Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

^I know
laugh.gif
In a sport chock full of real life douche bags JJ's the douchiest of them all
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by DREdwards

that fight was boring i'm so glad i didn't buy it!!!

and i can't believe any of you said dan henderson has a shot at beating jones.. NO WAY he would be embarrassed

rashad would probably be his best competition, i would like to see that fight..

Huh? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The thing is Bones doesn't stay positive, when he gets insulted he plays "I'm the bigger man role" at that time, but then in his very next interview he says some backhanded insult about his opponent, with that little smirk of his. He has that "how dare someone insult me, talk down to me", he is not a good trash talker so he says these very passive aggressive things all the time, makes him come off like a punk. 
On the flip side look at GSP, a sincerely nice guy who is not a good trash talker. When someone insults him he really does be the bigger man and saves it for the ring.

There's some truth to that, but again, he's just 24. He's learning how to be the man.

GSP wasn't always so good on the PR side. There was a period of time when he was in his mid-twenties, when his English wasn't so good, and he wasn't so impressed with peoples performances. Now he's 30 and the sports biggest ambassador. I think Jones will get there eventually. 

I feel bad for Rashad, one of the most professional fighters out there, who will probably be part of the first main event I've ever seen where both fighters get booed on their way to the ring/octagon 
laugh.gif
. If the UFC wants to maintain the heel/face dynamic, they'll need to put Randy in someones corner.

Originally Posted by Burn916

The thing is Bones doesn't stay positive, when he gets insulted he plays "I'm the bigger man role" at that time, but then in his very next interview he says some backhanded insult about his opponent, with that little smirk of his. He has that "how dare someone insult me, talk down to me", he is not a good trash talker so he says these very passive aggressive things all the time, makes him come off like a punk. 
On the flip side look at GSP, a sincerely nice guy who is not a good trash talker. When someone insults him he really does be the bigger man and saves it for the ring.
There's some truth to that, but again, he's just 24. He's learning how to be the man.

GSP wasn't always so good on the PR side. There was a period of time when he was in his mid-twenties, when his English wasn't so good, and he wasn't so impressed with peoples performances. Now he's 30 and the sports biggest ambassador. I think Jones will get there eventually. 

I feel bad for Rashad, one of the most professional fighters out there, who will probably be part of the first main event I've ever seen where both fighters get booed on their way to the ring/octagon 
laugh.gif
. If the UFC wants to maintain the heel/face dynamic, they'll need to put Randy in someones corner.

Brah GSP apologized to Hughes backstage not 15 minutes later. Then went on to repeatedly apologize for that in every interview he did until the fight. Then proceeded to swag all over Hughes, that's being the bigger man. Even he though he was telling the truth, BJ was whooping that #$$ until he got injured and couldn't breath properly. 
GSP never talks down to his opponents or makes slick comments, and everyone that has ever met dude says it is not an act, he is a gentleman. I mean even people GSP has fired from his camp still talk highly of the man 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 where you ever see that at. 

I thing about Bones is that everyone can tell he is hiding part of his personality so he can play the good guy role, and people are seeing through it. Be you, learn from Mayweather, the good guy act gets you nowhere in the long run. When people meet you there will see how good a person you really are. 

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by quiickz

Please don't put this kid in the same sentence as Anderson Silva, he may be rolling through fights with ease but he doesn't have the same skillset.
Seems like a lot of people are upset by the comparison.  No one is saying he's at Anderson level, but his standup style and the way he's dominating contenders is similar.  Tall, lanky fighters who will throw crazy strikes at any time.  He even copied Silva's kicks to the kneecaps and thighs.  He uses elbows, kicks, knees, and clinches well.  He doesn't have the power shots or matrix kind of knockouts though.  Silva avoids getting hit by his head movement, jones is always on the outside because of his reach and people can't touch his chin.
seriously, these MMA newbs need to watch more (and I'm not referring to you shogun).

he's what Shogun was in Pride days. Give him more competition. If not Silva then at least put Machida where stylistically they differ a lot (lots of weird angles standing up and it'll be interesting on how he pans out on the ground with Machida). Jones already knew what to expect with 'Page and did what he needed to do - seriously, did people want him to scrap and get close? F no, of course he'll distance away and use his reach to his advantage. Chuck and Wanderlei made that mistake and we all know what happened to them. You leave that chin open and you'll catch a hook and it's lights out.

