OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

More than doubled up on AAPL today, which is a little scary, but this thing is gonna hit $175 by this time next year. 

Decided I needed more long-term stocks to hold onto. Just gonna stash these away and leave them untouched.

AAPL 128.30
WFC 55.50
XOM 87.70

XOM, CVX and BP seem to be 3 of the better options for the sector. I don't think you can go too wrong with either one. really comes down to preference, management team, debt/legal issues, etc.

Quoting this post for reference. Kept this in the back of my head.

bottom of value for the week in AAPL is around 105, for the year around 100. Should see some support at either level in the near term.

Long term I don't see how this name doesn't go on another tear. Only the greater market can hold it down so if the /ES keeps dumping and breaks support this probably will follow suit. But if the market cooperates this should make new highs in due time.

There was a graph posted by CML (I actually think the service is gonna be free if I interpretted a tweet correctly) where AAPL's r&d spending is really low in comparison to MSFT and a few other companies. Let me see if I can find that graphic. Idk if it means AAPL has a ton in its pipeline, or it's become too complacent and too focused on buy backs (another graphic shows them head and shoulders above other companies in buy back's).

View media item 1354018View media item 1354019
These graphs show why I actually like XOM off dips as oil crashes. No position though.

View media item 1354009View media item 1354010

Last edited:
Whats a good broker to use? Currently I'm on Sharebuilder which has only $6.95 in commission fees but isn't that user friendly. I also have a Capital One savings account so I can instantly transfer money into the account when I need.

I'm looking at TD Ameritrade and E-Trade as possibilities but I'm not a huge fan of the $9.99 per trade in fees. I plan to mostly swing trade with about $3k starting. Would like something that has a good app to trade from an iPhone and has charting tools included.

Anyone have any suggestions?

nobody has a better app/platform than thinkorswim. what you could do if you really want the cheapest commission is make an account with tos, never fund it and use it solely for charting and go with the cheapest broker around. however, just know, you often get what you pay for with brokers. something like options house has some of the best options rates, but it's also very unreliable and has poor customer service. so do your research and see what works for you. commissions are the cost of doing business, they suck, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
always average down n book losses.
So let me get this straight, if I took $1.00 (hypothetical) hit on AAPL in the last day, I can sell that **** right now, buy back in right after, and assuming I hold through 2015, I can take the $1.00 write off on my 2015 taxes?

So let me get this straight, if I took $1.00 (hypothetical) hit on AAPL in the last day, I can sell that **** right now, buy back in right after, and assuming I hold through 2015, I can take the $1.00 write off on my 2015 taxes?

any time u sell,.u have a tax consequence.

best thing you can do with a long term position is pick x dollar amount you want in that stock.

so i like AAPL. i want to invest 5 grand in it. well AAPL is at 130, i want exposure in case it keeps running, but i dont want to be stuck with a bad average and i dont want to average down because that's a bad habit. so what do i do? maybe i buy 1 grand worth and look to add in another grand at 120. gets to 120 i add in and my average is something like 125.

always keep powder on the sidelines to take advantage of dips in strong names that you like for the long term.

difference between adding in and averaging down? you're not putting more risk on the table when adding in, you're just being calculated in your accumulation process. if you're averaging down, you're potentially putting yourself in a position to have more monetary risk on the table than you desired and you can eventually blow up an account by constantly averaging down without a plan.

But what about this??? Lol c'mon experts! 

I was under the impression you couldn't buy right back in and take the loss (up to $3k) on your taxes. I thought you had to wait like 90 days to buy back in if you're going to take the loss on W-2. 

Back
Top Bottom