OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Staal says he wants to be the #2 Center in Carolina behind Eric......Jordan is also getting married today (Friday) to his Fiance Heather.

Flying out to Pittsburgh in a bunch of hours to support my buddies brother who is ranked to go in the Top 20
pimp.gif
Going to make a good weekend out of it and have a few beverages
laugh.gif

^Have fun my dude!

Anyways, you know your franchise is sorry when the draft is the mos exciting part of the year... for the 3rd year in a row
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Murray is the right pick, and the Oilers are apparently shopping still... but Yakupov is
sick.gif

Once again: picking this high, do you go for need or BPA?

Originally Posted by Physicx

Once again: picking this high, do you go for need or BPA?

They're in a unique spot where they don't really need to go BPA.  They've been picking BPA's and stockpiled at forwards the last two years.  They need a blue chip on the blue line not a bad move at all this time around.

If Subban falls to 29, the Devils NEED to take him.  That's the only reason I could see them not giving up the draft pick this year.

I would rather be killed than pay Jordan freaking Staal that much money, for that long, thats crazy. NHL Contracts are getting out of control.

/\ I was jus gettin rdy to say... I love Staal... like man ill prob cry when he leaves but thats too much money...

Shero is the man when it comes to personnel managemnet. we could spend that money elsewhere and get about as good as a return. granted it will def take two bodies to do all the things J Staal does but o well, plus he has a puck magnet in his head... hell miss a handful of games every year stopping pucks w/ his face.

30t6p3b.gif

havent been in here since Geno got his hardware but
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

now I can change my avy
laugh.gif

Seriously though, Staal can walk, and Pittsburgh will still be loaded.   Pitt still needs to think about extending Crosby anyway.  
Heard the Bruins have been added as possible suitors for Nash 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Staal for Kane? Does that make some sense for both?

Which one, Evander or Patrick?
Its been discussed here whether an Evander Kane-Jordan Staal trade would work. There is some sense to it, we need a number 1 centre and Kane with Crosby or Malkin would be amazing.

However right now I don't think we do it. The main reason for this trade discussion was because it sounded like Kane didn't want to sign here, but right now it sounds like we can work out a deal so if he's interested in staying here I have no desire to get rid of him. Plus I wouldn't trade for Staal unless we know for sure he'd sign an extension here.

i've heard nash/ryan/keith yandle for Bruins. Ryan plz. dont think Nash would be a great fit here.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Staal for Kane? Does that make some sense for both?
Staal wants to test FA next year. He's a one-year loaner unless the Pens can move him to Carolina.

FrenchBlue23 wrote:
Heard the Bruins have been added as possible suitors for Nash 
nerd.gif

I've heard that rumour, too-- but it's erroneous. Apparently, Columbus wanted Seguin + Hamilton or Lucic + Hamilton, which was a price too steep for Chiarelli. (I agree, FWIW).
bjm5295 wrote:
i've heard nash/ryan/keith yandle for Bruins. Ryan plz. dont think Nash would be a great fit here.
Yandle is not on the block, despite reports to the contrary. It would apparently take "something special" to trade him.

Flyers trade Bob to CBJ for a 2nd and 4th round picks
Flyers are interested in the Ducks 6th pick.

going to be an interesting night
pimp.gif

Here's some of the latest rumors from ESPN:

Spoiler [+]
http://[h3]Oilers' plan for top pick[/h3]
1:53PM ET

[h5]Edmonton Oilers [/h5]

Whether forward Nail Yakupov or defenseman Ryan Murray is the prospect of choice (still up in the air, it seems), the Edmonton Oilers imply they're leaning toward holding on to the No. 1 draft selection.

"I'm very comfortable that if it stays as is, we're going to make our (first) pick," Oilers GM Steve Tambellini said, as reported by the Edmonton Journal. "We have an asset coming to this organization who could join )Ryan Nugent-)Hopkins, (Taylor) Hall, (Jordan) Eberle and (Jeff) Petry."

