~Official Big Sean Thread~ Vol. "Dark Sky Paradise" The Album available now

Did DSP meet your expectations

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still think all music can be compared on the level of "What do you like listening to more"

I like listening to this Sean Album over the Cole Album

I would prefer to listen to Born Sinner over Hall of Fame

Etc etc etc.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges man.

They're in two entirely different lanes.

Compare Sean to Drake, they're in similar lanes with music for the radio, bangers, catchy hooks, fancy producers, occasional meaningful songs and good messages etc.

Cole has done a little of those things throughout his career but it's obvious with FHD he ain't going in that direction anhmore.

Sean and Drake still are, it's what they're better at. As a Cole fan I can admit when it comes to making radio "hits" or catchy "singles" he isn't even in the same league as Sean or Drake. But when it comes to rap from the soul and just pure lyricism and self expression Cole out does both of them.

Apples and oRanges. They're both GREAT at what they do, but they're not comparable.

Cole and Kendrick are trying to do something different.
Drake and Sean are trying to do something different.

They're all trying to win at the end of the day and they're all the best rappers in the game, but their recent albums obviously go in two complete opposite directions.

Good post.

Yeah I gotcha.

I'm with you on that, that kinda comparison is natural and obviously normal.

What I meant was saying "this album is better than that album after listening to them for 10 minutes" is not taking a lot of things into Account.

I know its all technically in the hip hop genre. But they're still diff types of music. Different intentions. Different purposes. Same big picture goals but different approaches.

With all that said, I'm proud of Sean. This Effort far exceeds FF and HOF.

3rd times def a charm. Much better overall quality music. Much more heart. It's still not where I think he can be but that's just me being a big fan and having bigger expectations in his potential.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with DSP. He put out a much better overall album than he has in the past.

Proud of how far Sean has come

Last edited:
I think Big Sean is closer to Cole and Kendrick than what most would give him credit for.

For one, I think from a pure technical standpoint, sean can bar up with them. He can rap just as well as Kendrick and I feel like from the flow schemes, the technique, the changes in pace, his change of inflections, etc. he's actually a better rapper than Cole to me. And I love cole man, Loosing my balance was one of my theme songs senior year of high school.

Sean has records like One man can change the world, Nothing is Stopping you, world ablaze, Fire, All Figured out, etc. all littered throughout his catalog that are actually saying something. Their speaking to your soul just like Cole does. They just have a more radio friendly feel to them, and this is partly why I feel sean gets slighted. He has hella depth in the music man. And that's in combination to the hits and radio records that we know he can make.

Glad that was posted above because off two runs of Sean I dont see how you can compare the two...

Like I said Sean got cuts on here but I didnt hear not a one record that i connected with on this album like Cole's project, and thats ok.

Now is it cuts I would run in my car over Cole's, absolutely.

Shoe you're quick to defend Sean as if I came after him.

Are you forgetting I'm the OP of the original Big Sean thread, that was being used during his last album and Detroit mixtape?

I'm obviously a big fan.
Cole and Sean are my favorite rappers.

Kendrick and Drake are next, but with some distance.

I've just been so loyal to Sean and Cole since they started I have a special part in my heart as a fan for both of their music. Desire Want and Need is my favorite Sean song of all time and it was on his first tape, that's what made me a fan.

I never came in here saying he sucks :lol:
I didn't even say he can't produce soulful or meaningful music. I never said he can't rap as good as them.

I said they have two different lanes. They all do something better than each other. Cole puts a lot more passion and soul in his music because he actually has a hand in making it all, his approach is more personal. He wants full control of it all. But it doesn't mean Sean has no passion or heart in his music. His passion and his bars are what made me a fan. I know he's a great rapper, I've made that clear for years on NT :lol:

But IMHO, Cole does the passionate soulful personal touch better on a CONSISTENT basis, and Sean does the catchy radio hit music better on a CONSISTENT basis.

You don't need to list songs, I know the whole catalog like the back of my hand. If we compare song by song of course we can hand pick some Sean songs that were individually more meaningful and soulful than some of Coles individual songs. And we can do the reverse, hand pick Power Trip from Cole as a better single than lets say... beware? It was, both in sales and critical reception.

But on a consistent basis, Sean puts out catchier hits. And on a consistent basis, Cole puts out more relatable verses.

It's not a diss to either, it's complimentary.
They're both my favorite rappers, but I'm objective.

Some of Coles album tracks have been a major snooze fest, I can OBJECTIVELY say that. So he's not been the best at making catchy, exciting tracks consistently. But at the same time some of Sean's meaningful songs have been poorly executed. Ashley had meaningful bars but it was put on a generic beat with no soul to it, so it wasn't cohesive (I know I know, you're going to say Ashley was perfect... I get it, you don't think he does any wrong as an artist :lol: ).

But my point is, overall on a consistent basis they have both had strong points and weak points CONSISTENTLY as artists. They're OBVIOUSLY both improving their weaknesses man. Both of their 3rd albums finally dilivered what we thought they could deliver. They're finally figuring it all out.

I'm proud of both of them.

But just try not to look at them with tunnel vission. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Be honest and objective. Some things each rapper does than the other, none of them are perfect at everything.

Sean isn't better at everything.
Cole isn't better at everything.
Drake isn't better at everything.

They all have pros and cons, and I liSt them honestly. I wish some more people on NT would too more often

Last edited:
I knew I heard that Outro beat before.
laugh.gif
smh i really hate when producers do that

Party did his thing on that deserve it :pimp:

Man the production on here is flamessssssss.

This is my project of the year so far

Always thought Big Sean could rap be could never get into his music... This album has changed that. This joint is Dope! Props to him. :pimp:

"Platinum and Wood" is my favorite track. Wish it was longer or more tracks sounded like that.

Sean did a nice job on this album :pimp:

His best work so far :pimp:

IMO Dark Sky Paradise>Finally Famous> HOF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom