Official NBA 2K18 Thread | Available Now

Comduklakis;2049015362 said:
]It's that time of the year where everyone gets up in arms over missing a layup or an open three. That time of year where people want patches because they had a hand in the face of a shooter and the shooter still made the shot.

Reality is NBA players make lower percentages of shots in the paint than most people know, hit a lower percentage of open threes and a higher percentage of contested shots. Here's some data on why 2k is more realistic with this stuff than many players think:

Here's a site that allows you to look at shooting percentages and shot frequency based on how close defenders were. If you look at threes with defender within 2 feet, most teams still hit between 20 and 30% with a few more successful and a few less.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/shooting/#!?Season=2016-17&DistanceRange=By Zone/

Expand out and have a defender within 2-4 feet and the entire league bunches between 25% and 35%.

Expand out to open (defender 4-6 feet) and everyone is still between 30-40%. Most teams bunched around 35%

Expand out to Wide open and the top team is STILL at 42%. It's is simply a myth that NBA players drop an open 3 with a extremely high rate of accuracy

The best wide open 3 shooter in the game was Jason Smith at 65%. The elite shooters? Korver 55%. Redick 54%. Klay Thompson 47%. otto Porter 46% Kyrie 42%

On the flip side with tight coverage (not enough very tight 3s taken to be really statistically valid on a player by player basis) you have Harden taking 4 of these a game and hitting 32%. Steph at 30% Lillard and Klay at 37%

Top shooters hit 3s with tight D and miss 3s that are wide open.

If you look at shots within 5 ft, the highest team in the league hit 65%. That isn't just drives either, that includes easy fast break points.

Elite players at attacking the rim shoot the following within 5 ft:

Lebron 69%
Westbrook 57%
Isiah Thomas 53%
Lillard 49.5%
Harden 58%
Wall 57%
Derrick Rose 48%

Cousins 56%
Griffin 69%
Anthony Davis 67%
DeAndre 73%
Towns 65%
Nurkic 45% (just to illustrate someone who struggles in traffic)

NBA players miss shots. Lots of them. And make tough shots Lots of them. So should 2k players.

Well said

"there's nothing wrong with the game you're all just wrong."

"You must not watch enough basketball"

You could be a basketball fan for 20yrs, been playing 2k since AI was on the cover but if you cite an obviously flaw in 2K the capes get tied to strangulation levels and the heroes come out :rofl:

"there's nothing wrong with the game you're all just wrong."

"You must not watch enough basketball"

You could be a basketball fan for 20yrs, been playing 2k since AI was on the cover but if you cite an obviously flaw in 2K the capes get tied to strangulation levels and the heroes come out :rofl:

whats funny is its from guys who dont even play the online part of the game they play the CPU with fixed sliders down or up i forget lol.

i got no room to talk this year cause i still have yet to purchase it but it was the same **** last year. ive easily played over 1k games online and only after about 10 to 11 updates did the game finally start working good.

but it was still the same ones who didnt touch the online saying it was fine and that i dont watch enough basketball lol

RE: Layups

My sliders are always LOWER than the "Online Settings" or out of the box, so if anything I should be seeing what yall complain about at a much higher clip.

But of course, Online and Offline are two different beasts.

Notice I only get into the missed layups discussion each year, the rest of the game, don't really get into.

From Da_Czar
Shots for AI are not solely based on tendencies. They are based on ACE and ACE is dynamic. We like to wait until teams play together before assuming how they will play.

The default for OKC is that PG and Westbrook share touches but depending on matchups and mismatches and hot cold streaks they could dynamically be altered.

Also Westbrook is the pg he will naturally have more opportunities to call his own number.

So if Westbrook has a huge mismatch or just a mismatch and he gets it going the game will dynamically give him more touches.

And we have no idea how these teams will actually play. Once we have a large enough sample size ACE will be updated. But it will still be dynamic so every single game doesn't play out the same regardless of matchups and all that stuff I mentioned before.

We could hard-code it so x always gets x amount of shots but that wouldn't play very smart once you notice that pattern.

When you make something dynamic you inherently give up some control.

A probable reason for the increased shots for Andre is the defense is most likely to gap or leave him. Especially AI defenders when help or rotations are needed.

His spotup 3 point tendency is more important that the default point tendency in determining how many 3's he is shooting. Also as I said how is the defense playing him ? These are all factors. The default 3 point tendency has more to do with spacing than shot attempts because those were made more situational as I mentioned in the blog.

A lot of work and testing was put into the tendencies and I'm certain there are some that need to be adjusted but overall they are much better than they have ever been.

Also post scorers are difficult to get the ball to because they plays ran for them can branch because of defensive lapses or pressure. Also post plays are longer which means more time for something else to open up.

thats pretty much what it really comes down to Online and Offline are two different beast

i like what DC does when he tunes up the sliders and puts work in vs computer to understand the game better but for me personally that is boring, im an online type guy always will be.

Online will have the lag sometimes which can limit you to what you really want to do by being delayed

Those in the paint percentages are misleading. People usually complain about missing open layups or not being able to finish with obvious size advantages. Those guys are shooting 50-60% cause a lot of those attacks are with a big man contesting or the paint flooded.

Those in the paint percentages are misleading. People usually complain about missing open layups or not being able to finish with obvious size advantages. Those guys are shooting 50-60% cause a lot of those attacks are with a big man contesting or the paint flooded.

Not at all my man. People complain about simply missing the shots. Rarely do you see them mention it in the context of size advantages.

And you don't think people overstate how often THAT situation is being presented in the game?

That is why I always say people should just post videos so there isn't any guesswork in how often things happen vs. how often people think they happen. Because if you think someone happens alot, you look for confirmation bias.

DKVGp4QVwAECWz5.jpg

thats pretty much what it really comes down to Online and Offline are two different beast

i like what DC does when he tunes up the sliders and puts work in vs computer to understand the game better but for me personally that is boring, im an online type guy always will be.

Online will have the lag sometimes which can limit you to what you really want to do by being delayed

Honestly, this is one big reason why I stopped playing online. You have to have two different play styles, one for online vs. offline. The fact that this game has ALWAYS lagged annoyed me, so I said forget it. I will play the occasional game vs. someone on here/OS or a friend but for the most part, I prefer the control of MyLeague. So I leave the Online version of the game alone.

So each time I play the game, it gets better and feels better.
And I always kinda experienced this feeling in play now mode when I first tear the plastic off and play the new version but I usually play enough play now games to get rid of the "new feel".
This year I didn't; I only played two play now games.
I think I was itching to play my neighborhood; heavy mixed with Lavar and BBB, etc being on there. lol
But in all honesty, it's been better and easier each time.

Back
Top Bottom