+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

P.S. so Jay didn't come up with the idea for the video...

I totally forgot about this performance/installation at the moma. didn't put it together when i heard about jay's video.

Last edited:
Had a great time at the concert last night.  I might go check out another show before the year is out.  Also, the video posted about from Hot 97 is the reason why alot of ****** are stuck doing the same old thing and going nowhere fast.  Dudes are scared to explore new things and take on new challenges in life. 

Also, the video posted about from Hot 97 is the reason why alot of ****** are stuck doing the same old thing and going nowhere fast.  Dudes are scared to explore new things and take on new challenges in life. 
...coming from Deuce now... wow...

I don't see how anyone can pan that Jay vid. The only thing more stale than rap music the last few years has been rap videos. Only so many times you can watch rappers surrounded by women in the club blowing smoke. Jay and Ye both get props from me for doing vids that are different from the status quo, even back to the Otis vid. What's the point of even doing a visual if you're just going to do something that's been repeated literally a few thousand times?

I said it on twitter but I gotta say it here too. The over-analyzation of all things Jay Z is really out of control. I'm not mad at Rosenberg's opinion of the Picasso Baby video. I'm mad that its a talking point. Like, if the same level of scrutiny was given to everyone else's rap videos where would we be? I feel like everything about Jay-Z is an unnecessary conversation. Jay-Z puts his music out on an app and next thing you know were discussing digital privacy, as if a ton of apps people use every day don't ask for the same permissions. I can go on and on. It's like everyone has become a blogger instead of a fan. Bloggers need talking points. Fans just want to be entertained. A fan who doesn't like the Picasso baby vid is gonna just say they weren't really feeling it. A wannabe blogger is gonna try to explain to you how fake artsy and pretentious the vid is, as if its even that serious lol smh.

I don't see how anyone can pan that Jay vid. The only thing more stale than rap music the last few years has been rap videos. Only so many times you can watch rappers surrounded by women in the club blowing smoke. Jay and Ye both get props from me for doing vids that are different from the status quo, even back to the Otis vid. What's the point of even doing a visual if you're just going to do something that's been repeated literally a few thousand times?

I said it on twitter but I gotta say it here too. The over-analyzation of all things Jay Z is really out of control. I'm not mad at Rosenberg's opinion of the Picasso Baby video. I'm mad that its a talking point. Like, if the same level of scrutiny was given to everyone else's rap videos where would we be? I feel like everything about Jay-Z is an unnecessary conversation. Jay-Z puts his music out on an app and next thing you know were discussing digital privacy, as if a ton of apps people use every day don't ask for the same permissions. I can go on and on. It's like everyone has become a blogger instead of a fan. Bloggers need talking points. Fans just want to be entertained. A fan who doesn't like the Picasso baby vid is gonna just say they weren't really feeling it. A wannabe blogger is gonna try to explain to you how fake artsy and pretentious the vid is, as if its even that serious lol smh.
jay-z represents some of da best hiphop has to offer, OF COURSE its going to be heavily scrutinized....

otis was FANTASITC...this piccaso baby? in a word? awkward. and da fact that you know whats exactly wrong with it

shows its shallowness..

luckily its JUST da video, and not his album.

for da record, jay-z has never really had really dope videos, they've all been either middle of da road to just plain bleh...

if you want my sincere opinion? im not really mad at it, it humanizes jay-z to a audience (white america) that probably saw

him as some sort of drug dealing monster, his core audience didn't need this "jay-z for dummies" type video foray, but now

that we see it, it kinda makes him look SLIGHTLY goofy.

Last edited:

that's not really true bro.

the more you listen to music, especially if you're an enthusiast, you're gonna notice what it is that makes you like or dislike something.

in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now people knew just like today what it was they didn't like.

they didn't just say "nah it sucks" actually any normal human will tell you why they don't like something.

it's just that there's the internet and social networking so people have a platform to express themselves.

So we overscrutinize the best and gloss over the worst. This is why hiphop is where its at.

And ftr NH, I wasn't calling the vid fake artsy or pretentious. I was just echoing the sentiments I've heard. I'm not into art. To try and speak on that is almost hypocritical, and most who will say as much are probably in the same lane as me. From a PURELY hip hop perspective, that vid is good imo b/c its relevant to the song and takes an approach that hip hop is unfamiliar with. I'm coming from a shallow perspective with my limited knowledge of art and saying I appreciate the visual of Jay interacting with random people in close quarters almost cypher-like. From a "deeper" art perspective, I have no opinion. Calling the vid shallow implies you have an understanding of the depth of performance art...and I'm willing to bet you don't.

Last edited:
Man I got around to listening to this whole album and I really dont care for it. Like Im surprised by how much I dont like it.

Hell...when's the last time you seen a Jay video surrounded by women in the club blowing smoke?

I can't think of one in the past 10 years. 

I wouldn't call that the "typical" vid anymore. Maybe by dudes who feel like getting there **** on Worldstar is an accomplishment. But from the who's who in Rap right now...I can't think of too many videos in that threshold to call it the norm. 

if you want my sincere opinion? im not really mad at it, it humanizes jay-z to a audience (white america) that probably saw

him as some sort of drug dealing monster, his core audience didn't need this "jay-z for dummies" type video foray, but now

that we see it, it kinda makes him look SLIGHTLY goofy.
Nothing wrong with that opinion. My gripe is with the ppl who are mad at it. Like "how dare he try to be artistic." And truth be told, his core audience didn't need a video at all. We've moved past videos when you really thing about it. It's just a nice bonus. Even nicer when its something different to look at, even if you aren't feeling it. Just gotta tip your cap and keep it moving. Personally its not the kind of vid I would watch more the 2 or 3 times. And ftr Jay-Z IS slightly goofy. Always has been. "Do not step to me, I'm awkward, I box lefty..."

Really Victor Page? Have you seen Drake, Wayne, Fab, French, Meek, etc etc vids? Different locations, same isht. Ciroc bottles in everybody video. Everybody blow weed smoke. Thick lightskin women dance. Come on fam lol. I wasn't implying Jay does that. Hell Jay hardly does vids. But when he does he at least tries to switch it up. Roc Boys was an upscale version of the same kinda vids we get in hiphop. As was Show Me What You Got.

Typical rap video = cars, women, alcohol, party, smoke. That formula has dominated for the longest.

Really Victor Page? Have you seen Drake, Wayne, Fab, French, Meek, etc etc vids? Different locations, same isht. Ciroc bottles in everybody video. Everybody blow weed smoke. Thick lightskin women dance. Come on fam lol. I wasn't implying Jay does that. Hell Jay hardly does vids. But when he does he at least tries to switch it up. Roc Boys was an upscale version of the same kinda vids we get in hiphop. As was Show Me What You Got.

Typical rap video = cars, women, alcohol, party, smoke. That formula has dominated for the longest.
I guess you can consider French and Meek in the who's who right now. Definitely not Fab. Save for SFTB, Drake and Wayne have had videos that weren't "typical" in the past few years. HYFR, Take Care (video definitely wasn't typical but was also trash) to name a couple. Wayne has also put out some weird *** videos...My Homies comes to mind. But guys like Kendrick, Cole, ASAP, etc. have done videos that go beyond the ******* and bottles theme. With this new "artistic era" we're in where people are trying to do things different...there have been plenty of "what the **** did I just watch" videos from reputable artists. 

What am I saying is...the AVERAGE video that comes out now is not just **** in the club.

Last edited:
So we overscrutinize the best and gloss over the worst. This is why hiphop is where its at.

Hip hop hasn't really matured since 1990, a lot of that is due to corporations, because it wasn't allowed to age naturally with the artist. Corporations started dictating it's direction when it became profitable. The music and artist become disposable.

And since hip hop hasn't matured, neither has the fan

Before hip hop was precious. Now it's taken for granted. There is no struggle to listen to it. People don't remember first hearing _____, because it was always there. Nobody else respected it, but we respected it. Rappers were gods and super heroes.

I was a kid listening to PE, Brand Nubian and X-Clan. I didn't understand everything they were saying, but I wanted to know and find out. Now you have 30 somethings who make music for 16 years olds. It's really *** backwards. No other music genre does that besides pop. Before, Run DMC was trying to live up to Cold Crush. LL was trying to live up to Kool Moe Dee. EPMD was trying to live up to Run DMC. Nas wanted to be like Rakim. So even though they might have been 17 and 18, they wanted to sound older than they were. They wanted to be respected by who they idolized. Not just be rich. They wanted to add something and be someone in hip hop. That's why it was crazy when Soulja Boy came out, because people were treating him like he was Kriss Kross, as if he was a little *** kid to defend his ********. Dude was damn near the same age as everyone who first came out in the 80's besides Chuck D, KRS, Guru and Eazy.

Now everyone thinks they can be a rapper, because it's practically no skills required. Fifteen years ago, French would have stayed making videos. But everyone looks around now, that's what's hot? I can do that.

People say your Jay-Z, Nas and Em's are breaking down doors as far as rappers being able to have longevity and sustain careers, but the reverse hasn't happen. What happen to making music for your age group? Wayne is 30 now. Ross and 2 Chainz are in their mid 30's. Do they make music for 30 somethings? Has their music matured?

Add social media, blogs and reality tv, and it takes away the mystery of your favorite rapper. You know way too much about them.

OK rant over...I can go on and on.

I guess you can consider French and Meek in the who's who right now. Definitely not Fab. Save for SFTB, Drake and Wayne have had videos that weren't "typical" in the past few years. HYFR, Take Care (video definitely wasn't typical but was also trash) to name a couple. Wayne has also put out some weird *** videos...My Homies comes to mind. But guys like Kendrick, Cole, ASAP, etc. have done videos that go beyond the ******* and bottles theme. With this new "artistic era" we're in where people are trying to do things different...there have been plenty of "what the **** did I just watch" videos are reputable artists. 

What am I saying is...the AVERAGE video that comes out now is not just **** in the club.

ASAP?! :rofl:

ALL them dude's videos is drugs, women, good camera angles and gold stuff.

ASAP?!
roll.gif

ALL them dude's videos is drugs, women, good camera angles and gold stuff.
I was referring to Rocky specifically.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of what I mean when I refer to outside the box. I'm speaking specifically to the TREATMENT of the video...not it's elements.

To criticize a video for a song that's centered around what they're rapping about is a bit stupid IMO. That's like being tired of Gangster Movies that all feature guns, violence and murder.

Im speaking to the actual storyline or the way the video's shot. 

I was referring to Rocky specifically.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of what I mean when I refer to outside the box. I'm speaking specifically to the TREATMENT of the video...not it's elements.

To criticize a video for a song that's centered around what they're rapping about is a bit stupid IMO. That's like being tired of Gangster Movies that all feature guns, violence and murder.

Im speaking to the actual storyline or the way the video's shot. 

nobody criticized ANYTHING though. the whole discussion was about blowing smoke and women in videos.

ASAP's video's have that. that's all i'm saying.

All you gotta do is watch the roots "what they do" video and you'll realize the industry is a puppet master...

Back
Top Bottom