***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Looking to get my first tattoo before summer. I'm being anti hipster and getting a panther tat on my calf.

Found this guy Sneaky Mitch Allenden in the UK that does these crazy animal designs. I'm thinking he can give a classic/played out theme a fresh twist.

I was suposed to have my final tattoo session on my half sleeve with a final touch-up here and there. but my artist was sick and she was running to the bathroom like every 10 minutes 
laugh.gif
. She indeed finished the tattoo minus the final touch-ups, which we will do in 2 weeks. She also charged me like 50 bucks for 1,5 hours (her rate is 125 per hour) for the inconvenience, so that was cool of her.

I'm about to get my 2 kids names on my forearm or bicep....not sure yet. Can anyone post some some pics of names with some type of shadowing just so I can get some ideas...Thanks

So I ended up going with my gut and booked an appointment with Henry Lewis coming up mid march, my question is how I should handle the final sketch when I go in on tattoo day? It's my first one so I'm definitely nervous, but what do I do as far as offering feedback on his drawing and making little tweaks or what if I completely dislike it?

Had another session on my Japanese influenced half sleeve. This time we did cherry blossom in color. In 2 weeks we will finish the flowers and do some touch ups here and there and then the tattoo will finally be done. Here's a quick picture that I took after the session. The intensity of the flowers will fade a little bit.

Really like the way this came out. Props man.

I saw Fong make mention of the bottom areama page or so ago, I tried googling but couldnt find clarification...those are called "wind bars"?

Im looking to get a half sleeve done between now and summer and have the idea mocked up in my mind.

I want the bottom part of my sleeve to have that wind bar design, but in a rotation of 3 different colors (blue, orange, green).

I actually tried to get it done back in August, but the shop I went to told me they wouldnt do it because they'll only do that design in one color, and that it wouldnt come out right.

Anyone know if that's actually feasible or is it going to be really hard to get that done?

I'm about to get my 2 kids names on my forearm or bicep....not sure yet. Can anyone post some some pics of names with some type of shadowing just so I can get some ideas...Thanks

If you like wild script, check Norm Will Rise's blog. Some inspiration and ideas to get you started anyways. Mr. Cartoon is also a good reference on som script. As much as I don't like his tattoos no more, he still has clean handwriting skills.

http://willrisestudio.tumblr.com/

So I ended up going with my gut and booked an appointment with Henry Lewis coming up mid march, my question is how I should handle the final sketch when I go in on tattoo day? It's my first one so I'm definitely nervous, but what do I do as far as offering feedback on his drawing and making little tweaks or what if I completely dislike it?

When I got my tattoo at Skull and Sword, I sort of overheard a similar conversation those guys had about sketches and clients. They said they never like showing clients tons of ideas cause it will just give them too many ideas to think about. I would think Henry will just come at you with one sketch for you too look at. You can give him criticism in changing things and I think he will just change it the day you are there but you could be sitting there for a while. Overall though if you really don’t like it, you can just waive the white flag and say you aren’t feeling this and see if he can either do something totally different or just part ways. Not sure how that deposit works though but I am sure Henry can accommodate your needs.

One thing though about Henry that I’ve seen is he can be super wild sometimes when tattooing. I went 5 hours in a sitting with Lango and he whipped out two tattoos with two clients. Mind you the two tattoos weren’t super good but I hope you give him some sort of idea that you want to have a serious tattoo cause if you are concerned with money, he might just do that tattoo fast.

Really like the way this came out. Props man.

I saw Fong make mention of the bottom areama page or so ago, I tried googling but couldnt find clarification...those are called "wind bars"?

Im looking to get a half sleeve done between now and summer and have the idea mocked up in my mind.

I want the bottom part of my sleeve to have that wind bar design, but in a rotation of 3 different colors (blue, orange, green).

I actually tried to get it done back in August, but the shop I went to told me they wouldnt do it because they'll only do that design in one color, and that it wouldnt come out right.

Anyone know if that's actually feasible or is it going to be really hard to get that done?

I think it is feasible but I don’t think it is recommended. I would think the shop didn’t want to do it just cause it would make them look sort of bad in a way. Traditionally it should only be black cause it is supposed to really only be a background filler. I am sure you can find someone to do it but also be prepared for them to tell you that it’s not how it is done. Me personally, I have never really seen wind bars in so many colors like that.

Can someone recommend any good shops or artists out in San Francisco or the Bay Area? Thanks

This was posted in the Nor Cal forum by Osyrhiz:

Humble Beginnings. San Jose, CA
Analog Tattoo. San Jose, CA
State Of Grace. San Jose, CA
Seventh Son. San Francisco, CA
War Horse. Berkeley, CA
Everlasting Tattoo San Francisco, CA
Idle Hands. San Francisco, CA
Spider Murphy's. San Raphael, CA
Ed Hardy's Tattoo City. San Francisco, CA
FTW. Oakland, CA
Skull & Sword. San Francisco, CA
Diamond Club. San Francisco, CA
My Garage. Hayward, CA
Blackheard. San Francisco, CA

Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good...

http://niketalk.com/t/514595/in-search-of-tattoo-shop-guy

Got an appointment with jun set up for next year and in talks with nikko's ppl to start one soon. I'm currently tat-less and can't wait to get my arms done.

To put it bluntly, its going to look stupid like that man. It will NOT look good at all.

[quote name="Mr Fongstarr" url="/t/503844/official-tattoo-thread-inked-4-life-vol-2/660#]
When I got my tattoo at Skull and Sword, I sort of overheard a similar conversation those guys had about sketches and clients. They said they never like showing clients tons of ideas cause it will just give them too many ideas to think about. I would think Henry will just come at you with one sketch for you too look at. You can give him criticism in changing things and I think he will just change it the day you are there but you could be sitting there for a while. Overall though if you really don’t like it, you can just waive the white flag and say you aren’t feeling this and see if he can either do something totally different or just part ways. Not sure how that deposit works though but I am sure Henry can accommodate your needs.

One thing though about Henry that I’ve seen is he can be super wild sometimes when tattooing. I went 5 hours in a sitting with Lango and he whipped out two tattoos with two clients. Mind you the two tattoos weren’t super good but I hope you give him some sort of idea that you want to have a serious tattoo cause if you are concerned with money, he might just do that tattoo fast. [/quote]

Thanks for the quick response again bro, this really worries the **** out of me.... I mean it is my first tattoo and im willing to spend a grip at $200 bucks an hour, I expect it to be amazing you know. I saw one he recently posted on instagram with a bear and a california banner and it didnt look very well done...the bear looked goofy as hell and the eye looked crooked or something (maybe his client which was a girl wanted it like that?) I will say that I liked how it looked in the shop really clean and henry seemed like a nice guy and had some good input and knowledge on the subject of my tattoo ( Andean condor, he suggested adding some wind and andes mountains in teh background which i like alot)

I was looking back in the thread and that george campise guy from war horse in berkeley is super sick and I kind of wish I had went to check him out too, I imagine he would be in the $200 hr range also? Like I said im not scheduled until march so i have time to cancel or I might just get some script because I do like how henry does script for sure.

One last thing sorry for the long read, i found this tattoo by drew flores of state of grace in San Jose...he specializes in aztec/chicano type of tattoos and this is more of the style i was looking to get my condor in

do you know anything about this guy or others who have this style ?

Thanks for the quick response again bro, this really worries the **** out of me.... I mean it is my first tattoo and im willing to spend a grip at $200 bucks an hour, I expect it to be amazing you know. I saw one he recently posted on instagram with a bear and a california banner and it didnt look very well done...the bear looked goofy as hell and the eye looked crooked or something (maybe his client which was a girl wanted it like that?) I will say that I liked how it looked in the shop really clean and henry seemed like a nice guy and had some good input and knowledge on the subject of my tattoo ( Andean condor, he suggested adding some wind and andes mountains in teh background which i like alot)

I was looking back in the thread and that george campise guy from war horse in berkeley is super sick and I kind of wish I had went to check him out too, I imagine he would be in the $200 hr range also? Like I said im not scheduled until march so i have time to cancel or I might just get some script because I do like how henry does script for sure.

One last thing sorry for the long read, i found this tattoo by drew flores of state of grace in San Jose...he specializes in aztec/chicano type of tattoos and this is more of the style i was looking to get my condor in

I don't know much about the guy. But the shop is one of the best you can go to. If you are in the area if San Jose. Another person to look at is "Toby" from humble beginnings. His Instagram is "Toby2Thumbs" his script is flawless. He can tattoo all styles, been going to him for about 5-6 years now. Trust the guy with my body. No romo. As for state of grace you can't go wrong with them. I got homies with full body tattoos from them. Any shop around the World can vouch for them. They are the ones who host the "bay area tattoo convention" which houses all the top artist in the world.

So i talked to Laura Juan over facebook. We had great conversation, then I said I am darkskinned so she said she cant even do it :smh:

Ffs i was planning my trip to spain around this *****.

Haha. I saw that bear tattoo as well. Maybe he had to make it more feminine. It wasn’t totally bad but it wasn’t like magazine quality.

To be fair, he did this other bear below and that is way better. Actually he did a wolf tattoo about a month ago as well and it was seriously one of the sickest tattoos I’ve seen from him. Too bad the user that he tattooed it on deleted his Instagram profile but I assure you it was something that we’d all like. All black and white with white eyeballs. IMO, I would only get script from Henry even though I already know I would never get script anyways. But his style of writing is so unique and if you don’t get what you originally wanted, a script tat is a good consolation.

I mentioned this on a post pages back but tattoo artists are not always as consistent as you might think. Yes they put out good work but even some of their stuff you’d questions the quality of it. This being your first tattoo, you will ultimately never be as satisfied as you want. If you are like me, you might hate your tattoo at first but grow to like it and only to want to get more tattoos that will be ultimately better then you first tattoo….which will make you hate that tattoo even more. Haha. You’ll get past it though and by the end of it, it will just be a tattoo that will remind you of a time of life you were at. Hate to get all airy fairy about it but I think almost everyone gets to that point as well.

As for that guy at Warhorse, I would think the same thing applies to him about not always putting out magazine quality stuff but his portfolio was damn impressive and his shop is super sick. He actually did some artwork for some skate companies that I like, so that is an added plus in my book that he has an artistic background like that. I would totally consider him as well if I didn’t already have a laundry list of people I want tattoos from. And yes……State Of Grace guys are one of the best in the game. It really comes down to just personal preference I guess. Don’t rush yourself even if you want to get tattooed right away. I this research will eventually payoff.

If an artist likes your idea, he is going to do wonders with it. If its something that is just meh, they'll do it just to do it (to their ability of course). Its like anything else, tattoo might be their passion but they tattoo so much that its routine to them. If an idea really catches their eye, they are gonna go ham on it.

Tattoo artists are human too.

Thanks a lot for the input fellas, a lot of great info and advice and I will def. take this into consideration. I gotta go check some of these shops out in person but I'm in stockton and don't get much time off work to drive to San Jose.

Fong if I do decide to stay with henry and my current idea, how do I convey this idea that I want a serious tattoo without sounding like a **** and pissing him off

Back
Top Bottom