Official San Antonio Spurs VS Memphis Grizzlies 1st Round Thread: MEM Win 4-2!

Originally Posted by PMatic

I never hated the Spurs. Besides the flopping which can get annoying, everything about their organization is first class. It was always telling to me that while Shaq was making fun of the Blazers and Kings in his heyday, he always gave respect to the Spurs.
@ChrisVernonShow Spurs GM RC Buford went in Grizzlies locker room to congratulate each players. Spurs organization is all class
First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

Shaq in his prime use to talk mad crap publicly about David Robinson. Shaq didn't like when the media compared him to the Admiral. Then when they played against each other in games Shaq would dunk on the Admiral and on the way down taunt him. The beef started in the mid 90's when Shaq on the final day of I think the 95-96 season was leading the league in PPG for the year and The Admiral in a meaning less final game of the that regular season went for 70 points against the Clippers to pass Shaq for leading scorer that season.

I never hated the Spurs. Besides the flopping which can get annoying, everything about their organization is first class. It was always telling to me that while Shaq was making fun of the Blazers and Kings in his heyday, he always gave respect to the Spurs.
@ChrisVernonShow Spurs GM RC Buford went in Grizzlies locker room to congratulate each players. Spurs organization is all class
First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

Shaq in his prime use to talk mad crap publicly about David Robinson. Shaq didn't like when the media compared him to the Admiral. Then when they played against each other in games Shaq would dunk on the Admiral and on the way down taunt him. The beef started in the mid 90's when Shaq on the final day of I think the 95-96 season was leading the league in PPG for the year and The Admiral in a meaning less final game of the that regular season went for 70 points against the Clippers to pass Shaq for leading scorer that season.

One big props that I like about the Spurs is this:

A year or 2 after the Spurs ended the Lakers 3 peat dynasty in the 02-03 season Greg Poppvich in a interview with ESPN reporters said "The player on the Shaq & Kobe led Laker teams that him & his coaching staff feared the most and had no answer for guarding was not Shaq and that it was Kobe especially during the playoff battles they had over the years with the Lakers (2001,20002) playoff series"

pimp.gif

If I can find it I'll post a the link to that article & interview Poppvich did with ESPN.

One big props that I like about the Spurs is this:

A year or 2 after the Spurs ended the Lakers 3 peat dynasty in the 02-03 season Greg Poppvich in a interview with ESPN reporters said "The player on the Shaq & Kobe led Laker teams that him & his coaching staff feared the most and had no answer for guarding was not Shaq and that it was Kobe especially during the playoff battles they had over the years with the Lakers (2001,20002) playoff series"

pimp.gif

If I can find it I'll post a the link to that article & interview Poppvich did with ESPN.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

No it started when reportedly Robinson turned down Shaq for an autograph in high school and even that's more of a personal matter than a professional one.

First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

No it started when reportedly Robinson turned down Shaq for an autograph in high school and even that's more of a personal matter than a professional one.

As a Mavs fan, I can breathe a lil sigh of relief as ppl can now talk about this Grizz and Spurs series for memorable playoff upsets since it'll be more recent than the Mavs' debacle vs the Warriors in 2007. Obviously, no one is gonna forget how the Mavs got punked by GSW that year but some of that attention will be deflected to this series now.

As a Mavs fan, I can breathe a lil sigh of relief as ppl can now talk about this Grizz and Spurs series for memorable playoff upsets since it'll be more recent than the Mavs' debacle vs the Warriors in 2007. Obviously, no one is gonna forget how the Mavs got punked by GSW that year but some of that attention will be deflected to this series now.

Originally Posted by jonwin

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Nice try
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jonwin

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Nice try
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

I think the stigma is, if you're gonna win, you'd better let most people who like basketball share in it. They share in it when Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett get a chip. They share in it with Kobe, Lamar, Artest and Pau. They would've shared in it with Shaq and D-Wade, but that wasn't basketball, that was a disgrace.

Now...what part of Manu Ginobili endears itself to anyone outside of Argentina and a scouting report? The Big Fundamental? All Tony Parker does is eat, play and $%*+. He's got more personality than Rondo, but none of the toughness or support around him.

Their basketball is just too old-fashioned. Lower ego, high accountability on both ends, neutral off-court personality. It ain't star driven enough, it doesn't have enough flair. Their core doesn't have enough personality...and in a way that's what makes them unpredictable. Their whole mentality of finding players isn't gonna make that kind of team. They love having veterans and sonned young players. They never wanna break the chemistry of the team so they always get guys who can blend into the background.

But it worked. And even there it's a letdown. Their biggest series wins were never in the Finals. They damn near swept us
tired.gif
, swept the Cavs and made everyone not watch the Finals against the Nets and Pistons. We'll at least remember they did it, but more on the tilt of them stopping other teams from winning.
It doesn't really matter but I never understood people that call the Spurs boring. I understand people hating on Duncan, he has a pretty flair-less game but Manu and Tony? They're awesome to watch. Tony is one of the best PGs in the game at getting in the paint and finishing. Crazy speed and handles. Manu throws flashy passes, dunks, drives recklessly, and hits big shots. I get that the team doesn't have much personality but I never understood people hating on the actual product. It's not like their grinding it out and winning every game 80 to 72 or something. People normally love offense and the Spurs were at the top of the L in that department this year.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

I think the stigma is, if you're gonna win, you'd better let most people who like basketball share in it. They share in it when Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett get a chip. They share in it with Kobe, Lamar, Artest and Pau. They would've shared in it with Shaq and D-Wade, but that wasn't basketball, that was a disgrace.

Now...what part of Manu Ginobili endears itself to anyone outside of Argentina and a scouting report? The Big Fundamental? All Tony Parker does is eat, play and $%*+. He's got more personality than Rondo, but none of the toughness or support around him.

Their basketball is just too old-fashioned. Lower ego, high accountability on both ends, neutral off-court personality. It ain't star driven enough, it doesn't have enough flair. Their core doesn't have enough personality...and in a way that's what makes them unpredictable. Their whole mentality of finding players isn't gonna make that kind of team. They love having veterans and sonned young players. They never wanna break the chemistry of the team so they always get guys who can blend into the background.

But it worked. And even there it's a letdown. Their biggest series wins were never in the Finals. They damn near swept us
tired.gif
, swept the Cavs and made everyone not watch the Finals against the Nets and Pistons. We'll at least remember they did it, but more on the tilt of them stopping other teams from winning.
It doesn't really matter but I never understood people that call the Spurs boring. I understand people hating on Duncan, he has a pretty flair-less game but Manu and Tony? They're awesome to watch. Tony is one of the best PGs in the game at getting in the paint and finishing. Crazy speed and handles. Manu throws flashy passes, dunks, drives recklessly, and hits big shots. I get that the team doesn't have much personality but I never understood people hating on the actual product. It's not like their grinding it out and winning every game 80 to 72 or something. People normally love offense and the Spurs were at the top of the L in that department this year.

Tony Parker's a boxer. He hides his moves, speed and expressions really well and seems to always finish the exact same way. Whereas someone like Chris Paul or Rondo are wrestlers. They don't hide, they show out loud.

Manu shows too, but if you don't understand how he's unlikeable, than I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, I respect them, sure. Would I want them starting on my team? Tomorrow. But that's not the question. They're not boring, because winning basketball is what it is. It's just when you put them next to the 10 most entertaining teams in the NBA, where are they gonna be? Sure they were different this year, than past years, but it takes more than a season and a small facelift to change opinions. Especially when the Grizz do them like that.

Tony Parker's a boxer. He hides his moves, speed and expressions really well and seems to always finish the exact same way. Whereas someone like Chris Paul or Rondo are wrestlers. They don't hide, they show out loud.

Manu shows too, but if you don't understand how he's unlikeable, than I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, I respect them, sure. Would I want them starting on my team? Tomorrow. But that's not the question. They're not boring, because winning basketball is what it is. It's just when you put them next to the 10 most entertaining teams in the NBA, where are they gonna be? Sure they were different this year, than past years, but it takes more than a season and a small facelift to change opinions. Especially when the Grizz do them like that.

They're not boring.

They play a very controlled and disciplined type of basketball. Its a shame they lost against a great Memphis team.. their getting older and the cycle is dying. I do believe this season was one of the last of that cycle.

They're not boring.

They play a very controlled and disciplined type of basketball. Its a shame they lost against a great Memphis team.. their getting older and the cycle is dying. I do believe this season was one of the last of that cycle.

First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

--This. The Admiral seemed like a class act, but kinda like Ray Allen they give off the nice guy look but are ultimately punks.
--I aint knocking Robinson's game though. I mean dude was on the original Dream Team. But also got punked by The Dream on his MVP year.
roll.gif

-

First class.
pimp.gif

Umm..

Yeah no. Not always.

--This. The Admiral seemed like a class act, but kinda like Ray Allen they give off the nice guy look but are ultimately punks.
--I aint knocking Robinson's game though. I mean dude was on the original Dream Team. But also got punked by The Dream on his MVP year.
roll.gif

-

Kobe and Phil never go at SA either, always call them a great organization.  Phil makes fun of the city a little, but he does that in every small city. 

And agreed with Matic, Shaq only went at David because he was slighted, Shaq never went at Duncan or any of the other Spurs.  Even Bruce Bowen never got hated on by them. 

Kobe and Phil never go at SA either, always call them a great organization.  Phil makes fun of the city a little, but he does that in every small city. 

And agreed with Matic, Shaq only went at David because he was slighted, Shaq never went at Duncan or any of the other Spurs.  Even Bruce Bowen never got hated on by them. 

Back
Top Bottom