Official PC thread.

1z8y93.jpg

11l7a1i.jpg

recently started using my old vaio laptop. since i need a pc for ceratain things and these are temps im getting how can i bring them down?

im not doing anything serious on it either

I'd say give your laptop a good cleaning first to see how it affects the temps (since it's old). Then probably invest in a good laptop cooler.

Finally got to take out the hot-swap bays out of my rig. Wasn't using them, anyway.
600x439px-LL-a88bc8ac_IMG_5352.jpeg

Have something in mind for the space in the near future.

Originally Posted by odog24

1z8y93.jpg

11l7a1i.jpg

recently started using my old vaio laptop. since i need a pc for ceratain things and these are temps im getting how can i bring them down?

im not doing anything serious on it either

If the fan is under the laptop, you may want to prop the back of it up to let more air flow through. laptops are hard things to keep cool when the get full of dust. I would also shoot some compressed air in there and see what comes out. 

Can anyone shed any light on the advantages of having NAS over just a regular home media server?

I don't know how many of you guys have heard of Humble Indie Bundle before, but it's really cool I've been doing it for the last few years.
Basically you just donate whatever amount you like, and they give you 5 indie games, and these games are usually really good. This year the main games I wanted was Bastion, Limbo, and Psychonauts.
Bastion is probably my favorite game in a while, I love creative games like this.

But yeah this is really awesome, and the money goes to a good cause. Check it out here.
http://Link

More info below, and watch the video for a quick overview. These games can also be activated on steam, they provide you with a key after you donate

The Humble Indie Bundle V
Five incredible, best-selling games. Humble Indie Bundle V features five modern masterpieces and their soundtracks. Experience the fear and paranoia of Amnesia: The Dark Descent; the intensity and impact of LIMBO; the zany characters of Psychonauts; the future-retro, audiovisual concoction of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP; and, for customers who pay more than the average price, the exquisitely crafted action-RPG, Bastion.

Pay what you want. If you bought all these games and soundtracks separately, it would cost around $110. But we are letting you set the price!

The games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux (system requirements here).

You can support charity. Choose how your purchase is divided: between the developers, the Child's Play Charity, or the Electronic Frontier Foundation. And if you like this deal, a tip to Humble Bundle would be much appreciated!

My Samsung RV510 temps.

Uptime since 5th of may 2012

Bought it year ago.

Using a notebook cooler ZM-NC2000 by Zalman.

^ I heard the colors sucked, but supposedly "gamers" don't care about that.
laugh.gif

Hope you have a good graphics card to make the most out of that 120Hz (at least reach that).

Looking to replace my 5 year old macbook pro… display broke and don't feel like investing anymore money into it… Im looking for a 15inch Laptop with a decent graphics card, good processor and decent battery life for around 600-700$.. can that be done? I aint feeling like dropping 2k on a macbook pro with similar specs, those ASUS joints look nice I aint really feeling junk like HP that falls apart with shoddy build quality, I also hear ultrabooks are still to new to invest in

Just ordered some new Corsair Dominator GT RAM modules to replace my current Vengeance RAM. 50% off on Amazon right now!

Impulse buys.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Add to that some Swiftech Helix fans. Trying to gather parts for an LCS build bit-by-bit.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

^ I heard the colors sucked, but supposedly "gamers" don't care about that.
laugh.gif

Hope you have a good graphics card to make the most out of that 120Hz (at least reach that).

crossfire x2 AMD HD 6950 2gbs of GDDR5. I should be alright. 
laugh.gif

not anytime soon. I would have to get Nvidia for 3D and I dont plan on upgrading my video cards anytime soon

Can you link me to where you read the colors arnt great?

^ Just look at the feedback section. And some forums. Various reviews out there.

Being a TN panel, it wouldn't compete with say, an IPS panel in terms of color reproduction.

But it really depends on what you're really looking for in a monitor. If it looks great in your eyes, by all means, get it. I'm just saying that this monitor is more oriented towards the refresh rate and response time.

