OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

from what ive heard, the extra years would help with the AAV for the cap no? if he sucks or retires after 5 years but we win a few more cups, while keeping the core intact, itll be worth the extra cash
Had no idea Quick's wrist injury was that serious since the Ducks series.

Had no idea Quick's wrist injury was that serious since the Ducks series.

Neither did I :lol: didn't hear anything about it during the playoffs, shoot I don't recall him getting hurt in that series at all. Only 10-12 weeks and he'll be good to go though

Interested what Bruins fans feel they are going to do with Iginla?

it depends on who they would replace him with. personally, if they bring him back on a one year deal, sure. why not. the FO is definitely looking to bring him back. they've also said we don't have the cap room to make a big splash in FA this year.

we've got some guys in providence that need to get some time now with the big club. spooner needs to be up full time. fraser is obviously going to get more PT.

Last edited:
Neither did I :lol: didn't hear anything about it during the playoffs, shoot I don't recall him getting hurt in that series at all. Only 10-12 weeks and he'll be good to go though
Could explain some of his uncharacteristically inconsistent, wavering play in net.

part of me is glad you guys did. i know my coach probably has serious wood for RC. and i love him as a player...but just not the type of player we need to add at this point to get better :lol:

hope he does well in tampa

Last edited:
Could explain some of his uncharacteristically inconsistent, wavering play in net.

That's true not as sharp as he usually is, but one hell of a run with that busted up wrist, but I'm still amazed what he did in 2012 with his back issues .

frink85 frink85 Marian will probably retire before he hits his 5th year on that contract.

Last edited:
That's true not as sharp as he usually is, but one hell of a run with that busted up wrist, but I'm still amazed what he did in 2012 with his back issues .

frink85 frink85 Marian will probably retire before he hits his 5th year on that contract.

I'll take the 5 mil cap hit for 2-3 extra years after retirement instead of the 7-8 mil cap hit for the next 4-5 years assuming we win a few more cups :lol: I'd rather have the couple extra mil in cap room now while the window is wide open. 5 years from now when these guys are 34-35 and on the downside, I figure that cap hit wont matter as much.

All this cap maneuvering just reminded me how the Lakers did this all wrong :smh:

probably no one cares and im late but we signed callahan...i guess we won that trade :smokin

Man six years though? That's a little too much for him IMO. I'd have let Buffalo give him seven and target one of the 3 centers out there.

probably no one cares and im late but we signed callahan...i guess we won that trade :smokin

Still early to tell but the Rangers did make the cup already with MSL. I know its all about winning but I give NY the head start on winning that trade thus far.

If the Panthers keep the pick it will be Ekblad. 100% sure. If they do the rumored deal with Vancouver of 6/Tanev/Shinkaruk, Vancouver will prolly take Reinhart.

Kesler's going to be a Duck today. I can feel it.

FWIW.

We're hours away from the start of the 2014 NHL draft, when all of our projecting, profiling and prognosticating will be put to the test. For our final piece of preparation, it's time to take one last shot at a mock draft for the first 30 picks.

For this edition, we handed the keys to NHL war rooms around the league to Frank Provenzano and Corey Pronman, who alternated picks (Corey taking the odds, Frank taking the evens). Each has made picks for their teams based upon their own thoughts on the best player for each team at that spot, taking into account our intel on how teams feel about certain players.

1. Florida Panthers: Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie (OHL)
DOB: 2/7/96 | Ht: 6-foot-4 | Wt: 216 pounds

Ekblad is not a lock at first overall. Sam Bennett seems plausible here, and Panthers GM Dale Tallon has expressed interest in some of the highly skilled wingers, but the big defenseman is the probable selection. That's the case for most of the teams trying to trade up to the top spot as well, other than the Canucks, who believe that Sam Reinhart is the top prospect in the class.

2. Buffalo Sabres: Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay (WHL)
DOB: 11/6/95 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 183

The Sabres will use the No. 2 pick to take the talented two-way center and begin the process of mending one of the most historically anemic offenses in the modern NHL era.

3. Edmonton Oilers: Leon Draisaitl, C, Prince Albert (WHL)
DOB: 10/27/95 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 209

I'm skeptical that Reinhart gets to No. 3, but if he does, I think it's a coin flip for Edmonton between him and Draisaitl. Otherwise, Leon has been the rumored name for the Oilers for a few months. My impression is that the organization believes that it needs another top talent at center, especially since Sam Gagner's career hasn't really taken off.

4. Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett, C, Kingston (OHL)
DOB: 6/20/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

New Calgary GM Brad Treliving's total bottom-up organizational rebuild will get a major shot in the arm with the addition of Bennett, which would immediately give the Flames a bona fide 1-2 nucleus (along with Sean Monahan) at a critical position for the foreseeable future.

5. New York Islanders: Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa (OHL)
DOB: 6/20/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 172

The top of the draft, per the industry, has pretty much developed into a tier of five. That would be the four players selected already, and Colle, who is the ideal fit for an organization loaded with young centers and defensemen.

6. Vancouver Canucks: Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
DOB: 2/14/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 163

The return on a potential trade for Ryan Kesler notwithstanding, the Canucks' new president/GM combo of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning needs to add skill and scoring to Vancouver's pop-gun attack, and Ehlers would fit that role nicely.

7. Carolina Hurricanes: Jake Virtanen, RW, Calgary (WHL)
DOB: 8/17/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 209

The management change makes it tougher to project Carolina's pick. Virtanen is one of the best players at this slot according to the industry, and the Canes could use some top talent with good physical play. He'll be a pretty good complement to Jeff Skinner and Elias Lindholm.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs: William Nylander, RW, Modo (SHL)
DOB: 5/1/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 170

The flashy son of former NHLer Michal Nylander literally grew up in an NHL environment. He will need to rely on that background to deal with the microscope that comes with being a top prospect in Leaf Nation.

9. Winnipeg Jets: Kasperi Kapanen, RW, KalPa (Liiga)
DOB: 7/23/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

With the addition of top-end defenseman talent in each of the last two seasons -- Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey -- Kapanen would be a welcome scoring talent on the wing for the Jets. They haven't really drafted Europeans during the Kevin Cheveldayoff era, but it's such a small sample that it's tough to say it's predictive at this point.

10. Anaheim Ducks (from Ottawa Senators): Nick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough (OHL)
DOB: 12/5/95 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 236

Ritchie's combination of size and power will be a nice complement to the Ducks' established identity of big, strong forwards who can go to the hard areas of the ice and make life miserable for opposing defensemen.

11. Nashville Predators: Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL)
DOB: 7/8/96 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 198

Nashville has made it known that they want help up front, and may move this pick to get that done. If Fleury gets to this point, he's the best player available, so it's tough to pass him up even if Nashville wants forward help.

12. Arizona Coyotes: Sonny Milano, LW, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 5/12/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 185

The Coyotes will always play a stingy defensive game under head coach Dave Tippett, but with five of the top seven scoring teams coming out of the Western Conference in 2013-14, an over-reliance on shootout points is a risky strategy to return to the playoffs. Milano will bring much-needed skill (and puck-handling party tricks) to the desert.

13. Washington Capitals: Kevin Fiala, LW, HV71 (SHL)
DOB: 7/22/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 194

The Capitals have, for the most part, tended to draft high-talent type of players, and Fiala fits that bill as the most highly skilled player left on the board. It's tough to tell the team's direction following a GM change, but its scouting director was promoted to a higher position, so the organizational trends may continue.

14. Dallas Stars: Jared McCann, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
DOB: 5/3/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 174

The Stars have stockpiled young talent at all positions except one: center ice. Adding McCann will give them what should be at least a top-nine pivot with the chance to crack the top-six grouping of forwards.

15. Detroit Red Wings: Robby Fabbri, C, Guelph (OHL)
DOB: 1/22/96 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 165

The Detroit front office has changed, with a new AGM and chief scout, the previous two being key components to their drafting. Still, GM Ken Holland will emphasize some of the same traits the team has previously sought, those being high-skill, high-IQ players. That describes Fabbri to a T.

16. Columbus Blue Jackets: Brendan Perlini, LW, Niagara (OHL)
DOB: 4/27/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 205

Perlini's combination of size, speed and skill will add a potentially game-breaking dimension to a Blue Jackets team that looks to be punching through to the barrier of legitimate playoff contender.

17. Philadelphia Flyers: Alex Tuch, RW, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 5/10/96 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 216

The Flyers are pretty strong at center and on defense among their young players, but could use a little help on the wing, especially the right side. That's an overly micro way of looking at things, but Tuch fits at No. 17 on talent alone, as well as in terms of the attributes the Flyers tend to seek.

18. Minnesota Wild: Dylan Larkin, C, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 7/30/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 192

Larkin fits the mold of the prototypical Wild player: a good skater with good hockey sense who works hard at both ends of the ice. The only knock against the Detroit-born forward, from a Minnesota point of view, is that he committed to the wrong Big Ten school, as he'll be a Michigan Wolverine this fall.

19. Tampa Bay Lightning: Jakub Vrana, LW, Linkoping (SHL)
DOB: 2/28/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 176

Tampa Bay has tended to target high-end talent over the last few years. Vrana would be similar to the Slater Koekkoek pick (No. 10, 2012), adding a former elite prospect who had a so-so draft season, but has a ton of upside.

20. San Jose Sharks: Julius Honka, D, Swift Current (WHL)
DOB: 12/3/95 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 174

With the addition of Honka, the sort-of-maybe-retooling Sharks can add an eventual replacement for the recently departed Dan Boyle, as he is similar in stature (5-foot-11), shoots right, and is a threat from the offensive blue line in.

21. St. Louis Blues: David Pastrnak, RW, Sodertalje (Allsvenskan)
DOB: 5/25/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 168

The Blues are an organization that is pretty deep in young wingers and has a solid defensive core, but needs young centers, and tends to target high-end hockey sense. Though he plays on the wing, Pastrnak does exhibit high-level hockey IQ, is highly skilled and can impact possession.

22. Pittsburgh Penguins: Ivan Barbashev, C, Moncton (QMJHL)
DOB: 12/14/95 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181

Spending first-round picks on Russian-born players has become a much shakier bet since the advent of the KHL, and their draft positions typically have that risk baked into them. Having a countryman like Evgeni Malkin around is a big plus for young players trying to balance the transition to the NHL with the never-far-away siren call of their homeland.

23. Colorado Avalanche: Roland McKeown, D, Kingston (OHL)
DOB: 1/20/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 194

Colorado is a team that tends to target character players, and has a need for defensemen in its pipeline even with how strong Chris Bigras and Tyson Barrie have looked. McKeown has the talent to merit a selection at No. 23, as well as being the type of high-character player their scouts tend to value.

24. Anaheim Ducks: Josh Ho-Sang, C, Windsor (OHL)
DOB: 1/22/96 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 165

Having already had a turn at the first-round microphone, the Ducks can afford to employ a little more risk/return in their second trip to the Wells Fargo Arena podium by selecting the immensely talented yet somewhat mercurial Ho-Sang, who is, by virtually every account, the toughest high-level player to project in the upcoming talent lottery.

25. Boston Bruins: Nikita Scherbak, RW, Saskatoon (WHL)
DOB: 12/30/95 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 174

The Bruins are deep down the middle, which is already affecting their top drafted prospects. On the other hand, they need more scoring punch in their system, especially on the wings. Scherbak going here would be a bit of a slide, even though he possesses very little risk of transferring to the KHL.

26. Montreal Canadiens: Adrian Kempe, LW, Modo (SHL)
DOB: 9/13/96 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 187

Kempe's projected profile is that of the strong, swift power forward who can pressure defenses on the forecheck and go hard to the front of the net. Adding him will be a good potential complement to Montreal's current top-nine forward group of killer attackers who tend to be on the small side.

27. Chicago Blackhawks: Nick Schmaltz, C, Green Bay (USHL)
DOB: 2/23/96 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 174

I could very well see Schmaltz falling out of the first round, but a fair number of scouts see him as a first-rounder, and given Chicago's high emphasis on skill, he would be a nice fit for the Blackhawks. After dealing Brandon Pirri to Florida, Chicago does not have a top-end skilled center in its organization.

28. Tampa Bay Lightning (from New York Rangers): Conner Bleackley, C, Red Deer (WHL)
DOB: 7/2/96 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 194

The Lightning couldn't have made out better in the Martin St. Louis trade from an asset standpoint. By re-signing Ryan Callahan, they managed to hold onto the NHL roster player they received in the deal. With the Rangers making the Stanley Cup finals, the Lightning also get to add a potential top-nine center (Bleackley) to an already deep prospect pool.

29. Los Angeles Kings: Travis Sanheim, D, Calgary (WHL)
DOB: 3/29/96 | Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 205

I detailed the Kings' pressing need for a top defensive prospect in the Pacific Division strategy piece, and with Sanheim's rise, he's entered the conversation as one of the few defensemen who could be taken in the first round.

30. New Jersey Devils: Anthony DeAngelo, D, Sarnia (OHL)
DOB: 10/24/95 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 168

New Jersey gets the door prize last pick in the first round through the mercy of the league office, and they will use this pick to take New Jersey native DeAngelo, despite potential questions regarding character. Devils president and GM Lou Lamoriello has a history of turning raw talent into polished player, and he'll try it again with the uber-talented Sarnia Sting backliner.

I'm reading if we trade it, it will be before we get on the draft floor. So we'll probably know before 5pm

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Hearing Kesler to Anaheim is done. Awaiting details...

IN division too!! :wow:

AWFUL return for Vancouver...just awful.

Last edited:
Oh well, sounds like another Anaheim deal is coming. This one better not involve another one of my favorite players! :smh:

Gonna have to retire this avy too. :frown:

Last edited:
mean.gif

frown.gif

Welp, its official. Rebuild mode is on.

Goodbye, Kes. Always be a favorite player of mine. 

Happy trails, old friend.

Back
Top Bottom