Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Clothes for elder 2, and misc stuff like a globe, piggy bank..etc for the younger 3.
Saw an interview with Chris rock stating "you're kids are young for a short time and old for a long time". That hit hard due to the many hrs put in with work. Time def is more important than $. Need to make some changes

View media item 1306197

son not even 2 but he wants a yellow bike so my wife bought him a strider bike. he should love it. he was so excited to help with the christmas tree yesterday. christmas with kids brings it to a whole new level man. we parents are so blessed.

On another note. What are you guys getting your kids for Christmas?
Mine wanted an easy bake oven lol
Getting my stepson that disney/marvel game with the groot, captain america, and thor figures, and some clothes

My daughter might get some teethin' stuff and more clothes and a jumper

On another note. What are you guys getting your kids for Christmas?
Mine wanted an easy bake oven lol

A gang of Mickey Mouse Club House toys and Duplo sets and 2 Batman Duplo sets as "Mickey" and "Bahman" are the 2 things he requests the most right now.

Got the clothes portion wrapped up making a toys r us run later this week to wrap up they should be hyped

My 6yr. old is getting hooked up this year..

Nintendo 3DS XL
Lego Batman 3
Lego Legends of Chima: Fire and Ice
Lego Legends of Chima: Spinlyn's Cavern
Jordan 11 Low Concord (Outlet Mall steel for 29.99)
32" LCD TV
3 pairs of pajamas
Lego Movie, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, and HTTYD2
Lego storage case
2 Chima Speedorbz tracks
Inquisitor Light Saber
4 pack of Chima figures
Sega Game System (Has over 50 games built into it)
Bean bag chair..

Holiday photos w/ the youngsters View media item 1306453

As far as christmas, I got my daughter:

Nintendo 2DS
2ds and 3ds games
Frozen Anna and Elsa dolls
pajamas
redoing her bedroom w/ an ice castle theme. Got her that Frozen bed set from Walmart for $25, the Olaf rug, and my wife is going to drape blue material in the shape of a castle on her wall by the bed w/ snowflake Christmas lights.
Headbandz Act Up
Hungry Hungry Hippos
Monster's High dolls
snow boots
sneakers

for my son:
Classic Fisher Price toys (xylophone on wheels, cone w/ the rings, shapes and holes)
Olaf plush
pj's
my daughter bought him a pack of diapers :lol:

he's only 6mos, he don't need much

My son likes cars and only cars. Dude will play with other stuff for maybe 5 minutes then go back to his cars. We seen a Mercedes power wheel in the store and he wanted it so bad, he cried. Not tantrum cry but tears slowly ran down his face while he kept saying I'm a big boy I'm a big boy lol. So I'm copping him random hot wheels stuff and a Bentley gt power wheel off amazon. Can't wait to see his face

My little guy (3yrs old) loves killer instinct, basketball jerseys, and football jerseys. :lol: if he was old enough to drink and lift with me we'd be set

Oh, Thomas and team onizoomie :lol:

Last edited:
We're spoiling our son because he's a great kid.

- 15" laptop HP Envy touchscreen laptop.
- 40" 120 hz Samsung flatscreen (will be mounted to his wall).
- Pokemon Alpha Sapphire & Nintendo Smash Bros (for the 3ds xl he already has).
- a couple of action figures he wanted.
- some graphic novels.
- the new PSG home shirt with Ibra nameset & Ligue Un patches.
- the 3rd PSG shirt with Ibra name set with Respect & CL patches.
- Some new Nike hoodies & clothes.

I know I might get a lotta hate on here, but Im not big on spoiling my lil girl with a lot of stuff.

Shes only 9 months now, but I see it already at daycare. 

A lot of the other kids have mulitple shoes and jackets and whatnot, some have those lil baby tablets and electronic stuff out the wazoo, and of course toys for days.

Now I understand, esp with me having a daughter, that you want to give them the world, and would do anything to see her happy.  But at what point is enough enough.  And more importantly, do you think that might affect how she looks the world from a materialistic point of view down the line?

So this is my first (last?) kid and of course I want her to grow up with all her values and moral intact, and I come from the belief that what you do now molds a child into what they will eventually become.  So I dont want her stuck on material items.  Im sure Ill get her toys and stuff she wants, but I already have planned to keep them at a minimum, and to be educational for the most part.  We wont be keeping up with the Joneses thats for sure

Anyway thats my two cents.  Yall have some gorgeous kids, and they are gonna love their presents Im sure.  Carry on!

^^I agree with you on a lot of what you said..Buying 1,2,3 yr. olds Jordans and Polo and Nautica to me is pretty crazy..I can guarantee you that those kids give zero dambs about what their wearing..I bought my son one of those Jordan onesie packs and then we didn't buy him name brand stuff till he was about 5-ish..I kinda wanted to buy him Nike's or Jordan's but he wanted Spiderman shoes..So I was like, cool, if that's what he wants then that's what I'll get..I'm not knocking people for spending that kind of money on their little kids, but anyone who says that's what the kid wants is fooling themselves..It's purely for the parents ego and nothing else..

I know I might get a lotta hate on here, but Im not big on spoiling my lil girl with a lot of stuff.

Shes only 9 months now, but I see it already at daycare. 

A lot of the other kids have mulitple shoes and jackets and whatnot, some have those lil baby tablets and electronic stuff out the wazoo, and of course toys for days.

Now I understand, esp with me having a daughter, that you want to give them the world, and would do anything to see her happy.  But at what point is enough enough.  And more importantly, do you think that might affect how she looks the world from a materialistic point of view down the line?

So this is my first (last?) kid and of course I want her to grow up with all her values and moral intact, and I come from the belief that what you do now molds a child into what they will eventually become.  So I dont want her stuck on material items.  Im sure Ill get her toys and stuff she wants, but I already have planned to keep them at a minimum, and to be educational for the most part.  We wont be keeping up with the Joneses thats for sure

Anyway thats my two cents.  Yall have some gorgeous kids, and they are gonna love their presents Im sure.  Carry on!
I understand exactly what you're saying. Buying your kids a bunch of things can skew the way they view the world. I taught school for 6 years and I know a lot of those kids understood that if they broke a toy their dad could just buy another one. But the thing is teaching a child that even though they have a lot of possessions, that they have to take care of all of their stuff because mommy and daddy work very hard to get them everything. You can have kids who have little to nothing and they don't care about their stuff and kids who have everything but they take explicit care of their toys. Its all about teaching your kids values

I used to not want to buy my kids name brand clothes cause they'd just grow out of it in days, but what changed my mind was that most of these items can be resold at about 90% of retail paid. So I can legitimize paying 60+ on some shoes for my daughter because I can sell those barely used shoes for almost the same price. 

First day working since my girl was born last Thursday... Man I DO NOT want to be at the office right now. 
frown.gif

I know those feels brotha.

I only took about a week and a half off as well. I did not want to be at work whatsoever. Felt like I needed more time off to help my lady with the newborn and two doggies.

I understand exactly what you're saying. Buying your kids a bunch of things can skew the way they view the world. I taught school for 6 years and I know a lot of those kids understood that if they broke a toy their dad could just buy another one. But the thing is teaching a child that even though they have a lot of possessions, that they have to take care of all of their stuff because mommy and daddy work very hard to get them everything. You can have kids who have little to nothing and they don't care about their stuff and kids who have everything but they take explicit care of their toys. Its all about teaching your kids values

I used to not want to buy my kids name brand clothes cause they'd just grow out of it in days, but what changed my mind was that most of these items can be resold at about 90% of retail paid. So I can legitimize paying 60+ on some shoes for my daughter because I can sell those barely used shoes for almost the same price. 
Very good point on the term "value". Caught my son cleaning his j's over the summer with a toothbrush and soap after telling him that I can't afford to get him kicks til after school starts. Makes you want to work even harder when they appreciate :smokin

First day working since my girl was born last Thursday... Man I DO NOT want to be at the office right now. 
frown.gif
I know those feels brotha.

I only took about a week and a half off as well. I did not want to be at work whatsoever. Felt like I needed more time off to help my lady with the newborn and two doggies.
I lucked up and got 12 weeks of paternity leave.....been back at work for 2 weeks. Really miss those full checks for changing diapers
Very good point on the term "value". Caught my son cleaning his j's over the summer with a toothbrush and soap after telling him that I can't afford to get him kicks til after school starts. Makes you want to work even harder when they appreciate
smokin.gif
Exactly. Then you still have to help them understand that they aren't handing shoes out at the corner, you still working hard to get them shoes and that he can't slack up just becuase he went from 1 pair to 5 pairs lol

I used to by my nephew toys, but one Christmas he got a Buzz Lightyear toy and in about 2 hrs it was broken, no more toys. Then I tried getting him hats but I noticed that after buying him a second hat the first hat I got him the button on top of it was missing, no more hats for him.

My kids will get the same treatment, if you can't take care of your belongings you won't get anymore/you'll get some non-name brand stuff

I lucked up and got 12 weeks of paternity leave.....been back at work for 2 weeks. Really miss those full checks for changing diapers

damn, b! My job gives us a week off for Paternity Leave. thought I was doing it. :lol: I might take an extra week vaca this time.

My lady's due in August, my first two were October and January. Looking forward to a nice-weather delivery this time around. 8)

There is so much money in child care man......

maaaan, you aint lying! It's crazy. Thankfully I haven't had to venture into the paid child care thing (yet).
Right now my lady stays home during the day and after I get off work I have them while she's in school.

Last edited:
damn, b! My job gives us a week off for Paternity Leave. thought I was doing it.
laugh.gif
I might take an extra week vaca this time.
I was working a side job during those 12 weeks man I was loving it. The insurance at my job is so legit.
maaaan, you aint lying! It's crazy. Thankfully I haven't had to venture into the paid child care thing (yet).
Right now my lady stays home during the day and after I get off work I have them while she's in school.
I worked at a school and after school and man the overhead is so small but the price is so high.

Just think, 100 kids paying 200+ per week... smh

Back
Top Bottom