OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

that coach k needs usa basketball to recruit. he's saying how he didn't ask permission to talk to the group that included okafor and winslow but what about the actual coaches for that team that have access to the whole team for more than 1 conversation. Duke is Duke and they're always gonna get blue chip prospects. It was like that before CK worked with team USA and it'll be like that after. 
Duke's recruiting has gotten MUCH better since K took over for  Team USA. He had definitely hit a little rough patch in his recruiting. He was landing All-Americans still, but he's getting consensus #1 players again and sure fire NBA studs. They all cite the Olympic coaching too in their recruitments.

that coach k needs usa basketball to recruit. he's saying how he didn't ask permission to talk to the group that included okafor and winslow but what about the actual coaches for that team that have access to the whole team for more than 1 conversation. Duke is Duke and they're always gonna get blue chip prospects. It was like that before CK worked with team USA and it'll be like that after. 

There have been some lean years in terms of elite NBA caliber recruits, especially in the mid 2000's.

Jabari/Kyrie/Okafor projected number 1 pick type recruit for Duke is really recent phenomenon.

You'd be a fool to think that the Team USA connections didn't help.

Duke's recruiting has gotten MUCH better since K took over for  Team USA. He had definitely hit a little rough patch in his recruiting. He was landing All-Americans still, but he's getting consensus #1 players again and sure fire NBA studs. They all cite the Olympic coaching too in their recruitments.

yup.

People think Coach K is doing this out of the kindness of his heart? :lol:

I'm sure Coach Cal was coaching the Dominican Republic out of the kindness of his heart as well, wonder why he bounced when he got that Karl Towns commitment. :lol:

Last edited:
It's not a crime to enjoy the perks of your job. I don't understand the criticism over that. :lol:

He's good at what he does and the players seem to like playing for him. Let's leave it at that.

It's not a crime to enjoy the perks of your job. I don't understand the criticism over that. :lol:

He's good at what he does and the players seem to like playing for him. Let's leave it at that.

he can enjoy it all he wants, but thats not the point.

The point of the article is Coach K is reaping all the benefits, while the players and NBA franchise risk their valuable commodities for almost nothing. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, especially when players are sold on this idea of patriotism.

he can enjoy it all he wants, but thats not the point.

The point of the article is Coach K is reaping all the benefits, while the players and NBA franchise risk their valuable commodities for almost nothing. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, especially when players are sold on this idea of patriotism.

Yes, that scourge known as patriotism. Heaven forbid players (of their own free will) participate in the name of their country. Have we become so cynical that human beings representing their country has become a bad thing just because agents and GMs don't get a piece of the action?

Last edited:
It's not like the job doesn't have some drawbacks for Coach K. It is a lot of extra work. Plus, if we were to lose, he'd take plenty of blame. There's pressure there.

Last edited:
It's not like the job doesn't have some drawbacks for Coach K. It is a lot of extra work. Plus, if we were to lose, he'd take plenty of blame. There's pressure there.

LOL. Boo hoo. Yes, there's pressure. He's coaching the most talented team in the world. The pressure is fair.

Kobe Bryant Helped Team USA Basketball Regain Its Dominance with Single Game
By Ric Bucher , NBA Senior Writer Sep 15, 2014

Kobe Bryant Helped Team USA Basketball Regain Its Dominance with Single Game AP Images

Have you noticed? The world just doesn't seem to hate the U.S. men's national basketball team quite the way it once did.

It's understandable, seeing as our demeanor isn't as hate-inspiring. There was a time when we showed up thinking that the names on the backs of the jerseys, as much as the three letters on the front, would take care of business. The world noticed, ultimately made us pay for that arrogance and reveled in seeing it.

That was then. USA's basketball dominance has been reestablished now. If there was any question, the just-completed romp in the FIBA World Cup for another gold medal answered it. While the names on the back were still notable, none served as the cornerstone of every victory.

It was a collective, mix-and-match effort. And while this year's squad apparently drew inspiration from hearing that Spain was favored over it in some circles, the reason the U.S. can once again claim undisputed rights to the basketball throne is because we, as a basketball nation, showed some respect, not because we were deprived of it.

That much is clear. The current national program works harder, prepares better and, arguably, cares more. Who deserves the most credit for creating this new image, not only within the program but also to the world at large?

The answer, at least for some, is the man who is not exactly known for readily acknowledging that anyone is on his level: Kobe Bean Bryant.

Tony Ronzone, longtime international scout, current player personnel director for the Dallas Mavericks and former Team USA executive, believes Sunday's success, along with every other international triumph over the last seven years, can be traced back to the first quarter of Group B's final game in the 2007 FIBA Americas in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Jae C. Hong/Associated Press
Kobe Bryant's all-out effort against Brazil in 2007 reset a tone of dominance for Team USA squads since.
That's when Bryant, having asked for the challenge of stopping the tournament's leading scorer to that point, Brazil's Leandro Barbosa, hounded Barbosa into losing his dribble and then dove onto the floor to retrieve the ball near midcourt.

"I swear that was the turning point," says Ronzone. "You saw the best player in the world at that time sacrificing his body for a loose ball. That turned us. Great players can play that way. It's looking in the mirror and saying, 'We have to play that way.'"

Team USA had not been playing that way in, well, forever. The first several iterations of the Dream Team didn't need to go all out because the talent disparity was too great. The difference shrunk as the honor of playing lost its appeal and the NBA's top stars began ducking out. The program squeaked by for a couple more gold medals while slapping together the biggest names the program could attract, but it all unraveled in 2002 in heart-of-USA-basketball Indianapolis at the FIBA championships.

The team was awash with bad body language. Paul Pierce and coach George Karl were feuding. Baron Davis wasn't happy about his role coming off the bench behind Andre Miller. Several of the big men—Elton Brand, Ben Wallace, Antonio Davis—weren't great fits for the international game. It would all amount to three shocking losses and a sixth-place finish.

"There were 12 private limos waiting to get out of town as soon as they lost," said one NBA general manager, describing the collective attitude of the squad.

Nathaniel S. Butler/Getty Images
Beset by egos and a lack of motivation, George Karl and Team USA compiled a sixth-place finish at the 2002 world championships.
Larry Brown, coach of the 2004 Olympic team, recognized that the program no longer could simply invite the best available players but had to develop a deep pool of candidates and make them earn spots on the roster.

Director Jerry Colangelo heeded the advice, inviting dozens of players to training camp, supposedly with no guarantees. It was a way of acknowledging that the world had caught up to us, but it was a quiet way.

There was nothing quiet about Bryant's approach, though. He fully acknowledged that he studied a copious amount of carefully selected tape of Barbosa, pored over statistical tendencies and forfeited any interest in attempting to score on his own. Barbosa, who had been averaging 27 points a game, went 1-of-7 from the field and didn't score against Bryant.

Bryant didn't have to disclose all that preparation. He could've been like scores of Team USA players before him, who suggested their biggest challenge was fighting off ennui or being unfamiliar with the international rules or referees or limited practice time together.

Instead, he approached the game as if Barbosa were Michael Jordan and this were Game 7 in the NBA Finals. It might've been a painful dose of respect, but it was respect nonetheless and more than anyone in a Team USA uniform had shown a foreign opponent maybe ever.

"Coach K would use that play (of Bryant diving for the loose ball), showing a clip of it, to remind everyone that it was 'We, not I,'" said Ronzone, referring to national team coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Coach K is among the other influences that have put the U.S. back on top, to be sure, including a general dissipation of the level of international competition. Some of that is because a few powerhouse national teams have grown old and have been unable to reinvent themselves; some, too, is because the top young players in other countries are more focused on finding their way to the NBA than playing for their countries.

Catherine Steenkeste/Getty Images
Mike Krzyzewski often has referenced Kobe Bryant's effort for Team USA to keep his international squads focused.
"It used to be so much different globally," said Rich Sheubrooks, who helped organize the Nike Hoop Summit and just retired after serving as director of global scouting for several NBA teams, most recently the Utah Jazz. "I don't think it's the same burning desire that 'I want to play for my country' as it once was. They're looking out for who they are now."

That wasn't as prevalent seven years ago when Bryant earned his floor burns at the Thomas & Mack Center. The thirst for beating the U.S. was strong, and the inherent intimidation factor was gone. Bryant diminished the first and took a step toward restoring the second through the simple act of saying to Barbosa and the rest of the world: "You deserve my full attention. My job now is to make you wish you hadn't."

It won't rank high on Kobe's list of personal achievements. There's a chance it won't be acknowledged at all beyond the 2008 Olympic gold medal it inspired. But considering where the national program is now, seven years later, and how the players within it are approaching their jobs as representatives of USA's basketball preeminence, perhaps it should.

Ric Bucher covers the NBA for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter @RicBucher.

