:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2012-2013 Season Thread - Training Camp Starts July 27:::

"They didn't want any part of us up front," left tackle Joe Staley said.

"Look at the game. We killed them. Every single pressure they got was cheap. It was on a keep or something like that. They weren't beating us one on one. We ran for about 200 yards (148 yards) on the so-called best D-line in all of football."

When told that it sounds as if Staley believes the Lions' defensive line -- consisting of Ndamukong Suh, Cliff Avril, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams -- is overrated, Staley offered confirmation.

"Extremely," he said. "I've never been impressed by the Detroit Lions' defensive line."

Said Davis, "They think highly of themselves. I heard they said they were the best D-line in the league or something. I feel that's disrespectful to other good defensive lines."

Prior to the first game of the season, Vanden Bosch told Mlive.com, "If we're not the most dominant defensive line in the league, I feel like we're not doing our job."

Right guard Alex Boone, who went up against Suh for most of the game, was told what Staley had said just a couple locker stalls away.

"No comment," Boone said. "I'm not about to say anything that gets me in trouble. They're happy with me right now. I thought they (the Lions) were a good team.

"We knew they were going to be physical. There was a lot of jawing. We knew that would happen. At the end of the day, we out-punched them. I thought we did a great job with that."

Staley and Davis were far less diplomatic of their assessment of the Lions' defensive line and the tactics of the Lions.

"Up front, they like to pride themselves on being cheap after the play," Staley said. "They think they're physical because they do that. We stuck with them, chasing them down the field. We set the tone early of not being able to do that with us. I think they were a little taken aback by that.

"They like to hustle down field and jump on piles and we were sticking with them until the play was done so they weren't able to do that."

Said Davis, "It's not really an I'm-going-to-line-up-and-kick-your-(butt) kind of D-line. But people always say stuff like that. They're good at post-play stuff. They're good at getting away with nudging you at the end of a play, stuff like that."

Following the 49ers' victory over the Lions last season at Ford Field, Davis and Avril got into a lively dialogue on Twitter. That episode was overshadowed by the handshake involving the two coaches.

While coaches Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz shook hands before and after the game Sunday, Davis and Avril continued their feud. At one point, Avril appeared to try to rip Davis' helmet off his head at the conclusion of one play.

"He hates me," Davis said. "We don't even know each other, but you can just tell it burns him up."

shots fired :lol:

:smokin

Still some work to be done. Leaving some points on the field, we need more TD's instead of FG's
Just like last year CJ gets his yards which is expected BUT no Touchdown :D
I'd like to see more Moss
Alex Smith another workmen like performance. I think the offense has the potential to be even better.
Offense 0 turnovers.
Are defense gave up 97 yards on the ground :smh:

Oh and that 21/30 could have easily been 26/30 if it we not for the drops.

Last edited:
man the stick was DUMB LIVE yesterday. my favorite part was in the 4th quarter when they played bailey's "whos got it better than us" and the entire stadium would respond noooobody.

FEELS DAMN GOOD TO BE A NINER!! :smokin

Still some work to be done. Leaving some points on the field, we need more TD's instead of FG's
Just like last year CJ gets his yards which is expected BUT no Touchdown
Alex Smith another workmen like performance. I think the offense has the potential to be even better.

I agree on all points.

Following up on my point of criticism from last week, I thought Joe Staley played much better. I think the O-line in general was a bit better than the first game.

I wish I knew the answer for fact but it seems like if they Niners get an early TD and maintain a decent lead, they are going to go conservative basically the rest of the way. That's putting a lot on their defense, though. I hope it's a early season thing where they don't want to put too much on tape for future opponents and as the weeks go on the conservatism will be lifted.

I'd also like them to mix in some more QB runs...it'll help open up the field for them too.

man the stick was DUMB LIVE yesterday. my favorite part was in the 4th quarter when they played bailey's "whos got it better than us" and the entire stadium would respond noooobody.

Damn, that sounds sick.

How much do the cheapest tix cost? #poor.

