OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE 8 SYSTEM THREAD

What does when you started hooping in Kobes have anything to do with when the sig line actually started getting popular though? :lol: Doesn't matter what you personally thought of the Vs or the sigs before, the line still took off with the IVs, and every Kobe sig since has benefitted from the IV's success being the first successful low top in the line. For the Kobe line, Nike didn't really start pushing 20+ colorways per sig and making more QS colors to mark different occasions/themes (Xmas, MLK, Draft Days, Chaos, etc) until the IVs, and them going that route definitely contributed to the collectibility and increased popularity. Before that, you mainly still just had your 4-5 GRs per year with much fewer QS colors released to the public, and that's that. Sure, you get longer threads when there's more cws out there than before. But the KD Vs this year have probably just as many if not more cws than the Kobe 8s, and the Kobe thread is about triple the size. You can't explain that big of a difference in thread length just off of there being more cws alone.

I definitely agree with you though that Nike SB (and maybe also AF1s) was the one that started the collecting phase, and the sneaker culture's also just gotten bigger. But if Nike stuck to their old system of releasing 4-5 GRs per year like they did with Jordans, these Nike bball sig lines wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today. It's a twofold thing, Nike recognized there's a demand out there for collecting shoes, but they still gotten put the product out there and feed into what ppl want.

:smokin Well said sir. Some cats need to do their homework. The Kobe IV won the performing shoe of the year in 2009 via ************* awards. Kobe IV's put kobe's sig line on the radar of bball players, casual wearers, and collectors. Still my fav of the kobe line BY FAR.

My spot will have the fades, but they said the shipment was late, and they wont have them in till tuesday..
i figured all the kids will be in school, and the first shift people will be at work.. so it shouldn't be that hard of a pick up.. ill see what happens, but i think my brain is allready programmed to wake up on saturdays at around 6:00 so maybe ill just copp online
I can already see grizz eating up the entire Wisconsin stock. lol

no, the VIs is when i started hooping in kobes, Vs hurt my feet when i tried them on, and earlier models werent any better than the basketball shoes i already used to hoop in so it was unnecessary to buy them, we started seeing 1000 page Kobe threads because there were more cws available to the public, lower merion 3s were ridiculously limited and expensive, but VIs were much more easily accessible and could be had at retail, and GR cws selling out in a couple months time??? you say that like its not a long time and then on top of that, thats not true at all, 4s and 5s sat for about a year and a half after release

The lVs was when the Kobe's really started to get traction. The biggest issue was the bottoming out of the lunar foam. I personally didn't like the V ( looks like a painted block of foam) as well but I know a lot of heads that feel the opposite. I liked the VI more than the IV and V ( primarily worn to play outdoor ball ) but to say it started with the VI is nonsense.

No thats when YOU started paying attention to Kobes. The popularity really started with the Kobe IV and definitely with the Kobe V. Thats when we started to see the beginning of 1000 page Kobe threads on here. Thats also when I noticed some GR colorways would actually sell out in a couple months time.

Shoes are selling better than they ever have because Nike revamped their lineup and marketed in new way.Also Nike helped cultivate the market by making energy colorways and releasing them in House of Hoops. Basically it made it fun to collect shoes.
no, the VIs is when i started hooping in kobes, Vs hurt my feet when i tried them on, and earlier models werent any better than the basketball shoes i already used to hoop in so it was unnecessary to buy them, we started seeing 1000 page Kobe threads because there were more cws available to the public, lower merion 3s were ridiculously limited and expensive, but VIs were much more easily accessible and could be had at retail, and GR cws selling out in a couple months time??? you say that like its not a long time and then on top of that, thats not true at all, 4s and 5s sat for about a year and a half after release

again i have to disagree, shoes are selling better because the sneaker scene grew to what it was by itself, the whole sneaker thing was already growing fast, especially with the rise of hipster and indie styles, nike sb pretty much started the whole collecting craze, then people just started getting more into it, nike didnt do anything but create more shoes for people to buy, their marketing and whatnot didnt pull anyone into buying shoes that they didnt already want
What does when you started hooping in Kobes have anything to do with when the sig line actually started getting popular though? :lol: Doesn't matter what you personally thought of the Vs or the sigs before, the line still took off with the IVs, and every Kobe sig since has benefitted from the IV's success being the first successful low top in the line. For the Kobe line, Nike didn't really start pushing 20+ colorways per sig and making more QS colors to mark different occasions/themes (Xmas, MLK, Draft Days, Chaos, etc) until the IVs, and them going that route definitely contributed to the collectibility and increased popularity. Before that, you mainly still just had your 4-5 GRs per year with much fewer QS colors released to the public, and that's that. Sure, you get longer threads when there's more cws out there than before. But the KD Vs this year have probably just as many if not more cws than the Kobe 8s, and the Kobe thread is about triple the size. You can't explain that big of a difference in thread length just off of there being more cws alone.

I definitely agree with you though that Nike SB (and maybe also AF1s) was the one that started the collecting phase, and the sneaker culture's also just gotten bigger. But if Nike stuck to their old system of releasing 4-5 GRs per year like they did with Jordans, these Nike bball sig lines wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today. It's a twofold thing, Nike recognized there's a demand out there for collecting shoes, but they still gotten put the product out there and feed into what ppl want.

Repped! Thanks people who paid attention to the Kobe line back then backing my point. I really didn't feel like making points to refute his claims :lol:

I thought most of what I was saying was common perception but I guess not :lol:

Last edited:
Over in the Jordan restock thread, Kam said that the restock will have Kobe elites. And given that the HoH opening in RI only had elites and volts, my speculation is that they're not really going to restock the Kobe line with anything good on 5/25.

my local spots will be doing fcfs on the purple gradients
ohwell.gif
 i will be passing though
tired.gif

Last edited:
Just got the call from my local FTL...won my size in the raffle!  Got my RSVP at another location also.  2 pairs locked.

Im sleeping in tomorrow...good luck to those who want them. 

Just called my Foot Locker said they are going to get them in on the 14th and i gotta work 8-5. Hopefully i can get lucky online tomorrow

I wonder if D**** is getting these as well.

Seems like there is plenty to go around and everyone on here should be able to get a pair.As long as people aint copping 3 or 4 damn pair.

Is there any pics of the White/Gold/Black Elite that releases on 6/1? I just saw it on footlockers release calender.

Back
Top Bottom