OFFICIAL @MIAMIDOLPHINS 2016 PLAYOFFS! THREAD (10-6) :::: NEXT: WILDCARD Vs @STEELERS 1:00PM EST CB

I've been following the Dolphins moves from afar, not really buying into what this organization has done so far this off season, but I hear last night was mostly positive. I'll reserve my judgement until I see this coach and team during the regular season.

Who do the Dolphins look to pick up today IYO?

I personally want defense. Alexander, Jack, Ragland, Dodd....

But....

If Henry is there at 42, improved Oline, Landry/DVP/Stills/Cameron, Ajayi, do they finish off O with one more weapon for Gase to use?

Either way, board is NICE, we gettin a starting caliber player either way.

I like how we are on the same page 95% of the time.

Going to be another fun day.

I not sure of this Howard pick (wanted Alexander). I don't think we needed to trade up and give up our 4th neither

NFL Net's Mike Mayock: "He's got 4.5 speed. I think he's a really competitive kid too. And when he gets the ball in his hands, he's angry. He's got a little edge to him that I like. If you look at Miami, they will Tunsil in the first round, Howard, a long corner in the second, then they get two playmakers in the third: Kenyan Drake from Alabama and this kid right here. You've got to like what the Dolphins are doing."

Stills will be gone too. Miami switches and gives up two picks. These are all future picks.

Tunsil... starting at LG to be groomed into LT.
Howard... all the tools and is exactly what they are looking for scheme wise needs to be coached up.
Drake... will be a special teams stud to eventually share time with Ajayi.
Carroo... will look to replace Stills and is another Landry. Super competitive, catches everything, is what Stills is supposed to be.

Also... and don't forget... Miamk already got two starters with this draft in Kiko and Maxwell.

6 guys already with 3 more picks left.

DOLPHINS PICK DRAKE

10 p.m. update: The Dolphins took running back Keynan Drake, a player we've mentioned that Miami liked and brought to team headquarters recently. He averaged 6.3 yards per carry at Alabama in his career, 12.4 per catch and 26.6 per kickoff return.

"Intriguing," Mike Mayock said. "You look at him, and he's got value as a third-down, change of pace back. He's got value in the kick return game. Even has value in the coverage game as a gunner. So if I'm a GM, which I'm obviously not, and I'm not qualified, but I'm more intrigued with Drake than I am with Derrick Henry, because he can do more jobs."

Jamie Newberg's assessment on CBSSports.com: "This running back can bring a lot of versatility to an offense because of all the things he can do. First, Drake has good size and excellent speed. This is a quick athlete who can beat you up the middle, around the perimeter or in the passing game.

"Drake is one of the SEC's most explosive players. He has good vision and terrific feet. Runs with patience, allowing things to set up in front of him before he makes his move. He can see things evolve during the play and react quickly. Drake can accelerate to top speed quickly. He loves to find space and bounce things to the outside. Runs with good balance and decent power. What's impressive is that he consistently made explosive plays against some of the nation's best and fastest defenses.

"Drake has also shown the ability to really turn into a receiver out of the backfield. There are no linebackers that can stay with him and he's bigger than many safeties. He's a rare threat because he can get behind a secondary or take a short pass the distance.

"Drake has battled some injuries (broken leg and arm) during his time in Tuscaloosa. He has worked hard to get back on the field, but scouts will question whether he's injury prone and can take the pounding of the NFL.

"While Drake has good size, you would like to see him run with some more strength and power, especially in the tackle box. He has to show more durability and the ability to protect his quarterback with more consistency in pass pro and blitz pickup.

"Drake has a chance to be a very good pro, especially if he ends up with a franchise with a creative offensive coordinator. There are so many ways you can utilize his abilities in both the run and pass game. He may not be an every-down back in the NFL, but Drake is a guy who can target with 10-15 touches each Sunday.

"He's too explosive not to impact an offense and a guy that can break off big chunk plays. Look for Drake to test well and for his stock to rise leading up to the draft. He is a potential Day Two pick.

Young Hazel can play... he's expendable.
price will determine.

Still feel like these are current on field learning for future greatness.

Tannehill
Ajayi/Drake
Landry/DVP/Stills/Carroo
Cameron/Sims
Albert/Tunsil/Pouncey/Turner/James

With Case callin plays, adjusting playbooks every week, audibles, etc. :pimp:

Wake/Suh/Philips/Williams
Jenkins/Kiko/Misi
Maxwell/Howard/Jamar/McCain
Reshad/IAQ

MAYBE get Dion Jordan back, also have Andre Branch, Lippett, Ifo :nerd: Hewitt, and Michael Thomas as depth/fill ins.

Ifo, could be a real nice add if he can get healthy.

I like the offense, the offense has depth. The defense is good on the surface, but it lacks true depth. One injury here or there could really put our backs against the wall. And if we lose a Suh (Lord forbid), our chances to compete diminish greatly.