Conceding the Oilers could still select Yakupov first overall, ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun suggests Tambellini would consider trading the top pick -- under the right circumstances.

- Victoria Matiash

lebrun_pierre_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Pierre LeBrun[/h5]
Trading down isn't out of the question
"... No matter what the Oilers say, I think they'd love to move down from the No. 1 spot in the draft and get something tangible in return while still picking a defenseman they covet ... The Oilers, I believe, love blueliner Ryan Murray, as well as defenseman Griffin Reinhart. Either would satisfy their top need: defense ..."
http://[h3]MacTavish's replacement (update)[/h3]
1:29PM ET

[h5]Vancouver Canucks [/h5]

UPDATE: Relaying a dispatch from the Winnipeg Free Press, the Vancouver Province reports Scott Arniel is "close to signing on" as the head coach of the AHL Chicago Wolves.

By accepting a front-office job (Senior VP of hockey operations) with the Edmonton Oilers, Craig MacTavish may have created a ripe opportunity for Scott Arniel to return to coaching.

As discussed by the Vancouver Sun, the Vancouver Canucks are looking for a new bench boss with their AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves, after MacTavish vacated the position early this week. And Arniel could be a top candidate.

"Scotty would be on our list, for sure," said Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning. "There will probably be five or six guys and Scotty will be one."

Before serving with the Columbus Blue Jackets, Arniel was head coach of the Canucks' farm team du jour -- the AHL Manitoba Moose --from 2006 until 2010. He took the squad to the Calder Cup Finals in 2009. And, yup, the 49-year-old would be interested in Wolves' gig.

""It is something that appeals to me," Arniel admitted. "But, in saying that, we obviously haven't gone anywhere yet. Like you, I just saw the news that broke today ... I want to be an NHL head coach again but I don't know if there is anything for me this year. Certainly there are some assistant jobs available but this one (Wolves) is intriguing."

The Canucks have to get permission from the Blue Jackets to talk to Arniel, but that shouldn't be an issue.

As an aside, we can clearly rule MacTavish out of the running for respective head coaching gigs in Edmonton and Washington.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]Bobrovsky to Columbus (update)[/h3]
1:18PM ET

[h5]Sergei Bobrovsky | Flyers [/h5]

UPDATE: Darren Dreger reports the Columbus Blue Jackets have acquired Sergei Bobrovsky from the Philadelphia Flyers for two 2012 draft selections -- 45th and 117th overall -- and a 2013 fourth-round pick.

This move has the potential to partially solve the Jackets' goaltending concerns. They still need another NHL experienced body before the start of the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Flyers are now expected to add a backup (Scott Clemmensen?) to replace Bobrovsky via free agency.

Goalie Sergei Bobrovsky appears headed for Columbus.

TSN's Darren Dreger reports the Philadelphia Flyers seem ready to trade Bobrovsky to the Columbus Blue Jackets for draft picks.

Stay tuned.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]Ryan trade chatter 2.0[/h3]
12:01PM ET

[h5]Bobby Ryan | Ducks [/h5]

UPDATE: Are the Philadelphia Flyers willing to cough up the necessary assets to pry Bobby Ryan away from the Anaheim Ducks?

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun suggests (below) Ryan could be a good 'Plan B' for the Flyers if a deal for Rick Nash inches out of reach. However, the return price may go beyond what GM Paul Holmgren is ready to relinquish.

Here we go again ...

TSN's Bob McKenzie suggests Bobby Ryan of the Anaheim Ducks is "available" once more:

"... That doesn't mean Bobby Ryan is sure to be moved. It does means ANA's phone will be/has been ringing and they will be keenly listening ... I suspect (the trade) would be for two or three building block pieces that would increase organizational depth but not payroll ..."

