OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Irvin Says Cowboys ‘Will Not Be Better Than 8-8′ Without Dez Bryant
53 mins ago
by Jesse Reed
2 min read

074-810x388.jpg

With the threat of an extended holdout looming, former Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin has weighed in on the Dez Bryant contract situation.

And, not surprisingly, he’s squarely in Bryant’s corner.

As a guest of the “Rich Eisen Show” on CBS Sports, Irvin spoke candidly, as he is wont to do:

“Who really has the leverage here? You think you’re going on that football field without Dez Bryant? I was reading the articles today buddy. I was reading about how great Terrance Williams is doing. All that stuff is for Dez to read. It’s easy to do great in minicamp.

“But if you think you see better than 8-8 without Dez Bryant, I’m telling you, you will not see better than 8-8 without 88.”

Irvin is familiar with this type of standoff.

Remember, Emmitt Smith held out of training camp and the first two games of the 1993 NFL season because Jerry Jones played hardball with him about a new contract. The Cowboys started the season with a record of 0-2 without the Hall of Famer, and Jones caved to Smith’s demands.

Bryant is as important to the success of the Cowboys now as Smith was back then, and Irvin knows it. With 41 touchdown receptions the past three years, one could argue he has eclipsed Calvin Johnson and A.J. Green as the league’s premier receiver.

Could the Cowboys move the ball on offense without him?

Sure.

Quarterback Tony Romo is a seasoned veteran who could probably pass for 4,000 yards in his sleep.

But moving the ball between the 20s only gets you so far—it’s scoring in the red zone that wins games…and championships.

The All-Pro receiver has made his intentions known. If he doesn’t receive a contract before the deadline on July 15—that’s today, folks—then he’s going to hold out of preseason and even skip games until he signs the long-term contract he desires.

Dallas needs to take this threat seriously and pay the man what he’s clearly worth.

Oh wow. I don't know Emmitt Smith held out during regular season. Did the Cowboys win the Super Bowl that time?

I don't blame the Cowboys for not trying to give Dez too much money but they have to keep their best playmarker at any price.

As Training Camp Nears, Titans Not Budging on Marcus Mariota’s Contract
12 hours ago
by Vincent Frank
3 min read

USATSI_8582246_168380823_lowres1-810x540.jpg

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft has yet to sign his rookie deal. This is something the NFL attempted to avoid by coming to terms on a rookie wage scale with the NFL Players Association during the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement.

It’s also something that is much more convoluted than simple salary details.

The Tennessee Titans want Marcus Mariota to take offset language on any deal he signs with the team. Offset language itself protects franchises from having to pay out guaranteed cash to players who end up leaving the organization prior to their rookie deals coming to a conclusion. It prevents the player from collecting two checks if he’s cut by his original team.

What doesn’t seem to be a major issue, especially considering the Titans view Mariota as their franchise guy, appears to be the hold up in negotiations.

Interim Titans President and CEO Steve Underwood clarified the team’s stance on negotiations just recently. And it doesn’t look like the organization is going to budge:

“We’ve always had offset language in our player contracts. It’s nothing new,” Underwood said, via ESPN.com. “I think it is important where a high first-round draft pick is concerned, because it’s the precedent. Everything that we do is precedential for the next round of contracts.”

“So keeping the offset in place is something we want to be able to do going forward. And the minute you back away from the contract principal then you no longer are able to assert it going forward.”

The issue with this stance is that Tennessee’s philosophy doesn’t fall in line with other organizations around the NFL. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed to terms with No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston the day after selecting the quarterback back in May. Despite a wide array of off-field issues, that deal did not include offset language.

Considering Mariota is seen as a safer bet from a character standpoint, most would draw the conclusion that the Titans are being bullish here. And considering they selected him with the second pick, the team isn’t showing a ton of confidence in Mariota’s ability to succeed over the long term.

With training camp set to start two weeks from Thursday, time is running out here. The Titans simply can’t afford to have Mariota sitting out as they prepare to rebound from what was a disastrous 2014 campaign. If the quarterback isn’t signed by the start of camp, it’s going to set him back a big way heading into his rookie season.

I mean they already lost Murray, I don't see them overcoming Dez missing games, gotta agree with Irvin on this one.

Jim Fassel Hints the NFL Could Be Planning a ‘Spring League’
16 hours ago
by Jesse Reed
2 min read

alg-jim-fassel-locomotives-jpg.jpg

The NFL has long attempted to establish a developmental league, but since the failure of NFL Europe there hasn’t been a replacement.

That may soon change, according to former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel.

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Fassel dropped this bombshell:

Little bit of breaking news from Jim Fassel. "Don't be surprised if there was a very good spring league opening next year in the NFL"

— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) July 14, 2015

The NFL desperately needs a platform where young players can learn the pro game. The way the league is set up now, under the new CBA, snaps are extremely limited and teams cannot give developing prospects the time they deserve.

Given the overwhelming flood that leaves the college ranks every single year, there are certainly enough talented young men to fill a league with eight to 12 teams.

Of course, the league will only put a developmental league together if there is profit in the venture. With so much year-round hype surrounding football these days, though, it seems like there would be a profitable way to make it happen.

The benefit of a “spring league” isn’t hard to imagine.

More than just developing players, though, the league would open up opportunities for young coaches, trainers and personnel men to earn their chops. The NFL as a whole would certainly see an upswing in talent, which benefits the bottom line.

All this conjecture means nothing if Fassell is just blowing smoke. Being the plugged-in NFL man he is, however, there’s likely substance behind his comment. He was a driving force behind the UFL a handful of years back and is passionate about coaching up young players.

Michael Irvin Says Cowboys ‘Will Not Be Better Than 8-8′ Without Dez Bryant
53 mins ago
by Jesse Reed
2 min read

074-810x388.jpg

With the threat of an extended holdout looming, former Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin has weighed in on the Dez Bryant contract situation.

And, not surprisingly, he’s squarely in Bryant’s corner.

As a guest of the “Rich Eisen Show” on CBS Sports, Irvin spoke candidly, as he is wont to do:

“Who really has the leverage here? You think you’re going on that football field without Dez Bryant? I was reading the articles today buddy. I was reading about how great Terrance Williams is doing. All that stuff is for Dez to read. It’s easy to do great in minicamp.

“But if you think you see better than 8-8 without Dez Bryant, I’m telling you, you will not see better than 8-8 without 88.”

Irvin is familiar with this type of standoff.

Remember, Emmitt Smith held out of training camp and the first two games of the 1993 NFL season because Jerry Jones played hardball with him about a new contract. The Cowboys started the season with a record of 0-2 without the Hall of Famer, and Jones caved to Smith’s demands.

Bryant is as important to the success of the Cowboys now as Smith was back then, and Irvin knows it. With 41 touchdown receptions the past three years, one could argue he has eclipsed Calvin Johnson and A.J. Green as the league’s premier receiver.

Could the Cowboys move the ball on offense without him?

Sure.

Quarterback Tony Romo is a seasoned veteran who could probably pass for 4,000 yards in his sleep.

But moving the ball between the 20s only gets you so far—it’s scoring in the red zone that wins games…and championships.

The All-Pro receiver has made his intentions known. If he doesn’t receive a contract before the deadline on July 15—that’s today, folks—then he’s going to hold out of preseason and even skip games until he signs the long-term contract he desires.

Dallas needs to take this threat seriously and pay the man what he’s clearly worth.

Oh wow. I don't know Emmitt Smith held out during regular season. Did the Cowboys win the Super Bowl that time?

I don't blame the Cowboys for not trying to give Dez too much money but they have to keep their best playmarker at any price.

Yup, we started out 0-2. Got washed by the Deadskins opening night then lost to the Bills by 3 the following week.

Emmitt returns Week 3 and we proceed to win 12 out of the next 14 on the way to a blowout win over the Bills in the SB.

Memories :frown:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
From @Rand_Getlin & me: #Cowboys increased their offer to Dez Bryant beyond $13M, making a strong push. Bryant is more optimistic than ever

TDubs played with a broken finger most of the year and was very clutch in the playoffs and whenver Romo left the pocket. But no, he would not feast if it weren't for Dez.

Last edited:
@AdamSchefter: KC's Justin Houston signed a 6-year, $101M deal that includes $52.5M GTD, richest Chiefs' deal in history, richest LB deal in NFL history.

Get that money, Justin! I'm glad the Chiefs did the right thing and locked him up long term.

I am baffled that the Seahawks are going to make Russell play out his rookie deal

It's rumoured that he wants a contract that will make him the highest paid player in the NFL, that's where the impasse is.

They should have restructured his contract after the 2013 season. If dudes like Tanneyhill and Newton are getting paid, you know Russell Wilson is going to be paid more.

Last edited:

I am baffled that the Seahawks are going to make Russell play out his rookie deal
It's rumoured that he wants a contract that will make him the highest paid player in the NFL, that's where the impasse is.

They should have restructured his contract after the 2013 season. If dudes like Tanneyhill and Newton are getting paid, you know Russell Wilson is going to be paid more.
They couldnt do that under the CBA
Seattle general manager John Schneider's ability to maintain the roster of the Super Bowl champions will be boosted by cap-friendly salaries carried by several Seahawks stars drafted in the last three years. Shrewd mid-round drafting was a gold mine in the old CBA, too. But while quarterback Russell Wilson is eligible for unrestricted free agency sooner than a third-round pick would've been previously, the Seahawks aren't even allowed to touch his contract until after his third year.
Which makes the whole "other Hawks are getting paid before him" shtick nonesense 

Oh I didn't know that.

Thanks

So that schtick about paying him last is super duper bogus!

They've basically only had 5 months to negotiate with him?

Last edited:
@RapSheet: The #Cowboys are making real progress toward a long-term deal with Dez Bryant. Everyone, it appears, it optimistic now.

@AdamSchefter: Numbers now in: Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski is signing a four-year, $17.2 million deal to beat franchise deadline, per source.

Best damb job in the world

@AdamSchefter: Dez Bryant now on his way to Cowboys' facility -- assuming the two sides can put finishing touches on deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom