Official Boston Celtics Offseason Thread vol. Courtney Lee sign-and-trade for a bum

Update: @GwashNBAGlobe: NBA source confirms @spearsNBAYahooreport that JaJuan Johnson headed to #rockets  in sign-and-trade for Courtney Lee
Offseason so far: Get rid of JaJuan Johnson's bum @#$ for Courtney Lee, let grandpa Ray go to the Cheats, re-sign KG and Bass, draft Sullinger, Melo, and Kris Joseph, re-sign Jeff Green, and Wilcox.

Last edited:
According to Flip, KG will be back. I hope he's right.
[h1][/h1]http:// http://[h3][/h3]
[h3]Flip Saunders "positive" KG will re-sign with the Celtics[/h3]

Star Tribune
One reason Rivers brought in Saunders was his great relationship with Kevin Garnett. And Saunders said that KG played like he did with the Wolves in 2003-04, when he was named league MVP.

"I remember when we drafted KG [in 1995], we said to him his first year, we played him as a small forward and I told him you're going to be an All-Pro player as a power forward but you're probably going to end your career as a center," Saunders said. "And with Garnett playing center, the Celtics after the All-Star break had the third-best record in the NBA."

Garnett really showed great strength at center in the postseason, averaging 19.2 points -- his highest playoff average since 2007-08 -- and 10.3 rebounds per game.

Saunders is positive Garnett, who is a free agent, will sign for another year with the Celtics, who have some rebuilding to do.

"Positive" is a pretty strong word, but Saunders does know KG and according to the Str Tribune interview Saunders was "basically in on every team meeting, every players meeting, every coaches meeting (and in the) the locker room" with the Celtics, so his opinion does count. So in case you're keeping count, tons of teams want KG, but so far the people that have spoken to him have either said he's coming back to the Celtics or retiring. I think Saunders choice of words might have been a little too "positive" (No pun intended. Seriously.), but they are a good sign no doubt.
http://

The other interesting part about Saunders' KG quotes is the section on Garnett's position maturation. Unfortunately the 6'12" Garnett reportedly doesn't feel the same way. I guess Danny can always tell KG he'll be a forward again, sign another O'Neal to play center and when said O'Neal busts an "O'Neal" and gets injured, KG will be forced to play center again. Because the fact is KG is still a dominant player when he plays center. Not so much anymore at power forward. Unfortunately his pride in his "craft," as KG refers to it won't let him realize this.

Courtesy CelticsLife.com

I really hope KG comes back and we can pick up a legit big this off-season. We can still be competitive in the East next year for sure. Hibbert would be nice.

Yes, I think he will come back and he knows he have a shot to compete still.

Ainge will have to make some sort of move, (Hibbert would be huge).

Gotta expect Ray to be gone, but Avery Bradley should become a key guy for us.

Will be an interesting off-season.

I agree about Hibbert, would be a great addition. I am also seeing Asik's name pop up even though he sucks at a few things. I also would like to re-sign Bass if possible, but as a backup, he shouldn't start. Forget Ray, use that money on someone who doesn't play matador defense.

Sign Ray! Can't find Hall of Fame shooters like that nowadays!

Plus, he'll be 100% with the surgery done this summer.

Originally Posted by True Blues

The biggest concern for me is Green.

It sounds like, given that the C's pulled his conditional offer, he is a) going to test free-agency and b) looking for a big contract.

It would be a real shame if Ainge gave up Perk-- one of my favorite Celtics-- for essentially nothing.
was about to say green was going to be the key for them.  have a feeling they sign him.  just not sure if he is a top tier type guy.  at least he can help give them minutes and allow the vets to rest

I mean Green is good, but overall he's been a disappointment. I would like him back because he is versatile.

But like with Ray Allen, let someone else overpay for them. if we get a good price, bring em back.

Ainge has to have insomnia because of the Perk trade. He literally gave Perk to OKC for nothing in return. Absolutely nothing to show for that trade. Our record since getting rid of him is pretty mediocre, sans the 2nd half of the season when KG was the C.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Sign Ray! Can't find Hall of Fame shooters like that nowadays!

Plus, he'll be 100% with the surgery done this summer.
he wants big money..i dont think its gonna happen..

he wasnt very good this year....we may be better off letting him go...

we could do pretty well with our back-to-back picks in the draft, there are a number of players that could fall into our lap.

My ideal picks:

Terrence Jones
Fab Melo
Perry Jones III
Tyler Zeller
Quincy Miller

after that, yes we should try for Hibbert. If that fails dare I say we should try to trade for Dwight Howard.

Resign KG, Bass,Stiemsma and Green Let Ray walk.

It would be great if we would be able to get Hibbert from Indiana, but I think that Indiana would would probably match any offer made to him. 
The next best C to go after would be Kaman, IMHO. Asik would also be a good option, but other teams would probably offer more money, better let the other teams overpay for him.

The main key would be re-signing KG, If we can also retain Ray, that would be great but getting Ray back is unlikely. Hope that KG's asking price isn't too high so that we can get more help for the team.

What do you guys think about trying to acquire Pau Gasol? Say trade for Gasol for Jeff Green and Bass via sign and trade, or any combination of Green, Bass, JJJ, Moore or the 21st and 22nd pick. (Lakers probably won't help us with this one though)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Gasol's contract come off the books the same year as Pierce's contract. I think Gasol and KG will compliment one another's game 2 seven footers, Gasol can be in the low post and play C , while KG can play PF and shoot jumpers.

That would leave us with a starting line-up of 

PG Rondo

SG Bradley

SF Pierce

PF Garnett

C Gasol

Bench 

Ray (if he re-signs)

Stiemsma

Pietrus (with a reasonable contract)

draft opinions?

Wish they would've selected PJ III instead of Melo, Joseph in the second round seems to have some value.

I'm more upset with the Sullinger pick than Melo. Sullinger is undersized, lazy, and doesn't have a jumper.

Melo atleast is a legit 7 footer with some althleticism. Only thing that worries me is always playing a zone defense at Syracuse, however his help defense is probably above average because of this.

I like Sullinger though, he is a hell of a rebounder and I look at how Kevin Love thinned out, expanded his range and became a lot better. I really think you guys will like him when he's grabbing boards and knocking down 15 foot jumpers.

Fab is a headcase, but when he puts forth the effort. He could be an above average center.

Kevin Garnett.  My favorite player still in the league playing for couple more years
pimp.gif

Looks like we signed Jet, Jason Terry to a 3-year deal. I'll post an article when it's finalized.

I like the Terry signing, wont hurt to have a scorer off the bench, something that the C's consistently lacked last season.

What's the deal with Pietrus? He a FA or locked in for another year?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I like the Terry signing, wont hurt to have a scorer off the bench, something that the C's consistently lacked last season.

What's the deal with Pietrus? He a FA or locked in for another year?
Pietrus is a UFA. Should be re-signed IMO, even with the injury he came up big in the playoffs.

Pietrus is hit or miss. Shades of Tony Allen and his aversion to wide-open layups.

Still, I like him, but he'll be relied on a lot more without Ray around, which scares me.

Terry is a great call for at least one year, but he's not exactly helping with the youth movement.

Man I hope y'all can resign Allen, even with the acquisition of Terry....I just don't wanna see him go to Miami...

Back
Top Bottom