***OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SEASON THREAD*** (13-4) - Patriots @ Broncos - Sun 3:05PM EST - Bra

This is how close it came to safety Devin McCourty not returning to the New England Patriots: As the negotiating process was winding down Sunday, McCourty and head coach Bill Belichick had a phone conversation in which McCourty thanked him for a great five years with the franchise.

Unfortunately, McCourty told him, it looked like he was ready to move on. The Eagles, Giants and Jaguars were the teams making the strongest push, with the Titans also in the mix, and there was a deal with another team that McCourty was ready to accept.

It was at that point that Belichick and the Patriots stepped up to levels they hadn't reached in the process. Their final offer of five years and $47.5 million, with $28.5 million in total guarantees (a record number of guarantees for a safety), swayed McCourty's decision at the last moment.

Damn this one of the rare times that BB stepped up on the financial front,I'm happy in this instance. Gonna need his leadership on defense with big Vince gone. Imagine what that Jags offer must've looked like :x.

Hopefully the team can do the same with Revis

Last edited:
Damn I'm surprised as hell :wow:

Dmac is worth it, a real professional. I don't see him as someone whose play would drop off after getting the big money. BB and Kraft opening up that pocketbook :pimp:

Now go get Revis :nerd:

Last edited:
:smh:

I want them to just keep him on board. Pay the man his money and keep him on a low # for this year. Let dude walk next year

Just as the article says, though, these CB/DB contracts are wild. Browner is now worth more than his current number.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know why they'd let him test the market given the current lack of options at cb,we'd almost definitely lose him :smh:

Last edited:
Don't know why Browner would be the one needing to get cut/take a paycut when the same could be done with Arrington...

Last edited:
getting too cute with browner. unless it's part of some bigger plan, the hell they doing?

yeah man Browner didn't even play the whole season.
He also had some very costly penalties that almost cost losing games.

The 2014 Patriots do not win the Superbowl without Brandon Browner.

I'm really not gonna be happy if he ends up being a casualty of all this ****. Makes very little sense when you're talking about a valuable complimentary piece to your overall scheme on D who is under a VERY team friendly contract as it is.

Granted he had a 4 game suspension, but did y'all know he made something like $2.6M for the entire last season? Think about his real worth and compare that to all these numbers you've been seeing recently. I'd say **** a paycut too or some other nonsense from my scheduled raise these next 2 seasons.

Don't know why Browner would be the one needing to get cut/take a paycut when the same could be done with Arrington...
Real talk.
mean.gif
Making damn near almost the same money next year.

But Arrington's seniority w/ the team + "versatility" probably gives him the edge...
eyes.gif

On the positive side though, I'm happy they're retaining D-Mac. Probably a little bit overrated now, but I respect what he brings to the team and think he's solid at his job.

I'm not stressing too much about Revis. There's enough mutual interest in a return and all the small indicators look good right now. Which to me means Belichick/Kraft know they can't be ******* around this time with lowball under-market offers. Now if Woody wants to YOLO it out and throw down a blank check, then it is what it is. Can't fault anyone for that.

Last edited:
browner was a game changer for us on defense. finally some size. finally a guy that can jam and frustrate bigger receivers. granted, revis allowed for browner to get the help he needed in order to play his style, but i agree 100%. he was a HUGE part of our success this past year. makes no sense to cut him loose.

Last edited:
Revis + Browner combination was :pimp:

Loved both of them together in the secondary. I would be pissed if it was just a one year thing though :smh:

yeah man Browner didn't even play the whole season.
He also had some very costly penalties that almost cost losing games.

Might seem that my comment took Browner's contributions for granted. Yes i agree that without him Pats wouldn't even get to the super bowl. He gave them that toughness that we needed.

Supposedly Giants are pursuing Vereen tough, we're looking at Roy Helu as a possible contingency

As far as Browner he was definitely a big part. Probably one of my favorite free agent pickups in a while just off the attitude, energy, and physicality he brings to the defense :pimp:. I feel like we lost some of that when we parted with Spikes.

Last edited:
Yeah today at 4 is the deadline. Well probably see Revis cut by then to save cap room. The team would still be negotiating with him just that now he could bring them back other offers to match.

Man I'll be pretty dissapointed if Browner ends up getting cut when there are other options to be cut that would be less impactful. I'll be devastated if we only had that revamped secondary for just one season :smh:.

He added that physical presence we'd been missing for a while.

:lol:

4 years $16 mil for Vereen with NYG.

On to Roy Helu?

Yea no way the team was matching that :lol:. Roy Helu sounds like a good alternative but I think they should give James White some reps at Shane's old spot,he could be a good fit and he knows the system already.

Last edited:
Damn Brady can't pass the Blount no more 
ohwell.gif

heading to AZ 

its like a curse to win the Super Bowl cuz we losing pieces man smh 

Back
Top Bottom