Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

Hey guys,

I own and have worked at numerous clubs despite only being 21. I used to do bookings as well so I am quite rounded in the agency/booking/residency aspect of DJING. I myself have DJed as well (cdjs + serato). My friends are some of the most talented guys and my residents at my club atm in Canada and are established through DMC and Redbull 3style. Both are repping in the Canadian finals and one will make it to the Worlds as he did last year and got jipped but thats another story (DJ DRASTIK).

My tip for djs who are trying to work in clubs and such is to MAKE CONNECTIONS.

ALso upgrade to CDJS or TECH12S if you are serious. No one will show you any love if you dont quite frankly cause MIDI djs aren't seen as real "djs" as many see it. Know your craft and know your music and crowd. Get your beat matching down to a t and train your ears.

I'll be back later to post some pictures and such!

LoL Casper you're funny. I'm always glad to see new people take an interest in spinning. So I'll throw down some stuff quickly. Before you go out and purchase equipment I suggest you make friends with someone that's currently spinning at Nightclubs and shadow them. Learning that DJ'ing isn't about playing all the hits is something that 98-99 percent of DJ's never understand. A DJ isn't someone who's able to download all the latest hits from any genre and play them back to back. A Dj's biggest job is being able to read a crowd and understand what they want to hear and when to need to hear certain songs. No one gets to a club at 11-11:30 and hear take over control, good night, or any top hit. So my biggest piece of advice is really learning those tricks.

Speaking of what to play and when, another big thing is learning how to being an opening DJ. Anyone and their mother with some sense can play a peak hour set, that's easy. What's very difficult is being able to open a room for a headliner. In my career I've had the opportunity to open for some huge names including Deadmau5 and Kaskade. Because I put the time in to learning how to open a room properly I've not only gotten props from those headliners but have gotten booked more consistently as well. There's nothing more annoying then some little punk who hasn't payed any dues coming on before the headliner and playing all the newest hits. As an opener you play for the night not for yourself and if you can learn how to do that you'll be in a great position.

In Miami next year I'll be the headlining DJ at the #1 pool party in Miami. Getting to that position was difficult and didn't happen over night, I had to learn entire new genre's, and pay for nothing and little to nothing. But perseverance got me where I'm at now and eventually where I want to be. I've beginning to garner more press and more opportunities. Recently NBC did an article on myself which you can read here:
Alex Butler Rings in 3 Years of RX
I was fortunate enough to be taught many of these tricks by a famous NT'er who's no longer with us. He was an amazing individual and one of the most amazing DJ's ever, so of course if anyone ever has any questions don't hesitate to hit me up here, or at alex.butler@gmail.com.

And of course what would one of my posts be without........a pic 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif

32007028400808162720623.jpg

Here's my tech-house mix. gots some UK Bass/Garage. Something yall prolly never heard before.

1. Nick Monaco - Nick's Episode (Percolator Acapella & Lezgo Acapella edit)

2. J.Phlip - Bootyberg

3. Kill Frenzy - Pain Train

4. Friendly Fires - Hawaiian Air (TEED Remix)

5. Eats Everything - Roar Deluxe

6. Justin Martin & Ardalan - Lezgo

7. Justin Martin & Ardalan - Mr. Spock

8. Eats Everything - Heard That

9. Boddika - When I Dip

10. Kahn - Like We Used To

11. Boddika - Soul What

12. Koreless - MTI

Originally Posted by JonnyBlazeNyc

LoL Casper you're funny. I'm always glad to see new people take an interest in spinning. So I'll throw down some stuff quickly. Before you go out and purchase equipment I suggest you make friends with someone that's currently spinning at Nightclubs and shadow them. Learning that DJ'ing isn't about playing all the hits is something that 98-99 percent of DJ's never understand. A DJ isn't someone who's able to download all the latest hits from any genre and play them back to back. A Dj's biggest job is being able to read a crowd and understand what they want to hear and when to need to hear certain songs. No one gets to a club at 11-11:30 and hear take over control, good night, or any top hit. So my biggest piece of advice is really learning those tricks.

Speaking of what to play and when, another big thing is learning how to being an opening DJ. Anyone and their mother with some sense can play a peak hour set, that's easy. What's very difficult is being able to open a room for a headliner. In my career I've had the opportunity to open for some huge names including Deadmau5 and Kaskade. Because I put the time in to learning how to open a room properly I've not only gotten props from those headliners but have gotten booked more consistently as well. There's nothing more annoying then some little punk who hasn't payed any dues coming on before the headliner and playing all the newest hits. As an opener you play for the night not for yourself and if you can learn how to do that you'll be in a great position.

In Miami next year I'll be the headlining DJ at the #1 pool party in Miami. Getting to that position was difficult and didn't happen over night, I had to learn entire new genre's, and pay for nothing and little to nothing. But perseverance got me where I'm at now and eventually where I want to be. I've beginning to garner more press and more opportunities. Recently NBC did an article on myself which you can read here:
Alex Butler Rings in 3 Years of RX
I was fortunate enough to be taught many of these tricks by a famous NT'er who's no longer with us. He was an amazing individual and one of the most amazing DJ's ever, so of course if anyone ever has any questions don't hesitate to hit me up here, or at alex.butler@gmail.com.

And of course what would one of my posts be without........a pic 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
tongue.gif
Great article Alex.  You must have felt really proud when that was published.  I particularly like the part where you describe that you attended RX every Saturday promising founders that you could demolish the set if given the chance.  That itself revealed the critical networking aspect of being a DJ and how it is integral to success.
One question though, you described how spent many hours perfecting that "mix". Do you mean you went in with a pre-set list of what you wanted to do that debut night?

Good post Alex,

@lxj to kinda answer that question (in my situation) i never have a preset playlist but i do go over music before a gig, i mean sometimes i have a playlist but i dont have a preset order, just kind of stuff to pick from.
if its a club/crowd ive dj before i know what to expect,, but if its somethign new i tend to make a crate with probably twice as many songs as i would play. its always better to be over prepared than to wing it. but at the same time theres been gigs where i make a crate, but end up playing totally different stuff than what i thought.

can you make it as a Hip Hop DJ? I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to house and techno stuff, besides popular stuff.

^^^^the hiphop dj scene has died out. back in like 01-05 the mixtape game was hot, and thats how hiphop djs really came up.
now mixtapes arent what they use to.
most mixtape djs suck live too. they dj "NY" style how some call it, just scratch and dropping songs.
but some r very dope.
on saturdays i play with dj IDEAL, he was the one who did "Da Bottom" series, him and DJ Smallz (Southern Smoke) had prob some of the best mixtapes out back then.
(besides the gangsta grillz series)

to "make it " as a hiphop DJ nowadays your best bet would be to dj for an artist.

Originally Posted by theHBkid

Hey guys,

I own and have worked at numerous clubs despite only being 21. I used to do bookings as well so I am quite rounded in the agency/booking/residency aspect of DJING. I myself have DJed as well (cdjs + serato). My friends are some of the most talented guys and my residents at my club atm in Canada and are established through DMC and Redbull 3style. Both are repping in the Canadian finals and one will make it to the Worlds as he did last year and got jipped but thats another story (DJ DRASTIK).

ALso upgrade to CDJS or TECH12S if you are serious. No one will show you any love if you dont quite frankly cause MIDI djs aren't seen as real "djs" as many see it. Know your craft and know your music and crowd. Get your beat matching down to a t and train your ears.

Ever since Serato introduced the bridge, MIDI controllers have been heavily integrated into many DJ's arsenals such as Jazzy Jeff, Craze and considerable others.  Not to mention Ean Golden and numerous other DJs can perform their sets solely from MIDI fighters, Maschines and the like, which is an amazing feat in itself.  MIDI controllers is just a new tool that DJs can use to further expand their creativity to allow them to give their sets their own personal style.  To say that someone would have to upgrade to CDJs or TECH12s "if you are serious" is ignorant.  You don't have to have specific equipment to be taken seriously, just because you have 2 DJM 2000s and 2 CDJ 2000 doesn't make you an amazing DJ.  And just because you use a MIDI controller doesn't make you any less of a DJ.  A person becomes a DJ because they want to play music they like and that they know their audience will like, not to buy expensive equipment to show off to other pretentious DJs how "real" they are.  Grow up.
JFMartiMcDandruff wrote:
can you make it as a Hip Hop DJ? I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to house and techno stuff, besides popular stuff.

you can make it as any DJ, as long as you have the fan/audience base

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

It's a lot harder to make it as a hip hop DJ these days than it was even 5 years ago. Unfortunately, I've had multiple club staff come up to me during various sets and tell me to ease up on the hip hop. Some places prohibit DJs from playing it at all.  It never hurts to study other genres. I've learned alotfrom house, dancehall, bmore  and techno DJs that I can apply to my hip hop sets and vice versa.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by theHBkid