Dolphins traded back and just picked up 3 picks from the Pats.
Trade 5th.
Pick up two 6th rounds and a 7th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laremy Tunsil
What he brings:
Born to protect the quarterback, Tunsil is blessed with an outstanding combination of natural athleticism and length. He also has natural flexibility in his lower half to sink and anchor against power moves, displaying quality awareness in pass protection. Durability is a bit of concern, as Tunsil missed time because of injury in his first two seasons at Ole Miss. While he isn't a road-grading run-blocker, he has enough inline power and agility to cover up defenders and sustain blocks. One of the elite prospects in this class, Tunsil has the makings of a franchise left tackle for the next decade.

How he fits:
This appears to be more as a value pick as it wasn't as big a need for Miami after signing Jermon Bushrod in free agency. However, left tackle Branden Albert turns 32 and Tunsil has the talent to quickly develop into a franchise left tackle if he is able to maintain his focus on and off the field. This pick makes sure they continue to help provide protection to enable the opportunity for QB Ryan Tannenhill to take more steps forward. -- Kevin Weidl

Xavien Howard
What he brings:
Howard (6-foot, 201) has the potential to develop into a quality starter in press-man and press-zone heavy schemes. He has intercepted nine passes during the past two seasons, and he should continue to take advantage of the chances he gets to make a play. Howard ran well at his pro day, but his 4.58 40-yard dash at the scouting combine was underwhelming. Also, there are light concerns about Howard giving up late separation. Finally, there's room for improvement when it comes to stopping the run. -- Steve Muench

How he fits:
Miami traded for Byron Maxwell to help replace the void left by Brent Grimes, who left for free agency. However, the Dolphins still have a void to fill on the opposite side. Howard has the size, athleticism and ball awareness that fits well within defensive coordinator Vance Joseph's scheme, which utilizes a heavy dose of press-technique. -- Kevin Weidl

Kenyan Drake
What he brings:
Drake is a versatile back who could contribute in multiple facets. He lacks ideal power and is not an exceptional between-the-tackles runner. Drake, however, has good vision and a nice combination of lateral quickness and speed to make defenders miss and create yards on his own. The former Crimson Tide star also brings quality value in the passing game and on special teams as a returner. He comes with some durability issues and ball security concerns, but he will have a chance to find a home at the next level as a change-of-pace runner. -- Kevin Weidl

How he fits:
The Dolphins were unable to re-sign tailback Lamar Miller, and Jay Ajayi has a history of knee injuries. Drake doesn't project as a bell-cow back, but he has the talent to help ease the load for Ajayi and make substantial contributions as a rookie, if he can stay healthy. Drake is also versatile enough to help out on third down and in the return game. -- Steve Muench

Leonte Carroo
What he brings:
Carroo is a strong and physical receiver who has a natural feel for the position. He is physical and is a polished route runner who utilizes tempo and flashes some savvy to set up defenders to create separation. Carroo has one of the better sets of hands in this class. He has the size, strength and focus to win in contested situations. The former Scarlet Knight has the versatility to play outside the hashes and the toughness to play in the slot. He should add depth to a receiving corps with the potential to develop into a quality No. 3 receiver.

How he fits:
Carroo adds depth to the receiving corps and continues to surround QB Ryan Tannehill with weapons. He brings a strong and physical element to win in contested situations, similar to WR DeVante Parker. -- Kevin Weidl

Jakeem Grant
What he brings:
Grant is a pint-sized receiver with excellent separation quickness. He also is dangerous with the ball in his hand with a combination of elusiveness and speed. He will need to be a heavy contributor on special teams if he wants to make it at the next level. -- Kevin Weidl

Jordan Lucas
What he brings:
Lucas is a versatile defensive back who started his career at cornerback before switching to safety in 2015. He tested extremely well, and his athleticism shows up on tape, but he needs to continue to refine his instincts and become a more consistent tackler. Lucas is a developmental prospect who has the potential to become a versatile reserve and can add depth in a secondary while also contributing on special teams early in his career. -- Kevin Weidl

Brandon Doughty
Doughty led the FBS in passing yards the past two seasons and became just the 14th quarterback to eclipse the 5,000-yard mark for a single season in FBS history last year. However, he played in a quarterback-friendly spread scheme and he will need to get used to dropping from under center. Plus, he doesn't have great size and sustained a season ending knee injury (ACL) in 2011.

How he fits:
The Dolphins don't have a pressing need at quarterback but Doughty has the mental capacity and enough of a physical skill set to potentially develop into a serviceable backup in Miami's scheme. -- Steve Muench

Thomas Duarte
What he brings:
Duarte is an athletic hybrid wide receiver-tight end who improved every season at UCLA. He has identical measurables to Washington ******** H-back Jordan Reed and a similar game with the athleticism and size to line up in multiple spots and create matchup problems. Reed was a bit faster on tape, but Duarte is more polished as a receiver at the same point of their careers. The former Bruin has a chance to thrive in the passing game in a multiple offensive system that mixes up personnel packages and uses a lot of shifts and motions. -- Kevin Weidl

Coaches are impressed with what they've seen from Kiko at minicamp. Hopefully he can stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom