Official Bill Simmons Thread (Thread Will Be Updated on LAST Page)

Not the biggest fan of his podcasts (his voice is somewhat annoying and they're often longer than they need to be), but his columns, books, and tweets are always on point. He seems to be buying more and more into his own hype, which I think affects his writing negatively. He keeps talking about how he jinxed a particular team, or how he single-handedly motivated a certain player, and it sort of makes him look like a douche.

Not sure why I started that rant, I'm a fan of his.

I feel the same way, he clearly knows his stuff and I like his writing half the time, but he's full of himself and way too pompous for me to want to listen to him for hours on end or routinely read his stuff.

Funny, I just started reading The Book of Basketball last night.

I'm less than four chapters in and his shots at Wilt Chamberlain and Vince Carter are already getting old.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Not the biggest fan of his podcasts (his voice is somewhat annoying and they're often longer than they need to be), but his columns, books, and tweets are always on point. He seems to be buying more and more into his own hype, which I think affects his writing negatively. He keeps talking about how he jinxed a particular team, or how he single-handedly motivated a certain player, and it sort of makes him look like a douche.

Not sure why I started that rant, I'm a fan of his.
I don't think this at all. He's way too smart and self-aware. It's all tongue-in-cheek.

I'm a Simmons fan, but sometimes he acts like he knows every goddamn thing there is to know.

Also, anyone who can make an hour-long Yankees-Red Sox discussion interesting and entertaining (his Jack-O podcasts) is fine by me.

I swear I've listened to every single one. I love them. I've listened to Whitlock and The Wire probably 3 times. Best podcast on the Internet IMO because of the mix of people he gets on. I mean he has Jon Hamm one day, Jared Dudley the next, and Chuck Klosterman to finish the week. Klosterman podcasts are MUST listens for anybody.

Dude is th eman but his Hatred for all things Kobe and Laker related is just dumb. I understand it but it's annoying. Dude never gives credit when it's due if it involves a team or player that he dislikes (Yanks, Lakers, Colts). With that said, it is a lifesaver on those long, boring subway rides to work.

His voice really prevents me from listening to his podcasts.

Which sucks because I'm a Klosterman fan and often want to listen to his guests but I wish I could block him out.

I like his stuff.  Hes got interesting opinions.

The only podcasts I dont listen to are the ones about shows ive never seen.  (All the HBO shows, Lost, etc.)

The Klosterman and Dave Jacoby ones are my favorites. 

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I feel the same way, he clearly knows his stuff and I like his writing half the time, but he's full of himself and way too pompous for me to want to listen to him for hours on end or routinely read his stuff.
Clearly knows his stuff? He routinely proposes trades that don't work under the salary cap and doesn't cover college sports or the National League. It's also frustrating to listen to someone like Klosterman bring up an interesting issue or theory only to have him skirt the issue completely. But at least he is entertaining.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Clearly knows his stuff? He routinely proposes trades that don't work under the salary cap and doesn't cover college sports or the National League. It's also frustrating to listen to someone like Klosterman bring up an interesting issue or theory only to have him skirt the issue completely. But at least he is entertaining.
I don't want him covering sports he doesn't know or doesn't care about. He's already hard enough to listen to on the NFL and MLB (outside of Sox-Yanks). And in regards to the trades, he's almost always spot-on, and even admits when he screws up.

Thats because he doesnt follow college basketball or the National League much.... therefore he knows HIS stuff, not everything.

Ive never heard him skirt around something Chuck said.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Thats because he doesnt follow college basketball or the National League much.... therefore he knows HIS stuff, not everything.

Yup, these are his readers.

laugh.gif

So you can defend your initial statement or just make a funny remark and avoid it.

Figures.
smh.gif

I typically enjoy his podcasts, but there's usually some skip-worthy segments thrown in. As someone earlier said, his Chuck Klosterman guest podcasts are must-listens. The other guy reality expert guy (Jacoby?) is a must listen too, especially when Jersey Shore is the topic.

Bumping for today's posting...he likens Kobe to 2pac's "Hit em up" end verse after Kobe won his latest ring putting him over Shaq. It reminded me of the Dennis Scott post.

Back
Top Bottom