OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA Football Blasts France 82-0 at World Championship
39 mins ago
by David Kenyon
1 min read

USATSI_8639141_168380823_lowres-810x514.jpg

The United States is the undisputed football power, so fortunately for the country, its team is dominating at the IFAF American Football World Championship.

France was the latest team in the way, but the United States’ collection of former-college-but-not-professional players cruised to an 82-0 victory.

CJ_7-xRUEAAhCO2.png

What a game by @USNFT as they advance to the GOLD MEDAL GAME!!! pic.twitter.com/e2bQtdGemk
— USA Football (@usafootball) July 16, 2015

Former Iowa State running back Aaron Wimberly paced the USA rushing attack with 117 yards and one touchdown on just nine carries, while SaDale Foster tallied 81 yards and two scores.

Kevin Burke—Mount Union—and Dylan Favre—Southern Miss—both tossed a pair of touchdowns, two of which found former Army quarterback Trent Steeleman. Former Iowa State tight end Ernst Brun caught the other two.

Overall, America outgained France 454-75 and scored on 12 of 13 possessions—and the only one that didn’t result in a touchdown was a clock-killing, game-ending drive.

The States toppled Mexico 30-6 and Japan 43-18 before destroying France, and they’re set to challenge Japan on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET in the gold-medal game.

Former Boise State and Colorado head coach Dan Hawkins is leading the team.

:x @ the score
US will play Japan. It reminds me of manga called Eyeshield 21. Great manga though.

Last edited:
It's called a guy being the latest Heisman winner from your alma matter

I don't care what he does in the NFL, Johnny at Texas A&M will always be tops for me

Joe Namath Believes Hyperbaric Treatments Cure Brain Damage
1 hour ago
by Jesse Reed
4 min read

New York Jets legend Joe Namath is convinced he’s found the cure for concussion-related brain damage.

The Hall of Fame quarterback took his fair share of crushing blows to the head during his playing days. He was completely knocked out at least five times in his career “with no treatment except smelling salts,” per ESPN’s Peter Keating. As a result, Namath began experiencing some cognitive challenges and sought to find help.

Namath discovered Jupiter Medical Center in 2012 and began a treatment plan with the facility that centered around spending time in a hyperbaric chamber. Over the course of time—120 trips later—he experienced a dramatic turnaround, prompting him to dive headlong into promoting the treatment as a viable option to concussion-related brain damage.

Per Keating:

“Last September he and Jupiter officials launched the Joe Namath Neurological Research Center. With great fanfare, they announced their goal to a throng of media at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York: to raise $10 million for a clinical trial of hyperbaric oxygen on 100 subjects suffering from symptoms of brain damage. Namath would be the lead fundraiser and cheerleader for the project.”

Namath is convinced this is the way out for others like him who have experienced varying levels of brain damage caused by concussions.

It’s important to note that the two doctors who treated Namath are not neurological experts. It’s also important to note that other doctors who are neurological experts are skeptical of the validity of such a treatment.

Keating writes:

“The Hall of Fame quarterback has never been conventional, and he knows what he’s selling is a leap beyond the fringes of accepted science. To many experts, the endeavor raises serious concerns. But to Namath, the truth is as simple as the air we breathe.”

After decades of hard living, which included powerful painkillers to help cope with the abuse suffered on the field and a fierce bout of alcohol addiction, Namath kicked his addictions in 2004. From that time forward, he realized just how much his football playing days were adversely affecting his day-to-day functionality, and he also realized he wasn’t alone.

Junior Seau’s tragic exit from the world triggered the warning bells for the legendary quarterback, who says, “It behooved me to find out what’s going on with my brain.”

To evaluate Namath, [Dr. Lee Andrew] Fox used a SPECT scan, a nuclear-imaging test that shows blood flow in the brain,” Keating wrote. “The results were shocking: Red, orange and yellow images lit up on the right side of Namath’s brain, showing normal activity, but the left side was largely dark.”

When faced with these results, Namath knew something was wrong.

“As a right-handed quarterback getting hit from the left side, [Namath] would typically be hit in the left temporal lobe,” Fox says. “When he gets sacked, he falls onto the ground and hits the back of his head. Those are the areas of the brain that we saw had decreased function.”

After 40 treatments in the hyperbaric chamber—one hour a day, five days a week—Namath’s scans came back “bright and symmetrical,” showing dramatic improvement. Not surprisingly, the former quarterback continued with the treatment and has experienced a complete turnaround as a result.

It’s no wonder he’s championing this method as a true cure.

It remains to be seen if others will jump on board this train, but hyperbaric chambers have long been used by professional athletes for various reasons. Many players have seen quicker recoveries from other types of injuries by utilizing them.

As with many other non-traditional methods of healing, most experts in the field of brain trauma have yet to view this as a viable solution. But that could soon change if others receive the same kind of help that turned Namath’s life around.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me being a lil older now.. But I don't get what would drive someone to walk out their house thinking this is a good look.. Like none of his boys said nothin

View media item 1630837

Well, when your boys are on your payroll, who's really gonna keep it 100? :lol:

"My auntie fried up some chicken and I had my hands full, and I don't have no pockets on my shorts, so I just had to use what I had," he explained.

Why Marshawn Lynch kept chicken wings in his sock

:rofl:

You do what you gotta do....one of my closest friends, back in college, used to put sandwiches in his pocket from the dining hall. Used to savage that **** when he got back to the dorms. Homie would pull out his chapstick, phone, and a turkey/cheese on white.

One is playing with the most prolific passers in history

The other is playing with Matt Stafford with no running game or #2 reliever

You say we don't watch football then bring up stats ..you make no sense

Calvin had 1,900+ receiving yards with ONLY 5 TDs. The year he broke the yardage record. Matthew Stafford IS one of the most prolific passers in NFL history. He has 2 years of over 5,000 passing yards. Detroit is a pass happy offense, I'm sure CJ is benefitting from that lack of a running game. Demaryius missed tons of games in his first two seasons. Tim Tebow was dudes QB for a few games, yet he still made highlight reel catches. He's a YAC machine. CJ might just be the second best Georgia Tech receiver in the league. Calvin is no longer the clear cut, best receiver. Might be the most athletic but, not the clear cut number one. It's simlar to when Dwight Howard was the best center in the NBA, from like '08 - '2012, because the league was lacking skilled players, at that position.

As far as passing yardage and volume stats? He is, look up his numbers. I'm not a fan of his but, that offense throws the ball more than any other. I'm not saying Matthew is an all-timer but off sheer numbers? He throws a ton of passes. I mentioned this because the guy said DT has Peyton, when CJ has Stafford and offensive coordinators who are as pass happy as it gets.

i see what you're saying, but we've discussed it before that the 5K mark doesn't really mean all too much nowadays. a couple years back we had 3 or 4 guys hit the mark in a single season? i think that says a lot.

i see what you're saying, but we've discussed it before that the 5K mark doesn't really mean all too much nowadays. a couple years back we had 3 or 4 guys hit the mark in a single season? i think that says a lot.

Then, the guy who said "DT has one of the most prolific passers (Peyton)" should not have tried to discredit him. As if Stafford was not a #1 overall pick, and has various records, due to Stafford. Made no sense...

Then, the guy who said "DT has one of the most prolific passers (Peyton)" should not have tried to discredit him. As if Stafford was not a #1 overall pick, and has various records, due to Stafford. Made no sense...

agreed...peyton is not a prolific passer. he's not in the Brady and Rodgers tier.

Westrbook.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom