Official Lakers @ Spurs 1/23 KCAL HD, ESPN

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

I don't know if it was Phil's idea or Kobe's, but why would we come out of halftime having Kobe shoot the vast majority of the shots when just the opposite was working in the first half? Why change what's already working?

I'm not blaming the game solely on the beginning of the third, but it was a HUGE momentum shift.

I'm not saying this because I'm a big Lamar fan, but he only touched the ball at the most TWO times in the first 6 minutes of the third. I was glad he pushed Finley for that foul because he had an advantage on him and still no one would pass him the ball. Our second and third options must be more involved coming out of halftime.

It seems like whenever we lose, we aren't rotating on defense and we leave guys wide open. This happens all the time.

22 turnovers to 8. Horrible.
Props to Turiaf and Sasha, the only guys that I think had a nice game.

this is from the la times
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers24jan24,1,6730974.story
Bryant scored 29 points on 12-for-27 shooting Wednesday and also had nine turnovers, although Coach Phil Jackson pointed to other unnamed suspects.

"No one seemed to want to step up, and they kept dropping it off in Kobe's hands to try and let him do one-on-one stuff," he said. "I'mnot going to fault Kobe at all. You have the turnovers, they are credited to him, but it was other things that went on there."

It wasn't difficult to pinpoint the targets of Jackson's comments.

Lamar Odom took only five shots until making two late in the game, with the score firmly in San Antonio's favor. He finished with 11 points onfour-for-seven shooting and also had 12 rebounds.

I told you guys
laugh.gif

Lamar will never learn to consistantly take good shots.

I say we should begin to look into trade options for him. From next season it's going to be Kobe-Bynum. Still it's the Spurs so I'm not at panicstations.

SAN ANTONIO 103, LAKERS 91
Lakers miss a great chance

34900165.jpg

After strong first half, they are dominated by Spurs in the final two quarters in 103-91 loss.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 24, 2008
SAN ANTONIO -- The unforeseen sometimes happens when the Lakers play here.

An inspirational, unexpected midseason victory a year ago. Derek Fisher's unforgettable "0.4" shot. And on Wednesday, there was the mystery of the disappearing team.

The Lakers controlled almost every facet in the first half but fell apart rapidly in the second half of a 103-91 loss to the San Antonio Spurs at AT&T Center.

They were undone by a careless third quarter in which they were outscored, 31-12, and also ripped out a page from an old playbook as teammates began to defer too often to Kobe Bryant.

If the first half signaled hope for the Lakers without Andrew Bynum -- halftime score: 54-45, visiting team -- the second half was a reminder of years past, if not their recent game in Seattle, when almost nobody wanted to shoot the ball.

Bryant scored 29 points on 12-for-27 shooting Wednesday and also had nine turnovers, although Coach Phil Jackson pointed to other unnamed suspects.

"No one seemed to want to step up, and they kept dropping it off in Kobe's hands to try and let him do one-on-one stuff," he said. "I'm not going to fault Kobe at all. You have the turnovers, they are credited to him, but it was other things that went on there."

It wasn't difficult to pinpoint the targets of Jackson's comments.

Lamar Odom took only five shots until making two late in the game, with the score firmly in San Antonio's favor. He finished with 11 points on four-for-seven shooting and also had 12 rebounds.

Luke Walton also continued to struggle on offense, scoring five points on two-for-three shooting in 35 minutes.

Jackson referred to some players as "bashful" after Bryant's 48-point, 44-shot night in an overtime victory last week in Seattle, although Bryant was not perturbed after losing to the Spurs.

"I'm not very disappointed," he said. "I think we did OK, outside of those last minutes there in the third quarter where they got a cushion. We played hard."

And yet, Bryant acknowledged he was concerned about a letdown after the Lakers dominated the first half.

