***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Who's relevant in today's rap game? Some guys, please enlighten me.

Some guys, say oh "1990, 2000, etc. etc." ain't relevant. THEN why do some of these dudes still sample old rappers, and old songs?

Like, some guys really be picking and choosing what to throw in the pot, and what to leave out.

Future/Migos = Junky Trap
TI, Jeezy, earlier Gucci, OJ The Juiceman, YoungBloodz, etc. where real trap.

First "Trap" era was 1999-2009

This new era of trap is a mixmosh of junky and scammer tunes, it ain't trap. Ish needs a new category because it's a disgrace.

Junky Jams

Who's relevant in today's rap game? Some guys, please enlighten me.

Some guys, say oh "1990, 2000, etc. etc." ain't relevant. THEN why do some of these dudes still sample old rappers, and old songs?

Like, some guys really be picking and choosing what to throw in the pot, and what to leave out.

Future/Migos = Junky Trap
TI, Jeezy, earlier Gucci, OJ The Juiceman, YoungBloodz, etc. where real trap.

First "Trap" era was 1999-2009

This new era of trap is a mixmosh of junky and scammer tunes, it ain't trap. Ish needs a new category because it's a disgrace.

Junky Jams

:pimp: :lol: my ***** grimey back

Last edited:
No purple haze slander will be tolerated. Hov hating on it was the only reason it got pushed back...and didn't go like 5x platinum.

That's Cam's Magnum Opus. One of the best albums of the 2000's IMO.

Migos best thing out of Atlanta and they can't even get they album put out. "Relevancy" for you.

albums are dead post-streaming

what is the difference between an album and a mixtape once neither are available for retail (i.e. Gucci's last project that came out a few days ago)

the record industry has failed to accept the death of the retail album once they started being available for free + mixtapes were free albums

i want them to go ahead and just start releasing streaming numbers across Apple Music, Spotify, TIDAL, Soundcloud, Youtube and assorted mixtape apps because that honestly will give you the best picture of who's relevant

Last edited:
albums are dead post-streaming

what is the difference between an album and a mixtape once neither are available for retail (i.e. Gucci's last project that came out a few days ago)

the record industry has failed to accept the death of the retail album once they started being available for free + mixtapes were free albums

i want them to go ahead and just start releasing streaming numbers across Apple Music, Spotify, TIDAL, Soundcloud, Youtube and assorted mixtape apps because that honestly will give you the best picture of who's relevant

Tell Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Kanye, and Jay that albums are dead.

No purple haze slander will be tolerated. Hov hating on it was the only reason it got pushed back...and didn't go like 5x platinum.

That's Cam's Magnum Opus. One of the best albums of the 2000's IMO.

Purple Haze not better than Come Home with Me, we can fight if you want to :lol:

Purple Haze = S.D.E

Confessions of Fires is 4th place

Record labels should still still do advances, in my opinion. Now that. Just let the artists handle their own marketing nowadays, since the advent of social media and stuff. It'll be less overhead for the labels. Or, instead of CD roms, their could be small microchips or something. Some people still like having album art, or booklets. Atleast maintain that aspect.

Tell Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Kanye, and Jay that albums are dead.

Cole and Kendrick haven't dropped in two or three years. The landscape has changed infinitely since then.

Jay hasn't either but I wouldn't have to tell him since he sold a million copies to Samsung to cheat himself into being platinum and also is a big part of one of the three biggest streaming companies in the US.

i don't have to tell Kanye because his album wasn't even available for sale except for a $20 download on his site, no physicals.

i don't have to tell Drake because streaming just made him go platinum in a week.

Kendrick dropped just last year & Cole dropped a few months before that.....

Magna Carta sold 1 million in stores......

Last edited:
and when people say relevant you know what ****** mean rap has always been youth (16-26) drivenassuming y'all are late 20's/early 30's, when you were 15-20 in the early 2000's big daddy kane/public enemy/etc. were legends for their contributions but they werent relevant in the conversation of who was hot at the time (i.e. Fab, Puff, Nas, Hov, DMX, Em, OutKast, etc.) and you'd laugh at the dusty old head trying to compare the two
y'all just wanna pull the "what does relevant mean" card because now you and your favorites have both gotten older + you don't like the yachty and uzis that are relevant now

Rap was youth Driven because up until recently the best music was coming from the youth, not to mention it was nowhere near as big of a demographic as it is now... now not only is that not true but damn near anybody who's a "Star" in rap is either pushing 30 or well above that age. Before if you weren't known in that (16-26) demo you were irrelevant because radio wouldn't play you, and the major networks, which were controlled by the major labels wouldn't play you either. So all we had to quantify if someone was relevant were sales....
And i know while growing up Big Daddy Kane/Rakim/PE etc etc weren't putting up anything NEAR the sales of the "HOT" artist.
Nowadays Hiphop has expanded it's crowd, it has a much lengthier history, and different Hiphop survives in different circles and has several outlets to gauge public interest in an artist.
So when someone tells me Game isn't relevant today because he did 30K... yet someone who is "Relevant" could drop today and get the same #'s it just doesn't add up.
Not to mention that not only are ya'll quantifying relevancy with a specific age Range, but also a specific sound.
Example i never here a guy like logic being mentioned as "Hot" but he's put up the numbers, he's doing real arena tours & the music is actually pretty decent (Crazy how this is always last in the convos)

Just to add to that part, rap has always been youth driven, but it wasn't all that long ago that the youth was actually speaking to and being felt by every demographic, not just the direct target demographic. If you just think about a lot of the rappers in the past that were 18-21 when they first started making music, they were touching on stuff that resonated with the youth, and people older than them. Outkast was 19 in 94, Nas was 20, Scarface was 21 in 91, and so on. The majority of current young rappers at max are speaking to their own age group, and it's pretty clear in their music. That's the difference between Lil Yatchy and Lil Uzi Vert, who seem to be making music for 14 year olds who write fan fiction on tumblr, vs Kodak Black, who is around their same age yet has the substance and self-awareness in his music to resonate more.

Last edited:
^^^^^ Real Rap.

Can't stand when dudes try to lump Kodak in there with the Yachty's and Uzi averts of the world. It's just lazy and screamed of being out of touch.

In this age....there are quite a few young dudes outside of the "festival rappers"....that are doing their thing.

Kodak Black and Joey B4D***** instantly come to mind to name a few.

^^^^^ Real Rap.

Can't stand when dudes try to lump Kodak in there with the Yachty's and Uzi averts of the world. It's just lazy and screamed of being out of touch.

In this age....there are quite a few young dudes outside of the "festival rappers"....that are doing their thing.

Kodak Black and Joey B4D***** instantly come to mind to name a few.

Kodak black is closer to lil uzi than joe badass in terms of rapping skill. That's why they lump dude in together with them

Last edited:
Kodak black is closer to lil uzi than joe badass in terms of rapping skill. That's why they lump dude in together with them

No. While you're a Drake fan....I know you know content being from Houston (I recall you bigging up Zro and Boosie).

Kodak is in more so in that lane of "reality rap.".....Which is way different than "festival fake trap."

**** changes, boo hoo cry me a river. The beauty of it is u can still go back and listen to all the old **** if u want.

With this type of mindset I don't understand how you can have so much vitriol for Drake.
I hate drake because I think he is a vulture that has ghostwriters, Jews and other big wigs backing him and.... he sucks. Hopes on whoever is hot wave and rides it and on to the next.

Back
Top Bottom