretty ugly lettered 5s on some ebay sales. It's disheartening.

There were many nike swingmans over the years. I follow this thread like crazy. For awhile I had the likes of :

White Wally Szczerbiak Twolves authentic
Navy Wally Szczerbiak Goodwill Games champion Authentic
White Lebron James 03-04 Pro Cut Cavs +2 or +4
Tim Duncan Nike dri fit Procut (first or second year of their dri fit )
Sand Knit D. Robinson

Just be careful. After dropping 2 bills for the Jwill in 99 and realizing it was merely a custom, I was sort of okay with it. Looking on ebay and such, bidding is a touch crazy for the same sort of "custom:.

Full disclosure: haven't really bought since 2010. More of a lurker/surveyor. On a whim, I checked ebay for Jason Williams AUthentic kings jerseys and was really quite saddened by what I saw.

Edit: corrected my error on champion and the sand knit miscue. It was in fact a starter jersey. And I used to have a old.sand knit from 1990 of robinson. Good times

Last edited:
Corrected my post. Sand Knit David Robinson :D

With all these corrections, I don''t appear to know what I'm talking about :tongue:.

Correction
Starter jersey on the Jwill,

Long day.

KINGS was sewn on perfectly. Double stitched to perfection. There has never been one I have seen online since then (even the one I had) that looked to come from the factory. From either double stitching. To correct layering, material usage, and color, so many times you can call out a custom with ease.

Just a cautionary tale guys. Watch what you buy, and what people say is "authentic". Mine wasn't blatantly "custom". But the ones I've seen that say they have been sold recently for $300-$600 are obvious customs.

The colors on the #s don't match with the KINGS. The width of the black and silver don't match the KINGS. Some customs are better than others. But a true HOME Jason Williams, from what I have seen over so many years, are 96% customs. Don't drop $500 bones for one that is obviously custom.

The Black Starter or black puma has perfect cut and angles for a reason. I don't think many customized to that degree of perfection. That should be your base jersey as far what the #55s should look like.

I can get technical with some photos if you guys would like.

Unless I am totally wrong about the #s not needing to be double stitched for that era. The #s for the most part had a slight sense of being wrinkled and of that "fake" nature on my "custom". Something not really seen on normal authentics of that era. A lot even had some glimmer or sheen to the custom #s.

My post is more of a cautionary tale of, even if a jersey says its from 1998-2002, really look at what you are buying.

If someone legitimately dropped $500 for a Jwill custom. That's not cool. ##s do tell a lot, and double stitching may not be the end all. But if something looks remotely off, odds are, somethings up. Be careful out there

Last edited:
What's the problem with a custom tho? As long as the jersey is authentic and the customization is accurate? Every jersey is essentially a custom

Anyone know if this can be permanently repaired? Can Cosby in NYC do it? It basically results from the back thread snapping thus causing stitches to come loose.

Last edited:
What's the problem with a custom tho? As long as the jersey is authentic and the customization is accurate? Every jersey is essentially a custom

The ones I'm seeing going for $500 to $600 on ebay are far less authentic than even the ones that were customized closer to 2000. Just from a look perspective alone, it's off.

Drop $500 if you want on a "rare gem". But it's not exactly what they are selling it as

A bad custom is basically a fake as far as Im concerned

Real authentic front Numbering
s-l500.jpg

It's centered between the K and the S. The silver outline stictching matches up nicely. The bottom of the five has quite the opening.

I think this custom had the same sized numbering as the back.
s-l1600.jpg

Silver doesn't match at all.

But let's let someone drop $300+ bones for a "custom". 5s are way off too. Authentic blanks with crappy numbering is pretty suspect imho.

There's a $300 "swingman" on ebay that looks to be a Puma authentic. Wrinkly lettering. The boldness around the 5 in purple is off as well. Suspect.

I'm trying to help yall out. Don't drop big money on "customs" that are easy to find imperfections on.

Last edited:
Both jerseys you posted are authentic - one is just done accurately by the original manufacturer, and the other is done horribly by a third party.