With three years (cap hit: $5.1 million) remaining on his current contract, Ryan could be valued as a consolation prize to interested teams unable to make a deal for Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets. And the 25-year-old Ducks winger won't "cost" nearly as much as Nash. Ryan collected 31 goals and 26 assists in 82 games with Anaheim in 2011-12.

Plus Ryan doesn't have a no-trade clause. So trade partners for the Ducks could range well beyond the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes and Philadelphia Flyers.

- Victoria Matiash

lebrun_pierre_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Pierre LeBrun[/h5]
Too heavy a price?
"... Any deal with the Flyers from the Ducks' perspective would have to center around Brayden Schenn, a source told ESPN.com Thursday, as Anaheim is desperate to find an upgrade at the No. 2 center position. My sense is that the Flyers have very little interest in moving Schenn. They view him as way too valuable to do that. Winger James van Riemsdyk is the player more likely to move out of Philadelphia if the Flyers make any splash over the next few weeks ..."

http://[h3]Isles' draft strategy[/h3]
11:47AM ET

[h5]New York Islanders [/h5]

Holding the No. 4 selection overall, the New York Islanders are open to trade their top pick at this year's NHL Entry Draft.

"All options are on the table," Isles GM Garth Snow told The New York Post. "If we can move prospects to get a player that is going to come in and going to help us and get us where we want to be, we're going to make that move ... we've gone through a rebuild, we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, so now it's an easier decision for me to make moves to get us help immediately ... we're looking the trade route, and if we don't have success in that area, then free agency starts in a week."

With only Mark Streit, Andrew MacDonald, and Travis Hamonic -- plus youngsters Calvin de Haan and Matt Donovan -- secured for next season, Snow needs to bolster his blue line. Big time. If trading that fourth overall pick helps garner a quality, experienced defenseman in return, the Isles GM should make that move.

"We're looking to add two or three veteran defensemen," Snow admitted.

This is the type of transaction that would likely unfold spontaneously. Especially if a prospect coveted by another teams emerges as available after the first three selections.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]KHL pursuing Pavelec?[/h3]
11:28AM ET

[h5]Ondrej Pavelec | Jets [/h5]

UPDATE: The Winnipeg Jets are reportedly trying to secure goaltender Ondrej Pavelec on this side of the pond.

The Winnipeg Free Press reports Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff met with Pavelec's agent Allan Walsh Thursday.

"... Cheveldayoff and Walsh are dancing around over term (three or four years) and money (likely somewhere between $12 million and $17) on a deal for the goalie, with the alleged threat hanging over their talks that Pavelec could bolt to the KHL next season ..."

In respect to earlier dispatches, a four-year-deal for $16 million should be enough to lock up the RFA-to-be with the Jets.

According to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun, a source confirms Pavelec has an offer worth upwards of $5 million a year (tax-free) to play in St. Petersburg.

UPDATE: It appears the Winnipeg Jets will have to cough up some serious dough to hold on to goaltender Ondrej Pavelec.

Since the pending restricted free agent has received a "big" offer from the KHL, TSN's Darren Dreger suggests a multi-year deal carrying an annual salary of $4 million will be needed to keep Pavelec in the NHL. If the Jets aren't willing to hammer out such a contract, they would benefit most from trading the 24-year-old netminder.

Pavelec earned an average annual salary of $1.15 million in his last two seasons.

UPDATE: According to Dmitry Chesnokov, the head coach of KHL club SKA St. Petersburg has confirmed an interest in signing goaltender Ondrej Pavelec.

- Victoria Matiash

Coming off a pretty solid 2011-12 campaign, Ondrej Pavelec can become a restricted free agent this offseason. The Winnipeg Jets seem intent on bringing him back though and, if that's the case, it's going to be tough for any other NHL team to pry him away.

