**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I put Andre above a lot of rappers that people put in the "greatest" category off of personal preference for not only his content but how he showcased it and his unwillingness to be what people thought he should be. Thats one of the things that makes a true great to me personally. Dudes willing to go the other way when everybody is following the mold and trying to be the next ______.

I don't think I have a personal top whatever, I just recognize the rappers and artists who did it right. I enjoy flow, storytelling ability, sequencing, ability to not come off "sloppy", ability to hold my attention and more. At the end of the day it's all opinions and subjectivity.

Also I think we compare some of these guys to each other too much.

Last edited:

This is really it. We've been trained to always put something or somebody into a category instead of letting each artist stand on their own. The obsession with constantly comparing rappers to one another is really moot to me.

This is really it. We've been trained to always put something or somebody into a category instead of letting each artist stand on their own. The obsession with constantly comparing rappers to one another is really moot to me.
the genre has been rooted in competition from day 1. the comparisons aren't going anywhere, especially when the artist themselves are calling themselves the best. That begs the question, the best compared to who?

This interview. [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128079[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji][emoji]128079[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji][emoji]128079[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji][emoji]9994[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]

This dude gets it. Plain and simple.

Tetsuo & Youth was better than TPAB.

Jadakiss is a better rapper than 3k

Styles is better than Jada.

Last edited:
I was gonna say, hip hop/rap and our culture itself is extremely competitive anyway and I think it's related to the survival mentality passed down generation to generation x Eurocentric ideology we've learned to accept as normal (me me me I'm the best **** you if you don't agree). It's ingrained. Even Tribe, with all of their messages of unity and togetherness had their moments where they disrespected their competition. Especially Phife :lol:

But with that said, I think us as fans take the competitive aspect too far sometimes. I get the rappers themselves doing it, and fans sticking up for their favorites, but the conversations get tired sometimes because it really comes down to your personal perception of the artists you're listening to.

You can learn a lot about someone just by observing their favorites or their top list.

On a side note we really need a hip hop/black arts hall of fame so the ones deserving get their credit and recognition.

Dude drops an album barely a week ago and you guys are getting mad he won't give you another :lol:

Im not mad. Just dont like the bs when I see dude on video taken today say " i got more music for you coming soon"
then back track and say, nah i mean when I tour tho. If you dont know what you saying, dont say ****. THat goes for anybody.

the genre has been rooted in competition from day 1. the comparisons aren't going anywhere, especially when the artist themselves are calling themselves the best. That begs the question, the best compared to who?

I'm speaking on pointless comparisons. While debating Drake v Kendrick (for example) is entertaining, these two don't even make the same kind of music or pander to the same fanbase. We just compare the two based on the fact that they both happen to rap. That's where the comparisons stop, to some.

Somebody a page or two ago said that we need to start judging these guys based on abilities alone and that's a great point. We compare, compare, compare, until we start to deem some rappers "irrelevant" strictly because we're basing their success off of what they've done compared to whoever is on top at the time, instead of enjoying what each guy has to offer individually.

I can't think of any other genre of music who has fans so obsessed with putting one person above another.

Back
Top Bottom