Official Jazz thread

Otis Brown - The Thought Of You - Part I (ft. Bilal)

Otis has been drumming for the likes for Terence Blanchard, Oliver Lake, Esperanze Spalding, Joe Lovano, & numerous others. His new release from Blue Note will have a ton of guest musicians like Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold (trumpet), John Ellis (sax), DC's Ben Williams on bass as well as others. Gretchen Parlato & Nikki Ross will sing on tracks also...

Heads should check out the release when it drops September 23rd...

Brandford Marsalis - Say Hey

I love the way his band blazes through this song... Terence Blanchard is playing that trumpet & the way Branford comes in then the way they blend in...

Idris Muhammad - Peace Of Mind & Wander

RIP to a great drummer/musician.

This cat lived an interesting life. Hung out with Aaron Neville & his brothers as a youth.

His first professional gig was at 16 drumming on Fats Domino's Blue Berry Hill. Dude's first touring gig was with Sam Cooke.

He was also a frequent collaborator with the likes of Ahmad Jamal, Gene Ammons, Pharoah Sanders, Grant Green, Lou Donaldson, Hank Crawford, Houston Person, Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler, Roberta Flack, & Grover Washington Jr.

His stuff has been sampled by the likes of Biggie, Tupac, Beastie Boys, Nas, EPMD, Eminem, Roni Size, Fatboy Slim, etc...

Last edited:
This dude is authentically 'Nawlins... Great story about him helping a young musician from his city who was robbed of his 'bone.

Trombone Shorty Replaces Boy's Stolen Trombone
By Associated Press | August 02, 2014 8:41 PM EDT

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A 14-year-old whose trombone was stolen at gunpoint has a new one thanks to musician Troy Andrews, much better known as Trombone Shorty.

Bill Taylor, executive director of the Trombone Shorty Foundation, said he delivered the instrument, which is engraved with the name "Trombone Shorty," on Saturday.

"He was like speechless. And I got Troy on the phone. As soon as I gave him the horn I had Shorty on the line and gave him the phone," Taylor said.

Anderson described the phone call in an emailed quote: "He was full of joy, thankful and happy. I think we were both very excited to speak to each other. He seems like a cool kid and I'm happy that after a situation like that, I can help to put a smile on his face."

The foundation didn't release the boy's name. The mother accepted the offer of the new trombone after receiving assurances that the boy's name wouldn't be released because she feared for his safety.

He was walking home from band practice Thursday night in the middle-class neighborhood around his school when a gunman jumped from a van and grabbed his shirt, demanding his trombone, New Orleans police said.

The boy yanked himself away and ran, but dropped the instrument when he heard gunshots. The trombone was delivered before Anderson went on stage Saturday at the Newport Jazz Festival, Taylor said. Trombones cost anywhere from $80 to thousands of dollars.

Trombone Shorty - Hurricane Season

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6206202/trombone-shorty-replaces-boys-stolen-trombone

Last edited:
Twin Danger - I Love Loving You & When It Counts, & Save It

I posted this in the chill music thread & thought this belonged in here too. This is Stuart Matthewman's latest side project. Kinda jazz/noir ish vibe. The singer's name is Vanessa Bley.

Matthewman is a long time member of Sade's band. In addition to playing guitar, piano, sax, & other instruments he's a producer too. He's also done some film scores, remixes (under the Cottonbelly moniker), & dub albums.

jouir!

So many good live performances in this channel...

Also, still blows my mind how you can control 4 mallets at the same time... 
laugh.gif

Charles Mingus - Memories Of You

Mingus playing the piano... I think I posted another track from this album. All the tracks were improvised...

Gideon Van Gelder - Victory Joy Dance

New album is really good.

In the past, I've always bragged about my god father's audio set up. Last year he had McIntosh amps, preamps, & a cd player from them. When I visited him this year while on vacation in Florida, he had an entirely new set up.

He befriended Ron Sutherland who co-founded of Martin Logan Audio that has since moved onto his own company.

Sutherland made some custom one off speakers (which his company doesn't even currently make) & some custom amps & pre-amps...

This is what a $50$60k audio only set up looks like... The music on this set up is unbelievable... Can't even imagine the clarity... He's waiting for a new CD player to come from the UK.

Last edited:
Robert Glasper Trio - Enoch's (Inaugural) Meditation

This hit my iPhone while on shuffle mode just now. I like his Black Radio releases but I hope he does a straight forward jazz album soon.

Joe Sample - Rio De Janeiro Blue (ft. Randy Crawford & Christian McBride)

RIP Joe... Just played this the other day...

Nilson Matta - Eu E O Meu Amor Lamento (ft. Gretchen Parlato)

I never get tired of her voice. Can never go wrong with Bossa Nova sounds either...

John Coltrane - Equinox

It's autumn here in the states... In honor of the turning of the season.

Branford Marsalis - As Summer Into Autumn Slips

Cannonball Adderley - Autumn Leaves

Van Morrison - Moondance

Always play this album when making breakfast or dinner on the weekends during the fall... Strikes the same mood in me when I watch the Peanuts Halloween special. It just makes the season complete for me. My god father is a Van Morrison fan & I used to hear this album playing in the fall at his house all the time.

Back
Top Bottom