Official tax refund thread vol. for the 2015 tax year

Bros,

If you are single with no dependents, no mortgage, and aren't paying tuition out of pocket .. there's really no reason to think you getting some crazy refund back

Question, I had TT deluxe last year, and had some Capital losses. The amount ended up adding only like $20 to my refund amount. Knowing this, does one have to report something like that even though I'd be spending $30 to "gain" a $20 refund amount? Wouldn't the Govt be happy I'm not even filing that portion?

Student loans question. 1098E. Who can claim that amount? It's in my name, but technically not paid in my name. If my parents use it, their credit may be better than when I do it.

Bros,

If you are single with no dependents, no mortgage, and aren't paying tuition out of pocket .. there's really no reason to think you getting some crazy refund back
Right, $1000 in federal taxes is not a lot. You really can't expect to get much back.

Man, I wish I could only pay the Fed government 1k a year
laugh.gif

paid around 9k last year
Wanna trade incomes?

@heLiumcLinton what confuses me is that after my first W-2 (really small, weekend only job for beer money) I got the full box 2 amount, but then everything went to hell as soon as I put in my 2nd W-2 (full-time 40 hour workweek)

I'm still waiting for my 1095-A or whatever to come in the mail. And I might just leave out anything from the 1098 altogether since I'm pretty sure I paid less than $600 in student loan interest. Gotta keep playing with these numbers until I get some kind of return.

There really isn't anything to play with. Check your W4s, you aren't giving the government enough money in your paycheck.

Sounds like your allowance amount should be 0 (assuming it is 1 currently). 

I paid 10K in federal taxes last year only got a return because of my mortgage and paying for school out of pocket.

Last edited:
@heLiumcLinton what confuses me is that after my first W-2 (really small, weekend only job for beer money) I got the full box 2 amount, but then everything went to hell as soon as I put in my 2nd W-2 (full-time 40 hour workweek)

Yeah because if you only had a small weekend job there would be no reason to tax you, but you had two jobs and only give 1K? That seems really low. Did you just get these jobs? I know you're probably saying you don't make enough money to be having to pay back taxes but in the real world it comes off as you don't have any responsibilities so why would you need a tax break?

Last edited:
my full time job had me at about 1200 for a refund then after my part time/whenever i feel like it job it dropped 300

Submitted my tax return on Jan 13th via Freetaxusa (easy interface if you are knowledgeable in deductions), still waiting on my refund to be approved for $5958. IRS is wildin'...

Submitted my tax return on Jan 13th via Freetaxusa (easy interface if you are knowledgeable in deductions), still waiting on my refund to be approved for $5958. IRS is wildin'...
did you go to they site to see the date they will deposit ?

I thought I'd get more money with having a kid this year. Guess not 
frown.gif

Anyone know how to file with an 83b? Do i even need to file it if there was no gains on my options?

which turbo tax edition do i need. one job, some gains on some stocks
single with no dependents
how easy it to file?
i always end up paying every yr

Is anyone else not filing yet because of this health insurrance bs? I was covered all of 2014 because of school, but dropped credits before graduating for my last spring semester in 2015. I worked a couple part time gigs to finish up the year which weren't eligible for benefits. They said they'll garnish $695 since I was basically uninsured for all of 2015.

Is anyone else not filing yet because of this health insurrance bs? I was covered all of 2014 because of school, but dropped credits before graduating for my last spring semester in 2015. I worked a couple part time gigs to finish up the year which weren't eligible for benefits. They said they'll garnish $695 since I was basically uninsured for all of 2015.

you can't run from the health fine bro :lol:

There are ways around it if you don't feel bad about lying. :lol:

They included 2 hardship clauses that don't require any sort of documentation. They're being homeless and being a domestic abuse victim.

I'm not advocating cheating the system, but those are 2 ways to exempt yourself from the penalty, should that be your goal. And with both of those, I'd imagine it'd be difficult for them to disprove your claim should they investigate. Could you imagine the uproar if the federal government denied people claiming domestic abuse???

If you read a couple pages back I think, someone posted and also one of my friends said the same thing. When he filled it out on turbo tax they just asked him a yes or no question if healthcare was affordable to him through his employer or something like that all he said was no even though his employer had health insurance options available I guess it was just too expensive for him and they automatically exempted him and skipped it when he selected no and went on with the rest of the filing. Not sure how that worked but it sounded easy. I know you said you weren't eligible for benefits but if getting it alone or through work if it was offered for full price or something maybe you can just select it wasn't affordable. I'm not sure myself though but just giving you any help I can think of.

Last edited:
Started a simple return with turbotax and my 2 W-2s this morning. All of sudden, I'm gonna end up owing $418 even though I've paid over a $1,000 in federal taxes last year???

2rgm2he.jpg

lol

Getting 11k back in taxes this year :nthat:

They still took out 31k form me last year tho :x

I'd much rather have that money in my paycheck instead of getting a huge return.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom