OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Got some UA for 81.11, DIS for 93.84, NKE for 100.26 and AAPL for 101.58 yesterday

pimp.gif

More plunges pls

Best Buy is back. Anyone else think the surge in their stock price can be somewhat attributed to todays rebound from yesterday?

Absolutely. Positive ER will always get a nice boost when the rest of the market is happy.

I'm still personally not convinced B&M stores (especially electronics) will be relevant in the future.
I'm not either. Amazon is going for the finishing move with same-day delivery in some areas; Best Buy and the like will have to revolutionize their store models, or drop prices so low that margins are being squeezed to the absolute most they can handle.

Got some UA for 81.11, DIS for 93.84, NKE for 100.26 and AAPL for 101.58 yesterday

:pimp:

More plunges pls
Holding thise for the long term or selling for a quick come up? Good **** either way :pimp:

I'm not either. Amazon is going for the finishing move with same-day delivery in some areas; Best Buy and the like will have to revolutionize their store models, or drop prices so low that margins are being squeezed to the absolute most they can handle.
Holding thise for the long term or selling for a quick come up? Good **** either way
pimp.gif
long... just got into options not too long ago

The more I learn about investing the better I realize it is to spend time on figuring out how to make more money (as opposed to get better returns) given a specific amount of free hours (e.g., learn Excel/coding/software better vs. learn about the markets) since my capital is not high enough (e.g., 300k+).

Once I start working in January I plan to primarily get down with Exchange Traded Funds and use either Betterment or Wealthfront. Anyone have any experience with either of those? They seem pretty legit. I'll try to send over $500 or so a month auto deposited over there each month out of my bank to start with and hopefully increase that amount gradually.

Is there any real reason to learn significantly more about investing?

Though after reading a few random books about investing I strongly (with great behavioral bias i assume) think that is a great strategy:
1. Pick 10 large cap companies.
2. Put limit buy for them when their price drops 3%
3. Wait for the eventual rebound and profit.
4. Repeat.

Why is this a terrible strategy? I only thought this because stocks dropped a lot yesterday at the start of the market and Apple had dropped 8.9% (106 down to 95). If I had this theory in place I would of bought it at 102 and it did the expected rebound (maybe in the future this rebound may take multiple months/even a year but if the company is legit then buy and hold doesn't matter) I would of been sitting at 109 today (and likely will eventually get to 120 sometime in the next 2 months). Gets a 17.64% return in as "risk-free" a way as possible (given the unlikeliness of those large cap, researched stocks to bottom out in the long run).

What happens when we enter a bear market?

Your strategy worked the past 4 years but doing something like that blindly now could leave you as a bag holder. Sure it's great to own the best possible companies, but if the market is crashing, everything is going to go with it.

You guys that want to invest and haven't been doing this for a long time, I strongly advise you to at least learn how to hedge and protect yourself.

Last edited:
We rejected weekly value area low so yeah, this gonna get good, we're heading lower. Hit supply and rejected it. Stay safe y'all, if you have some quick gains, ladder out and move the stops.

I have lost 50% in oil futures and natural gas. Should I cut my losses now or hope for a rise

I can't tell you what to do, if you're comfortable with taking the loss and moving on, learning from this experience, go ahead. Nothing has to bounce in this market. There is no thing as being oversold. What matters is having a defined risk reward and knowing what you're willing to risk. It's important to have an "Oh ****" handle that you pull to keep your account alive. The goal of this game is to stay alive and avoid blowing out. You get hopeful, that's when you blow out. You're down 50%, there's a chance you sell and it bounces and you feel like ****, but there's also a chance you don't sell, you wait for the bounce, and you blow up. Know your max pain and your risk and follow your plan. If you don't have a plan, risk, max pain, etc. you shouldn't be taking any trade.

Any major events tomorrow that might trigger it? What's China doing to stabilize their markets?

I'm bout to set a very high stop on my options :lol:

Last edited:
I'm just going by the hourly charts for a bunch of stocks, just looks like it it wants continuation lower. So maybe panic sells from morons using market orders to get out and boom. I've got a few stocks on my scan that can go either way, a few that look short biased, so we'll see premarket how things are. I just want to be more patient tomorrow to take the best setups instead of a 50/50 trade that wastes my buying power and miss out on a fade or ramp or something.

Last edited:
basically everything i had on scan gapped up and hit the upside targets if there were any :lol: time to adjust and either buy dips or look for fade. gotta let the price action tell me.

RIG cutting its dividend again. Remember some folks wanted to buy the dip in this one months ago, hope no one did it. My thesis to avoid was eventual dividend cuts, and well, they happened. This is why you don't just buy stocks randomly because they're down. You need a plan and process. A great company can look great and in a day never catch a bid again.

Last edited:
finally executed well today. had FB 83 puts for .80, sold them for 1.27. only a 5 lot, but still a decent little check. I had to add some funds to the account a few days ago, but so be it. didn't get emotional today, stayed stoic and traded well. wanted a double, but decided to just take the quick flush and move on since this is a really choppy market. if i had a 10 lot, ideally would have sold half raised stop to break even or a buck and tried to ride it out.

Back
Top Bottom