Official LeBron X Thread Vol. 3

Ayi... you are correct in some aspects but let me correct a few points..

In the last 5 Years Sneakerheads or the Energy releases have started making up a LARGE portion of different signature lines.

Since the HoH inception (and its some what lack of execution on the concept) Sig lines have done well across the board on limited releases..

Just imagine...   15 colorways released on a semi limited basis giving every store a two size run limit except for larger stores.  This beats out doing 3 or 4 colorways on a much larger distrution of 4 to 5 size runs per store.

Although the Bron line has become somewhat saturated with colorways its giving options plus the Digital Division making money on NikeIDs.. Thats pure profit. 55 percent for Basketball 45% for Digital which Nike keeps all of it.

Now NSW is making money on the Corks as well.  That isnt going to Nike Basketballs bottom line.  So you have different divisions competing for dollars on the same signature athlete.

Nike Cortez used to be a California shoe, just like AF1 were (to avoid a DC/BMore/NYC argument) East Coast shoe.  Both have popularized into cross regional shoes.  Just as the Foamposite has.

Nike also makes a ton of money on their "Basement" Division which sells to stores such as *****, Modells, Kohls, and other non traditional Sporting Goods stores for families.  This is where you will see take Downs and shoes such as the infamous "Monarch" which has sold almost more than any other shoe in Nike's History.  Designed by Jason Mayden.

While you are right on the biggers buyers such as FTL and FA balking at prices they also get to RTV shoes unlike other buyers... so if it doesnt sell they can return it and get a credit it.

Some mom and pops cant afford to risk high inventory so they dont buy everything offered and Nike either doesnt produce it or lowers the price.

This is based on Consumer demand and prior buying habits on particular models.  Ex:  Zoom BB was a great shoe in booty colors.. Didnt do well so Buyers didnt want to touch the BB2 at high numbers... making the BB1.5 a Euro only release due to it being a Euro inspired shoe.  If that makes sense.

As to your point of using Corks to get you in the door.  This is a practice heavily used at Nike.. but its to get recogniztion of not only other limited or almost limited shoes but inline (general released shoes).

I think for the most part you made a lot of good points.. but Id hate for some folks to think thats the exact way it goes down.

Each One Reach One Teach One I say...
Sorry been a long day and I dont get to hop on NT like I used to....

While I can agree on some points I cant agree on them all.....Yes you correct..The HoH experiment...although NOT what it was intended to be (we've both agreed on this before) does produce a steady stream of income for PARTICULAR FootLocker locations....Which will eventually go away as FTL corp now has an annual percentage increase of mainline stores being upgraded to HoH by year end.....the dollars...always about the dollars... I believe the count is in the teens and should be in the 20's by year end with the expectation to be in the 30's to 40's by 2015...The "GIMMICK" so to say will have jumped the shark (dating myself with that term)

With that being said...the FNL of the world now are trying to figure out how to better brand there stores or separate them to also increase revenues....Lebron Lines are now evident..so is Kobe...and I hear Foams are on the way....

But again...I say that to say this....the QS or Limited colorways...while yes even with a double size run...are just that LIMITED...Ask your favorite Mom and Pops...it aint the Yeezys that keep the lights on...its the dudes that come in day in and day out copping the inline items....thats were the margins are...

To SneakerMane who I do respect because if anyone...you and KnicksSoFresh (who I havent seen in a min) have really been Lebron fans since what feels like day one....You have to understand...NT dudes get emotional....Nike dont care about you...this is a business....When I say kid in Topeka Kansas..its about the LOOOOOOOOONG money...I travel pretty extensive..and outside of the major cities..while yes there are malls...and yes there are sneaker stores...by NT standards...they pretty much SUCK....So what you telling me that all these stores lose money cause they dont carry CORKS???? Please half these people that live in ButtBack where ever never even seen a QS let alone have stock of them...Cause in ButtBack..you look ridiculous with sneakers made of Cork or Kicks that glow in the dark.......

NT Dudes go in and go out....Example....how many dudes are unloading there SB's on ebay these days (straight crackhead prices) cause they have moved on....And yes I realize that Nike is Nike...so with that..even if you buy from the left or right...its all the same pocket so either way Nike is good....But the truth is...the Sneakerhead Demographic is very FICKLE....Todays Cork will be yesterdays Tiffany which could be tomorrows Skytop (memba when Supra had some steam behind them???? What the hell happened there)

BUT...them damn Cortez keep getting cop'd....Running shoes continue to do well....