Hey guys,

Ever since Serato introduced the bridge, MIDI controllers have been heavily integrated into many DJ's arsenals such as Jazzy Jeff, Craze and considerable others.  Not to mention Ean Golden and numerous other DJs can perform their sets solely from MIDI fighters, Maschines and the like, which is an amazing feat in itself.  MIDI controllers is just a new tool that DJs can use to further expand their creativity to allow them to give their sets their own personal style.  To say that someone would have to upgrade to CDJs or TECH12s "if you are serious" is ignorant.  You don't have to have specific equipment to be taken seriously, just because you have 2 DJM 2000s and 2 CDJ 2000 doesn't make you an amazing DJ.  And just because you use a MIDI controller doesn't make you any less of a DJ.  A person becomes a DJ because they want to play music they like and that they know their audience will like, not to buy expensive equipment to show off to other pretentious DJs how "real" they are.  Grow up.
JFMartiMcDandruff wrote:

you can make it as any DJ, as long as you have the fan/audience base

Yeah, those guys mentioned are well established DJs so they can use whatever they want because theyve proven themselves. How can you consider yourself a DJ if you cant use either Tech or CDJs and havnt somewhat master either one? Cmon.. MIDI is good but in reality it isn't professional if youre trying to get gigs. It depends on what your MIDI player is obviously but most of them are merely toys in my opinion. Depends on what you spin as well because if youre a house dj, you should be using CDs and if youre a everything DJ then using a laptop is fine. 

i'd definitely say that it's a little harder to make it as a midi DJ in NYC if only for the fact that almost all of the DJ booths around here have techs and/or cdjs and a mixer connected to the house system

I think midi is just at the grassroots so it hasn't been accepted yet.  Sooner or later it might reach the same level of acceptance as TTs and CDJs.  

Sup guys,

My name is djaward, been in the dj game since 1999 (12 years). Like CA5PERR, I pretty much spin everything, from the current hip hop and club house to some cumbias, merengue, rock en espanol and some flashbacks. I try to play every single genre because the parties out here in LA pretty much require it. No one wants to listen to JUST hip hop or house music all night long. And if you're the type of dj to play just one or two genre, then I suggest you stop now. Very little djs make it with just hip hop (Unless their producers and make their own songs). Clubs are different though. With Clubs, you need to stick to current mix with a little of the old. Learn to read a crowd (THIS IS A MUST). Without that you're done. Forget the guys and their dumb request. If the girls are dancing the guys will dance with them and end up buying more drinks. More bar sells means happy managers. Happy managers more gigs for you. 

For beginner djs, I suggest you start off with whatever you feel comfortable with. NO AUTOSYNC. Only time Im ok with autosync is when the dj gets creative. Try to stay away from the sound effects like Horns and or drops. 

Sorry for the lame advice, Im extremely tired. 

If you would like to listen to one of my mixes, please check this out. This mix has my wives favorite songs. Hope you like it. 

Mix for my wife. by djaward

Originally Posted by djaward

Sup guys,

My name is djaward, been in the dj game since 1999 (12 years). Like CA5PERR, I pretty much spin everything, from the current hip hop and club house to some cumbias, merengue, rock en espanol and some flashbacks. I try to play every single genre because the parties out here in LA pretty much require it. No one wants to listen to JUST hip hop or house music all night long. And if you're the type of dj to play just one or two genre, then I suggest you stop now. Very little djs make it with just hip hop (Unless their producers and make their own songs). Clubs are different though. With Clubs, you need to stick to current mix with a little of the old. Learn to read a crowd (THIS IS A MUST). Without that you're done. Forget the guys and their dumb request. If the girls are dancing the guys will dance with them and end up buying more drinks. More bar sells means happy managers. Happy managers more gigs for you.�

For beginner djs, I suggest you start off with whatever you feel comfortable with. NO AUTOSYNC. Only time Im ok with autosync is when the dj gets creative. Try to stay away from the sound effects like Horns and or drops.�

Sorry for the lame advice, Im extremely tired.�

If you would like to listen to one of my mixes, please check this out. This mix has my wives favorite songs. Hope you like it.�

Mix for my wife. by djaward

Any tips for reading the crowd?  What visual clues do you look for?  How do you know when to transition from a high energy banger to a slower one for people can go buy some shots?

Originally Posted by Lxj

Originally Posted by djaward

Any tips for reading the crowd? �What visual clues do you look for? �How do you know when to transition from a high energy banger to a slower one for people can go buy some shots?
alot just comes from trial and error,
the basic things is how are people reacting to what youre playing, are they dancing, are the enjoying it? singing along?
im usually one or maybe even 3 songs ahead of what i wanna play, thinking if this song im gonna play doesnt hit, whats next? and if it does how can i follow up,
if youre playing a peak hr set and youve been banging it out for 15-30 mins, your best bet would be to play the last banging song out, (to me is more than the 2nd verse),
so the crowd kinda chills to the whole song and theyre like ehhh, so you play something older and with not as much energy.
lets say u play calabria, then shots, then give me everything, levels/good feeling (for about 2-3 mins or so each) ppl are gonna be prety hype for a bit, so then for levels, you let it ride out and since its a house song, u can follow with something like an older kesha song, or something from about a yr ago, that isnt as popular....
i would say shadow a dj that has decent gigs, n see how they play, just go out n see how others do it, n learn from that...

lol bagging on people who use the sync button is like making fun of people who use a computer instead of a typewriter....

I doesn't matter what you use....you could use two ipods and a mixer for all I care just make sure it sounds good and fluid.

Yo guys so I;m thinking of picking up a Hercules 4-MX, and some Sony MDR-V700Djs just to get started at home. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by habib77fm

lol bagging on people who use the sync button is like making fun of people who use a computer instead of a typewriter....

not rly
grin.gif

its like saying ur a race car driver, n drive an automatic.
or u make sculptures and just use a mold, and do nothing by hand...

ehhhh it takes a way from the art of djing, IMO... i know some djs on traktor use it,but most of them know how to mix by ear, and blend.

real random, but are those just regular stickers used to mark points on the vinyl? And do you guys beat match yourself, or just use computer?

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

Originally Posted by habib77fm

not rly
grin.gif

its like saying ur a race car driver, n drive an automatic.
or u make sculptures and just use a mold, and do nothing by hand...

ehhhh it takes a way from the art of djing, IMO... i know some djs on traktor use it,but most of them know how to mix by ear, and blend.
No not really. 
It's like saying that because a banker uses excel spreadsheet's instead of using an HP12c calculator makes him less capable of doing his job. The person still needs to know what their doing. 

Same with DJ'ing.

The fact of the matter is, it's using something that makes the job easier. 

Anyone, and I mean anyone can simply cross-fade two hot tracks...that doesn't make them a dj....

A DJ is someone that understands the crowd, can mix songs in a way that makes an ordinary song sound different....someone that can present songs with their own vision of how the song can be heard and much more....

The sync button is evolution, don't fight it, simply perfect your craft with your style....

I understand both sides of the argument in regards to the SYNC button, it's the same argument that happened when CDJ's were introduced and when midi controllers were introduced. The question becomes how easy is easy. In the past DJ's had to possess real skill in order to make it. With the innovations in technology, it's made it easier for the every day kid to get into DJ'ing, purchase a bunch of hits off of beatport and rock a party or bar night for little to no pay a week or two later. That clearly waters down the industry, and makes it more difficult for individuals who put in actual work to make. However much like any industry, DJ'ing had to evolve eventually.

I had an argument with someone over at an Occupy Wall Street board. He said that people should be rewarded for effort, which I thought was completely asinine. Should a Doctor be payed the same amount of money because he tried his hardest but still had 10 malpractice cases as one with a clean record? No way! So taking that logic I think we can apply it to the DJ industry. Yes learning how to do everything the old fashion way is commendable, however that time and effort could be better served learning another trick of the trade.

What Eiddyfouw said is absolutely true, DJ's are those that can read a crowd and get a reaction out of that crowd. Being able to read a crowd takes time and effort, and that's something you can't purchase.

Speaking of innovation, the biggest piece of advice I have to anyone is to get up on your marketing and advertising efforts. Sure Twitter, Facebook, and other social media avenues are fantastic, but if you really want to make it in this industry like the recording industry, you have to spend money to make money. Publicity is huge and perception is everything in the DJ world. So if that means hiring a PR firm, working with a Marketing company etc, these are things one should think about. I myself don't personally use them, but they are great avenues to take provided you have the funds. And like anything you pay for what you get. :smile:

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

real random, but are those just regular stickers used to mark points on the vinyl? And do you guys beat match yourself, or just use computer?
Never expected to see some cue point juggling by a japanese housewife

Back
Top Bottom