Just like last year CJ gets his yards which is expected BUT no Touchdown

I agree on all points.

Last edited:
Damn, that sounds sick.
How much do the cheapest tix cost? #poor.
Depends on who the reseller was. I got mine a couple weeks ago, 2 for $275. Me and my lady sat lower box 5 rows from the field. But my boy found tickets the morning of gameday, also lower box but it was 2 for $180 behind the south endzone. Since we're the hot ticket in town prices will be :x Last week at kickoff against Green Bay stubhub had tickets for $215 at the cheapest. 10 minutes after we won tickets skyrocketed to $535. Best plan is to either get tickets early or wait extremely late because resellers will realize they're asking too much.

Following up on my point of criticism from last week, I thought Joe Staley played much better. I think the O-line in general was a bit better than the first game.
I wish I knew the answer for fact but it seems like if they Niners get an early TD and maintain a decent lead, they are going to go conservative basically the rest of the way. That's putting a lot on their defense, though. I hope it's a early season thing where they don't want to put too much on tape for future opponents and as the weeks go on the conservatism will be lifted.
I'd also like them to mix in some more QB runs...it'll help open up the field for them too.
I felt the same watching live. If Harbaugh and his staff felt like they could beat Detroit playing vanilla then great. Risky, but great. I'm not the biggest fan of that mentality but if it works, it works.

i went to a bunch of games during the mike nolan/mike singletary era and in terms of atmosphere, last night was the loudest i've ever heard candlestick. i went to games in the early/mid 90's but i really don't remember much of them but the crowd was loud all night long. did you get one of those 49er faithful flags? i got to the game a little late and i seen a bunch of people with those flags. i'll be grubbing on jack in the box tacos this week lmao

ima probably make the trip for the bears game in novemeber if i don't have anything important to do school wise that week.

that hit on calvin johnson :pimp:

Game was awesome last night. TACOS and FLAGS with a Niner win?! What else can we ask for? :smokin Great game. It's week 2, we have room for improvement. Alex, good job. That is all...for now.

Alex looking a lot more comfortable and Crabtree finally playing well. Gore/Hunter combo looks real solid also. The D? What else is there to say about them? They play fundamental football, hit hard, and minimize mistakes. Team is looking real good so far. :pimp:

Merril Hodge said we have the best offense in the league.

On paper probably yes, execution wise I say no. I say no because we leave too many points on the field IMO, which is why David Akers is so key for us. We know how to run, we know how to throw, we know how to get near or close the the red zone, but I would say 2 out of 3 times we are in the red zone we end up settling for a field goal. We have to do better than that and capitalize on those opportunities to take our offense to the next level.

Last edited:
On paper probably yes, execution wise I say no. I say no because we leave too many points on the field IMO, which is why David Akers is so key for us. We know how to run, we know how to throw, we know how to get near or close the the red zone, but I would say 2 out of 3 times we are in the red zone we end up settling for a field goal. We have to do better than that and capitalize on those opportunities to take our offense to the next level.

We are 3/4 in the Redzone. 3 TDs and 1FG. We've also scored two touchdowns from 20 yards away. So from no more than 25 yards away we are 5/6. We're scoring TD's from no more than 25 yards on 83% of our possessions. But in the redzone, you're saying we're scoring field goals 66% of the time, when we're scoring TDs 75% of the time. I don't see how 3/4 in the redzone and 5/6 from within the 25 is not capitalizing on those opportunities.

Last edited:
We are 3/4 in the Redzone. 3 TDs and 1FG. We've also scored two touchdowns from 20 yards away. So from no more than 25 yards away we are 5/6. We're scoring TD's from no more than 25 yards on 83% of our possessions. But in the redzone, you're saying we're scoring field goals 66% of the time, when we're scoring TDs 75% of the time. I don't see how 3/4 in the redzone and 5/6 from within the 25 is not capitalizing on those opportunities.

Fair enough since you looked up the stats. If I were to take the word "redzone" out of my statement it would have been more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom