Official Houston Rockets 2013 Offseason Thread: Welcome D12 to Houston!

Same can be said about Lin. I was nervous going into game 6 then heard Lin was playing, knew a W was coming. Trade that dude if you can dupe someone into signing him, pursue CP3 or Jarrett Jack, even Mo Williams or even Jose Calderon, not Eric Bledsoe though. The who of the crowd at games will change, but you'll be fine. Also look into Dwight Howard or Josh Smith or a trade for Cousins.

I watched and/or listened to all 82 games this season, and I just have to say what a ride is was. We went from cleaning house, to almost having Lin be the "face of the franchise", to getting Harden, making other subtle moves, and then fighting the #1 seed for a potential game 7. There's a lot of potential positives coming up in the midst of the immediate negatives, bit everything is looking up.

I'm also glad we had plenty a chances to shine on the nat'l stage. With 3 years of no-mans land 9th in the West, loads of non-Rockets fans always had something to say and assume about this team, even though if our own fans barely saw the games here, there was no way fans outside of here could fairly pass any judgment on the team. So it was nice for them to taste crow here and there throughout the season.

Even our own radio stations (mostly 610) had already penciled on 4-0 for OKC, and hardly covered the Rockets unless they had jokes to tell. There was no reason for them to STILL be talking about the Texans draft and the miserable Asstros when there was a young playoff team who could've taken the series to 7 games. So if you wonder how a segment of the fans could leave like that last night, there it is right there, lames feeding the city constant negativity about them.

Had fun with this team all year, and can't wait for whatever moves will be made again. I hate the amount of turnover we always have, as I feel with 1 or 2 (obvious) moves, this could be a contending team that grows for years to come. Til our season starts back up again, #PopIt4TheRockets :pimp: :pimp:

watched nearly all of the games this season. good times. cant wait for next season. everyone should be significantly better.

Whatever we do this off-season please no Josh Smith or Milsap. We don't need to ruin our cap space for players that won't make us immediate contenders.

Dwight and Cp3? Do it Morey 
devil.gif

Since actual news is starting to come out, figured I'd post some stuff. Firstly, even though Dwight & Paul sound great, I'm not a fan of washing out everybody else and filling in pieces just to get them. It would be fantastic to do exactly what the Heat did (basically getting rid of everybody but Haslem & Chalmers) and having 3 Finals runs, but I'm just not sure if that would happen here with Harden, Dwight and Paul. I'd rather we just focus on a Harden/Dwight pairing, and look for an upgrade at the forward position. But anyway....

Rockets’ master plan doesn’t end at signing a big free agent

The Rockets’ offseason plans begin with their pursuit of a top free agent, starting with Lakers center Dwight Howard, but they don’t end there.

The moves they hope will come next will be a major part of their sales pitch, a person with knowledge of that part of their presentation said.

The Rockets intend to describe details about their plans after signing a free agent, according to the individual familiar with their strategy, including a shift to the pursuit of veterans rather than the sort of young prospects they have collected in recent seasons and a willingness to spend well into luxury tax territory.

Howard and Clippers guard Chris Paul are considered the top players to become free agents July 1. Teams cannot talk to them or their representatives until then.

In addition to the expected discussions about their current roster and coaching staff, the Rockets intend to emphasize that after this season, they will have all of their first-round picks and full mid-level exceptions along with several young assets who could be dealt to upgrade the roster with more veterans.

Exceptions in offing

If the Rockets sign a top free agent, their payroll soon would move between the salary cap and the luxury tax, giving them mid-level exceptions, worth roughly $23 million over four years, beginning next summer.

By going over the salary cap this season, they will be able to offer an exception worth $5.4 million over two years, enough that on a team with one of the top free agents they could attract the sort of solid backup wing they would need after trimming the roster to have sufficient cap room for their free-agent pursuit.

The Rockets have told agents for Francisco Garcia, Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks that they will not pickup contract options this month. That exception and veteran’s minimums could be used to shift to a much more experienced roster if the Rockets land a top free agent, a plan they apparently will make a significant part of their presentation.

The Rockets have paid the luxury tax just once in the 15 seasons with the system, but according to the individual with knowledge of the plan, they also will emphasize that they would be willing to pay the tax to keep a winning team together.

They would like to avoid that in order to keep their mid-level exceptions, but part of their free-agent pitch will be to assure they would pay the tax if necessary if they want to keep players scheduled to be free agents in 2015, including Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Patrick Beverley.

If they exceed the tax, the exception they could use would be worth roughly $10 million over three years, with the Rockets planning to emphasize that even if paying the tax, they would intend to use that exception.

Previous strategy

In addition to looking at plans after signing a top free agent, the Rockets will cite their strategy when attempting to build around Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming as an example of how they would alter their recent strategy of collecting young prospects to instead fill the roster with veterans. In those seasons, they traded first-round picks for Shane Battier and Ron Artest and a first-year player for the rights to Luis Scola.

A top free agent would be the sixth max contract player signed by the Rockets in the current system, joining Steve Francis, McGrady, Yao and James Harden. McGrady and Harden were signed to max extensions shortly before their first games with the Rockets.

really hope we can land Dwight. I have full faith in him being the big man he can be if he's happy with the team around him. don't think it's feasibly to get both cp and Dwight, but if we could somehow do that and get rid of lin while still keeping parsons, i'd be booking my hotel reservations for the finals next june already.

Don't think cp3 is possible, but Dwight definitely is. I just want to see how they fill out the roster after signing him because we'd be cutting delfino and Garcia to make room

I dont think we need CP3, I think we need Howard more than him. If he and Asik can end games 
sick.gif
 Add an improving Parsons and Harden 
sick.gif

If we can somehow land a 6th man that can average 13-16 points, it will be interesting to see how far we can go. Definitely can't wait for July 1st 
smokin.gif

How do u guys feel about JLin, what's the general consensus on him from the Rockets fans on NT? Stay? Go? Potential?

Any1 think Houston interested in Josh Smith if you guys can't get Dwight Howard?

Based on what I've been hearing on the radio, they're interested in Smith only WITH Howard. A max contract (with this team at least) is not an option based on them pursuing Howard. I wouldn't mind Smith at all at a reasonable price cause him and Howard would be nice in the paint.

I've also heard they're interested in Jarrett Jack at a good price, just don't know how Lin's status as a PG affects that. Jack really is the perfect type of PG to rotate with Bev (and maybe Lin). I still think Lin can improve, but I'm ignoring him right now. Minus the brainfarts here and there late in the season from Jack, he's a steady reliable PG. It all depends on how he'd see himself fitting here, or whether he'd want big money to start somewhere else.

And even if Howard comes here, id prefer Asik to stay. Not to run some twin towers thing, but cause of how good the second team would be with him, and even Lin coming in for relief.

Based on what I've been hearing on the radio, they're interested in Smith only WITH Howard. A max contract (with this team at least) is not an option based on them pursuing Howard. I wouldn't mind Smith at all at a reasonable price cause him and Howard would be nice in the paint.

I've also heard they're interested in Jarrett Jack at a good price, just don't know how Lin's status as a PG affects that. Jack really is the perfect type of PG to rotate with Bev (and maybe Lin). I still think Lin can improve, but I'm ignoring him right now. Minus the brainfarts here and there late in the season from Jack, he's a steady reliable PG. It all depends on how he'd see himself fitting here, or whether he'd want big money to start somewhere else.

And even if Howard comes here, id prefer Asik to stay. Not to run some twin towers thing, but cause of how good the second team would be with him, and even Lin coming in for relief.
Jarrett Jack hey? hmm 
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom