Official TMNT thread, return of the classic giant figures

:rofl: @ the thought of Scorsese making a TMNT movie...c'mon man...lmao

Leo as Leo

Weebay.gif

:lol: my post was pure sarcasm

Eastman and Lairds TMNT was already comprised over 20 years ago by becoming a purely commercial enterprise designed to sell as many toys as possible to children; any merit it has thereafter is incidental. TMNT was never a good particularly property and only is being resurrected for nostalgia-profiteering on the backs of some increasingly high blood pressured manchildren approaching their 40's, which is actually a more admirable aim than exploiting children... arguably sadder though.

Last edited:
:lol: my post was pure sarcasm

Eastman and Lairds TMNT was already comprised over 20 years ago by becoming a purely commercial enterprise designed to sell as many toys as possible to children; any merit it has thereafter is incidental. TMNT was never a good particularly property and only is being resurrected for nostalgia-profiteering on the backs of some increasingly high blood pressured manchildren approaching their 40's, which is actually a more admirable aim than exploiting children... arguably sadder though.

DEAD ON!

Think of it this way guys, what appealed to you when you were 6 still appeals to you in your 30's? most likely not, let's be honest the OG turtles movies was no masterpiece, it was a fun, quirky fighting movie with a couple of punch lines, it's best merit was the FX crew, they looked awesome at a time when CGI was none existent, so it woooowed us all as kids, ya expect to be wooooowed the same way again by a remake?...no you won't because we are grown now, expectations are much higher, almost everything is CGI and we live in a time when we actually see a
Real life gun wielding, smart mouth Racoon, because if you place Rocket next to a real
Racoon on screen you won't know which is real and which is not, so now we are sort of expecting amazing visuals a dope action packed plot, etc etc from a movie that was only a classic because of when it was released and because it was the first, by the time The 3rd TMNT movie came out, the franchise was done for.

TMNTs pull back in the day was their toys, that's what sold, don't go into it expecting this to be the film of the year and you won't be dissapointed, turn off your 30 year old brain and dig deep for your 6 year old self and I guarantee you'll be more than pleased.

Just ask yourself, if 6 year old you was watching this movie what would he think?

DEAD ON!

Think of it this way guys, what appealed to you when you were 6 still appeals to you in your 30's? most likely not, let's be honest the OG turtles movies was no masterpiece, it was a fun, quirky fighting movie with a couple of punch lines, it's best merit was the FX crew, they looked awesome at a time when CGI was none existent, so it woooowed us all as kids, ya expect to be wooooowed the same way again by a remake?...no you won't because we are grown now, expectations are much higher, almost everything is CGI and we live in a time when we actually see a
Real life gun wielding, smart mouth Racoon, because if you place Rocket next to a real
Racoon on screen you won't know which is real and which is not, so now we are sort of expecting amazing visuals a dope action packed plot, etc etc from a movie that was only a classic because of when it was released and because it was the first, by the time The 3rd TMNT movie came out, the franchise was done for.

TMNTs pull back in the day was their toys, that's what sold, don't go into it expecting this to be the film of the year and you won't be dissapointed, turn off your 30 year old brain and dig deep for your 6 year old self and I guarantee you'll be more than pleased.

Just ask yourself, if 6 year old you was watching this movie what would he think?
iuno i looked at the tmnt movie recently and it wasnt great but its overall premise it still was a decent/pretty good movie. Same with the animated series. The new animated series even tho im older (the nick version) is pretty decent and overall a pretty good show. I get what your saying and the whole nostalgic aspect, aka revisionist past. But could it be simply put the movie could just suck? 

Could it be simply a bad movie that was made because lack of ideas and creativity and overall just a cash cow? I mean even when you look at some of the most simple of cartoons aka the tom and jerrys, etc... they still appeal and hold water years later. Hey look at things like the marvel movies and wb movies and tv shows cartoons. 

Im not saying the og tmnt movies should be like 90 something ranking on rotten tomato or anything, or award worthy but when you consider the timeframe and technology for that time the movie was a solid effort. And even if you updated it to modern days time with tech etc... i still think it would fair well. Some of these movies, not saying tmnt is or hoping it will be, are just half **** efforts... to which they dont even try to make the best movie possible.

Thats the thing i think many ppl criticize about some of these remake movies. Some while true are stuck on the past and no matter what will see the og as the best no matter what. But some expect atleast some sort of effort to try to make the movie great and just arent about a cash grab. 

I think it would be bad froma story line point . the visual looks really good but mike bay don't do story well.

The story of OG tmnt was to the point. The action scenes kinda sucked. The acting kinda sucked.

It was what it was and I loved it even to this day. With that said it would get 40% on RT

iuno i looked at the tmnt movie recently and it wasnt great but its overall premise it still was a decent/pretty good movie. Same with the animated series. The new animated series even tho im older (the nick version) is pretty decent and overall a pretty good show. I get what your saying and the whole nostalgic aspect, aka revisionist past. But could it be simply put the movie could just suck? 

Could it be simply a bad movie that was made because lack of ideas and creativity and overall just a cash cow? I mean even when you look at some of the most simple of cartoons aka the tom and jerrys, etc... they still appeal and hold water years later. Hey look at things like the marvel movies and wb movies and tv shows cartoons. 

Im not saying the og tmnt movies should be like 90 something ranking on rotten tomato or anything, or award worthy but when you consider the timeframe and technology for that time the movie was a solid effort. And even if you updated it to modern days time with tech etc... i still think it would fair well. Some of these movies, not saying tmnt is or hoping it will be, are just half **** efforts... to which they dont even try to make the best movie possible.

Thats the thing i think many ppl criticize about some of these remake movies. Some while true are stuck on the past and no matter what will see the og as the best no matter what. But some expect atleast some sort of effort to try to make the movie great and just arent about a cash grab. 

Oh for sure it can suck...

But our expectations play a huge part on how a movie is perceived.

No expectations, no internet hype, very little promotion back when the OG TMNT hit, left us as kids IN LOVE....fast forward to the world we live in now, social media promotion, restaurant sponsorships, blogs, YouTube, set pictures released a year in advance, weve been expecting this movie now for over a year since almost nothing can be kept a secret nowadays, so our expectations build up even if we don't want them to, to the point that when this film is finally released those expectations probably won't be met, TBH by the time we finally see it, we are probably sick of talking about it...lol

DEAD ON!

Lets not let the nostalgia goggles blind us now.... The first movie was decent, the rest not so much... and the Cartoon was flat out terrible. I went back to watch a few eps and DAMN.... The dialogue and storylines were non-existent. In the same vein as MOTU, MASK, Gem and many others; the TMNT "TV show" was nothing but a 30 minute long commercial intended to sell toys.

Oh for sure it can suck...

But our expectations play a huge part on how a movie is perceived.

No expectations, no internet hype, very little promotion back when the OG TMNT hit, left us as kids IN LOVE....fast forward to the world we live in now, social media promotion, restaurant sponsorships, blogs, YouTube, set pictures released a year in advance, weve been expecting this movie now for over a year since almost nothing can be kept a secret nowadays, so our expectations build up even if we don't want them to, to the point that when this film is finally released those expectations probably won't be met, TBH by the time we finally see it, we are probably sick of talking about it...lol
yea but key and great example gotg... it was by all accounts the weaker of the marvel universe... never really fared well in terms of the comics, game references etc... wasnt really true to the comic and yet in still was a great movie. Look at the batman series (the latest ones) many can argue the dark knight series is better then any of the other batman renditions, a damn sure better then the 70's tv series. Same for installments of cpt america, spiderman the list goes on.

And you could argue that all of those series and movies received and got alot more hype and anticipation then this tmnt movie. Especially with the likes of spiderman and batman and superman. And while those did rake in a ton of cash, merchandising etc.. they still put out pretty damn great products. I dont think its wrong to have expectations like this for tmnt. Or be disappointed if the movie is just meh. 

Last edited:
Lets not let the nostalgia goggles blind us now.... The first movie was decent, the rest not so much... and the Cartoon was flat out terrible. I went back to watch a few eps and DAMN.... The dialogue and storylines were non-existent. In the same vein as MOTU, MASK, Gem and many others; the TMNT "TV show" was nothing but a 30 minute long commercial intended to sell toys.
And i think most ppl agree with that.... I never really heard anyone praise any of the tmnt sequels... or hail the cartoon as some all time great. And many are open to criticizing them... I just think the movie (current one) should be allowed to be criticized... esp seeing as the og was well the og, and after all these years can be used to view the good/bad about the movies and improve/better with the current... especially in the technology aspect... (which tbh, these turtles just look bad..and no its not because of nostalgia, they just look bad) 

Michael Bay has a history of taking advantage of certain artistic liberties and not staying faithful or accurate to the source. If you want to see 2.5 hours of explosions, military combat, expensive special effects, and Megan Fox, then by all means. TMNT doesn't require the worlds best film makers, but I just feel like Bay's style doesn't work with this franchise. The complaints have been that this doesn't look like a TMNT movie as much as another Michael Bay explosion packed action fest. Why can't someone else handle TMNT and Bay just create new franchises instead of misrepresenting old ones?

Michael Bay has a history of taking advantage of certain artistic liberties and not staying faithful or accurate to the source. If you want to see 2.5 hours of explosions, military combat, expensive special effects, and Megan Fox, then by all means. TMNT doesn't require the worlds best film makers, but I just feel like Bay's style doesn't work with this franchise. The complaints have been that this doesn't look like a TMNT movie as much as another Michael Bay explosion packed action fest. Why can't someone else handle TMNT and Bay just create new franchises instead of misrepresenting old ones?

YEAH I used to rock with Bay, but At this point he should Just stick to putting out another BadBoys film, best thing he has Ever out out IMO

"The way people have been talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you'd think Michael Bay directed it. After seeing it, you may wish he had. I did" :lol:

"The way people have been talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you'd think Michael Bay directed it. After seeing it, you may wish he had. I did" :lol:

Bay might not of directed it, but he's still a producer and it's being produced by his production company. You can see his DNA all over it. It's Transformers reskinned.

I won't read any reviews until after I see the movie. I do that with any movie I plan to watch. If you come in pretty much wanting it to suck, it will.

TMNT 1,2 and 3 were always classics for me. If this one was done with a darker feel to it, similar to Nolan's batman, i think it would be better. The first on was pretty dark, and gritty. That fight scene on the roof against Shredder
pimp.gif
, Ralph getting jumped was always hard to watch

Yeah. I still love the first 2. I can't even watch the third one. It's a chore to watch it. I didn't even like the third one as a kid.

Part 2 now has some cringe worthy moments tbh. My he vanilla ice thing is what it is but by today's standards it's live having drake sing a tmnt song mid movie

I am going to happy hour+ then right over to see this on Friday

I have a feeling this movie bombs pretty good; it doesn't help Gaurdians is gonna rake in another $40-50 million at least in it's second weekend

Back
Top Bottom