Original manufacturers can produce jerseys with imperfections and incorrections too (Champion Spurs without the white stripes down the side, rounded collar Champion Pacers, Champion Laker jerseys number font). Doesn't mean they're not authentic.

As long as the unaltered base of the jersey is legit, the jersey is legit, no matter how bad the customization may be.

How much people want to pay for an authentic but horribly customized jersey is another story.

True. For a couple years, it seems the authentic retail version of the Kings Jwill didn't quite match up to the game used version either. Border thickness around numbers was a big one. So even the authentic version was off. It actually makes some of the real authentics look fake and other customs look like fakes because they aren't looking like "authentics" even though they may be more accurate.

The black one I posted had a colored number thickness that is accurate to the kings logo above it, but that's not always accurate to game used conditions .

It's confusing lol. I guess buy what you deem to be worth it.

Can anyone describe sizing on starter/champion authentics I wear a 52 in Mitchell and Ness? How's the difference between them?

Last edited:
Yes I do. lol. Assuming you are that seller from Antioch, thanks bro for this dope piece! 
happy.gif
  (Moderator, delete this)

Last edited:
trash unveiling by a trash team.

I wasn't for ads from the start and this just looks stupid.

The only positive is that it appears to be stitched on, so if I was to ever get a jersey i'd have that thing removed quickly

Last edited:
Anyone know if this can be permanently repaired? Can Cosby in NYC do it? It basically results from the back thread snapping thus causing stitches to come loose.

yeah that should be a pretty easy fix but your numbers will have to be removed and re-sewn which could leave holes in the twill from the previous sewing also the zigzag stitches probably wont be consistent with the original stitching

trash unveiling by a trash team.

I wasn't for ads from the start and this just looks stupid.

The only positive is that it appears to be stitched on, so if I was to ever get a jersey i'd have that thing removed quickly

Ads aren't coming on retail authentics, probably not swingmans either

So I wouldn't sweat it

So I wouldn't sweat it
Actually it's up to the team's discretion. It was in the announcement that the ad will be on all Sixers jerseys sold through the team store.

I know Im in the Vast Majority here, but I kind of Dig the Ads on the jerseys... Executed right and with cool sponors, I'm in. With that being said, a tiny stubhub patch on the shoulder has me second guessing myself.

So I wouldn't sweat it
Actually it's up to the team's discretion. It was in the announcement that the ad will be on all Sixers jerseys sold through the team store.

Yea the team store, I think I even mentioned that weeks or months ago that some would do that especially since a lot of team stores customize and fill orders and use blanks so they would make them just like the players

What I meant was basically from the factory and through retail stores.

Team store can do what they want as we have seen all through the years

Can anyone tell me if the Jordan 85-86  63 point Mitchell and ness is accurate to the one Jordan wore at that time? Also has anyone else experienced the Mitchell and ness warmup jackets fitting really small???? Thanks in advance

Yea the team store, I think I even mentioned that weeks or months ago that some would do that especially since a lot of team stores customize and fill orders and use blanks so they would make them just like the players

What I meant was basically from the factory and through retail stores.

Team store can do what they want as we have seen all through the years

That first season will be just the team store, but I'm 95% sure that second or third season, once fans are used to the ads, the ads will be on every jersey sold from replica to authentic. Just too much money involved for it not to happen. Now as a fan of soccer, I'm used to the ads. They don't bother me. Just my own speculation, but I'd expect all jerseys sold to have ads after a couple seasons.

Last edited:
Can anyone jump in and help? I saw this Brent Barry Clippers jersey and I was confused because he left the Clippers in early 1998, however the Clippers didn't release these jerseys until the 2000 season. Was this customized?

I know Im in the Vast Majority here, but I kind of Dig the Ads on the jerseys... Executed right and with cool sponors, I'm in. With that being said, a tiny stubhub patch on the shoulder has me second guessing myself.
Which sponsors would you consider as cool? I honestly can't think of any lol

Yes that barry is customized.

Wally im with you, I wouldnt pay nearly as much for customized jerseys compared to the og, if there was an og available

Back
Top Bottom