Can you guys help me out with my pc build/purchase.. this is what I'm planning on getting...

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB - $238.99[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][table][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - $99.99 after $30 mail in rebate

Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 -$52.99

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps SandForce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - $109.99

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD - $108.99

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply - $69.99 after $30 mail in rebate

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black - $19.99

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case - $ 49.99

In terms of graphics card.. My buddy is selling me his Evga gtx 580 ds superclock when his 670 arrives..

Anything I should change?... Bigger psu?... different mobo?.. Quick replies would be much appreciated since I'll be making this purchase in the next hour or so!
[/font][/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Clobro

Can you guys help me out with my pc build/purchase.. this is what I'm planning on getting...

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB - $238.99[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][table][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - $99.99 after $30 mail in rebate

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps SandForce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - $109.99

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD - $108.99

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply - $69.99 after $30 mail in rebate

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black - $19.99

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case - $ 49.99

In terms of graphics card.. My buddy is selling me his Evga gtx 580 ds superclock when his 670 arrives..

Anything I should change?... Bigger psu?... different mobo?.. Quick replies would be much appreciated since I'll be making this purchase in the next hour or so!
[/font][/td][/tr][/table]
ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - $99.99 after $30 mail in rebate

MOBO and memory is garbage 

are you buying for the price or the features ? 

Price.. but I'd like a solid gaming rig for under $1000.. what mobo and memory would you suggest?

^ Hey! I'm currently using that RAM. It's decent!
laugh.gif
Switching up to Dominator GTs (RAM Waterblock-compatible; useless I know... but it looks nice. :tongue: ) once I get my order from Amazon... still hasn't shipped yet.
ohwell.gif

Btw, PSU is fine (for now). If you're planning to SLI 580s in the future, get a bigger one. DO NOT skimp on this part. Go for the better-known PSUs (Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone). 

Case is ok... it's one of the smaller mid-towers out there but it should be fine.

EVGA's DS coolers aren't really renowned, to be honest (been reading a lot of complaints about them), but if your friend's GPU runs cool, it should be ok.

Also, Invest in a good CPU cooler. They say Ivy Bridge CPUs run pretty hot (that are caused by the bad TIM they come with).

a9oi2f.jpg

Ok, so I got my new monitor in and I'm trying to run dual.

I've been able to do this before, but I'm not sure how to do it again. I used NVIDIA before, but now I'm AMD.. My primary monitor is directly in front of me, and my secondary is to my left.

What I'm trying to do is only have things like my AIM/Music player on my left screen. But the way it's set up is that my start orb is on my left (secondary) display, not my primary one in front of me. Basically, it uses my two monitors as one giant display, which I don't want.

Any ideas? Or is this not possible. I think this was possible when I did it on my previous PC, which was using NVIDIA.

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

a9oi2f.jpg

Ok, so I got my new monitor in and I'm trying to run dual.

I've been able to do this before, but I'm not sure how to do it again. I used NVIDIA before, but now I'm AMD.. My primary monitor is directly in front of me, and my secondary is to my left.

What I'm trying to do is only have things like my AIM/Music player on my left screen. But the way it's set up is that my start orb is on my left (secondary) display, not my primary one in front of me. Basically, it uses my two monitors as one giant display, which I don't want.

Any ideas? Or is this not possible. I think this was possible when I did it on my previous PC, which was using NVIDIA.

you on win 7?
Right click on dekstop
Click screen resolution
Select "extend displays"

i dont have ati, but this might work if the above doesnt work:

Right click desktop
there should be an "ati" option there
it should open a program where you can edit displays

Just got my new Swiftech Helix-120 fans in from Performance-PCs. Not too shabby performance for a $10 fan. Sleeved, too. 
smokin.gif

249121_10150892973698736_1173124396_n.jpg

The RAM should be in by next week, as well.

Back
Top Bottom