The KHL could be a different story however. Numerous reports have surfaced in the past few days that suggest a team in the Russian league is trying to lure him overseas with a big offer. Pavelec's agent isn't commenting on that speculation at the moment but, if there's any truth to it, this puts more pressure on Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff to get a deal done. It also could give Pavelec more leverage in negotiations. The 24-year old netminder didn't put up Vezina caliber numbers last year or anything, but he was a solid and consistent presence in goal for the club in its first season in Winnipeg. Losing him would force the organization to scramble for a starting netminder (backup Chris Mason is a UFA this summer), and that's a scenario they'd obviously prefer to avoid.

- Luke Lapinski

http://[h3]Devils' draft desire[/h3]
11:18AM ET

[h5]New Jersey Devils [/h5]

It's anticipated the New Jersey Devils will snag a big, tough forward with their first-round draft selection -- 29th overall. Assuming they don't deal the pick, of course.

GM Lou Lamoriello told the New York Post the Devils are shopping for a "size-and-strength" forward.

"We're not going to get someone who will help us right away, but we'll get someone who will be good for us in a short while," Lamoriello said.

Either center Stefan Matteau (USHL) or winger Thomas Wilson (OHL) could fit the bill for the Devils. ESPN Insider Grant Sonier has Matteau and Wilson ranked 22nd and 24th, respectively.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]Hurricanes' interest in Nash[/h3]
11:03AM ET

[h5]Carolina Hurricanes [/h5]

In possession of the eighth overall draft pick, the Carolina Hurricanes could try to cobble a package together for winger Rick Nash. Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News&Observer suggests the Columbus Blue Jackets could ask for defensemen Ryan Murphy, Justin Faulk, and/or forward Brandon Sutter as elements of a deal in return. But the Hurricanes would be extremely reluctant to relinquish any of those young, promising players.

In reality, the Carolina club appears to lag behind the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, and perhaps even the Ottawa Senators, as a strong trade contender for Nash.

Meanwhile, the rumblings of a potential deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins for Jordan Staal are growing louder. Especially since we got word that Eric's younger brother rejected an alleged 10-year extension with the Penguins.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]Sens' interest in Nash (update)[/h3]
10:41AM ET

[h5]Ottawa Senators [/h5]

UPDATE: It seems the Ottawa Senators really, really want Rick Nash.

"We have talked to (the Columbus Blue Jackets) about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest," assistant GM Tim Murray told the Ottawa Sun. "With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody."

As for Nash's interest in waiving his no-trade clause for a move to Ottawa, Don Brennan suggests the prospect of playing with Team Canada pal Jason Spezza could carry influence.

In addition to offering Zibanejad, Foligno and Bishop, the Sens could include a first-round draft pick as part of the package for Nash. Such a bundle should certainly tempt the Blue Jackets.

Should we add the Ottawa Senators to the list of teams in the trade mix for Rick Nash?

Absolutely, according to Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun. The Senators have reportedly made a "strong pitch" for Nash, offering the Columbus Blue Jackets a bundle including -- but not restricted to -- 2011 first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, winger Nick Foligno and goaltender Ben Bishop.

Not too shabby a package at all. Especially considering the inclusion of the talented, young goalie. However, the Sens could offer the Blue Jackets the sun, moon, stars etc. and it may not make a lick of difference.

With his no-movement clause, Nash has the final say in his destination. It's not known if Ottawa is on the elite winger's current list of approved trade partners.

- Victoria Matiash

http://[h3]Sens' top draft target[/h3]
10:27AM ET

[h5]Ottawa Senators [/h5]

The Ottawa Senators are expected to select Cody Ceci 15th overall if the defenseman is still free by that stage. And Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun reports the local lad and his family would be just fine with that.

Originally Posted by rashi

What's the deal on the CBA?
Negotiations begin next week, I believe.

Preliminary talks have focused on revenue which leads many to think we're headed for a lockout.

bruh...

Hall-RNH-Yakupov on the 1st line

sick.gif

but for real... how the +#+! we gonna afford all these kids?

Lol congrats Physicx. I've already had that line in my NHL 10. It was 'aight' :tongue: We'll trade you Jbo for him

Back
Top Bottom