The most underrated aspect of Team USA's resurgence is the work of their scouts and actually being prepared for their opponents. We can talk about individual players and coaches and what they've done in changing the culture of Team USA but I'd argue that one of the main reasons the 06 team lost was that the players were completely unprepared for Greece and they didn't know anything about their opponent. Coach K was talking about players using their jersey number rather than their name because neither him, the players nor the staff knew anything about these guys.

The most underrated aspect of Team USA's resurgence is the work of their scouts and actually being prepared for their opponents. We can talk about individual players and coaches and what they've done in changing the culture of Team USA but I'd argue that one of the main reasons the 06 team lost was that the players were completely unprepared for Greece and they didn't know anything about their opponent. Coach K was talking about players using their jersey number rather than their name because neither him, the players nor the staff knew anything about these guys.

They were completely unprepared for Greece in 2006 because nobody knew how to defend a pick and roll. Greece didn't do anything special. Team USA just couldn't defend a basic basketball play.

Yes, that scourge known as patriotism. Heaven forbid players (of their own free will) participate in the name of their country. Have we become so cynical that human beings representing their country has become a bad thing just because agents and GMs don't get a piece of the action?

Yeah thats fine, but everyone else is benefiting except the players and the owners.

Why they gotta be paid in patriotism meanwhile Coach K, Nike and Duke make out like bandits? :lol:

If the players are cool with it thats fine, but lets not pretend like this aint a hustle.

Last edited:
I could also make the argument that I'd rather Demar Derozan play for team usa with the best players in the world than in the drew league with ray ray and jarome from around the way.

but the injury risk is still higher, I don't have to pay his salary if he getrs hurt. :lol:

I could also make the argument that I'd rather Demar Derozan play for team usa with the best players in the world than in the drew league with ray ray and jarome from around the way.

but the injury risk is still higher, I don't have to pay his salary if he getrs hurt. :lol:

This is where you and I will agree (and where one of the main argument from GMs falls apart). They claim they don't want guys to play because of injury risks, extra wear and tear, etc. Well, then don't allow your players to play in glorified street ball games, against non pros, in what are essentially high school gyms, in the off season. Oh wait, you can't. But the leagues has tried. Jamal Crawford changed the name of his Pro-Am to the Seattle Pro-Am to get around it (the league was going to charge him a licensing fee to use his own name).

At least in FIBA you have professional courts and good facilities.

Can't believe Plumlee is a Gold Medalist 
roll.gif

IMO the gap between the U.S and the World is getting bigger. It's crazy how the U.S is basically the defending champion at almost every level for both the women and the men.

IMO the gap between the U.S and the World is getting bigger. It's crazy how the U.S is basically the defending champion at almost every level for both the women and the men.

The women's tourneys are a joke. They've won gold medals in 13 out of 17 tournaments since 1984. They've lost one game at the Olympics since 1984 (won bronze in 1992). They've lost one game at FIBA since getting bronze in 1994. They have three losses TOTAL, across both tournaments, in 30 years lol.

MEH. Don't buy that at all. The US is as strong as ever but there's no way they skate through their bracket/pool if they didn't have the easiest damn schedule in the tournament. Compare France or even the PhIllipines level of competition to the US. It's not even close.

Next year - there's 4-5 projected international lottery picks. There's a ton of talent out there. I expect the Olympics to be tougher. US will be on top but Spain, Croatia, France, Brazil, Greece, Canada, Australia will be there giving us competition.

MEH. Don't buy that at all. The US is as strong as ever but there's no way they skate through their bracket/pool if they didn't have the easiest damn schedule in the tournament. Compare France or even the PhIllipines level of competition to the US. It's not even close.

Next year - there's 4-5 projected international lottery picks. There's a ton of talent out there. I expect the Olympics to be tougher. US will be on top but Spain, Croatia, France, Brazil, Greece, Canada, Australia will be there giving us competition.

Spain is gonna drop off because Pau is almost certainly done. Also, you can't leave out Serbia on that list. They just crushed Greece and Brazil, and beat France in the semis.

Serge ibaka and Marc Gasol are still a top frontcourt. If anything, giving Serge more time with Marc should help the team out. They might miss Pau a little but not much with 2 top notch bigs commanding 30+ MPG. As good as Pau was this tourney, he's still a flawed player - especially defensively. Ask Laker fans :lol:

But I agree - Serbia's another team that'll be there competing.

Back
Top Bottom