"I had to tell them a little bit in the third quarter that it's not going to be easy," he said, smiling. "When San Antonio makes their run, you think they're just going to roll over and say, 'OK Lakers, come in here with two of your guys out and beat us by 20.' "

The telling sequence for the Lakers (27-13) came in the final seconds of the third quarter. Brent Barry made a three-point shot with 6.8 seconds left, intercepted a pass by Odom and made another three-pointer with 1.4 seconds left.

What was a four-point difference turned into a 76-66 Spurs lead.

"We didn't move the ball," Odom said. "We didn't challenge them. They were pressuring us and we backed down. We couldn't relieve the pressure, like our offense normally does."

It certainly wasn't like their mid-January victory here last season, when Bryant had 34 points, eight assists and six rebounds in a 100-96 victory that moved them to 26-13.

The Spurs (27-13) had been in a 4-5 rut, experiencing what Jackson called the "mid-season blues," and it appeared to spill over into the first half Wednesday.

They looked long in the tooth and short in awareness, while the Lakers looked nothing like a team playing without Bynum and Trevor Ariza.

Bryant again came out in playmaker mode, collecting 14 points and four assists in the first half. The highlight of the half: Bryant fed Ronny Turiaf cutting through the lane for a stirring dunk and a 43-33 lead with 6:48 left in the second quarter.

The Lakers led by nine going into the third quarter, but Bryant missed his first five shots, Kwame Brown missed two from close range, and the Spurs started out with a 14-0 run.

The Lakers were scoreless in the third until Fisher's layup with 5:39 left.

Tim Duncan was solid down low with 28 points and 17 rebounds, and reserve Ime Udoka added 18 points for the Spurs.

And with that, the Lakers fell to 2-2 without Bynum.

mike.bresnahan@latimes.com

Very frustrating game to say the least. I love Phil for rarely ever calling timeouts during a run to let the team learn how to work it's way thru stuff. I also like that sometimes he sees a point where he needs to teach and will call a TO on back to back possesions. He has a feel for his team and knows what hewants to get across to the players. But last night was a mistake on his part and it was big. If SA came out and blew the doors off us in the first quarterand just kept killing us, fine, let the runs go. But if you have them down 9, and you see Pop make a move to his number one guy off the bench by having himstart, and they get some mo goin, YOU HAVE TO STOP THAT MO. You have to, you have to nurse the lead as long as you possibly can to keep the confidence up inguys like Brown, and Luke, and LO. Kobe and Fish don't care, they know how the world works, but the others need that big brother sometimes. Phil let thisgame go. There were many factors, but he let it slip. Turiaf was ON FIRE in the first half, and saw exactly ZERO minutes in the biggest run of the game. That is a stupid stupid mistake.

Odom, is it just me, or when it's a 10 point game with 35 seconds left, I swear Odom is like a 90 percent 3 point shooter in those situations.
laugh.gif
Damn man. He had numerous mistakes. The bad pass at the end of the 3rd whereit quickly went from a 4 point game, to 10. That is terrible. 3 straight no reason fouls. Getting the ball taken straight outta his hands by Duncan. Not agood look.

Kobe forced it in the 3rd. He had WAY too many turnovers. He keeps wanting the refs to call fouls. He needs to let all that go. Sometimes teams get thebenifit, if you don't like it, drive to the hoop and throw the friggin ball thru their head into the bucket. They may not defend as hard after that. Kobefears no one, but not many other guys punched back last night. I saw a million times where a Spur just bullied a Laker around and they didn't fight back. They took it on the chin and limped away. No excuse for that.

It's just one game, and maybe we can watch tape of that first half over and over and gain a little confidence from what they learned. SA is a tough placeto play, they are a great team and know what they are doing. No shame in losing to them. But go down swinging. We can come back and have a good game againstDallas and get the good vibes goin again. Dallas is tough, but they aren't nearly as physical as SA so Odom and Walton and Brown and Sasha should be ableto get comfortable and focus on the game.

Good game Spurs, props to them.

Back
Top Bottom