Other than Machida (at least he'd be forced to go on the offensive), Mousasi and ultimately Silva, I don't know who else interesting to put infront of this guy. They've put good wrestling-gNp dudes, they've put good stand up guys...so who's next? Another lay-n-pray dude who'll get picked on once they stand them up? You can quote me on this but he'll pick on Rashad the same way he picked on Rampage.

oh btw, I'm a huge GSP fan but I believe Silva will rip him a new one if they fight. that superfight is a dream but at the same time a nightmare to GSP.

I rode Jones balls too much already, but I just don't get what others dont see that I see. I also dont understand the hate for his personality but that's a different story and a thing I don't like touching on bec. MMA's slowly turning into WWE drama-wise (just fight for F sakes).  I rest my case.

Man, I don't think there's anyone at 205 that'll beat him. I can't see Machida jumping in and out on Jones like he does and Mousasi would get taken down repeatedly. I just wanna see him at heavyweight. The obvious size advantage he has on almost everyone at 205 is ridiculous.

^
Jones does tower over his opponents but he looks pretty lean.  He might naturally transition to heavyweight in a few years.  Right now he would be outweighed by 25 lbs and more (i'm assuming he cuts from 215-220).  He would look like a toothpick standing next to Ubereem.  This is reminiscent of when Silva and Machida would win and people wanted them to fight Mir.  LHW to HW is the most drastic change between divisions.

He looks untouchable now but the more he fights, the more people can break down his game.  It looked like Rampage figured out when he would throw all those spinning elbows and ducked all of them except I think the first one.  The Machida era was supposed to last a long time but it lasted 1 fight before Shogun showed people how to beat him.  Then Rampage was able to do it.

I just watched the fight cause I missed it yesterday.

- Koscheck is awesome, and I really hope he continues to kick +#*
- As far as Bones v Rampage. Rampage just couldn't get anything going, the spacing and size of Bones was too much. That being said, until the finish and a few moves here and there, Bones wasn't super impressive. He is great no doubt, but he didn't really showcase much here. Nothing made get out of my chair and say wow. The under flip at the end of round 2 I believe was uncalled for. His match with Rashad should be interesting, could be a wrestling match.

Who do you think Koscheck faces next?

Imo, Jones would easily be top 5 in Hw division right now. Whatever he gives up in weight, he makes up with speed, conditioning, athleticism, and top notch greco roman and freestyle wrestling. Also, he's much taller and longer than the entire division. The only thing is he doesn't have one punch power like the bigger HWs.

And, Rampage needs to start training year around and stay committed to being in shape, he looked old, slow, and fat last night. Shogun would easily run through him again.

And Koscheck should move up to 185 and make a living like Franklin, dude will never get a title shot again. I like to see Leben vs Kos 2, or Sonnen and him on the next Ultimate Fighter.

Rusty - again, I see what you're saying. In the instance with Hughes, GSP did in fact apologize. It was a hilarious situation in retrospect.  It's also a great example of how GSP today is much more comfortable, in comparison, as the face of the company.  
If we have to talk about "everyone who knows him"...Take it for what it's worth, but I know several fighters personally who think Jones is a great guy. Same goes with Rashad. Public perception is what it is. 

no one caught bellator? i just watched it (dvr) Joe Warren getting brutally KO'd by Alexis Vila
eek.gif
. and Warren crying like a little *##$@ after
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by J1GOKU

no one caught bellator? i just watched it (dvr) Joe Warren getting brutally KO'd by Alexis Vila
eek.gif
. and Warren crying like a little *##$@ after
laugh.gif
yes i was flipping through the two and caught the Warren vs Vila fight.
laugh.gif
@ Warren proclaiming himself as the "baddest man on the planet" during the pre-fight video, and then him getting KO'ed and crying when he woke up.

Diego and Ellenberger make sense. They're building up Rory. He's supposed to be on the 140 card against Ebersole.

I think Kos moves up to 185.

The only problem is kos knows he won't get another title shot anytime soon.  So if he beats a few contenders it gets him nowhere.  He'd be gatekeeper status and stop the younger fighters from moving up in the ranks.  Fighting at 185 is his best option for now.  Make some money and have interesting matchups.  He said he wanted to fight Leben again.  It'd be nice to see Chris break josh's jaw.

I never understood the Koscheck hate. The guy's in the top 5 at 170, but he just couldn't beat the champ, TWICE. So why not make yourself a big draw and get paid? Fighters get paid off of the amount of money they bring in. I could understand if he wasn't finishing fights or losing all the damn time, but who's beaten him in the last FIVE YEARS?

GSP (twice), Thiago Alves, and Paulo Thiago. I'd say that's a pretty nice resume, considering he's 11-4 in that span, will fight ANYONE, and takes fights on short notice pretty regularly.

And I agree. 185 is the move. More $, better matchups and if Anderson retires or moves weight classes, open belt!
laugh.gif

was very disappointed with this fight.. so glad i didn't pay to see it.. i thought jones would have been a little more dominant after seeing the way he beat shogun

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Don't like him as a person.
why?

I like both fighters but I'm a Rampage fan for life. Too bad this guy just danced tonight
tired.gif

oh btw, wishful thinking: Silva V Jones (although I do want to see JJ fight Machida first)
Silva has said many times that he will not move up in weight.
Like has been said, Jones comes off as a douche.  He comes off holier than thou.  He wasn't going to say anything going into the fight with Rashad?  Get over yourself.

And listening to Rogan and Goldberg made me hate him even more.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's great in the cage.  I just want to see him lose.

The whole time I kept thinking "Just ask him out already, Joe"

Who cares about Jones' personality. The guy is an elite MMA fighter. I'm not a huge fan, but he is on an absolute tear right now. I think Hendo and Phil Davis have the best shot at beating him. I don't think Rashad has a chance, the only way he can win is by taking Jones down, and I don't think he can try without taking damage. Granted, he's more explosive than Bader, but Bader had no success with the wrestling.

The next Jones fight ain't for a while anyway, just read he broke his foot? Shelved for 6 months.

No one should be in the same sentence as A Silva. I'm a GSP guy, and I think they're both top two. But the way Silva finishes separates them. He KO'd Belfort in the opening round. He was toying with him and Okami (and Franklin, Griffin, etc.). I mean, no one really gives the guy a challenge (a juiced up Sonnen doesn't count). I think the only challenge left for him is to move up. Bisping? Please. I wouldn't mind seeing Stann vs. Silva though.

GSP is in a similar situation, although Condit, Diaz, and Ellenberger are all legit contenders. GSP has more fights left at WW, Silva? He's running out.

I want to see Kos vs Diaz. Kos vs. Ellenberger would be interesting, but at this point that almost seems like a step down for Ellenberger. Maybe it is time for him to move up.

^ i don't think Jones broke his foot. he said in the press conference that it was just really sore.

And free UFC title fight this weekend.
pimp.gif
. I hope Mighty Mouse pulls the upset on Cruz. MM via decision.

^ even if Jones didnt break his foot, CAC put him on 6 month injury suspension. Hopefully he gets cleared to fight before that.

Offtopic:

Does anyone have a link to the ADCC match between Werdum and Vinny? much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

I hope Johnson beats Cruz too, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

His fight with Torres before was so-so, and highlighted judging issues in MMA. He took Torres down, but he couldn't do anything with it and Torres was actively going for subs the whole time. It's not Johnson's fault he won, but I don't think he showed he was clearly better than Torres - and Torres didn't show he was better either.

Back
Top Bottom