Official Jazz thread

Thanks man, I found a couple nice records I think he'll enjoy. They're used but still play with no problems

Anita O'day

Long intro but, give it a chance. Makes me think of Charlie Parker
laugh.gif

Weird video though
nerd.gif

Sonny Rollins is one of my favorite saxophonists. Paul Desmond played alto sax, he's also worth checking out. There are more of Rollins tracks posted on some of the earlier pages of this thread.

fac3 tak30v312 wrote:
Could someone recommend some saxophonist to check out

If you want to check out some of the young guys check out the following;
  • Jeremy Pelt. He has a new release called Soul that you can check out on iTunes.
  • Joshua Redman. I've been listening to an album of his called Momentum. It's more of a funk record but it's still really good. Has some guests ranging from Questlove to Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. One of his early albums called Mood Swing is a very accessable album for someone starting to listen to jazz. Both are on iTunes for you to check out.
If you want some older cats that are genius, check out these guys;
  • John Coltrane. He's the alpha & omega for jazz saxophone if you ask me. Don't go into to much of his later work because it's kinda deep for novices. Start with something like Blue Train or Giant Steps. Take some time & go through some of the pages of this thread & you'll find great stuff...
  • If you take Mo Matik's suggestion of Sonny Rollins, check out Saxophone Colossus. I also really like the soundtrack to the Michael Caine Alfie movie from the 60s that Rollins did. You can get it really cheap from iTunes for $5.94.
  • Joe Henderson, In and Out.
  • Hank Mobley. Soul Station is a really good album.
  • Dexter Gordon. Go! or Ballads.
If your just starting out listening to Jazz, start with Miles Davis Kind of Blue. It's a masterpiece featuring John Coltrane on sax. There is no better jazz album than this.

I love Yukimi Nagano's voice. I posted a couple of different songs with her in various threads today. Glad she does projects outside of Little Dragon. This is an electronica group, but has it's roots in Jazz. Kinda that Jazznova stuff I guess...

Was looking through some CDs I haven't listened to in a while & saw this. Nice interpretation of the Soul II Soul classic.

Another one from [re:jazz]. This is more that "Jazznova" style stuff but still appropriate for this thread...

Wow, I just found this on YouTube. A performance from Glasper's trio from 2010. It features Bilal too. I've said this before, not many trios can sound so lush & lyrical, but Glasper & his guys pull it off with ease...

Esperanza Spalding's new release Radio Music Society drops today. This vid was released yesterday for the song Radio Song.

Love that Blakey song Mo Matik. Nice to see someone's tryin' to maintain Wes' jazz thread. I'm tryin' to post different stuff to educate some heads. I mentioned Gilles Peterson before. Love this dude. Came across this vid which was part 3 (of 3 parts). My jaw dropped when he was showing his record collection. I wish he would've shown some titles.

People, please take some time to check out his podcasts. He plays some of the best music you will ever hear. The link to his site is here.

Great Cole Porter song. Little known fact about Dexter, aside from appearing in 'Round Midnight, Dexter also appeared in the 1990 Robert DeNiro/Robin Williams flick Awakenings as a patient in the hospital...Love this song. Always appreciated the Latin rhythms Dexter incorporated into his songs.

Good morning NT. Haven't posted in here for a minute. Postin' some 'mo Dexter Gordon. Love his version of this song. Especially when Freddie Hubbard comes in with his trumpet.

Back
Top Bottom