Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

New Balance is releasing 998 Horween Leather shoes for.....$400.00 on October 1st

Who is actually going to pay that price for these?

I find this actually pretty laughable (even taking into account the premium nature of the leather)

Plus, the bottom pair is pretty ugly IMO
It may be the pictures, and I know some shoe trees will do these justice regarding shape, but what the hell? These are Asia's cousin made if this is the shape they will have. I am interested in getting a pair for the fact this leather will last me a lifetime. Being an avid dress shoe collector, I know what Horween leather is all about. As for the $400 price tag, this price tag is pointed directly at us, the ones who are a part of this community and lifestyle. An average Joe isn't going to buy these, period. If we pull the trigger on these, that will let NB know that some of us are willing to drop almost 50% of $1,000 on a pair of sneakers. Thoughts?

My thoughts are I'm not paying 400 dollars for NBs unless I can wear em, beat em into the ground...and sell em for the same price in a few years lol

Hey all, might be a stretch, but I'm in need of some NB boxes. Does anyone have some extras laying around? I'm a size 8, but I will take any size. I spoke to a rep at NB and they cannot give me any extras. Thanks fam

Look what just came in! 
roll.gif
I don't know about you guys but I'm really happy with these! 

Just got my concrete jungles in too (I'm so weak). Hmmm my first impression is actually really nice. But this colorway is sorta out of my comfort zone. Dunno how I'm gonna proceed.

It may be the pictures, and I know some shoe trees will do these justice regarding shape, but what the hell? These are Asia's cousin made if this is the shape they will have. I am interested in getting a pair for the fact this leather will last me a lifetime. Being an avid dress shoe collector, I know what Horween leather is all about. As for the $400 price tag, this price tag is pointed directly at us, the ones who are a part of this community and lifestyle. An average Joe isn't going to buy these, period. If we pull the trigger on these, that will let NB know that some of us are willing to drop almost 50% of $1,000 on a pair of sneakers. Thoughts?
thoughts are we must all collectively not buy it and wait for the discount :tongue:

picked up 997GY on newbalance.com y/d for $153 shipped.  woot!

20% off w/ 20APPRACC then i used another 10% off Plus free shipping which actually stacked!

144 + $9 tax. 

glad i didnt bite on an ebay pr i was watching for $250
Thanks for the hookup, been looking for a US5 for my gf.

I'd buy these in a heartbeat, but only with a solid return policy

The leather may last but the soles will not last, and then you get to a point where you have to resole them if the leather outlives the soles of the shoes, which is quite the chore.

At least with dress shoes there are companies that will offer this service for you if you have worn your shoes a lot and need to have them fixed up, but I doubt NB is going to start putting together a program where you can send your shoes back to them to have them returned with brand new bottom soles and fixed to when they were brand new.  These are, after all, sneakers; they are not dress shoes.  This is not Alden we are talking about here, after all (or the many other high end shoe companies that will fix up your older dress shoes if you wear the soles out)

Another shot of the Horween joints. They look really good, but they remind me of a sick pair you'd cop on discount from David Z about 10-12 years ago... Not today for $400.

My sister bought her boyfriend 997NVs after seeing my 997GYs. So sad to see them so beat up, I snuck a feel on the suede and it's just [emoji]128553[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji]

Like others pointed out before, brands have done Horween leather shoes for less than half that price. There's just no way to justify it.

On top of that, the shoes look like ****, so I can't be but so bothered.

Back
Top Bottom