And to the homie who starting talking about AF1 then went into comparing them to Jordans....I stopped reading once he said Jordans....AF1 been around FOREVER...Gonna be around forever.....Only sneaker in Nike Arsonal that has zero dollars allocated to its advertising budget (with the exception of Clark's free sneaker budget...ohhhh sorry I meant the "influencer account budget"...lol.....bastards) From a business stand point...AF1 reigns supreme...Cortez aint far behind...Then I think its some off the whole joints like the Blazers....

Again...there is business...and then there is NT....sometimes they co-exist in the same space...but generally they are worlds apart...

Disagree homie.....

Nike Basketball..... aka Lebrons, Kobes, KDs with all their colorways & packs
Nike Sportswear.... aka Gentry & his many Posites, Kanye & his Yeezy's......& so forth.
Jordan Brand...... aka Jordan retros aka 88' 3s, Royal 1s, Jordan 11s & $250 Jordan 28s to name just a few.

Basically the HIGH PRICED & HYPED ****.....

Your telling me the demographic that Nike is pinpointing for that stuff is kids in Topeka, Kansas?

If that kid is a sneakerhead.....then yes.

It's sneakerheads that are buying those shoes either for retail or from the resellers who beat them to the punch.

Sorry had to quote this just to make sure I got it right....

EVERY sneaker you mentioned...with the execption of the internet will NEVER been seen in REAL life outside of the major cities...Nike is in the business of moving product...why devote you product simply to a small demographic that is willing to sleep in the street or make bots...or pay homeless dudes to RSVP or all this other NT nonsense to get it....

To put it another way....Toyota makes Lexus...and yes While the Lexus LFA is amazing...and I'd murder a ***** to get one....A.)Seeing 1 in the street will be like seeing a Unicorn (much like a QS) and B.) Toyota is making Billions pumping out Camrys and Corrollas....not LFA (not saying they aint making money but if they stopped they would still be okay)

Didn't someone here post pics of the corks being cracked I wanna see those pics again couldn't find em been looking the previous pgs

I know several years ago the Nike Air Force One was Nike's top selling shoe over all the other Nike shoes including Jordan. The reason for that was that at that time the Nike Air Force One was a very popular shoe almost as popular and Jordans with a lot of promotion from Athletes, Rappers (Nelly Air Force Ones song) and the back and forth at the time between Nike Air Force One vs Bape when the very colorful shoe theme was very popular also played a reason why, but the key thing was at this time while the Air Force One was getting all this promotion the average price for a pair of AF1 lows was $60 - $65 with special themed pairs running around $80 to $100. So basically you had a shoe that was just as popular as Jordans but for almost half the price. But now we've all seen a large drop in AF1 sales over the past years due to n=Nike trying to charge Jordan and Lebron prices for a shoe that was $65- $100. So baisically if there's ever a shoe that's very popular and endoresd by the right people, and at a good price point they will either out sell the higher shoe or become more popular because it's more obtainable. And Nike's marketing team just like any other smart successful company will target whatever demographic the most that's consuming there product.

There's a reason we get pictures of shoes that come out months down the line leaked into this forum, a reason we get stock photos of shoes, pricing information sometimes before the people who even work at the store know about it. Or if it it's so much complaining about a price increase that price is all of a sudden reduced. Like or not Niketalk does play a role in Nike's Marketing.

Generally I dont call people out cause I hate what NT has been come with all this nonsense...But Homie...what are you talking about....The minute you start comparing AF1 to Jordan...its like comparing US Steel to FaceBook Inc...

Stop it.

Last edited:
they got dunkmans (black) on ndc for 143 minus 20 % fsr. Couldnt decide on a 12.5 or 13. Usually inbetween these sizes i went with 12.5 hope i guessed right lol

In all honestly, I know you have to be politically correct especially since you are friendly and doing an interview with him. With that said, I think you gave him too much credit with your statement and I feel as tho if you swing enough, you'll make contact eventually is his strategy. There is a reason for the disdain towards him in the sneaker community. But hey, I don't know what he does daily and could be biased.
Trust me... Gentry knows how much stuff he's caught over the years from the Jordan side... and not everyone has home runs.. but when you look at the bottom line as far as revenue goes...  thats what counts up there.

He and Drew Greer created the Retro world at NSW and he took that concept to Jordan.  It flourished... people hate on hybrids and all that but they wouldnt do it if it didnt sell.

Again.. NSW was kicking Nike Basketballs *** for years... but lately took a hit...and since he's been there there bottom line has gone back up.

Too much credit... ehh.. I've been around many of them and in the scene... so Im not sure if Im being politically correct..but as we all know people are still buying retro's and some kids are still buying crazy colors... 

If he doesnt get that credit who does?  But on the flip side... again.. not everything can be a hit.. and he's had his share of things that didnt go right but many at the Swoosh can say that.

But these are the things we will be discussing as well.

Thinking about getting a pair of carbons after seeing them in person recently

Last edited:
if u HAD to pick between the red suede X or the denim X which one do u guys prefer cuz theres a possibility we might only get one of the two anyways, me personally hands down the red suede X goes hard but i keep thinkn those denim's might be more fasionable, like it'll go wit more outfits w/jeans . i cant decide but i lean towards denim but right wen i say tht im like na suede is HAM . wut u fellas think

and K23J prolly the best avatar ive ever seen, respect

if u HAD to pick between the red suede X or the denim X which one do u guys prefer cuz theres a possibility we might only get one of the two anyways, me personally hands down the red suede X goes hard but i keep thinkn those denim's might be more fasionable, like it'll go wit more outfits w/jeans . i cant decide but i lean towards denim but right wen i say tht im like na suede is HAM . wut u fellas think

and K23J prolly the best avatar ive ever seen, respect
Denims IMO.

Generally I dont call people out cause I hate what NT has been come with all this nonsense...But Homie...what are you talking about....The minute you start comparing AF1 to Jordan...its like comparing US Steel to FaceBook Inc...

Stop it.

AyiPapi, I agree with all you said in your previous posts. Your NT join date doesn't reflect your knowledge of sneakers at all - you've clearly been in the 'game' for long.

I think the cat talking about AF1 and Jordan product may have originally intended to speak about AF1 being trendy then and being not so trendy now but he just rambled on in all different directions.

honestly, the only color thats selling for 280 something is the "hype" colorway. the other colors can be had for 100-200 with patience.

thats y im dont complaining about prices. just have to use jedi mindtricks to get better prices
glasses.gif
Meh I hear you but I end up usually waiting too long and missing out.

Ala Lebron IX Elites Aways....SAT at my outlet at $180....then the one weekend I was out of town they dropped to I think $130. I come back. Alllllll gone
frown.gif
its about finding that delicate balance. footlockers had/have them for like 180 also... throw a certain coupon on top of that and you are near $100 below msrp. The timing isnt always obvious but if the price is solid for you then its time to seal the deal. $180 at your outlet was still $70 below msrp. Getting 3 colors below retail would have saved your $210 off the jump.
Def.

I got greedy to be honest. And it cost me in the end smh

lebron x denim or the lebron james dean ?  i think wen more pics come out of the denims more ppl will come around but the two shoes are jus nasty i would pay 250 for both the suede and the denim

Last edited:
Rock or someone else with info on these types of things:

Is there a steady increase from each of the previous models of LeBron's to now as far as sales go? I know there are other variables in play, for example public perception (he was loved at first, hated at Miami, now starting to be loved again), price points (AZGs were 110 lmao, miss those days...), and supply (including amount of colors released), that have changed from the first shoe till now, but let me re-phrase my question:

Does LeBron need Nike at this point, or does Nike need LeBron? If LeBron were to leave his deal whenever it runs out, would that be a bigger loss to him or to Nike? I know this is a little off topic but this kinda stuff is real interesting to me...

Any info would be appreciated, and those settings keep growing on me but I need to chill with the $180 drops here and there every other week it seems lol.

Hey bud, I'm not sure if this questions was answered correctly as I think you were asking about actual numbers of units produced right? You are indeed right that there weren't as many AZGs made as there are Lebron X and likewise the AZG retail price was also reflective of Nike's overall market share at that time. You go back to '03 and AF1, Shox sneakers and the Converse Weapon were hot on the streets, while the regular joes were rockin' skate shoes and the Euro F1 driving kicks. The VC III and the JB XVIII.5 and XIX were the most expensive ball kicks at the time and even they could be had at outlets on the low with some patience.

Does Nike need Lebron and vice versa - for the time being I'd say yes as both are benefiting tremendously from each other. 10 or 15 years down the road - who's to say? Nike's been careful to ensure that the Swoosh is really prominent on every single one of 'Brons sigs. To the casual buyer the X might just be a Nike plastic product with a big 'Air Bubble'. There's no 'Jumpman' or anything specific to make it a 'Lebron' product. The L23, LBJ signature, Lion et al can easily be replaced with Nike branding so if they ever had a fallout there'd be no issue retroing his kicks although the guaranteed lower quality would be sufficient enough to deter people from buying it. :tongue:

Regarding the $180 drops every weekend, all I can say is that it helps to be patient. Paying retail or reseller price is foolish when there's a hyped up sneaker dropping every weekend. Peep your local CL or Kijiji in the Fall season - right before the XI drops and you'll be amazed at what the 'beasts are willing to let their DS Xs go for! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom