Official PC thread.

nope, just got bored of NT for a bit. been on reddit/geekhack.

until geekhack got hacked to hell. we've been refugees on another keyboard forum that dont like us there :frown:

i wanna drive 4-5 fans w/ one connection into PSU, but i dunno if it'll affect the speed of my fan.
the fan for the heat sink is usually powered from the MOBO?

You'd need one of these. http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=34_82&products_id=33899

I suggest that you just use a fan controller instead so that you can more effectively control (and/or monitor) the speed of your fans. Also helps you tone down really noisy fans.

Depends on the heatsink, if it's the stock heatsink it's fine. Don't put too many fans on the motherboard headers. Check the power draw first.

Man, my new motherboard still isn't here. :\ It should be here either tomorrow or this Saturday, hopefully.

nope, just got bored of NT for a bit. been on reddit/geekhack.
until geekhack got hacked to hell. we've been refugees on another keyboard forum that dont like us there :frown:

Oh. Too bad the moment you left the thread... we suddenly saw a lot of traffic in here about keyboards. :lol: We could've used your input.

Didn't know geekhack got hacked.

Yeah, I haven't been on NT lately outside of this thread, the Battlefield 3 thread, the Lakers Offseason Thread, and the Formula 1 Thread (which is missing at the moment :smh: ).

Been on OCN and ASUS ROG forums a lot lately, though. Checking out some sim racing forums now for some ideas for my sim cockpit I'm currently renovating.

Last edited:
yeah, been almost a month since GH got crapped on. we just kind of got it back today.. but soon as it went up it was DDOS'd.. so admins are working on a fix.

but im slowly growing out of that too. just go back to "hang out" with the friends i've made. ive already acquired the switches that are for me so no more...searching.

Wish I could afford to build a nice rig for racing.

Building your own sim racing rig need not be expensive if you have access to some power tools. The racing wheel should be the most expensive component of the entire build, IMO.. since it's the whole point of building a rig, right?

Firstly, I hope you have enough space for one.

Check out sim racing forums for ideas. Really creative individuals on there.

Cheapest:
Ironing Board - Was skeptical at first, but hey, it works!
Plywood - Step yo carpentry game up! Some guys combine a bench that turns into a sim rig when you remove the cushions.
PVC pipe - just purchase the necessary elbow fittings and connect with contact cement.

After finding how much a Playseat costs =|... decided to build my own cockpit for a fraction of the price. Used CLK 320 dimensions for reference. This is what I came up (version 1.0):
156317_476134593735_6864497_n.jpg

Large and weighed a ton! Real sturdy, though. 

A few months later came version 2.0:
309761_10150294881398736_1396868504_n.jpg

About 15% smaller and 25% lighter. Removed unnecessary crossmembers/support and made it narrower. Replaced steel flooring with aluminum.

By the way, used car seats can be had for cheap. The first bucket seat I used for my cockpit (v1 and v2) cost me around $60 for the pair. Since it was a real car seat, it was quite heavy -accounted for half the weight of my rig. That had to go ASAP.

Fast forward to last week: friend hooked me up with a Logitech G27 for cheap (sold Logitech DFGT with the quickness). Needed to mod rig to accommodate larger peripherals -perfect time to make much lighter and compact rig.

Almost finished with fabrication with v3.0. Just need to rivet down the floor and make brackets for the shifter/pedals/wheel. Paint and finishing tomorrow. Should be about 35% smaller and 30% lighter vs. v2.0, while improving functionality.

This might be the final configuration of my rig for a while, until something better and logical comes along. After all, I'm only a semi-casual sim racer. No triple-monitor setup for me. Lol.

Posting the final build tomorrow. It is a tighter fit, but still fairly comfortable. Losing a bit of weight would definitely help. :tongue:

Last edited:
Yeah space is another issue. I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.
Check out this guys racing sim. It shows up around 1:20

^ Damn, that guy has a lot of rigs. :wow: His rig is definitely doable -not that special compared to the other ridiculous ones I've seen with motion actuators and everything. Excellent choice with the Fanatec CSR Elite, though. $540 :x Planning to get the same Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter later on. The G27's shifter kinda sucks. :lol:

I forgot to mention that you could just buy a WheelStand Pro/create your own wheel stand to use with a current chair to save a lot of space.

Anyway, without further ado... here's my sim racing cockpit -version 3.0:
480317_10150970394513736_2059545717_n.jpg

It's definitely a heck of a lot smaller and lighter than v2.0... thanks to the new replica bucket seat I purchased. Steering base came out much more rigid than v2.0 as well. Ambidextrous shifter mount to be installed tomorrow. Just finished fabrication with that. Will paint tomorrow.

Everytime I use my PC, something smells like its burning.

Get the blue screen of death occasionally as well.

Thinking about dismantling it and taking a closer look.

Anybody got any ideas?

Check your wiring. And maybe your CPU is overheating? How old is your PC and do you clean it once in a while?

Check your wiring. And maybe your CPU is overheating? How old is your PC and do you clean it once in a while?
The fans are working, it most likely is an overheating issue. It's about 3-4 years old, video card was repaired once a year ago. Hmm only clean it about once a year :/

Anything I should look out for when I'm disassembling?

Hmm. Check if your CPU heatsink still has any TIM (thermal paste). The heat from your CPU might not effectively transfer to the heatsink/cooling fan, that's why it overheats. Just a guess, though. Check for any burn marks or signs of any damage or wear, that should give you an idea.

I have an extra copy of Torchlight on Steam that I got when I pre-ordered Torchlight 2. I already had Torchlight and apparently you get a free copy of Torchlight with the pre-order. First person to hit me up with their Steam info gets it.

Edit: Gifted Torchlight to Milestailsprowe

Last edited:
The fans are working, it most likely is an overheating issue. It's about 3-4 years old, video card was repaired once a year ago. Hmm only clean it about once a year :/

Anything I should look out for when I'm disassembling?
First check your temps on your PC.
Then open get some bottled air and make sure there isn't any dust etc...

And ofc check for any signs of damage or burn.

Last day of the steam sale. Showed some pretty good restraint. Got the main game I was looking for though.
Skyrim is :pimp: loving it so far.

Finally my new motherboard just came in the mail: the ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula :pimp:

Definitely worth the long wait. :D

Just installing the drivers at the moment.

I've been eying that one for a while. ASUS makes some really nice mobos, that Sabertooth one looks really nice too.

So I have an issue with my internet connection. I installed a new modem like two weeks ago and ever since then I get really slow connection speeds around 6 am every day. Is there anything I can do on my side to fix that or do I need to call my ISP?
I'm hesitant to call them because I know all they will do is try to get me to rent their modem again and with theirs I had even more problems

No PS/2 ?
Nope. No PS/2 port.

omgitswes, I believe Microcenter has the Sabertooth Z77 for around $194 at the moment? You might want to check that out if you're in the market for a new board. not anymore.

Really happy with my Maximus V Formula. Waited quite a while for it as well. Guys on the ROG forums were borderline paranoid about its really late release. Heck, it isn't even out over here. Today, both the Maximus V Formula and the Maximus V Extreme are out and readily available. :smokin

Copped myself one of these the other night - the ASUS Xonar DGX:
asus-xonar-dgx.jpg

Plan to use it to offload Dolby Digital Live to my wireless Mixamp 5.8. So far so good.

Trying to save up ASAP for a watercooling loop. Ordering components by late November-early December so I have an early Christmas present. :lol:

Last edited:

installed new CPU Memory and Asus Mobo in new case

Led on Mobo lit up

press on button

power box flashed then off
everything dead

bad mobo
or bad power supply ?

it was the PSU it burned out i had a 1000 cheap PSU that i paid 85.00 for , now i have some other cheap one =D i have 5.8 overclock on h100 :smokin after 3 hours it blue screens though

Back
Top Bottom